Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Defensively he's always been solid except the odd lapse of concentration at the back post.

Don't think he offers anywhere near enough on the ball to be a starting right back for us. Not if we want to be competing for the big two prizes on a regular basis.

We do probably have more pressing concerns this summer and could get away him in the team next year but ideally I'd like a modern day marauding right back that makes chances and is a constant threat. Antony needs an overlapping right back more than a man who is lost in the desert for 2 days needs water as well.

Chance creation is a massive issue for us

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Lazarus like recovery from AWB.
Give him a new deal. Whether we get another RB as well or not, he’s a very useful player to have in games.

waza7111

As an out and out defender there aren't many right backs in world football who are better than him.

That's a good reason to keep him because there will be times when a defensively solid right back is needed.

stevoc

Can't believe no booking. One of the most mental one sided referee performances I've ever seen and the BBC were praising the ref.
It was happening all game, how they got through that game with only one booking late on is baffling.

gajender

Lazarus like recovery from AWB.
Give him a new deal. Whether we get another RB as well or not, he’s a very useful player to have in games.
Giving him the new deal would be continuation of stupid mistakes United has been known for making , he is not good enough United fan base it seems gets swayed easily

Does it make sense to keep him financially as back up , let's see he was bought on as first team regular so must be already on pretty good wages so any contract extension he would definitely want some serious raise on long term contract , it's simply not prudent to give that kind of contract to a player who is fundamentally at odds at how a Big Club should play when he would never be more than backup .

I say get rid while his stock is high than get stuck with another player who isn't good enough .

Donut

I have this nagging feeling that EtH doesn’t rate him and want to sell him.
It seems that he made up his mind about him very early on, but AWB is proving him wrong and he’s not being too stubborn about it since it clearly benefits the team. He’s a much better player than Dalot.

flappyjay

Nah I think Malacia should be the one looking over his shoulder. You don't want to be the left back who is losing his place to a right back. We will buy a right back, I don't think it will be this summer. I think EtH might be satisfied for now.

red.knight

AWB was never a bad defender, he remains the best tackler in the league. I remember nothing got past him a few seasons ago. Sterling got so frustrated that he switched wings. Credit to the coaches. His positional play has improved massively. Hopefully the loses in concentration are a thing of the past. I agree he still needs to improve going forward but good coaching should solve that. Keep him till the summer. He's shown that his head is right and that he's focused. Let him rotate with Dalot, and then re-evaluate in the summer. Shame but his long-term future seems to be away from Old Trafford.

beacon

All Creatures Great and Small
Giving him the new deal would be continuation of stupid mistakes United has been known for making , he is not good enough United fan base it seems gets swayed easily

Does it make sense to keep him financially as back up , let's see he was bought on as first team regular so must be already on pretty good wages so any contract extension he would definitely want some serious raise on long term contract , it's simply not prudent to give that kind of contract to a player who is fundamentally at odds at how a Big Club should play when he would never be more than backup .

I say get rid while his stock is high than get stuck with another player who isn't good enough .
I'll be gutted if he goes, my son will no longer be able to say 'Wan Bissaka, two Bissaka, three Bissaka" every time he hears his name :smirk:

I think you are probably right though.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Full clip
:drool:

People are rightfully giving ten Hag and the coaching staff credit for improving his game but you also have to give massive credit to the player. Wan Bissaka has clearly worked hard over the last year to improve his football. We seen videos of him last summer working with trainers away from Carrington to improve his dribbling. I can't believe he was mocked by some for that at the time.

Nickelodeon

Fair fecks to him. He has shown grit at a time when his United career seemed dead and buried. Good lad.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

People are rightfully giving ten Hag and the coaching staff credit for improving his game but you also have to give massive credit to the player. Wan Bissaka has clearly worked hard over the last year to improve his football. We seen videos of him last summer working with trainers away from Carrington to improve his dribbling. I can't believe he was mocked by some for that at the time.
Tbf to AWB, he was always among the top RBs in the league when it comes to dribbles completed and tackles won. It was his passing that was poor.

Ekeke

Yes, especially when you get the vitriol online from the laymans who dont understand his job and what he's asked to do even a tenth as much as he does. To persevere after being out of form and losing his place, rightly, last season and come back and be our best player in an F.A cup semi final and play well on most occasions this season shows great character. Plenty of players just fall off when they arent first choice and arent playing weekly, and then move on to a lesser club to get more gametime hoping they can recapture past form.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tbf to AWB, he was always among the top RBs in the league when it comes to dribbles completed and tackles won. It was his passing that was poor.
Passing and concentration levels at backpost defending. I think they’re still pretty iffy, and in an ideal world we get an upgrade at RB on both him and Dalot who excels at a few things a piece but neither of them are top tier.

But that ideal world isn’t likely and we have far bigger fish to fry… So I’d be alright with retaining the pair

Ekeke

Seems an odd choice to start a player you dont rate and want to sell, especially in a semi final of a cup after going out of a competition the last time your team played. Think you're projecting

Idxomer

He's got one year left hasn't he?

So you need to offer him a new deal (even though Dalot has improved significantly and you're looking at other RBs) or sell him for 25-30m.

Given how Emery has us set up he'd be the perfect RB for his system as the right sided full back has to tuck in amongst the CBs when out of possession while it's the LB who provides the width and crosses which Moreno has been doing very well indeed last 6 weeks.

Can see logic in West Ham aswell given how poor Kehrer has been and he might want to go back to London but you'll have decent interest given he's still mid 20s with very good premier league and european experience now.
2, because the club has an option for 1 more year like most players at United.

redcucumber

Seems an odd choice to start a player you dont rate and want to sell, especially in a semi final of a cup after going out of a competition the last time your team played. Think you're projecting
We've been heavily linked with Frimpong and it makes sense that ten Hag would want a right back more suited to his style of football. AWB was again among the names touted to be sold this summer the other day, and if ten Hag does want to bring in a right back more in his image then one of Dalot or Wan-Bissaka are out. I'd rather keep AWB at this point but Dalot's versatility might be preferred.

twitter thread suggester
Maybe. We will see. We are heavily linked with Frimpong. We won’t have three RBs in the squad that all expect to start.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
25-30m?
You’ll get one leg
He's got 12 months left on his deal, not 3-4 years. If you want to price him out of the market and lose him on a free next year fair enough.

Arsenal signed Zinchenko for 30m last summer. They'll probably sell Tierney to Newcastle for similar amount.

AWB has just spent the past year behind Dalot in pecking order which interested clubs will be pointing out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
2, because the club has an option for 1 more year like most players at United.
Ah right fair enough, gets that will be activated and put him in 30m + bracket.

Ultimately if you sign Frimpong in summer there's no space for him in squad unless Dalot at LB is a more regular option next season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ah right fair enough, gets that will be activated and put him in 30m + bracket.

Ultimately if you sign Frimpong in summer there's no space for him in squad unless Dalot at LB is a more regular option next season.
I’ll be surprised if we sign frimpong at the money quoted when we have other glaring priorities. I think AWB will stay

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Passing and concentration levels at backpost defending. I think they’re still pretty iffy, and in an ideal world we get an upgrade at RB on both him and Dalot who excels at a few things a piece but neither of them are top tier.

But that ideal world isn’t likely and we have far bigger fish to fry… So I’d be alright with retaining the pair
Noted during the match yesterday that he actually won a few headers. Looks like he may have been working on those too

TsuWave

Dalot doesn’t excel at anything if we’re being honest. AWB at least can lock most attackers down 1v1.

in my opinion, we should sell Dalot and get a better RB to start, keep AWB to rotate and play games in which we need to be more solid or need to nullify a specific attacker on that side.

Ekeke

We've been heavily linked with Frimpong and it makes sense that ten Hag would want a right back more suited to his style of football. AWB was again among the names touted to be sold this summer the other day, and if ten Hag does want to bring in a right back more in his image then one of Dalot or Wan-Bissaka are out. I'd rather keep AWB at this point but Dalot's versatility might be preferred.
We've been heavily linked with loads of players we dont sign, some of which we werent actually interested in

Jeffthered

He played v well yesterday, he managed Mitoma relatively well, a v v dangerous player. I think he will always be a 2nd choice though because the limitations in his game are v apparent. His last ditch recovery tackles are great to observe, but this also highlights his frailties... good defenders should not need to be making these 'rescue' tackles so often, and his all-round game needs such work. It's improving for sure and Manchester United under ETH is the best place for him. But he isn't our first choice right-back, can't be.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
As good as he's been defensively....we still have an glaring lack of attacking threat down the right.

I think Shaw + Rashford is a good way ahead of Antony + AWB personally.

Keeping him is fine but we need a top attacking right back too to rotate and use when it benefits us more to play on the front foot.

RuudtheRed

Besides defending, it often flies under the radar that he's also a master of Las Croquetas.

redcucumber

We've been heavily linked with loads of players we dont sign, some of which we werent actually interested in
Let's wait and see. I'm of the opinion ten Hag wants a more attacking right back, you clearly aren't.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The thing is he has quite a high value on the market IMO if you're looking for very good defender (also good on the ball). But I think we should keep him and focus on other priorities.

aeh1991

I would keep him if we go after an attacking RB like Frimpong. AWB can be so useful if we face strong LWs, while I think an attacking RB would struggle in certain situations. Dalot on the other hand is neither good enough at attacking nor at defending as a starting RB for United imo. He'd probably suit a team in Italy better. I'd try sell him for a good price.

stevoc

Going off this season he's improved greatly and is a much better player than Dalot has shown. If we got a top attacking RB in this summer we should keep Wan Bissaka as the back-up and cash in on Dalot.

The Original

Has to be said at this point, it's funny how AWB is a better dribbler/has more penetration than Anthony. They do link up well but often its AWB who makes the telling attacking contribution.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Has to be said at this point, it's funny how AWB is a better dribbler/has more penetration than Anthony. They do link up well but often its AWB who makes the telling attacking contribution.
Is there anything to back this up?

Antony clearly has more attacking contributions and the opposition are likely to give AWB space on the ball because he's less dangerous. Antony gets double teamed in the final third.

Status
Not open for further replies.