Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSV

Watching him today vs. Southampton, he has improved his attacking game but seems to have forgotten how to defend. I worry about his football IQ though - he always seems to be out of position or choose the wrong place to send the ball to. Sloppy passing and clearances today that put us under pressure. Was surprised he was not subbed. But to be fair, he did get forward quite well and was more threatening than our wingers today.
Well, not much has changed. His entire United career he's been an excellent dueler, but absent-minded when it comes to positioning. The last bit is worrying and I'm unsure how coachable it is.

sideshowbob

Anyone think he'll be in contention for the England squad this time around? Southgate has said in the past hes not good enough on the ball but surely he'll have seen the improvements this season. With the Walker scandal and Reece James only just back from injury I reckon theres a small chance.

Based Adnan

Anyone think he'll be in contention for the England squad this time around? Southgate has said in the past hes not good enough on the ball but surely he'll have seen the improvements this season. With the Walker scandal and Reece James only just back from injury I reckon theres a small chance.
No chance. His improvement on the ball has been exaggerated this season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
No chance. His improvement on the ball has been exaggerated this season.
There has not been much improvement on the ball. The big difference is that EtH has removed AWB from the build up. He also appears to have a clearer instruction on where to move higher up the pitch.

Raw

He's probably been bumped up based on recent form, but there's still plenty of players ahead of him. James, Trippier, Walker and Trent will be preferred over him. Plus Ben White can play RB too.

Rusholme Ruffian

He seems a foot taller, a yard faster, and in a very strong mental place since he came into the team after Christmas. Still work to be done, but he's getting forward much more effectively and seems twice as fit. ETH has worked magic with him as far as I'm concerned.

Gandalf

He's probably been bumped up based on recent form, but there's still plenty of players ahead of him. James, Trippier, Walker and Trent will be preferred over him. Plus Ben White can play RB too.
Something weird went on with him prior to flouncing out of the England camp at the World Cup, Sir Gareth Waistcoat has not picked him in the squad today so I imagine Ben White may have played his last for England under this manager.

Sylar

He's an enigma. His passing is weird and seems to be underhit or behind players at times.
But when he gets the ball he can run with it and some of his one touch stuff can be really good

Rusholme Ruffian

He's an enigma. His passing is weird and seems to be underhit or behind players at times.
But when he gets the ball he can run with it and some of his one touch stuff can be really good
Absolutely. I used to wince if somebody passed him the ball under pressure, but he seems really comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces now, and usually makes the right decision. Hes not just back to the player he was when we signed him, he's actually significantly better imho. It's witchcraft!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Absolutely. I used to wince if somebody passed him the ball under pressure, but he seems really comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces now, and usually makes the right decision. Hes not just back to the player he was when we signed him, he's actually significantly better imho. It's witchcraft!
He was always good in tight spaces though, i used to have this argument with people who were saying that he was a crap footballer. He’s good at playing his way out of tight spots when he needs to

Blood Mage

The way he progresses the ball up the pitch is Pogba-esque at times. Just a shame his passing is still shit.

Marwood

He was always good in tight spaces though, i used to have this argument with people who were saying that he was a crap footballer. He’s good at playing his way out of tight spots when he needs to
Same here. He's always had an ability to get out of trouble. Which is handy because we sure like to put him in trouble.

What has changed and I think its deliberate. He plays way more one and two touch stuff. It suits him because the more time he has on the ball the more his limitations show. He's now moving the ball on quicker. Must be an instruction.

One other major thing. Have we ever seen AWB rolling around, screaming in pain? The lad is old school.

Long Time Red

Same here. He's always had an ability to get out of trouble. Which is handy because we sure like to put him in trouble.

What has changed and I think its deliberate. He plays way more one and two touch stuff. It suits him because the more time he has on the ball the more his limitations show. He's now moving the ball on quicker. Must be an instruction.

One other major thing. Have we ever seen AWB rolling around, screaming in pain? The lad is old school.
I've made this point before but having proper players around him that always want the ball makes a massive difference.

A lot of time it would be played out to him and he'd have McTominay and Fed hiding in midfield and Dan James or Lingard hiding ahead of him.

Casemiro and Eriksen have always showed for the ball this season and even Anthony in fairness to him always make an option for him as well.

city-puma

Agreed. That’s the most weird thing some people keep saying that here.

next_number_seven

I think it's his passing and crossing which is poor rather than his dribbling.
He's very quick and agile so can dribble his way out of trouble

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
You know AWB is in his best form when he pulls off those dribbles and cheeky touches. The crossing and acute passing is still at a 35 percentile rate I'd reckon in terms of effectiveness, maybe sheer experience might get that up to 42ish but he'll never convince.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Such a bizarre footballer. Plays the game nonchalantly. Not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing.

It’s like in Fifa when the ball goes near a player and they suddenly become ‘active’ and have an icon above their head. It’s like that with him.

Last edited:

Galactico

Such a bizarre footballer. Plays the game nonchalantly. Not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing.

It’s like in Fifa when the ball goes near a player and they suddenly become ‘active’ and have an icon above their head. It’s like that otherwise with him.
That FIFA comment is so accurate! He is sleep walking until the arrow points to him.

Sylar

It’s like in Fifa when the ball goes near a player and they suddenly become ‘active’ and have an icon above their head. It’s like that with him.
:lol: Thats a good way to put it. Its strange because he can do some really good stuff when the ball is at his feet.
but then we see other stuff and it reminds us why we need a quality RB coming in (but then again, it shouldnt be ahead ofsome other positions)

jesperjaap

Would agree, when we signed him, I genuinely thought he could be the starting right back for England, hasnt progressed how I hoped. However, I personally if was the manager would only put James and Walker ahead of him. Tripper is having a really good season but is being overly praised I feel and Ben WHite is a constently decent right back, a better cb for me...TAA always has been the most over hyped right back I have ever come across, though very good going forward.....he is 5x worse defending than Bissaka attacking.

I still pick Bissaka over Dalot all day and tbh if I was replaying that France game or we had someone elite to face on the left wing....Walker is still the only one I start over him, though his positioning at times is poor and his defending crosses....defensively he is still so under rated for me....seems to be as he goes to ground so often.....its not a weakness, how many times have we see it go wrong? Barely ever

acnumber9

He gets sick a lot. Or is that just a cover for something else? Could really have used him against Saint Maximin today.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That reverse pass and keeping the ball in play from Bruno’s over hit pass was fantastic

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Had he not missed that sitter, he'd be my PotM. Very good today, looked like he enjoyed that one.

Olecurls99

Pushed Bruno for MOTM. Fantastic in possession and great at winning the ball back. He's won that position outright for me.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He was fantastic. I’d love for him to have bit more confidence in his shooting. Could have had a couple.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Much better than Dalot at this moment. Great game.

Wonderful to see his resilience.

Status
Not open for further replies.