Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'd take this kid over the French Darmian. I see so much debate over his attacking stats, but does anyone else know how good Robertson of Liverpool's stats were at 21 in this respect? He got 2 assists for Hull in the league. The following season he managed 4 and the season after that he got 2 again. Now he's one of the best attacking fullbacks in the league in a more attacking side
Sorry but who is the French Darmian?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People are exaggerating the attacking support required by a fullback. Attackers and mids are meant to provide the threat, fullbacks are just a bonus if they can support well.

G Neville and and Evra for example were never amazing going forward. Neither was Brown.
Evra was fantastic going forward. His final ball wasn't great, but otherwise he regularly dominated the entire left side of the pitch both defensively and offensively. There aren't many other than Marcelo and Dani Alves who provided more offensively than he did.

Fullbacks play a massive part in the shape of the team as a whole. A good offensive fullback won't just help the winger attack, they also provide two extra bodies helping actually keep hold of the ball and making it easier to control the team around.

Giggsyking

For 50-60 mil you buy full back who is good in all areas. I agree that being good in defence is something which is primary for full back but Shaw also is not attacking machine so having 2 defensive full backs in squad would be disaster. You can't play attacking football with limited full backs(and WB is really technically limited).

We should stay away from Wan-Bissaka. Especially for that price
Like who?

Loublaze

ATLien
He's not French and he doesn't play like Darmien!
Darmian was all the rage before he signed for United. Based on the analysis of CAF experts here I thought we were getting a gem of a rightback, an attacking one at that.

Last edited:

crackers0seven

It's not my money so pay whatever. I rate him. Brilliant the season gone, hes able to defend which is number 1. Attacking can improve as he develops. Him or cancelo and I'll be very happy with RB. as for all the fans crying about the money,if we start season with young as rb you will be crying alot more. Spend the money. We spend very little last summer. Playing catch up now

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I spoke with my Palace supporting mate earlier and he said that we will be getting a hell of a player.

He also said that he was originally a winger that they converted to fullback so the idea he can’t attack is silly.
Now that's something you don't hear everyday.

Litch

I like him a lot. I'm not bothered what he costs or whether he's worth it as that logic ended a long time ago when Trev Francis cost million quid. We are in no position to barter either and I'm sure most of us would agree I'd sooner pay the extra 20m than another year of Young. The guy at PSG might be another option but I'd sooner someone we've taken from a club that wants to keep them than someone who is simply surplus to requirements....

LJJT

I like him from what I’ve seen but regardless of price tag we got Dalot last year who’s meant to be the long term right back. He’s had a reasonable first season and will get better and better so makes more sense I think to get Meunier for £20m or so and use him/develop Dalot. We can spuff the £50m saved elsewhere

jeffon

Ed should pay the $60 million and get this one done, move on to cb and cm.

Loublaze

ATLien
I like him from what I’ve seen but regardless of price tag we got Dalot last year who’s meant to be the long term right back. He’s had a reasonable first season and will get better and better so makes more sense I think to get Meunier for £20m or so and use him/develop Dalot. We can spuff the £50m saved elsewhere
I don't think Solskjaer sees it this way otherwise he wouldn't be looking at other young rightbacks and he wouldn't have mostly played Dalot as an auxiliary RW. The manager should be allowed to get the players he wants within reason and live with his decisions. AWB is attainable if Palace soften their stance. I think a deal will be hashed out before the transfer window shuts, maybe long before that.

Roboc7

Dalot has to earn the right to be the long term RB, whether we sign Meunier, AWB or anyone else he won’t be first choice for 2-3 years at best unless he improves considerably.

Ole should buy the best RB he can get for his system and way of playing. The current options he has aren’t good enough and can’t have another season without a proper RB.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So, we are here just ignoring the fact that last 5 years Valencia is "abused" for his attacking game?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd take this kid over the French Darmian. I see so much debate over his attacking stats, but does anyone else know how good Robertson of Liverpool's stats were at 21 in this respect? He got 2 assists for Hull in the league. The following season he managed 4 and the season after that he got 2 again. Now he's one of the best attacking fullbacks in the league in a more attacking side
Who is the French Darmian? The Belgian?

And anyone who watched Robertson at Hull could see his attacking quality. He was always brilliant at carrying the ball forward.

Loublaze

ATLien
Who is the French Darmian? The Belgian?

And anyone who watched Robertson at Hull could see his attacking quality. He was always brilliant at carrying the ball forward.
Did you watch him yourself? The numbers didn't reflect that, and AWB produced more at 21 than Robertson at the same age, even if he played more. In subsequent seasons for Hull with similar minutes to AWB's last season, his attacking numbers still weren't very impressive, they got better after he signed for Liverpool. There was a CP supporter in here somewhere who mentioned that AWB's attacking prowess is limited by the way the team plays.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Fecking shit press. I just got a story on my phone that says we've agreed a 5-year deal for him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Did you watch him yourself? The numbers didn't reflect that, and AWB produced more at 21 than Robertson at the same age, even if he played more. In subsequent seasons for Hull with similar minutes to AWB's last season, his attacking numbers still weren't very impressive, they got better after he signed for Liverpool. There was a CP supporter in here somewhere who mentioned that AWB's attacking prowess is limited by the way the team plays.
I did watch him myself. And was banging on in every relevant thread that we should sign him from Hull. And at the time, I had no idea what his ‘stats’ were. I just watched him and saw his talent.

And I’m not trying to sound extra clever by saying I watched him. If anything, I think the pseudo experts are those who think they are in some sort of analysis team trawling through stats and trying to interpret them.

On to AWB, I think he is defensively the best full back in the league. He’s extremely difficult to beat one on one. I’m just not sure that is the thing that can transform a side, although it is obviously useful. Personally, I want someone who can protect the ball well under pressure so he can link with his teammates down the flank and build/sustain attacks. Also someone who can carry the ball well at speed up the pitch and maintain width. Offensively speaking, I think actual brilliant crossing is a bonus. Being comfortable on the ball and able to keep it and carry it are key for me. Of course, you can’t be a defensive liability either, but I think now, good defensive full-backs are just people wingers can’t run away from. If you are strong and fast with a good engine, you have the tools to be a good offensive/defensive full back. My only question with AWB is his ability to keep the ball under pressure and link with his teammates.

Loublaze

ATLien
I did watch him myself. And was banging on in every relevant thread that we should sign him from Hull. And at the time, I had no idea what his ‘stats’ were. I just watched him and saw his talent.

And I’m not trying to sound extra clever by saying I watched him. If anything, I think the pseudo experts are those who think they are in some sort of analysis team trawling through stats and trying to interpret them.

On to AWB, I think he is defensively the best full back in the league. He’s extremely difficult to beat one on one. I’m just not sure that is the thing that can transform a side, although it is obviously useful. Personally, I want someone who can protect the ball well under pressure so he can link with his teammates down the flank and build/sustain attacks. Also someone who can carry the ball well at speed up the pitch and maintain width. Offensively speaking, I think actual brilliant crossing is a bonus. Being comfortable on the ball and able to keep it and carry it are key for me. Of course, you can’t be a defensive liability either, but I think now, good defensive full-backs are just people wingers can’t run away from. If you are strong and fast with a good engine, you have the tools to be a good offensive/defensive full back. My only question with AWB is his ability to keep the ball under pressure and link with his teammates.
Which RB fits this bill in your opinion? I've missed it if you mentioned it here because I haven't read all the posts,

Bwuk

Some of the fees getting banded around for him are ridiculous.

I like him but can’t help but feel we are paying way above what he’s worth.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Which RB fits this bill in your opinion? I've missed it if you mentioned it here because I haven't read all the posts,
If I could pick any, I would chose Joao Cancelo, as I think he’s the best around. Of the English lot, Max Aarons looks to fit the mould to me, although I have only seen two full games of his, rest are clips, and Ricardo Pereira looks balanced going both ways in terms of PL.

I think comfort in possession is crucial. Otherwise you will be seeing more Ashley Young-style hoods down the line all game. I know he’s not a RB, but Jordi Alba is brilliant in that he is on the same wavelength as the rest technically. He can be involved in the little triangles to play out of a press, and has the engine to run up and down the flank. I don’t know how many goals or assists he actually gets, but he’s a massive weapon going forward.

George The Best

It’s today’s market and it’s a sellers one if you’ve got a good asset. Palace don’t want to lose both him and Zaha so they’ll hold out for the maximum price possible to either prevent it, or at least ease the pain. Imo I think we’ll likely go back in with an improved offer fairly quickly. The kid is already in the U21 training camp in Italy and could be there until July 1st if we make the final. We either make this stick very soon, and get the medical over with, so he can keep preparing for the first match on the 18th - or we pull out now.

edgar allan

We will be paying way over market value for everyone we sign, that's just the way it is.

Don't worry the Glaziers won't lose out on dividend payouts either way.

manuchamp88

I'd take this kid over the French Darmian.
Damn, 2 burns on Meunier. He's Belgian and a level above Darmian. Plus, he clearly wants to come here, all that flirting he's doing. We could with more players who actually want to be here and give their all.

manuchamp88

Darmian was all the rage before he signed for United. Based on the analysis of CAF experts here I thought we were getting a gem of a rightback, an attacking one at that.
Was the best RB in Serie A at the time according to a certain Italian He Who Must Not Be Named journo.

The Nani

Damn, 2 burns on Meunier. He's Belgian and a level above Darmian. Plus, he clearly wants to come here, all that flirting he's doing. We could with more players who actually want to be here and give their all.
Nah we should keep throwing stupid fees and wages at players to entice them to come. It’s worked so far.

manuchamp88

Nah we should keep throwing stupid fees and wages at players to entice them to come. It’s worked so far.
Exactly. Let's ditch being Mugchester United and try a different tact! Nothing against Wan-Bissaka, seems a decent player on the whole but it's silly money and a big risk just so we can be Brexit-Potential FC.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He did look good tbh. He was being chased by Barcelona and Bayern Munich the summer he joined us. And I remember the first time I saw him in the World Cup, he absolutely ran England ragged down the right flank (although admittedly England had Wayne Rooney playing left wing that day!).

The Nani

Exactly. Let's ditch being Mugchester United and try a different tact! Nothing against Wan-Bissaka, seems a decent player on the whole but it's silly money and a big risk just so we can be Brexit-Potential FC.
Meunier will end up being yet another we piss and moan over like Fabinho. He’s absolutely pining for the move and we don’t even seem interested.

AWB and Maguire aren’t remotely worth the outlay touted. So annoying.

manuchamp88

Meunier will end up being yet another we piss and moan over like Fabinho. He’s absolutely pining for the move and we don’t even seem interested.

AWB and Maguire aren’t remotely worth the outlay touted. So annoying.
It's gutting. Just hope we wake up!

On the subject, I wonder what other top players at other clubs are United fans?

Marvin-ator

People are exaggerating the attacking support required by a fullback. Attackers and mids are meant to provide the threat, fullbacks are just a bonus if they can support well.

G Neville and and Evra for example were never amazing going forward. Neither was Brown.
Couldn't disagree more. Full backs are arguably the most important player in the modern game...provide foil when overlapping, help overload defence, secondary assists and help pack the midfield - all of which Nev was class at!

Status
Not open for further replies.