Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As impressive as AWB, I certainly think that TFM is capable of the same as him. They have similar strengths and weaknesses for me, and although this Fulham loan was poor, he was very impressive at Palace himself. And with us in his first year!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
But that was not considered their worst quality. Let's be honest here the most we have always complained about these two is their attacking contribution. We wanted Darmian because supposedly he had better offensive qualities. Let's not rewrite history here.
Agree to disagree then. I've always thought that those two were naff defensively and a bunch of goals have been cost due to them being out of position/not great defensively.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Unfortunately, it's the other way around. It's a defensive game that can be developed while attacking is more natural.
I've watched him going forward and I doubt he would ever each Dalot's potential at the other end of the pitch. The later looks like a natural with the ball at his feet.
That's only really true if you aren't expecting the winger ahead to do anything.

If we're using our winger like Salah who's playing more as a striker, then yes we need somebody like Dani Alves.

If we're using a winger that's actually involved with the end product then we can get away with a Neville/Walker/Rafael etc.

They just have to be able to back the winger up and offer clever movement and link up play.

AWB used to be a winger for most of his young career so i'd be amazed if he cannot do the simple things required.

Personally I think with the way Palace play he hasn't really had a chance to show what he's got offensively. They sit back and counter attack with Zaha/Townsend more often than not, and they don't really build up play and look for possession. It's all quick direct attacks.

flappyjay

Agree to disagree then. I've always thought that those two were naff defensively and a bunch of goals have been cost due to them being out of position/not great defensively.
If we could look performance threads from the years before the main concern has always been their poor attacking contribution.

tony54

This post don't look out of place in this thread.

Since AWB is superb defensively, he must be crap going forward, ignoring he is the RB with most dribbles completed (and no, all of them are not in defensive third). He is 21 year old RB, who is superb defensively, completed most dribbles for a RB in top 5 leagues and somehow he won't improve his attacking play if he moves to bigger club and plays more attacking role.
I know that highlights of players can over show how good a player really is but after seeing the highlights kindly shown by the poster a short time ago I agree with you that AWB is/could be exactly what we need.

Skills

Snitch
There's a weird trend on here at times that players are unable to develop the weaknesses to their game. Yes, his attacking prowess is nowhere near the level of his defensive game currently but he's still only 21. It's not an attacking fullback that you need right now either. You've been using wingers as fullbacks for a couple of seasons now and guess what has been the main issue with them? Correct. How they are defensively.

Bringing in a new natural RW would be the most sensible way to complement AWBs obvious attacking weakness and it will develop naturally as a result. Footballers aren't linear robots that are set in their pathways, they can develop and nurture in the areas they need to and i have no doubt that AWB can develop the attacking side of his game if he's in a different side.
And nothing highlights this more than wanting the club to spunk another 50m on a RB, because the 19 year old RB they bought last season isn't good enough defensively.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And nothing highlights this more than wanting the club to spunk another 50m on a RB, because the 19 year old RB they bought last season isn't good enough defensively.
Good point. In any case we need one more RB, someone who is more ready for first team. At least going by last 6 months, don't think Ole trusts Dalot to start as RB every game. He played few games as winger and also as RB against weaker teams at home.

Don't mind having both in the team.

tony54

Unfortunately, it's the other way around. It's a defensive game that can be developed while attacking is more natural.
I've watched him going forward and I doubt he would ever each Dalot's potential at the other end of the pitch. The later looks like a natural with the ball at his feet.
I totally agree that Dalot is a good ball player and intelligent with the ball. I see him in a more attacking position with someone like AWB would be perfect playing at RB.

roonster09

Scout
Our FB options are poor in both quality and quantity. We have Shaw as first choice LB and Dalot is not a confirmed starter. Apart from that we have Young to cover both positions. Laird is still young and yet to play U23s if I'm not wrong and Darmian is linked with move away.

So signing FB is very important, AWB adds something different to Dalot and also Dalot can cover for RB, LB, RW so he will get plenty of minutes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not really. Great teams have great squads. Everyone was laughing at Pep for signing loads of fullbacks for mega money but now he has a wonderful selection at his disposal. Facts are that AWB is one of the best RBs in the league at the moment and Dalot isn’t despite having a lot of potential. RB is a weak spot in your side and needs upgrading in some capacity whether it’s to provide competition for Dalot or to play ahead of him.

Dalot is weak defensively and AWB in attack respective to their in game strengths and having the choice between either of them for different tactical battles is only a good thing. They can learn from each other too.

Skills

Snitch
Good point. In any case we need one more RB, someone who is more ready for first team. At least going by last 6 months, don't think Ole trusts Dalot to start as RB every game. He played few games as winger and also as RB against weaker teams at home.

Don't mind having both in the team.
I think it makes sense signing someone closer to the finished article, rather than a AWB. I think the holes in AWBs game will be exposed more if he comes here, and the Old Trafford crowd will destroy him if he doesn't hit the ground running. It's not a pleasant club to develop at atm.

tony54

As impressive as AWB, I certainly think that TFM is capable of the same as him. They have similar strengths and weaknesses for me, and although this Fulham loan was poor, he was very impressive at Palace himself. And with us in his first year!
Im a great believer in tfm and was disappointed in him being loaned as he was a good standin for a few positions. He could have been used as a standin right back ready to take over from ashly this year.
Perhaps Awb is more the finished article, at rb, than tfm but it will be good to see both tfm and tuanzebe re instated at old trafford next season.

roonster09

Scout
I think it makes sense signing someone closer to the finished article, rather than a AWB. I think the holes in AWBs game will be exposed more if he comes here, and the Old Trafford crowd will destroy him if he doesn't hit the ground running. It's not a pleasant club to develop at atm.
Won't disagree with any of that except the Old Trafford crowd part. Usually match going fans have lot of patience with young players.

Won't mind signing AWB or Meunier, both different players but that's the state we are in.

SaintMuppet

I may be in the minority but I think the most important asset a defender needs is to be able to ‘defend’

When you have a top dollar squad at the top of its game you can afford expansive wingback types bombing forward.

We don’t have anything near that as a squad so let’s get the basics down solidly first. A solid defense alone would have got us enough points for top four this season.

tony54

I may be in the minority but I think the most important asset a defender needs is to be able to ‘defend’

When you have a top dollar squad at the top of its game you can afford expansive wingback types bombing forward.

We don’t have anything near that as a squad so let’s get the basics down solidly first. A solid defense alone would have got us enough points for top four this season.
Cant disagree with this and there is every chance that awb would develope well.

Skills

Snitch
Won't disagree with any of that except the Old Trafford crowd part. Usually match going fans have lot of patience with young players.

Won't mind signing AWB or Meunier, both different players but that's the state we are in.
I don't think the groaning and frustration of match day fans discriminates against young or old players.

Fact is, a full back in the modern game is going to end up with a lot of the ball at his feet - and most of the time in the opposition half. If he's consistently unable to do anything productive/progressive with the ball, that frustration will turn on him.

I do think he's got the potential to end up a great player. But it's probably not as a RB and I'm pretty sure we're not the right club for his development.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
We need this guy even if we have Dalot + Laird.

The great teams in Europa have two quality players for each position. At the moment we dont have a single one for the right back position. AWB and Dalot (in the future) would set us up on this in this position for the next ten years.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I'm not sold. Think unless he improved drastically going forward were going to have the same issues of a completely non-existent right side in the attacking phase.

For example, look at the below game v Arsenal. Almost all the on the ball touches were not good. That will be ripped apart at United. Appreciate he's young, it's one game and he certainly has many other qualities but not convinced he's what we need.

Icemav

Very fair. And I like going by what the current fans say and CP fans do admit that too. To your point, being able to bring in Dalot as an alternative when we need that attacking width would be a great combination. I see AWB as quite necessary especially given this season's defensive ...er...what's a nice way of saying record breaking historic implosion?
He does look a great prospect, so I hope you are correct and he develops. He has bags of talent and probably worth the risk. Him and Dalot could provides an excellent 1-2 option for that right flank.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm not sold. Think unless he improved drastically going forward were going to have the same issues of a completely non-existent right side in the attacking phase.

For example, look at the below game v Arsenal. Almost all the on the ball touches were not good. That will be ripped apart at United. Appreciate he's young, it's one game and he certainly has many other qualities but not convinced he's what we need.

How about we actually buy a good attacking RW to solve the non existent attacking right side issue?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I agree with this. From what I saw in the league this season he was consistently very good against most opposition. Our RB's were consistently average at best, rubbish at worst. He's young, great potential and a proven prem performer. He's one of my 'most wanted' this season and will improve us instantly.

If he isn't as strong at going forward yet then we should make sure we have a strong attacking player in form of him. It's not rocket science.

Red_Orchestra

So we potentially might have another Darmian type of player as our right back?
This doesn't sound good at all.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
How about we actually buy a good attacking RW to solve the non existent attacking right side issue?
Go on, who? I can’t think of any United quality right wingers that are even remotely available besides Sancho, who wouldn’t come.

Of course, there’s the hidden gems out there and I agree it needs sorting but it’s proven to be a fecking difficult spot to fill for years.

Verminator

I don't think the groaning and frustration of match day fans discriminates against young or old players.

Fact is, a full back in the modern game is going to end up with a lot of the ball at his feet - and most of the time in the opposition half. If he's consistently unable to do anything productive/progressive with the ball, that frustration will turn on him.

I do think he's got the potential to end up a great player. But it's probably not as a RB and I'm pretty sure we're not the right club for his development.
We have had nearly a decade of Valencia and Young, who were even captained while providing feck all in assists. The crowd have been less critical than they should have been.

Anyone using Dalot as a reason for not signing Wan Bissaka, needs a reality check.
He may improve in time, but I think we bought a dud.
Money wise, we paid £20m for a kid from a foreign league, with a dozen first team games under his belt. AWB is a Prem proven player, and one of the best in his position.

Cassidy

Attacking threat from fullbacks is essential with or without a good right winger.
I agree, my point is fixing our non existent threat down the right, the priority should be a RW not a fullback. The fullback is a secondary issue, not the primary, which I expect AWB to be able to fulfil as he improves and plays in a more attacking side

ArjenIsM3

We have had nearly a decade of Valencia and Young, who were even captained while providing feck all in assists. The crowd have been less critical than they should have been.

Anyone using Dalot as a reason for not signing Wan Bissaka, needs a reality check.
He may improve in time, but I think we bought a dud.
Money wise, we paid £20m for a kid from a foreign league, with a dozen first team games under his belt. AWB is a Prem proven player, and one of the best in his position.
Besides, Dalot can play on the left too. He'll have ample games as a back-up to both Shaw and AWB (or any other RB that comes in)

Cassidy

Go on, who? I can’t think of any United quality right wingers that are even remotely available besides Sancho, who wouldn’t come.

Of course, there’s the hidden gems out there and I agree it needs sorting but it’s proven to be a fecking difficult spot to fill for years.
Cheisa (should be gettable), Bernadeschi (long shot), Pepe (another gettable), Under (gettable), Zaha, Dembele (barca another long shot), Ziyech (shouldn't be expensive)

Basically there are plenty who are massive upgrades on Mata, Lingard, and even Rashford as RW

Icemav

Its amazing how Liverpool saw something in Robertson. I just hope Ole makes some of these canny signings that fit into his system.

Suvvernmanc

Besides, Dalot can play on the left too. He'll have ample games as a back-up to both Shaw and AWB (or any other RB that comes in)
I said this earlier in thread about Dalot. Hes really versatile. Hes had his best games for us left and right wing. We paid £19m for Dalot, only £4m more than were rumoured to be paying for Daniel James, a player who is being bought for a back up role next season. If James is a 'punt', a 'risk', what the hell is Dalot?

If AWB comes in, he will be our starter at RB because his stats show he one of the best defensive right backs in the league. And hes 10 times better than Young or Valencia and our best RB since Raphael.!!

Bwuk

It's strange he's not good going forward as he was a winger but got played at RB so he could get game time.

Verminator

It's strange he's not good going forward as he was a winger but got played at RB so he could get game time.
That is a misconception. He's actually very good carrying the ball forward. He just doesn't have a lot of assists to his name, and his crossing needs work.
He overlaps and gets involved well enough. He's no Valencia type statue, or Darmian who gets a nosebleed going over the halfway line.

Bwuk

That is a misconception. He's actually very good carrying the ball forward. He just doesn't have a lot of assists to his name, and his crossing needs work.
He overlaps and gets involved well enough. He's no Valencia type statue, or Darmian who gets a nosebleed going over the halfway line.
Fair enough. I can't say I've seen much of him.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Cheisa (should be gettable), Bernadeschi (long shot), Pepe (another gettable), Under (gettable), Zaha, Dembele (barca another long shot), Ziyech (shouldn't be expensive)

Basically there are plenty who are massive upgrades on Mata, Lingard, and even Rashford as RW
I thought that first fella was off to Juve? The rest are a bit of a gamble, besides Ziyech who looks quality - but I thought he was destined for somewhere else too.

To be honest, we need to sign a big name at right mid more than anywhere. Get a few gems to replace the dross elsewhere.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Is it that or is it because the alternatives are Young and Darmian. What’s wrong with Dalot having to fight for a place ala Heinze v Evra. Dalot still has so much to prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.