Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
50m for a right back from Palace with one good season.

I'm not worried though. My £700 season ticket will go well into that.

flappyjay

After years of having a rb who was good defensively and shit in attack you lot a re hoping for something similar again. The fact that the only thing that is being discussed is how many times he got dribbled past and how good of a tackler he is should have you worried. I would rather have him good/excellent in attack and average in defense than the other way round. Also consider he will be playing on our right hand channel which has been shite for years in an offensive sense. A maybe he will improve his attacking ability won't cut it for us. Rather get Rafael back until a proper rb is available.

jesperjaap

After years of having a rb who was good defensively and shit in attack you lot a re hoping for something similar again. The fact that the only thing that is being discussed is how many times he got dribbled past and how good of a tackler he is should have you worried. I would rather have him good/excellent in attack and average in defense than the other way round. Also consider he will be playing on our right hand channel which has been shite for years in an offensive sense. A maybe he will improve his attacking ability won't cut it for us. Rather get Rafael back until a proper rb is available.
Rafael was with us for a few years and had one decent season the whole time he was here, never got beyond being rash in the tackle, positionally naive and was decent but nothing special going forward and you would rather have him than Bissaka who personally I dont understand the slating of him going forward whatsoever, English, 21 and already a quality full back in one season and should only improve in a position we have been awful in for years with full backs that were good going forward (until last year or so) and poor defensively and you are questioning other peoples opinions? Madness

flappyjay

Rafael was with us for a few years and had one decent season the whole time he was here, never got beyond being rash in the tackle, positionally naive and was decent but nothing special going forward and you would rather have him than Bissaka who personally I dont understand the slating of him going forward whatsoever, English, 21 and already a quality full back in one season and should only improve in a position we have been awful in for years with full backs that were good going forward (until last year or so) and poor defensively and you are questioning other peoples opinions? Madness
All evidence points at him not being good at it. Dribbles past opponents then does what with the ball? Fullback is more than being good defensively. Just like we need ball playing cb's we should be aiming for fullbacks who are good in attack. So far Aaron hasn't showed it has he? We are already waiting for Shaw to improve on that side of the game and it's probably easier to accept that when we have a somewhat productive left side. Our right side is already impotent as it is. So yeah i am questioning the same people complaining about how poor our fullbacks are at attacking then turning around and talk about how signing a defensive fullback would be great. It's fecking confusing.

jesperjaap

All evidence points at him not being good at it. Dribbles past opponents then does what with the ball? Fullback is more than being good defensively. Just like we need ball playing cb's we should be aiming for fullbacks who are good in attack. So far Aaron hasn't showed it has he? We are already waiting for Shaw to improve on that side of the game and it's probably easier to accept that when we have a somewhat productive left side. Our right side is already impotent as it is. So yeah i am questioning the same people complaining about how poor our fullbacks are at attacking then turning around and talk about how signing a defensive fullback would be great. It's fecking confusing.
Think he would be a great signing and has genuine world class potential. We are awful attacking wise on the right, that is something we need to address too of course, but a really good right sided attacker that Bissaka can support along with his defensive abilities allowing such a signing to be free to attack, is no bad thing for me.

In Europe especially, the myriad of problems we have, one of the biggest weaknesses for me was how easily teams have been getting round the back of us, especially on our right side, happened time and time again against both PSG and Barcelona

I also think Neville was under rated going forward myself. Everybody wants technical players, but he supported Beckham well and was also himself a very good crosser of the ball.

I am biased in this argument as followed him since he broke through at Palace ahead of Fosu Mensah and been huge impressed with how he has started and progressed in a season and a bit, think he will be ahead of all the other good English right backs within a year or two myself

Red_Orchestra

Its a no brainer to me, we better snatch him up early.
Just pay the money and move on to the next position.

Denis79

Its a no brainer to me, we better snatch him up early.
Just pay the money and move on to the next position.
Agree, I think he's a perfect signing for us. Young, hungry and has had a great season behind him. Hopefully our lot don't spoil him when he gets here.

diarm

I think he's got very good potential, and remember he knocked TFM from that position when he was considered one of their best players.

However,If £50m had been quoted to SAF,he'd have told Palace to feck off!
Yes and if Barnsley had quoted £5m for Tommy Taylor, Sir Matt Busby probably would've told them to feck off an all. What's your point?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I haven't watched him closely. But we need an offensively gifted RB at all costs. Whether is be ball carrying, link up or delivery.

Shaw is a defensive beast and worth keeping. We dont need another defensive brick wall.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
PL ready, 21 years old, what more can you want? £50 million no problem.
Kyle Walker was 50m just 2 years ago with about 8 full seasons of PL experience and 40 odd England caps.

This kid only has 1 season in the PL. 50m is way too much. He's Darmian level going forward too. Great potential but worth nowhere near that valuation.

Macern

Pee pee pants
He’s a very good player, but would be a terrible signing for us. Every successful team has at least one fullback who contributes a lot in attack. Liverpool have Robertson and Trent (two of the very best), City have two, especially Zinchenko, Arsenal have Kolasinac, Chelsea have Alonso, Spurs usually play with one very attacking wingback, Juventus have Cancelo who is one of the best fullbacks in the world in terms of attacking contribution, also they have Alex Sandro who is good. Real have Marcelo, Barca have Alba (the best), Ajax have Tagliafico and so on.

We have Shaw who is very limited going forward. Wan-Bissaka is also very limited going forward. I can’t see that working out very well unless we’re going to play with an attacking midfielder next to Pogba which isn’t going to happen.

Imagine if we sign Partey as well. No creativity or dangerous overlapping runs from the fullbacks. No creativity from any of the midfielders except for Pogba who doesn’t thrive when everything is on his shoulders. I thought we were a club that was supposed to attack and dare to take risks. I thought Ole was going to reintroduce Fergie football. Obviously we’ll have to wait until the end of the window before we can judge, but I don’t like the idea of signing Wan-Bissaka.

prateik

I haven't seen him play... how big a talent is he? Similar to what Shaw was when we signed him? 30m for Shaw was fine 6 years ago..

50m is crazy.. If true, Woody will probably structure it with add ons or something...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we can land Koulibaly and expect his contribution & impact to be the same with how Van Dijk had on Liverpool, we don’t need a new right back. I like wan Bissaka, defensively he’s freak gifted. But we need to learn how to develop not just throwing money.

TAA Van Dijk Lovren Robertson; This was Liverpool back four in 17/18 with TAA played more than 25 games. In 16/17 TAA only had 7 league games & 12 in total appearances; those numbers are similar to Dalot in 17/18 when he was at Porto & last season at United.

Are you saying that Liverpool can develop TAA but we can’t develop either Dalot or Laird?

Young full backs with less experienced tends to be loss & headless chicken when off the ball. This is why we need a leadership at back four, a world class leader centre back to organise the back four so the young right back doesn’t act like headless chicken. The back four will be much better as a unit.

Tel074

Kyle Walker was 50m just 2 years ago with about 8 full seasons of PL experience and 40 odd England caps.

This kid only has 1 season in the PL. 50m is way too much. He's Darmian level going forward too. Great potential but worth nowhere near that valuation.
You must not have watched him he is way better than Darmian going forward and at defending + a player can always be taught the attacking side

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fullbacks contribution improves when they play for better teams. Robertson wasn't anywhere as good when he played for Hull City, now at Liverpool he plays as a wingback, his strengths are more obvious.

Robertson from 2016-17 when he played for Hull is very much comparable to AWB in attacking. Not saying AWB will match the numbers but it's obvious to see the improvement from 2016-17 Robertson to 2018-19 Robertson.

AWB is defensively very good, arguably the best in the league. He is also RB who completed more dribbles than RB in the Europe top 5 leagues. Only that is lacking is his goal contributions, which should improve with age and playing more attacking role.

Sterling Archer

This is freaking awesome...had no idea Reddit did this thing called a Tier Challenge. Basically if you have supposed inside info on a transfer and post it you have to back it up with one of their top tier rated sources. You can choose to also take the challenge and not reveal your source and if proven wrong get banned permanently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/..._bid/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

We've bid for him already supposedly and we will be agreeing on 50 mil soon. Great if true. The challenge makes this exciting for me . Reminds me of some of the nonsense we've had here albeit heftier consequences

manutddjw

I wouldn’t care if we paid 100 Million for him. It would be worth it to not die a little inside watching Ashley Young walking our team out of the tunnel with the captains arm band nearly every game.

Icemav

I haven't watched him closely. But we need an offensively gifted RB at all costs. Whether is be ball carrying, link up or delivery.

Shaw is a defensive beast and worth keeping. We dont need another defensive brick wall.
Totally agree. It would be a pointless signing. We have huge imbalances in the team and I would be distraught if fans/management think signing a solid young fullback who is terrible going forwards somehow helps us. Look at what Liverpool get from their wingback attacking wise...... I really worry about the intelligence of our club at times.

Sterling Archer

Fullbacks contribution improves when they play for better teams. Robertson wasn't anywhere as good when he played for Hull City, now at Liverpool he plays as a wingback, his strengths are more obvious.

Robertson from 2016-17 when he played for Hull is very much comparable to AWB in attacking. Not saying AWB will match the numbers but it's obvious to see the improvement from 2016-17 Robertson to 2018-19 Robertson.

AWB is defensively very good, arguably the best in the league. He is also RB who completed more dribbles than RB in the Europe top 5 leagues. Only that is lacking is his goal contributions, which should improve with age and playing more attacking role.
good comparison. Always felt that could be the case with a player like Bissaka. He's young and fantastic defensively which is a great foundation and unless he's not going to improve as a player in his early twenties I expect good things in other departments as well.

Totally agree. It would be a pointless signing. We have huge imbalances in the team and I would be distraught if fans/management think signing a solid young fullback who is terrible going forwards somehow helps us. Look at what Liverpool get from their wingback attacking wise...... I really worry about the intelligence of our club at times.
Liverpool is used pretty frequently as an example here but it's not a fair representation. @roonster09 has posted a great comparison above and good point about this.

Icemav

good comparison. Always felt that could be the case with a player like Bissaka. He's young and fantastic defensively which is a great foundation and unless he's not going to improve as a player in his early twenties I expect good things in other departments as well.

Liverpool is used pretty frequently as an example here but it's not a fair representation. @roonster09 has posted a great comparison above and good point about this.
tbf he looks an absolute superstar defensively and on those tough nights when we need to dig in he would be a fabulous asset to have. However there will be nights when we are on the front foot, or alternatively when we need to play through the press... if he does come here then I hope he becomes the player we need in these situations also. Palace fans aren't sure in this regard, so not sure whether I should be either.

Icemav

I just want to add that those stats mean nothing in terms of attacking ability and potential. Just watch these hightlights of Robertson at Hull (attacking wingback play) versus Wan-Bisakka (tackling machine). You know what you are buying with these two players, vastly different attributes.

haram

They’ll replace him with Reece James on loan and we’ll look like mugs.

haram

He is going by stats. If you watched Robertson at Hull you knew he was different to AWB.

If he is good enough going forward City will buy him. They wont.

roonster09

Scout
He is going by stats. If you watched Robertson at Hull you knew he was different to AWB.

If he is good enough going forward City will buy him. They wont.
Yeah, every good FB will be signed by City, if not they are not good at attacking.

roonster09

Scout
This post don't look out of place in this thread.

I’ve seen Simms play live once, against us I believe, so I don’t purport to be an expert at all - but I do think the modern analytical football fan has an instinctive habit of inverting someone’s other qualities when they have an extreme one.

Like, as soon as it was obvious Dan James could run very, very fast - it automatically worked against him as an actual technical footballer. Everyone started questioning his ability and implied he was a limited footballer. Over recent years, as soon as a full-back showed top offensive ability, they automatically became a defensive liability, and a player like Ellis Simms, or that Brobbey centre-forward playing for Holland at U17 are obviously big and strong - they become average footballers too.
Since AWB is superb defensively, he must be crap going forward, ignoring he is the RB with most dribbles completed (and no, all of them are not in defensive third). He is 21 year old RB, who is superb defensively, completed most dribbles for a RB in top 5 leagues and somehow he won't improve his attacking play if he moves to bigger club and plays more attacking role.

Sterling Archer

I just want to add that those stats mean nothing in terms of attacking ability and potential. Just watch these hightlights of Robertson at Hull (attacking wingback play) versus Wan-Bisakka (tackling machine). You know what you are buying with these two players, vastly different attributes.

Very fair. And I like going by what the current fans say and CP fans do admit that too. To your point, being able to bring in Dalot as an alternative when we need that attacking width would be a great combination. I see AWB as quite necessary especially given this season's defensive ...er...what's a nice way of saying record breaking historic implosion?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Since AWB is superb defensively, he must be crap going forward, ignoring he is the RB with most dribbles completed (and no, all of them are not in defensive third). He is 21 year old RB, who is superb defensively, completed most dribbles for a RB in top 5 leagues and somehow he won't improve his attacking play if he moves to bigger club and plays more attacking role.
The interesting thing about AWB is that he was a winger originally and was converted into a fullback. So hopefully playing for us we'll see his winger instincts alot more.

hungrywing

Sounds encouraging. Pretty strong counter to the 'but he sux going forward' concerns.

roonster09

Scout
City would pounce. The elite clubs in Europe would pounce. The comparison to Robertson is nonsense.
Pointless posts. So yeah Elite clubs were in queue for Robertson.

Anyways you always miss the point. Such a pointless poster.

roonster09

Scout
The interesting thing about AWB is that he was a winger originally and was converted into a fullback. So hopefully playing for us we'll see his winger instincts alot more.
If you check his videos, he looks confident on the ball and not just kick and run type of dribbler. He has plenty of potential to offer lot in the attack.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If you check his videos, he looks confident on the ball and not just kick and run type of dribbler. He has plenty of potential to offer lot in the attack.
I agree, think he could elevate his game further playing for us, especially going forward.

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Isn't buying AWB just blocking Dalot and Laird - Laird looks like one of your best youngsters

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Was hoping he was going to get a shot next season.

Probably the usual don't-want-to-throw-him-into-the-deep-end-quite-yet/year-on-loan thing.
Understand not throwing him in at the deep end, but with Dalot playing quite regularly now in 1st team and Young clearly staying for another year, it would be easy to start with Dalot, have Laird as back up or Young when you need experience - I don't think you need to spend 50 plus million on another RW when you could be spending that cash on other parts of the team. From what little I've seen of Laird he looks very good and from what I've read he is clearly highly rated, he could be the AWB of next season

Status
Not open for further replies.