Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think planning to go into 2020/21 with Shaw, Dalot, Laird, and Wan-Bissaka as our fullback options is giving him a chance... honestly we could sign Tierney as well and we'd still be giving Laird plenty of games over the course of that season.
True. You're convincing me...

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The only thing that worries me is:

3 assists in 35 matches this season.

EDIT:

For comparison,

Ashley Young got 2 assists in 30 matches
Diogo Dalot got 2 assists in 16 matches

Trent Alexander-Arnold got 12 assists in 29 matches
He's better than Ashley Young and that's all that matters.

settembrini

£50m for Wan-Bissaka is fine.

Where we look stupid is that we could have bought him last summer with the money we spent on Dalot and saved ourselves a fortune but that's water under the bridge now. Better to rectify the mistake quickly rather than compound it with more mediocre players like Meunier.

dogwithabone

I really haven’t seen enough of AWB (must observe more closely next season) but is he really that bad going forward ? Of the better known right backs - past or present - who would you most liken him to in style ?

SATA

Is AWB being overrated now? It's like he's the second coming of Lahm or Thuram now. The same was said of Darmian when he came from Torino and after a few games of being very good, he eventually turned out quite crap

Dr. Dwayne

£50m for Wan-Bissaka is fine.

Where we look stupid is that we could have bought him last summer with the money we spent on Dalot and saved ourselves a fortune but that's water under the bridge now. Better to rectify the mistake quickly rather than compound it with more mediocre players like Meunier.
Last year he was a more risky prospect. He proved himself over the course of this season and is worth the investment, especially for a club of United's means.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Is AWB being overrated now? It's like he's the second coming of Lahm or Thuram now. The same was said of Darmian when he came from Torino and after a few games of being very good, he eventually turned out quite crap
No, but he's probably the 2nd best RB in the league. Best one defensively, for sure.

mkso

Players don't just stop developing. In 2 or 3 years time he could one of the most complete full backs in the world. Just coach him how to cross a ball. It shouldn't be that hard.
To be honest, I am not optimistic about young player develops at United, I don’t remember any talented young player have too much development at United over pass 7 years.. Shaw, Martial, Jones, Rashford, Depay

Last edited:

Decomposing In Paris

EDIT:

For comparison,

The flip-side is Crystal Palace conceded fewer Premier League goals than we did last term. Also, if you listen to Milner describe how different playing fullback for Klopp's Liverpool is to playing a more traditional fullback role, you'll see how much of the defensive side of the game is covered by the CB's and Central Midfielders. If we have a strong defence, athletic enough to hold a high line, and a destroyer in front of them, we will be able to really commit forward with our other players. Wan-Bissaka looks the perfect full back for such a system.

settembrini

Last year he was a more risky prospect. He proved himself over the course of this season and is worth the investment, especially for a club of United's means.
Dalot was even more risky though. When Wan-Bissaka got his chance that season he took to the PL like a duck to water, straight away looked like an excellent right back and won Palace's player of the month in his first month of senior football. Dalot had no such impact in his limited time at Porto and yet when the summer rolled around and we wanted a young right back we went for the foreign player who would have to adapt to a new league over the one than had already played well in the PL. A poor decision that is typical of United's favouritism towards foreign players over equally good or better British players since Ferguson retired.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
At £50m this would be a glaring hole in our first 11 well sorted. He’s had a really good season. Not many better options at RB.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I was initial sceptical about him up until I learnt that he's the least dribbled past defender in the EPL. That's amazing considering the role and the team he plays in. Only 7 players had dribbled past him which makes him the best 1 vs 1 defender in the EPL.

Considering his age and that amazing feat I think that 50m is a bargain.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
If we sign AWB I can see Dalot getting a good amount of game time on the right wing.

Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing, but I'd be happy with AWB or Meunier.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Seems random for an RB attribute, but how is he in the air? We've been so vulnerable to set pieces this year, and while our midfield giants who cant head the ball need to take some blame, having two midget full backs doesn't help either.

He looks pretty tall for a full back so one can hope.

mewnew11

EDIT:

For comparison,

Don't worry about the assists. He will improve them for sure. What he will immediately improve is our defence which leaks so many goals from the left.

The one quality of AWB which ole will enjoy is that he is extremely fit and fast. We need some fit defenders who could run up and down the wing

Reactions: KM

devilish

Please no. It would just sum up this club. We already have Dalot ffs. We need to use our funds more efficiently.
Dalot can play as LB. Also if he's good enough then he'll send Wan Bissaka on the bench in no time. Its about we reintroduce an ancient custom ie bringing in quality to compete with quality.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Do you think he's better than Walker? I think he's got the potential to be, but Walker is such a frustrating opponent when he's on his game.
Walker is just outrageously quick. I've seen him burned by a poor challenge or terrible positioning evey match, but still make up the ground to prevent any harm. His acceleration has to be up there as quickest in Europe.

SATA

Walker is the best right back in the league for me. He's brilliant. And then there is that young scouse chap, Azpil and Trippier. Many good right backs there in the Prem. Not sure how AWB ranks amongst them. I don't watch much Palace games to be honest

devilish

EDIT:

For comparison,

He plays with Crystal Palace ie a team who spends 60% of its time holed in its box.

Aloysius's Back 3

It makes sense because getting the rid of Darmian, Valencia and even Young the following season needs multiple fullbacks in both positions.

devilish

Am I the only one in here who thinks he's got the potential of becoming a world class CB. His anticipation and speed is top notch and he's quite strong and tall.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Do you think he's better than Walker? I think he's got the potential to be, but Walker is such a frustrating opponent when he's on his game.
Personally, yeah. Walker is prone to absolute stinkers and I have always felt his pace has got him out of a lot of problems. Walker at Tottenham was a rash link as well, IMO. He is very effective in a good set up though.

Dr. Dwayne

Dalot was even more risky though. When Wan-Bissaka got his chance that season he took to the PL like a duck to water, straight away looked like an excellent right back and won Palace's player of the month in his first month of senior football. Dalot had no such impact in his limited time at Porto and yet when the summer rolled around and we wanted a young right back we went for the foreign player who would have to adapt to a new league over the one than had already played well in the PL. A poor decision that is typical of United's favouritism towards foreign players over equally good or better British players since Ferguson retired.
I don't want to comment too much on the risk of signing Dalot. He was highly touted by the manager at the time, reasonable fee and low wages since he's 19. The risk in sighing AWB last year was the English/United premium we'd have had to pay, especially with City signing £50 million fullbacks like they were going out of style. AWB'd have been at least £30 million, maybe more, on the back of one half decent season, and on high wages. He could have easily become deadwood that we can't shift. We'll always be able to sell Dalot on if he doesn't work out.

Now that he's established himself, there's very little risk and the extra £20 million or so it will take to sign him isn't significant for us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Am I the only one in here who thinks he's got the potential of becoming a world class CB. His anticipation and speed is top notch and he's quite strong and tall.
That's quite a shout tbh, I'm not sure he'll be as interested in it. He recently talked about adding goals and assists to his game and he was a winger previously.

devilish

That's quite a shout tbh, I'm not sure he'll be as interested in it. He recently talked about adding goals and assists to his game and he was a winger previously.
DDG is set to leave and our CBs are quite shaky. Thus a RB whose defensively sound is greatly appreciated and needed. However if Dalot does become a top quality RB then I can see AWB developing into a CB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we want him, offer them £30m/£35m and agree to take the clause out of Zaha’s contract. They can feck off with £50m.

flappyjay

Just like with Darmian you have people saying he will contribute offensively but alas he was just defensively solid.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
DDG is set to leave and our CBs are quite shaky. Thus a RB whose defensively sound is greatly appreciated and needed. However if Dalot does become a top quality RB then I can see AWB developing into a CB.
Yeah, I was agreeing with you :D. It could also work if we have a flying attacking LB to have him on the right, like an Ancelotti back 4.

MassiveMorgan

Having a RB who can defend would be fantastic. Maybe have a right forward who can attack and worry about them covering other duties afterwards. Hell, a CD who can defend and a few CM’s who can pass and tackle and we won’t look a total mess next season.

flappyjay

Having a RB who can defend would be fantastic. Maybe have a right forward who can attack and worry about them covering other duties afterwards. Hell, a CD who can defend and a few CM’s who can pass and tackle and we won’t look a total mess next season.
You don't spend 50m on a defensive rb. Hell rather give that game time to Tuanzebe as his shown to be more than good enough defensively in that role.

devilish

Yeah, I was agreeing with you :D. It could also work if we have a flying attacking LB to have him on the right, like an Ancelotti back 4.
I was just clearing my point just in case someone bump this thread in 5 years time saying that I said we should play AWB as a CB. I agree completely with your line of thought

Roboc7

A RB this summer is an absolute must, can’t keep persisting with no right side. Young is finished, Dalot is miles from required level and Laird hasn’t kicked a ball for first team.

AWB is best defensive fullback in the league and think there is more to come going forward, Meunier would probably cost about 30m still and is nothing like as good as he is often made out to be.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he'd be very good as a RCB in a 3 man defence similar to how Walker played for England.

Not sure he'd be a CB though in a 2 man. Maybe he'd grow into the role but he seems a bit lean for that.

Robin Your Persie

EDIT:

For comparison,

As good as Trent is he does take a majority of the corners for Liverpool and having big lump like Van Djik helps, also their forwards are a lot more clinical than ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.