Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steakpie

Please no. It would just sum up this club. We already have Dalot ffs. We need to use our funds more efficiently.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Cut the cheque Woody

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wan-Bissaka is one of the best (if not the best) defensive full backs in the league, we were absolutely haemorrhaging chances down the right hand side last year, he'd be a very smart addition. I think we'd be mental to miss out on him for Meunier, I'm not sure what spell he's cast on the Cafe to have so many people desperate to sign him, I don't give a toss if he's £20m cheaper.

steakpie

He isn't ready
He is ready, just needs game. We have one of the brightest full backs around in Dalot, and yet we are going to sign another one in his position. The way this club is run is a joke, invest the money in a right winger, centre back etc.

AR87

Pay that man his money. AWB is an RB version of Ashley Cole. He showed growth in his attacking nous the 2nd half of the season as well.

I like Dalot, but AWB is more proven and developed, and we need to feel okay signing players for competition in the same areas, just like City did with Sane, Sterling, Silva and Mahrez. Dalot will still get minutes as cover at RB, RW and LB.

You do not pass up an elite proven talent in a problem area of your squad because you hope one of your young prospect can come good. This is a no brainer signing imo and for 50m would represent excellent business.

zenith

Playing AWB on RB would help iron out a lot of the defensive issues we are facing. As far as offensive abilities go, that's something he can always pick up as he goes forward on his career, as long as his defensive fundamentals are in place.

Not to mention, we have dalot who's an exceptional attacker and an option we can very well use whenever needed.

Cassidy

He is ready, just needs game. We have one of the brightest full backs around in Dalot, and yet we are going to sign another one in his position. The way this club is run is a joke, invest the money in a right winger, centre back etc.
He has had games and has been poor defensively and thus dropped, hence why Young kept his place in the side. Maybe he can develop yes, but AWB is lightyears ahead of him in terms of being ready to be the starter. Dalot can play too and develop his defensive side, or play in games when we want a more attacking option.

Also worth noting Dalot can play LB also so can provide cover for both positions, and Laird hopefully can provide cover at RB also

Gandalf

AWB is very good on the ball. Sure he has played defensively at Palace but that is as much about the team tactics as anything else. I may be about to blow some peoples minds here but 21 year old players sometimes improve with age and learn new skills.

I would also add that a defensive FB doesn't mean we can't play on the front foot. If you have a back 4 that is defensively solid and has the pace and energy to cover a lot of ground then they can play a high line which will allow the midfield and attack to press and not worry too much about losing possession. There are a lot of ways to be aggressive and a solid defence opens up options we don't currently have.

AJ10

Defensively shit as young, not sure which games you've watched.

steakpie

He has had games and has been poor defensively and thus dropped, hence why Young kept his place in the side. Maybe he can develop yes, but AWB is lightyears ahead of him in terms of being ready to be the starter. Dalot can play too and develop his defensive side, or play in games when we want a more attacking option.

Also worth noting Dalot can play LB also so can provide cover for both positions, and Laird hopefully can provide cover at RB also
He hasn't been poor defensively, that is a myth. Young kept his place in the side because Ole was clueless.

And if you play Dalot at LB, you take away his biggest asset, his crossing.

Andersonson

Meunier isnt really that good. Seen him many times this and last season.

Troubles alot in defence, not really sold on him at all. I much rather have AWB

SiRed

AWB is very good on the ball. Sure he has played defensively at Palace but that is as much about the team tactics as anything else. I may be about to blow some peoples minds here but 21 year old players sometimes improve with age and learn new skills.

I would also add that a defensive FB doesn't mean we can't play on the front foot. If you have a back 4 that is defensively solid and has the pace and energy to cover a lot of ground then they can play a high line which will allow the midfield and attack to press and not worry too much about losing possession. There are a lot of ways to be aggressive and a solid defence opens up options we don't currently have.
The most sensible post i have read for a while.
Completely agree with everything here. Especially the bolded part.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm up for AWB, but I don't see how this fits the narrative of the reports we want to give Laird a chance.

Suvvernmanc

People are moaning about the price.? city set the benchmark for a fullback with Kyle Walker and Mendy. Both cost close to £50m. That's what you pay for a full back these days. Especially a young English one.

Others moaning about Dalot.? Hes been shite defensively but has shown some great performances playing as the left winger. Maybe that's his position long term?. Or at least back up/competition to Luke shaw in a seasons time when Young pisses off finally.

AWB is young, British, load of talent, hungry and would be a starter straight away... plus NO YOUNG..

scoi

Dalot as an attacking FB and AWB as a more solid defensive alternative. Get them devoloping their weaknesses and you have a good pair for years to come.

Palace may also have some interest in a player (permanent or loan) plus cash deal.

RedRover

No problem with this. Looks a brilliant prospect and would slot straight in.

I like Dalot a lot, but from last season, I'm not sure full back will be his best position.

Rocknrolla69er

Pay the £50m, lets not feck around, get the business done, his tackles and interception stats are very impressive and hes not as shoddy going forward as some make out, hes a converted winger but one that can actually defend.
Were shocking defensively so sign a fullback with strong defensive capabilities common sense

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Would AWB do any better than Young when he's given all that space Young is given on our right side? Let's face it, if he's not good at the attacking side of the game, he would be quite a pointless signing.

goin4glory

Would AWB do any better than Young when he's given all that space Young is given on our right side? Let's face it, if he's not good at the attacking side of the game, he would be quite a pointless signing.
He averages over 3x as many successful dribbles as the other top 6 FB's and he's not passing to Kane/Aguero/Salah for assists.

If you think he wouldn't be an upgrade on Young then just wow.

reelworld

Pay that man his money. AWB is an RB version of Ashley Cole. He showed growth in his attacking nous the 2nd half of the season as well.

I like Dalot, but AWB is more proven and developed, and we need to feel okay signing players for competition in the same areas, just like City did with Sane, Sterling, Silva and Mahrez. Dalot will still get minutes as cover at RB, RW and LB.

You do not pass up an elite proven talent in a problem area of your squad because you hope one of your young prospect can come good. This is a no brainer signing imo and for 50m would represent excellent business.
This.
It's not that difficult lads. He's one of the best right back in the league. We need right back. We should sign him

tonnas

Give them 40m and 10m in bonuses. He is young, proven and already on of the best Rb in the epl...no brainer!

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He averages over 3x as many successful dribbles as the other top 6 FB's and he's not passing to Kane/Aguero/Salah for assists.

If you think he wouldn't be an upgrade on Young then just wow.
I was genuinely asking as I don't watch Palace and whenever I see someone praising him, it's for his defensive ability and not on what happens at the other end of the pitch.

davidmichael

21 years old and already one of the best right backs in the league, is English and is available for a price so £50 million now could basically set us up for the next 10 years with Wan-Bissaka and Dalot so it’s an absolute no brainer and we need to get it done before anyone else does.

sparx99

Players don't just stop developing. In 2 or 3 years time he could one of the most complete full backs in the world. Just coach him how to cross a ball. It shouldn't be that hard.

SteveW

I dont think this move makes sense at those prices with Dalot and Laird coming through. Someone like Meunier would be my choice and save the big fees for elsewhere.

daveskimufc

If AWB is Solskjaers preferred choice at right back, £50m for a first team player is decent money. Premier League proven, age on his side, just get it done.
Yep.

This exactly, there should be no "bedding Into the league" jumps straight into the team and that's one problem position taken care of. We know we are paying over the odds, so what.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
The only thing that worries me is:

3 assists in 35 matches this season.

EDIT:

For comparison,

Ashley Young got 2 assists in 30 matches
Diogo Dalot got 2 assists in 16 matches

Trent Alexander-Arnold got 12 assists in 29 matches

SteveW

He hasn't been poor defensively, that is a myth. Young kept his place in the side because Ole was clueless.

And if you play Dalot at LB, you take away his biggest asset, his crossing.
I like Dalot and dont think we should block his progress with a big money signing.

However..... saying he hasn't been poor defensively at times is just plain wrong. He's struggled against pacey wingers on a few occasions.

Still think he will be fine long term. The potential is there

Decomposing In Paris

I'm up for AWB, but I don't see how this fits the narrative of the reports we want to give Laird a chance.
I think planning to go into 2020/21 with Shaw, Dalot, Laird, and Wan-Bissaka as our fullback options is giving him a chance... honestly we could sign Tierney as well and we'd still be giving Laird plenty of games over the course of that season.

Cassidy

I like Dalot and dont think we should block his progress with a big money signing.

However..... saying he hasn't been poor defensively at times is just plain wrong. He's struggled against pacey wingers on a few occasions.

Still think he will be fine long term. The potential is there
Our rivals, City create competition for places, let AWB and Dalot fight it out. I actually suspect Dalot could displace Shaw at LB anyway if he develops as we also have Laird to come into the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.