Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduck

Supports
celtic
We badly need to improve our defense, its currently occupied by a couple of useless turkeys, and Wan-Bissaka is a quality player,sign him up Ed and do it quickly

Le Red

No. It's opinions of random blokes on t'internet that count.
Football is arguably the least stats driven sport. Attempts to manage transfers and tactics using stats first and foremost as shown in the Moneyball movie have failed.
I'm not writing off stats completely but there's just too many things, bad or good, that a football player can do that won't go to the stats, or won't be faithfully represented by them.
Ignoring stats is dangerous, but reading them like gospel is even more.

dangler

No transfers yet. The usual Woody transfer window.

Let's hope we overpay for some past it overhyped players last week of transfer window

Rolaholic

Really do hope we can sign him up,him and Dalot competing for that no.2 spot would be beautiful

settembrini

Laird is years away from appearing regularly for United, if he even makes it that far.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Imagine him and Shaw as fullback next season, frightening pace.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not as good as Dalot and Shaw, even faster.
True. Be nice to get back to pacy wingbacks, seems like it's the most important position in football these days,

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Signing this lad would not impede the development of Dalot, Laird or O'Connor in my opinion. Dalot has not looked like a Prem full back thus far, so a season's understudy to AWB would allow him to develop naturally, without too much pressure. Dalot can also play at left back, and at a pinch, could play in a wide right or left sided position. Neither Laird or O'Connor have played much senior football, so could be several years away from first team football, but, if they are part of the pre season squad to Australia, then perhaps could break through this season. If we are suddenly overwhelmed with a plethora of very good full backs, then perhaps we could sell one or two of them? AWB is a proven Prem full back, so would be up to speed straight away, and that would tighten up our leaky defence immediately. Perhaps loaning TFM or using him as a makeweight in the deal is a possibility?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s one of the best PL right back alongside TAA right now, he’s also a freak in defense, used to be a winger that’s why his dribbling stats looks great. I won’t say no to sign him but only for £45m at max. Anything higher especially ridiculous £70m is crazy and no way we should agree with that, there are lot of young right back in our team and they can be top right back as well and cost free & less than £20m, not worthy to spend more than 50m.

Allas8

Signing this lad would not impede the development of Dalot, Laird or O'Connor in my opinion. Dalot has not looked like a Prem full back thus far, so a season's understudy to AWB would allow him to develop naturally, without too much pressure. Dalot can also play at left back, and at a pinch, could play in a wide right or left sided position. Neither Laird or O'Connor have played much senior football, so could be several years away from first team football, but, if they are part of the pre season squad to Australia, then perhaps could break through this season. If we are suddenly overwhelmed with a plethora of very good full backs, then perhaps we could sell one or two of them? AWB is a proven Prem full back, so would be up to speed straight away, and that would tighten up our leaky defence immediately. Perhaps loaning TFM or using him as a makeweight in the deal is a possibility?
Dalot already spent a year as Youngs understudy, being someone else understudy wont do him anygood. If Dalot can not handle the pressure, he should be moved on, come to think of it, I don't think I ever seen a player in Uniteds first-team that could not handle the pressure. Laird or O'Connor could be anything from several weeks to several years away from Premier League football, the thing is, we will never know unless we play them. We can not expect other to develop players for us, and no one is supposed to be better at developing players then United. O'Connor turns 19 this summer, there is no way he is to young, all he lacks is experience, which he will not get if we blocks his path to first team football.

Laird spend a year out being injured, so I would not count on him getting ready over the summer, usually you need a solid physical training foundation before playing first team fooball, but I don't have any insight into how Laird have done on the training field. Chong is another example of a player spending a year out injured before getting back last season playing regular U23 football, Chong has not been physical ready to play first team football last season as he has not gotten the training foundation needed to play in Premier League. But after this summer one can hope that Chong works hard enough in training so he will be physical ready to play in the Premier League next season.

This is atleast how I think about it when it comes to give young talented players a chance. There is plenty of talent at the academy, we just need to identify who is ready physically, then give them a chance, instead of blocking their path. The times we have not been rewarded doing so is rare, usually our failure has come from not playing or own talents.

Only reason to sign AWB is if he is good enough, a clear upgrade on or own talents, and I don't know if he is that. He lacks the ability to attack on the opponents half, so we have to spend time develop this ability in AWB, and for the price quoted, I feel like we are better served staying away. Our defense has been leaking since our tactics been to park a bus, and obviously a defensive fullback makes sense in such systems. But in a high tempo attacking structure, defensive fullbacks does not help a lot, as long as they have enough energy to run back into position when we lose the ball, they need to be attacking. A old saying, attack is the best defense, and lets worry about beating City and Barcelona later, for now we need to beat Wolves and Everton to move up the table.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The issue with AWB, or reservations, I should say, if that he plays in an extremely defensive back 4 that doesn’t allow for a lot of roaming.
If we want him to go forward a lot, it will be interesting what that does for the rest of his game. I’m becoming more and more warm to the idea of him now. It won’t do anything for our width or attack that side, but he is such a good defender, he doesn’t have to have the best attacking output to excel in that position for us.

Aloysius's Back 3

On the contrary to what I was told, he looks great on the ball
I saw on an analysis YouTube video which explained that Wan Bissaka and van aanholt are made to cut in as fullbacks instead of providing any attacking width.

This creates an increase in central attacking pressure on the team whilst players like Zaha run in to spaces but also a defensive aspect where AWB and Van aanholt are able to block play from central areas and push the attackers out wide.

This then explains to me why AWB doesn't have these crossing stats or seen to attack deep in width - it's because he doesn't play out wide where he can cross and instead attacks centrally.

You can see what I mean in that video you were looking at.

Considering the lad looks skillful - I reckon he will be just fine as an attacking fullback. Hopefully the defensive aspect then is not a part of the tactics but is something he has developed.

Un4givableB

£70m for Wan-Bissaka is far too much, we could get Alderweireld & Djibril Sidibe/ Thomas Meunier and still have money left to chase a world class CB.

RuudTom83

Long term he would be a good addition, and considering United won’t be challenging for trophies any time soon, long term is defiantly the way to go!

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He’s one of the best PL right backs - end of story!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
50 plus TFM on loan for another year would surely seal it

Will Singh

Really do hope we can sign him up,him and Dalot competing for that no.2 spot would be beautiful
Not saying he's not a good player but YouTube clips or what not can easily put £20-£30 million on a players price. £50m rip there arm off, but £70m is just taking the piss.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
£70m for Wan-Bissaka is far too much, we could get Alderweireld & Djibril Sidibe/ Thomas Meunier and still have money left to chase a world class CB.
If we paid £70m for Wan Bissaka it’s because we could afford to pay it, I dunno why people always talk about it “eating into the budget”, if we think a player’s worth it then we’ll pay it, we wouldn’t sign him if it meant we weren’t going to be able to afford to sign someone else.

Un4givableB

If we paid £70m for Wan Bissaka it’s because we could afford to pay it, I dunno why people always talk about it “eating into the budget”, if we think a player’s worth it then we’ll pay it, we wouldn’t sign him if it meant we weren’t going to be able to afford to sign someone else.
My objection isn't about spending money it's about spending £70m for Wan Bissaka on the back of one season, I'd have us pay £90m for Joshua Kimmich if we could get him as I'd sooner pay £100m for Koulibaly than £60m for Harry Maguire.

Fosu-Mens

£70m...are you lot mental?
Atal and Meunier are both more sensible deals. Given the left sided focus of our attacking play and the space this creates on the right, we need an attacking fullback that can take advantage of this space. Also, Atal would be our best right wing if we bought him.

Status
Not open for further replies.