Adama Traore

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If you say Robben is one of the greatest ever wing-forwards, you must thing he's at least top ten if not top five. That itself is way more debatable than saying Traore can be at the same level. In fact, the gap between Robben and Traore is probably lesser than Robben and, say Messi and Ronaldo. So yeah I don't need to rehash what I said, I think he could become the same level as Robben if he improved his ability to pass the ball.
Well that’s just nutty and you have no concept of how good Robben was.

Red Stone

Well, I've truly seen it all now. Robben was arguably one of the top three players on the planet between 2010 and 2014, which is all the more impressive considering the two freaks hogging the two top spots during those years. Is Adama even one of Wolves' top three players? When he's firing he's easily there, but he's so streaky I'd have Neves, Doherty, Jimenez and possibly also Moutinho and Jota in the discussion.

RedCurry

Well that’s just nutty and you have no concept of how good Robben was.
He was very good. He was absolutely world class for majority of his time with Bayern. Before Bayern he was still a good player. What is definitely nutty is that someone would say that Robben is one of the best forwards of all time. When I watch Traore play this season, I feel that he's shaping up as a good player and could be a world class player if he sorted out one or two things in his game.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He was very good. He was absolutely world class for majority of his time with Bayern. Before Bayern he was still a good player. What is definitely nutty is that someone would say that Robben is one of the best forwards of all time. When I watch Traore play this season, I feel that he's shaping up as a good player and could be a world class player if he sorted out one or two things in his game.
He’s definitely one of the best wingers of all time.

Unless your list is just the best 11 players in every position.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If you say Robben is one of the greatest ever wing-forwards, you must thing he's at least top ten if not top five. That itself is way more debatable than saying Traore can be at the same level. In fact, the gap between Robben and Traore is probably lesser than Robben and, say Messi and Ronaldo. So yeah I don't need to rehash what I said, I think he could become the same level as Robben if he improved his ability to pass the ball.
I really enjoy watching Traore play but jesus, you need to calm down a bit. That's Arjen Robben you're talking about.

Also, who are those wingers that are/were clearly better than Robben in your opinion? I'm struggling to think of many. And most that come to mind are actually 10s or strikers in disguise (e. g. Messi, Cristiano or Ronaldinho). Best is probably the only one I can think of who was a true winger. In modern days Neymar, Salah and Hazard are close but IMO not clearly better.

And then? Figo, Beckham, Overmars, Ribery, Bale, Mane etc. were/are inferior players to prime Robben, IMO.

RedCurry

I really enjoy watching Traore play but jesus, you need to calm down a bit. That's Arjen Robben you're talking about.

Also, who are those wingers that are/were clearly better than Robben in your opinion? I'm struggling to think of many. And most that come to mind are actually 10s or strikers in disguise (e. g. Messi, Cristiano or Ronaldinho). Best is probably the only one I can think of who was a true winger. In modern days Neymar, Salah and Hazard are close but IMO not clearly better.

And then? Figo, Beckham, Overmars, Ribery, Bale, Mane etc. were/are inferior players to prime Robben, IMO.
My post was a reply to a comment that said Robben was one of the best wide-forwards to have played the game. Ronaldo and Messi are probably top of that list followed by the rest. What's so controversial in saying that if a young player could add this whole dimension to his game, he could become like this world class player? You can say that about so many young footballers. We compare Greenwood to RVP on this forum.

fps

Adama Traore and Arjen Robben being compared as if they could ever end up on a par with each other.

Ye gods.

RooneyLegend

Its going to take a hell of a coach to get him to reach his potential cause he honestly doesn't understand the game when he doesn't have the balls at his feet. His off the ball movement might be the worst I've ever seen.

However in a very detailed system like the one City use I reckon he'd be a much better player. He reminds me alot of Sane before moving to City.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Robben was the best at doing just a few things all game. Everybody knew what he was going to do but knowing made feck all of a difference because practically nobody could stop him from doing it.

Comparing Traore to him is a massive insult to Robben.

Precaution

Traore is having half a decent season so far, he's been crap for most of his career so i wouldnt get ahead of yourself too much, yeah he's big but so is Akinfenwa.

meamth

Robben was the best at doing just a few things all game. Everybody knew what he was going to do but knowing made feck all of a difference because practically nobody could stop him from doing it.

Comparing Traore to him is a massive insult to Robben.
Exactly, don't care the occasion he will cut in and shoot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Fecking hell

Put some respect on Robben's name. 3rd best dutch player ever ffs

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
With the recent reports of him being scouted by the NFL - I wonder how good he would be there?

Is his athleticism something that would look good even in their standards as say a running back or wide receiver?

The guy is absolutely rapid, he blew passed AWB like i haven't seen anybody do so far including Sterling.

meninred

I think Traore will go to a bigger club soon.I wish Manutf try to sign him and improve him. he can esp be a great impact player.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
How long is his contact, he's shown enough to prove that he deserves a chance at a bigger team.

Meep

Why doesn't he get a larger match kit. Looks ridiculous on him with that size. Also, how the hell did he get so pumped up?

Are those one or two things his talent and natural ability?

He's nowhere near Robben and nowhere near world class. He uses one or two attributes to devastating effect but that's as far as it goes. Give defenders a season to get used to his pace and he'll drop right off.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It’s his pace, coupled with his strength and low centre of gravity that make him so difficult to get the ball off. He has one great side to his game, carrying the ball with his dribbling. Every other aspect is sub par.

He is interesting because he is such a unique player, but he doesn’t have anywhere near the precision and technique to be a great player. That’s before commenting on his decision making and how he reads the game.

Wenger used to talk about “radar” in the head and how more work needs to be done on “perception and decision making” at a young age. In other words, of players don’t have that, it’s harder to teach after.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
With the recent reports of him being scouted by the NFL - I wonder how good he would be there?

Is his athleticism something that would look good even in their standards as say a running back or wide receiver?

The guy is absolutely rapid, he blew passed AWB like i haven't seen anybody do so far including Sterling.
Hard to say. He'd probably have to pack an extra 20 lbs to play in the NFL, how well his pace and agility would translate is impossible to say

But yeah, he's got top end pace, agility and balance by NFL standards right now. Lots of footballers do, for that matter

The NFL quotes were referring to when he was a kid and it was uncertain he would have a career in football.

Quick and strong as he is, in the NFL every team has players that match him for pace and strength. It would be near impossible to learn the skills required to play at that level at his age.

lysglimt

Scout
I have watched Traore a lot in the last few games Wolves have played to really make up my mind about him, and I am still not really sure what I think.

He is extremely quick and strong - maybe one of the best in the game in that respect. And I don't deny that he has good technique, even if I feel his technique is more down his speed and athleticism rather than skills on the ball. And he does put a few decent crosses in.

So far so good

The negatives - he hardly ever gets into dangerous positions. He tends to run with the ball without really looking where he is, and often runs into defenders. And his passing of the ball is pretty far from top quality.

He is the kind of player who could be very dangerous in a Jurgen Klopp-side, but who wouldn't work playing for Guardiola.

Bobski

There was a situation the other night when Maguire intercepted a ball, ran forward, couldn't work what to do and lost it. The ball came to Traore, runners free on either side, a CB caught up the pitch and he ran sideways with the ball, until he was eventually fouled.

It was ideal counter attacking conditions and he killed it, does stuff like that all the time.

I really don't see him lasting at a top team at his current level, better players would hate playing with him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I have watched Traore a lot in the last few games Wolves have played to really make up my mind about him, and I am still not really sure what I think.

He is extremely quick and strong - maybe one of the best in the game in that respect. And I don't deny that he has good technique, even if I feel his technique is more down his speed and athleticism rather than skills on the ball. And he does put a few decent crosses in.

So far so good

The negatives - he hardly ever gets into dangerous positions. He tends to run with the ball without really looking where he is, and often runs into defenders. And his passing of the ball is pretty far from top quality.

He is the kind of player who could be very dangerous in a Jurgen Klopp-side, but who wouldn't work playing for Guardiola.
Well, the description above was accurate for Sterling and Sane as well not too long ago ;)

But I see where you are coming from. He'd be perfect for Klopp and vice versa if it wouldn't be for Salah and Mane.

Ludens the Red

Well, the description above was accurate for Sterling and Sane as well not too long ago ;)

But I see where you are coming from. He'd be perfect for Klopp and vice versa if it wouldn't be for Salah and Mane.
Was it? Sterling has never been anything like Traore.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Was it? Sterling has never been anything like Traore.
In terms of subpar decision making? Definitely. But yeah, Sane is a more extreme example. Thing is, at Bayern and City Pep used those ball carrying wingers with great top speed very well. That's different from his Barca days. Sane, Costa and to a lesser extent Sterling and Coman aren't typical players for a Guardiola system but had great runs of form under him. So I think Traore could turn out similarly under him.

lysglimt

Scout

In fairness Sterling made good runs at Liverpool and did score a fair share of goals - and he left the club at 20 years old.

Traore never gets into dangerous positions - and he has scored 21 goals in his entire career (and 8 came in Segunda division), and he turns 24 in a week.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Convinced many don't watch him play and are just regurgitating old critiques. His decision making can be better but has improved, but his ability to run at defenders in addition to his physicality changes matches.

TheReligion

Abusive
This guy is an interesting talent and is certainly developing this season. Still needs work mind but he's only 24 and it's clearly a late starter. Worth a go from a bigger club I think.