Adama Traore

Tel074

My post was a reply to a comment that said Robben was one of the best wide-forwards to have played the game. Ronaldo and Messi are probably top of that list followed by the rest. What's so controversial in saying that if a young player could add this whole dimension to his game, he could become like this world class player? You can say that about so many young footballers. We compare Greenwood to RVP on this forum.

He's 24 not 17 . He would already be there if he was going to be world class . He's had a dozen decent games and he's 24 . Robben at 24 was already amazing as was Ronaldo and Messi

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's 24 not 17 . He would already be there if he was going to be world class . He's had a dozen decent games and he's 24 . Robben at 24 was already amazing as was Ronaldo and Messi
Different players do mature at different rates.

Drogba at 24 was playing for Guingamp. Van Nistelrooy was still playing in the Netherlands. Vardy was still in the National League. Even Zidane was still at Bordeaux and only just about to explode.

I'm not saying Traore will do anything like that, but him being 24 doesn't completely negate the possibility. The guy does have the pure ability so if he actually gets his head right (and he certainly is improving in that aspect) he could go right to the top.

Tel074

Drogba at 24 was playing for Guingamp. Van Nistelrooy was still playing in the Netherlands. Vardy was still in the National League. Even Zidane was still at Bordeaux and only just about to explode.

I'm not saying Traore will do anything like that, but him being 24 doesn't completely negate the possibility. The guy does have the pure ability so if he actually gets his head right (and he certainly is improving in that aspect) he could go right to the top.

I disagree he has the pure ability. He has pure pace but hasn't got a football brain . He has got better this year but he won't ever be anywhere near world class

Walters_19_MuFc

Good game from him today, with 2 assists, taking him to 4 goals and 6 assists in the EPL this season. Decent stats.

Reminds me of Antonio Valencia. Direct, powerful and quick.

arthurka

Him on our left and Rashford on the right would give any defense in this league nightmares. How much would he cost if Sean fecking Longstaff is 50m?

RedCurry

I disagree he has the pure ability. He has pure pace but hasn't got a football brain . He has got better this year but he won't ever be anywhere near world class
The football brain argument is always perpetuated for a player with physical abilities. He’s sorely lacking final product and that’s not necessarily an intelligence issue. He’ll easily get in and around the box against any defense. If he even just develops a decent shot on him and score long range goals consistently, he’d become one of the top players. It’s silly to write off a player at the age 23-24 will the raw ability that he has.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Good game from him today, with 2 assists, taking him to 4 goals and 6 assists in the EPL this season. Decent stats.

Reminds me of Antonio Valencia. Direct, powerful and quick.
He is a bit like Valencia, but also a bit like Zaha. He has raw skill and ability combined with physique and pace but like Valencia lack on the creative side, and like Zaha lacks the mental aspect of belonging in a game of football. Sometimes he just drifts in and out, which renders his qualities obsolete at the highest level. That's his biggest issue for me that he needs to sort out for his talent to really reach the next level. If he can get consistent to make the most of his abilities he can still go to the highest level, but right now he isn't reliable enough to play for the biggest clubs. Not as a first choice anyhow. He could also maybe reach the top by developing in the same way Valencia did with immense work-rate and discipline to make consistent use of his physique and pace in games. As an attacker, he still has a way to go.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The football brain argument is always perpetuated for a player with physical abilities. He’s sorely lacking final product and that’s not necessarily an intelligence issue. He’ll easily get in and around the box against any defense. If he even just develops a decent shot on him and score long range goals consistently, he’d become one of the top players. It’s silly to write off a player at the age 23-24 will the raw ability that he has.
That'd make him the first player ever to do it...unless by consistently you mean 3-5 goals a season...

He needs to further improve his decision making and passing. And then he needs to learn to attack off the ball. If he can add either of those he'll become world class. Otherwise his ceiling will remain what it is, douglas costa/willian level

The Original

That'd make him the first player ever to do it...unless by consistently you mean 3-5 goals a season...

He needs to further improve his decision making and passing. And then he needs to learn to attack off the ball. If he can add either of those he'll become world class. Otherwise his ceiling will remain what it is, douglas costa/willian level
That's a high enough level. Utd should take a punt on this guy...better than current right wing options and will have no shortage of suitors if he doesn't improve.

SNes

We should try and sign him before the bigger clubs come for him, yes its a bit of a punt but we've had no right side for years.

Jibbs

Sign him along with with Werner or Moussa Dembele, will make united attack very exciting and full of pace.

Rashford
Werner / Dembele
Traore
Martial
Greenwood
James

That will be an exciting group of 6 to choose front 3 from.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Nah, much like Depay, if he was coming into the sort of solid structure like we used to have he might be worth a shot once the senior players could show him what was expected.

Our current incarnation would see him coming in as a star and setting his own, shitty standards.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He's strong, fast and can do a decent cross at times but his decision making is absolutely horrendous.
What im talking about

manc4red

Traore is a beast. He has strength and speed. With a great coach he can be quite something I believe.

Liverpool is linked with him. This won’t be good for us as Klopp can actually coach players

Ludens the Red

He's strong, fast and can do a decent cross at times but his decision making is absolutely horrendous.
What im talking about
Think people are starting to overstate this whole "bad decision making" thing. Mo Salah does what you just showed in that gif multiple times in a game, Rashford does it a lot, even Cristiano Ronaldo does it. One is just a mis hit shot with no passing options in sight and the other he just dribbles into trouble, things that wingers get caught on ALL the time. For some reason when its Traore it means he's "thick" and "brainless". Guy's been fantastic this season, joint third with assists this season and a few goals to his name.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He works in Wolves system as a runner with a back 5 behind him but in a traditional 433 I wonder if he's good enough for a top top team. He'd be Antonio Contes dream signing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Traore is a beast. He has strength and speed. With a great coach he can be quite something I believe.

Liverpool is linked with him. This won’t be good for us as Klopp can actually coach players
Article recently about how the way wolves have made it work with him is basically to stop coaching him or trying to fit him into set team patterns, and just focus on getting him into positions to let him do his thing and have the team work around him to compensate.

If he were Henry, you'd take that as a top team but I think wolves is his ceiling for the time being.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's like a Depay with even less football intelligence. Which is no small feat.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I'm convinced people don't actually watch him play, but just rush into this thread after every game to call him brainless. For example, to ignore his assist yesterday, and to ignore his pass below at 2:10, but instead post a gif of him taking a shot when he's got no help around him as an example of him being brainless is really odd.

stubie

You’re talking £80m to prize him away but given the choice I’d stay at Wolves as they’re more likely to progress further than United at the moment. Him and Raúl will be the difference for them qualifying for the CL or not

JB7

He has a great coach. Look at the strides he's made in 18 months under Nuno, he was a joke figure to the Wolves fans last season.

meamth

Thing is, players like him who rely on physical abilities might have short peak years.

Whether if he can develop his decision making ability is all a theory at this point.

But I do agree, It's never too late to be a world class player.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm convinced people don't actually watch him play, but just rush into this thread after every game to call him brainless. For example, to ignore his assist yesterday, and to ignore his pass below at 2:10, but instead post a gif of him taking a shot when he's got no help around him as an example of him being brainless is really odd.

He has moments of brilliance, but you can't really fault people for questioning his decision making. He's still young though.

Ekeke

He has moments of brilliance, but you can't really fault people for questioning his decision making. He's still young though.
What matters is that he still produces the goods, regardless of whether he makes every correct choice. Theres players with better decision making that will never be anywhere near as effective as his ability to take players on with speed and power, and be a goal threat from range.

As an example he has 3 goals from outside the box this season. Bruno Fernandes has 1 in the Portuguese league and 1 in the Europa league, and his long shots are what hes known for. Only Mahrez and Maddison have scored more from outside the box in the league with 4 each. Then you have assists and only KDB and TAA have more than he has in the league this season, playing for the top 2 clubs and highest scorers in the league, while Traore is in a team thats scored even less than we have.

I could easily see him moving to a top club in the summer, maybe one from another league though. A Bayern, a PSG, etc

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He works in Wolves system as a runner with a back 5 behind him but in a traditional 433 I wonder if he's good enough for a top top team. He'd be Antonio Contes dream signing.
This. I'm not sure he's quite productive and efficient enough to play as a forward for a top team, with the possible exceptions of City and Barcelona. As a wing player though he's exceptional
At this point it's basically criticizing him for what he isn't and people think he could/should be

future2future

2 perfect crosses yesterday, one resulted in a goal, other almost, scored goals this season, has pace and strength. He would be a instant starter for us, and is a sensible Sancho alternative, not on the same level, but the next best thing.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Should have won the game last night for Wolves, had Jota slipped him in when it all opened up at 1-1.

He'll always have that Bale-esque problem of getting behind a deep defence, but his unique physicality, ball-carrying ability and directness must be horrible to defend against.

troylocker

He doesn’t defend and is horrendously inconsistent.

But he’s one of the very few premier league players I’d pay to see.
Agree.
On his days he is a total beast! He was fantastic in the second half yesterday and made Robertson look like a slow U21-player on several occasions, but on another day he is invisible.
His acceleration is unreal and his crosses are also getting better and better.

SambaBoy

We should be in for him. He's developing nicely at Wolves, and starting to iron out some issues that were present in his game. Most of the criticism is regarding his end product but he gets in them positions by his sheer skill and if he were to produce 1/4 times in a game, it normally resulting in a goal or assist. Most wingers would look to pass it backwards or not be able to take on his man therefore they don't really have the chance to put the ball in the box or make them key decisions like Adama, but he just gets the ball and is very direct with it.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I haven't enjoyed watching much football lately but I loved last nights game. I would pay to watch Traore any day of the week. He is exciting to watch and is very direct and effective.

Not sure James is anywhere near his level pace but that's what you do when your rapid! You run at people and absolutely terrorise them at every opportunity.

RedFan84

Supports
Liverpool
I'll take him at Liverpool now. There's enough about him now to suggest that his decision making has improved. He's not purely a speed merchant anymore. Also he's probably the only winger i've seen to seriously trouble Robertson. He will keep the first choice wingers honest and can easily be brought on as a substitute and still maintain the intensity. Loads of times you see Klopp go for Shaqiri , Origi as plan B. That's all fine but Adama (If he adds a bit of defensive nous to the game) can deputize for Salah initially as welll as been looked at as a low cost alternative to some of the higher priced targets out there when Salah is moved on.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
as welll as been looked at as a low cost alternative to some of the higher priced targets out there when Salah is moved on.
The player Traore is getting closest to in terms of effectiveness is probably someone like Zaha (last few seasons Zaha, not United Zaha).

Zaha is 4 years older, plays for a firmly mid-table club and his asking price is £80m.

Based on all that, how much do you think it would take for us to sell Traore?