Adidas x Stone Roses to release Manchester United collection (Entrance music discussion at OT also)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
'This is the One is too dreary. We should replace it with Joy Division' - mad people.

Sweet Square

Omg when Jassim buys the club United should come out to The Avengers theme tune!! And with Mbappé running down the tunnel doing the floss dance!!!!! #GlazersOut #Qatar4Life #LetsGooooo!

klsv

Time for a change - it's a "meh" song that only Mancs enjoy. Need something more rousing and ideally modern so that the younger fans and maybe even our own players feel inspired.

I really don't think players like Bruno or Garnacho give a shit about Stone Roses.
Yeah, definitely should think of the youth and how tiktokable it is!

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Fanfare for Rocky is spine tingling - great memories, probably my favourite.

this is the one - I do have a soft spot for it, also had it as my wedding reception entrance song!

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I don't agree with changing the walk out tune. The Roses have produced one of the greatest albums of all time.

If we were to change it the only thing I would change it to is Sit Down by James

blackbay

Someone already suggested “Step On” but for me it should as Loose Fit by the Mondays. Absolutely massive riff with a filthy swaggering beat behind it. The Mondays are the best Manchester band, nqat

justsomebloke

Give me a Hell Yeah

I'd pick Thunderstruck (I love ACDC)

Joy Division a good shout.

I love This Is The One so not too fussed about changing it.
I'm trying to think which Joy Division song that'd be, and the only thing that comes to mind is "New Dawn Fades". :)

Even with Manchester producing more of my favorite bands than any other city in the world, it's surprisingly hard to find worthy candidates. Some are ruled out because they're avid City fans - The Fall, Oasis. Even The Smiths are split - Morrissey reportedly United (and Rourke confirmed), but Marr decidedly City, to an extent that makes it hard to believe he'd okay the use of their Music at Trafford. Then there's the fact that most mancunian music is not of the sort that lends itself to the occasion. Too much darkness. Matt Johnson is a confirmed big fan, but which The The song would suit? "Angels of Deception"? "Twilight of a Champion"? So's Howard Devoto, but again, which early Buzzcocks or Magazine song? "Boredom"? "Permafrost"? Actually, "Shot by both sides" might be nice, musically if not on title. Or "Rhytm of Cruelty". Then there's Morrissey's "Munich Air Disaster", which I love, but it's Morrissey, so that's obviously a no-go these days.

New Order though, there's got to be something there. "True Faith"? The Wedding Present's "Kennedy" would be great, but maybe the lyrics would be painfully apt as a description of our squad in recent years: "Lost your love of life?/Too much apple pie"). Although it includes a ready-made transfer strategy too ("You've got to pick some people up/You've got to let some people go"). It helps of course that they named an album "George Best".

But on balance, perhaps best to stick with the Roses.

I have a perfect one for Leeds though, from local stalwarts The Mekons: Darkness and Doubt - YouTube.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Having Bitter Sweet Symphony suggested has just made me want it to happen.

As soon as that first violin note hits the place would go up. I genuinely just got goosebumps imagining it.

pacifictheme

I'm trying to think which Joy Division song that'd be, and the only thing that comes to mind is "New Dawn Fades". :)

Even with Manchester producing more of my favorite bands than any other city in the world, it's surprisingly hard to find worthy candidates. Some are ruled out because they're avid City fans - The Fall, Oasis. Even The Smiths are split - Morrissey reportedly United (and Rourke confirmed), but Marr decidedly City, to an extent that makes it hard to believe he'd okay the use of their Music at Trafford. Then there's the fact that most mancunian music is not of the sort that lends itself to the occasion. Too much darkness. Matt Johnson is a confirmed big fan, but which The The song would suit? "Angels of Deception"? "Twilight of a Champion"? So's Howard Devoto, but again, which early Buzzcocks or Magazine song? "Boredom"? "Permafrost"? Actually, "Shot by both sides" might be nice, musically if not on title. Or "Rhytm of Cruelty". Then there's Morrissey's "Munich Air Disaster", which I love, but it's Morrissey, so that's obviously a no-go these days.

New Order though, there's got to be something there. "True Faith"? The Wedding Present's "Kennedy" would be great, but maybe the lyrics would be painfully apt as a description of our squad in recent years: "Lost your love of life?/Too much apple pie"). Although it includes a ready-made transfer strategy too ("You've got to pick some people up/You've got to let some people go"). It helps of course that they named an album "George Best".

But on balance, perhaps best to stick with the Roses.

I have a perfect one for Leeds though, from local stalwarts The Mekons: Darkness and Doubt - YouTube.
Tutti fruity?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I also personally don’t think it’s a great walk out tune. It’s slow and a bit drippy and sounds like it could be the theme tune to a Saturday morning cookery show. I preferred Rocky but Mancs of a certain age are obsessed with the Roses, so I can understand the cultural reasons somewhat so…. eh

That said Manchester has a lot of good music, so it’s not hard to find something just as suitable. As others have said Bittersweet Symphony and Step On have a lot more swagger than something that sounds like it could be at the start of a 90s sitcom they played on a Sunday morning on C4.

Stone Roses are one of those bands whose fans speak about them like they're the The Beatles or something.
Which is amusing as they’re less eclectic than fecking Oasis! It’s literally just the first half of one album that’s passable.. but if you’re 45 and still partial to a bucket hat it’s Beethoven’s 9th

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Which is amusing as they’re less eclectic than fecking Oasis! It’s literally just the first half of one album that’s passable.. but if you’re 45 and still partial to a bucket hat it’s Beethoven’s 9th
Blasphemy!

Stone the cockney heretic

Spoony

The People's President
Personally I’d rather Fools Gold if it’s got to be a Roses song. At least it’s got some swagger about it.

I think the I Wanna be Adored intro is probably the closest to a recent ring entrance. I love War - Rocky 4. But Saltord City can have it.

wolvored

Fanfare for the common man by ELP would be a great track for the team to walk out to. Only music though. An old slow song like liverpool and west ham have so the song can be known and sung by the crowd.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
'This Is The One' is a great song, but it just doesn't have enough about it to be an entrance song. Even when I listen to it with headphones on, the bit where it's just bass on its own, and even the first chorus, are just so quiet. Maybe the original idea was that everybody would sing a long with it, but that's not happening.

I liked the Rocky fanfare, as it didn't feel separate from the crowd noise, it felt part of it, and still allowed for the crowd to chant over it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Our luck we would get Devil Woman by Cliff. I actually quite like it, but not sure I would want a football team walking out to it.
Ladies and Gentlemen by Saliva ... potential to get the crowd up perhaps.
More Human Than Humam by White Zombie ... was the preferred choice of my basic training instructor to get us motivated in the morning.

There are many rock/hard rock/metal songs that could pump up the crowd.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ladies and Gentlemen by Saliva ... potential to get the crowd up perhaps.
More Human Than Humam by White Zombie ... was the preferred choice of my basic training instructor to get us motivated in the morning.

There are many rock/hard rock/metal songs that could pump up the crowd.
German teams seem to like their rock music.

justsomebloke

Great tune but Doves are City fans even playing on the hallowed Maine Rd turf. Perhaps, Europe - The Final Countdown?
Please tell me you're joking. Not only is it a ridiculous, shit song - it's THE ICONIC ridiculous, shit song.

Last edited:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Simply Red have got a new album out. I bet that’s got some bangers.