5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDwyr

Januzaj and Di Maria are our 2 best players. Just switch to 4-3-3 and drop one of the underperfoming Rooney, RVP, Mata.
I'm leaning towards this. I think it'd improve us significantly. There would still be issues but I think we could at least be beating Burnley, Swansea etc

hp88

Januzaj and Di Maria are our 2 best players. Just switch to 4-3-3 and drop one of the underperfoming Rooney, RVP, Mata.
About time we start building the team around the youngster.

Getsme

If Van Gaal persists with his "philosophy", which Adnan doesn't currently seem to fit into, he could well get fed up and look elsewhere.
I'm thinking he doesn't fit into the 3-5-2 formation (which he obviously doesn't). When we switch to 4-3-3, I'm certain he will feature.

Rednotdead

Doubt he's packing his bag just yet. I'd imagine he has more patience tban the average caftard, thankfully.
Don't put words into other people's mouths, I didn't say or infer anything about "packing his bags just yet". I clearly said "if Van Gaal persists with his "philosophy" - i.e. over the long term - Adnan doesn't fit anywhere into it as it stands and if that situation stays the same over the long term he may well get fed up of sitting on the bench. Over the long term.

Getsme

Well, I hope that switch is sooner rather than later - and not just for Adnan's sake.
I'd imagine (hope) it will happen after the international break, we should have a few of our injured players back by then.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Januzaj isn't close to being our best player yet.

Di Maria is but he's better in the middle. Playing him wide in a 4-3-3 isn't better for him.

I'm thinking he doesn't fit into the 3-5-2 formation (which he obviously doesn't). When we switch to 4-3-3, I'm certain he will feature.
Januzaj does fit into the formation providing he's playing well enough to earn a place. Long term I think he'll end up as a #10 anyway, and right not he could play in one of the front three positions.

In lots of 3-5-2's one of the deeper forwards drifts wide behind a more advanced striker, for example Sanchez and Robben both did this at the World Cup and in the past players like Del Piero did the same. He does fit the system if he can earn a starting spot IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't put words into other people's mouths, I didn't say or infer anything about "packing his bags just yet". I clearly said "if Van Gaal persists with his "philosophy" - i.e. over the long term - Adnan doesn't fit anywhere into it as it stands and if that situation stays the same over the long term he may well get fed up of sitting on the bench. Over the long term.
Van Gaal's clearly going to persist with his philosophy. Equally, if Januzaj doesn't start any games over the long term he's clearly going to want to leave.

Of course the two don't necessarily go hand in hand. Van Gaal's already played Januzaj in three different positions in the only formation he's used so far. He'll have more options when he tries different formations. Don't see the point making long term predictions this early in the season.

In Rainbows

Bottom line is he hasnt been handed a start yet, which is absolutely ludicrous.

Only thing more atrocious was Di Maria coming off not for Januzaj... But for fat fecking Anderson. If Januzaj is shown the door this year, Ill be extremely disappointed.
Anderson had to come on as he was the only midfielder on the bench. Januzaj isn't one and he already played in midfield against Sunderland. It wasn't a success.

Donut

Januzaj isn't close to being our best player yet.
It's getting more obvious each game. Maybe the system and supporting cast doesn't suit Mata, Rooney, & RVP, but for the past year Januzaj has outperformed all of them and he's only going to get better.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
It's getting more obvious each game. Maybe the system and supporting cast doesn't suit Mata, Rooney, & RVP, but for the past year Januzaj has outperformed all of them and he's only going to get better.
Tbf, apart of Mata's & Roo's productivity (Mata has like 8 goals in his last 10 matches), they have been bang average and Januzaj has looked better at all the other things for the past year. His touch, vision, skill, penetration, directness, creativity, insight, pace, dribble, and so on.

TheReligion

Abusive
I was very underwhelmed by Januzaj against MK Dons and I would imagine LVG would have been.

He is a long way off nailing down a starting place in my opinion, unless we make the switch to two attacking wingers which I think suits him far better than being asked to play more inside.

NinjaFletch

Can you define the words philosophy and formation for me please? Its just your misusing the former when you clearly mean the latter.

Sammyjunn

I was very underwhelmed by Januzaj against MK Dons and I would imagine LVG would have been.

He is a long way off nailing down a starting place in my opinion, unless we make the switch to two attacking wingers which I think suits him far better than being asked to play more inside.
This is his first really bad match, if he is a long way off nailing down a starting place Wayne, Mata, RVP should be in the reserves.

izec

I never like this rumours, even if they arent true. Ther eis always a possibility that they might be true. I just hope we switch to 4-3-3 and play him on the wing. He is not a wingback or a number 10 at the moment.

Rednotdead

Can you define the words philosophy and formation for me please? Its just your misusing the former when you clearly mean the latter.
Do you mean "your" or "you're"? And do you mean "it's" or "its"?

Please don't assume you know I mean something other than what I say. The word "philosophy" was used deliberately because that's what Van Gaal always refers to. If you want to know what it means, ask him not me.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So we drop Mata to give him time? Or maybe Di Maria?

Van Gaal is trying a system he believes is beneficial to the players he has available. As the season progresses everyone will get chances. At no point have the club ever indicated Adnan is not part of their long term plans. Dont see why anyone is making a drama out of media crap invented reports! If Van Gaal wasn't impressed with his attitude he'd be on his way out very quickly.
One thing is for sure Januzaj's body language has changed.. he looks frightened, which for me is a good thing.. every youngster should be worried that I need to earn my stripes to play for United. Some have compared him to Ronaldo and how the former had this insatiable hunger for the game.. whereas the latter looks abit too pleased with himself. It is normal for young players to think they have made it, i.e. he's got the 11 shirt... Moyes etc really rate him.

Now he's back to being a nobody of sorts, though I feel LVG does like him, he's possibly just testing him. Either way if Januzaj can't break into the side in its current state, then he probably is being rated above what he is truly capable of. He really does have it all going for him with this side... I think he can easily replace Mata, or one of the strikers.. or nail a starting spot in a 4-3-3... he just needs to seize the moment and be a matchwinner, make it impossible for LVG to leave him out.

RuudTom83

I think i'm right in saying...Januzaj is the only player along with De Gea to appear in every game so far this season, he might not be starting games but he is getting minutes and is usually the first attacking sub so i don't understand the worry about Januzaj not getting games or fitting into the side.

At the moment LVG is just picking a side from the fit players available to him, tactically the selection has not changed at all depending on the opposition, so while LVG gets to know the league i think the senior players will play when fit.

NinjaFletch

Do you mean "your" or "you're"? And do you mean "it's" or "its"?

Please don't assume you know I mean something other than what I say. The word "philosophy" was used deliberately because that's what Van Gaal always refers to. If you want to know what it means, ask him not me.
You clearly mean that Januzaj doesn't fit into the 3-5-2. The idea that he doesn't fit in to Van Gaal's philosophy is utterly absurd.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
You clearly mean that Januzaj doesn't fit into the 3-5-2. The idea that he doesn't fit in to Van Gaal's philosophy is utterly absurd.
van Gaal's philosophy and 3-5-2 are 2 different things. 3-5-2 is a formation not a philosophy.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
I wish I agreed with you, but it seems Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia are more vital to LVG's vision than Adnan.

I just died a little.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Having taken the #11 shirt just over two weeks ago and the fact he's been one of the more marketable faces for us over this summer I'd be astounded to see him leave any time soon.

Sure his progress could go down the pan and he can become one of many recently overhyped players from the United ranks but to see him leave now would leave me jaw-dropped.

hp88

The rumours seem to be growing. Realistically speaking, there really isn't a place for Januzaj in our team now. With LVGs open door policy with regard to players leaving, perhaps Januzaj has decided to cut his losses.
LVG will have to switch to 4-3-3 at some point so Adnan and Di Maria will become two essential players.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I really do hope we can switch to 4-3-3, he's so much better out wide right now. Even when we were doing so bad last season, Januzaj was enough to keep me excited throughout the season.

I apologize, I misunderstood your post. :)

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
One thing is for sure Januzaj's body language has changed.. he looks frightened, which for me is a good thing.. every youngster should be worried that I need to earn my stripes to play for United. Some have compared him to Ronaldo and how the former had this insatiable hunger for the game.. whereas the latter looks abit too pleased with himself. It is normal for young players to think they have made it, i.e. he's got the 11 shirt... Moyes etc really rate him.

Now he's back to being a nobody of sorts, though I feel LVG does like him, he's possibly just testing him. Either way if Januzaj can't break into the side in its current state, then he probably is being rated above what he is truly capable of. He really does have it all going for him with this side... I think he can easily replace Mata, or one of the strikers.. or nail a starting spot in a 4-3-3... he just needs to seize the moment and be a matchwinner, make it impossible for LVG to leave him out.
Totally disagree with you on the body language thing. Confidence is so important to every player - HTF can you think its a good thing for a 19 year old to look frightened? Do you honestly think anyone would play better that way? That's absurd and surely you know that.

The rest I agree with so maybe you're not insane after all ;) .

NinjaFletch

As I've said before, don't be so arrogant as to tell me you know what I mean and I don't.
Well better explain how Januzaj doesn't fit into the philosophy, and I mean the philosophy. Not the formation, the philosophy.

Because he so obviously is perfect for what LVG expects that's it's utterly bizarre to argue otherwise, he's just not a natural fit for a 3-5-2.

Sam

I wish I agreed with you, but it seems Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia are more vital to LVG's vision than Adnan.

I just died a little.
:lol:

Thats how I feel everytime I see the teamsheet with the names Young and Valencia on it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Totally disagree with you on the body language thing. Confidence is so important to every player - HTF can you think its a good thing for a 19 year old to look frightened? Do you honestly think anyone would play better that way? That's absurd and surely you know that.

The rest I agree with so maybe you're not insane after all ;) .
I remember Sterling going through the same thing for Liverpool. He burst onto the scene and then Rodgers took him down a peg or two. It done wonders for his game.. short term knock in confidence is fine as long as ultimately it leads to a more resilient, hungry and mature individual.

Obviously continuously dropping him and never playing him will kill the lad, I hope LVG knows how to strike the right balance.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
I remember Sterling going through the same thing for Liverpool. He burst onto the scene and then Rodgers took him down a peg or two. It done wonders for his game.. short term knock in confidence is fine as long as ultimately it leads to a more resilient, hungry and mature individual.

Obviously continuously dropping him and never playing him will kill the lad, I hope LVG knows how to strike the right balance.
Fair point

Rednotdead

Well better explain how Januzaj doesn't fit into the philosophy, and I mean the philosophy. Not the formation, the philosophy.

Because he so obviously is perfect for what LVG expects that's it's utterly bizarre to argue otherwise, he's just not a natural fit for a 3-5-2.
I don't have to explain anything to the likes of you.

NinjaFletch

I don't have to explain anything to the likes of you.
:lol:

Lets be clear, your posts in this thread are along the lines of:

"Januzaj doesn't fit in to the philosophy"

You then agreed with someone saying that he doesn't fit in to the formation and stated you hope the transition to a 4-5-1 happens sooner rather than later and now are going on to the defensive because I stated that I think you've confused the idea of a formation and a philosophy.

Do you not see why I think your statement of 'Januzaj doesn't fit into the philosophy' requires some actual explaining if you're insistent upon the fact that you didn't mean to say formation?

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I doubt Adnan is going anywhere. He's certainly our best youth product who has the best chance of nailing down a permanent starting XI role. Luckily, I doubt Van Gaal extends him the "special player" status some of his fanboy brigade on here have anointed him with. All his work is still ahead of him.

Sammyjunn

I doubt Adnan is going anywhere. He's certainly our best youth product who has the best chance of nailing down a permanent starting XI role. Luckily, I doubt Van Gaal extends him the "special player" status some of his fanboy brigade on here have anointed him with. All his work is still ahead of him.
We'll lose out of him, he can go to all the clubs in the world, every club would be happy to sign him, so why sit on the bench at this United and see how Valencia/Young are being started every week? He knows whats best for him and being in this team, on the bench isnt. While his agemate Sterling is now playing every week and is making progress every week Januzaj is no better than he was last season, and he'll also recognize that soon. I think these rumours are shite but if it goes on for a longer time, I wouldnt be surprised if he left. Our advantage is that we have signed him on a 5 year contract, so if we dont want 2 let go we dont and if we do, we'll get a big fee for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.