Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So, assuming we make Falcao our main man, and RVP is our for some time, do you guys see him starting in right winger position? Something like that:
----------Falcao--------

--Rooney--------------Januzaj--

-----Di Maria-----Herrera------

---------------Blind-------------
I think it would be perfect for him and for us.

FromTheBench

“Indeed, it is speculation. However, I can be very clear. There is no problem with Januzaj at Manchester United,” he told Voetbal Nieuws.

When asked whether Angel di Maria‘s arrival effects Januzaj’s opportunities, De Vriese said: “Certainly not. Adnan has stitches in his mouth because he has suffered an injury.'

“The club and coach have every confidence in him. He has not been given the No.11 for nothing. The arrival of the new players who are going to play will definitely play no role in his further development.”

http://thepeoplesperson.com/2014/09...ent-confirms-staying-manchester-united-52307/

Hamadovich86

Still trying to decide this lads position. I am leaning towards him being a winger who cuts inside from the right but our current formation does not allow him to do that.

Devil may care

The sooner we move to 4-3-3 so he can play on the right side of the front 3, the better.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I can see him play a similar role like Reus or Ronaldo. Let him get to full fitness and he will thrive under LVG

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I can see him play a similar role like Reus or Ronaldo. Let him get to full fitness and he will thrive under LVG
I think he will become more Reus like than Ronaldo, although Reus also scores lots of goals I dont think Januzaj will become a prolific goalscorer, he'll be more of a team player, the question is will he become it here or elsewhere. If we keep him on the bench the coming two years, it will be elsewhere.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think he will become more Reus like than Ronaldo, although Reus also scores lots of goals I dont think Januzaj will become a prolific goalscorer, he'll be more of a team player, the question is will he become it here or elsewhere. If we keep him on the bench the coming two years, it will be elsewhere.
I was surprised by his goals last season, especially in the beginning. I can see him scoring plenty of goals and it's no wonder some people see him as a striker (I dont but it shows you that he has the ability)

Superpolfcb

Does anyone have an explanation for his apparent lack of energy sometimes?

I'm a big fan of Januzaj, but today again (he played 30 mins for Belgium) I got the impression that he doesn't really seize every chance he gets.
If he receives the ball, he'll try to make something happen. If he or a teammate loses the ball, he tracks back at speed. If a teammate recovers the ball in midfield, however, he often strolls forward instead of sprinting.

It's something I don't really understand. A lot of other youngsters in attacking positions will make sure they're always available for a pass and join every counterattack, when they only get 20 or 30 minutes.

I don't know if he just tries to be disciplined tactically, can't handle the intensity of multiple sprints in a short time or if it's a kind of laziness (would surprise me, given the effort he puts in tracking back sometimes).

Thoughts?

In Rainbows

I'm a big fan of Januzaj, but today again (he played 30 mins for Belgium) I got the impression that he doesn't really seize every chance he gets.
If he receives the ball, he'll try to make something happen. If he or a teammate loses the ball, he tracks back at speed. If a teammate recovers the ball in midfield, however, he often strolls forward instead of sprinting.

It's something I don't really understand. A lot of other youngsters in attacking positions will make sure they're always available for a pass and join every counterattack, when they only get 20 or 30 minutes.

I don't know if he just tries to be disciplined tactically, can't handle the intensity of multiple sprints in a short time or if it's a kind of laziness (would surprise me, given the effort he puts in tracking back sometimes).

Thoughts?
I saw his performance too and I can see what you're talking about. He was often too far behind to join the attack after he had tracked the run of Australia's lb/lw.

FromTheBench

Thoughts?
Hmm yeah, that's something he can improve on. Maybe he feels sometimes he doesn't have the speed joining the counter from deep when he's behind others.

Depends also on the tactical set up he is playing tbf.

rotherham_red

I think he will thrive this season, with space provided by the movement of Falcao, RVP/Rooney and the pace of Di Maria. I think he will cement himself as first choice on the right wing this season IMO.

JUPITER

Still trying to decide this lads position. I am leaning towards him being a winger who cuts inside from the right but our current formation does not allow him to do that.
By 'decide' do you mean 'guess'?

Unless you're LvG in which case I apologise ;)

Sam

Am I the only one that thinks he a tad overrated on here?

Don't get me wrong, the kid is hugely talented, and was the shining light in a woeful season last year. But people on here seem to talk as if its a matter of time until he's a first team regular, till he's our best player, and until he's the best player in the world. The 'next Ronaldo' and all that. Yet, has he really shown that much yet? Enough to deserve those kind of comments and comparisons? I mean someone like Sterling for example has shown a lot more, in a better team, and yet most still rate Januzaj over him (United bias and all that). I'm hugely excited for Januzaj's future, and what he might achieve. But I just don't think its quite as clear cut and certain as many believe.

Dante

Average bang
Maybe the manager asked him to hang back so he could use his long shooting on any loose balls.

FromTheBench

Don't get me wrong, the kid is hugely talented, and was the shining light in a woeful season last year. But people on here seem to talk as if its a matter of time until he's a first team regular, till he's our best player, and until he's the best player in the world. The 'next Ronaldo' and all that. Yet, has he really shown that much yet? Enough to deserve those kind of comments and comparisons? I mean someone like Sterling for example has shown a lot more, in a better team, and yet most still rate Januzaj over him (United bias and all that). I'm hugely excited for Januzaj's future, and what he might achieve. But I just don't think its quite as clear cut and certain as many believe.
You mentioned 4 different categories of assumption there. I don't see many calling him the next Ronaldo or best player in the world etc..but yeah, he should be a first regular given his talent. Don't think that's overrating him at all.

And as for Sterling right now he's gone ahead this season but he is getting playing time regularly with the team sort of structured around him and sturridge right now and it's also his 3rd season. Januzaj has more competition in attacking areas and we've shifted formations this season which has meant him being used as a Sub mostly.

I'd say most would agree Sterling is better right now. Whose a better talent is up for debate.

Superpolfcb

Hmm yeah, that's something he can improve on. Maybe he feels sometimes he doesn't have the speed joining the counter from deep when he's behind others.

Depends also on the tactical set up he is playing tbf.
I expect this season will be more about learning than actually impressing every game for him (when he plays).

Last season he had the 'advantage' that the team was lacking any kind of creativity and flair. When he played, creating was his main goal. If a pass failed, he'd try it again the next minute because the other players and the manager knew he was the one they were looking for to create. He was the man that was capable to provide something they couldn't. In short, he was Utd's main attacking player.

Now it's different. Other, more high-profile and maybe better, players have come in/back and have become the main men. When Januzaj gets his chance, he's just one of the players now, meaning the defensive and tactical part of his game has become a lot more important than it was last season. During the first few games this season he had to adapt to that, it's something that will take time but will be very important for his career.
For his type of player, decision making is key. I'm sure Giggs and Van Gaal will improve that.

The 30 mins today and his cameo as a central midfielder emphasized that. Playing in a different role or with other instructions (Belgium's manager wants defensive stability) he didn't yet find the right balance.

Playing as a central midfielder that time, most of his passes were safe, even when we needed the 'killer-pass'. It's all part of adapting to new responsibilities and roles. In the end it will help him and he'll be fantastic, but it might limit his playing time this season, knowing the competition.

FromTheBench

Maybe the manager asked him to hang back so he could use his long shooting on any loose balls.
His long range shooting is interesting aspect that has gotten into his game more.

He is attempting more and more long rangers these days when he barely used to shoot much in the u21 days. Wonder if that's a aspect that has been picked up by the coaches in training and he's been told to do it more as his accuracy still has to improve in match situations and results in him being more selfish almost in a Ronaldo/Bale way which he wasn't earlier or even when he broke through.

Annahnomoss

I rate him a lot higher talent wise as a central attacking midfielder than as a winger. I don't think he has the acceleration, pace and dribbling to be one of the worlds very finest wingers.

Centrally though his dribbling and drive is already world class and his shooting, vision and playmaking is at a really high level too. The only negative in his game is that he loses the ball a lot(more than Nani) and his defensive work rate is poor.

Both those things comes with first team experience though. I think he is too good for his own good, United will be scared to sell him and pull a Pogba but he won't get enough game time here either.

FromTheBench

Now it's different. Other, more high-profile and maybe better, players have come in/back and have become the main men. When Januzaj gets his chance, he's just one of the players now, meaning the defensive and tactical part of his game has become a lot more important than it was last season. During the first few games this season he had to adapt to that, it's something that will take time but will be very important for his career.
For his type of player, decision making is key. I'm sure Giggs and Van Gaal will improve that.

The 30 mins today and his cameo as a central midfielder emphasized that. Playing in a different role or with other instructions (Belgium's manager wants defensive stability) he didn't yet find the right balance.

Playing as a central midfielder that time, most of his passes were safe, even when we needed the 'killer-pass'. It's all part of adapting to new responsibilities and roles. In the end it will help him and he'll be fantastic, but it might limit his playing time this season, knowing the competition.
Depends on the setup and the role he's asked to play really.

Put him in the Liverpool team with Sturridge and Sterling the way they are playing right or like Argentina were playing yesterday in a more fluid interchanging front 3 and he will thrive just like Lamela and Di Maria did yesterday along with Aguero. In this formation playing him as wingback, central midfield sub appearances and such will take time find his role.

Surprised he hasn't been used centrally yet as one of the front though there's lot of competition there. (Though now reduced.)

For essence Di Maria was good against Burnley playing as #8 though sloppy, seeing him in the Argentina setup was just another couple of levels above given a free attacking role.

MoneyMay

Match comp is up!

I don't agree with the comments about a lack of energy coming from Januzaj. He came on and did well both offensively and defensively (at tracking runners), plus it's a friendly match so I don't think much should be expected anyway.

FromTheBench

Decent performance. Some good moments and some sloppy touches.

Anyway, i don't get why Belgium with so many fluid and good players in attack and good pacy focal points too always seem to play so rigid.

In Rainbows

Decent performance. Some good moments and some sloppy touches.

Anyway, i don't get why Belgium with so many fluid and good players in attack and good pacy focal points too always seem to play so rigid.
Wilmots just can't get the team to be great in attack. Even Hazard looked neutered under him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

I disagree. He showed last season how talented he is and that he can decide games. Sometimes, he was by far our best player being just 18 years old (which didnt speak for the other players).

But, what people need to keep in mind is that it will be up and down with him. He will have games where he will be amazing, but then also games where he looks out of depth - natural process for a young talented player

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
He won't be starting yet. He iso only 19, he is behind a lot of world class players and it depends on what formation we use. I think he will end up being a 10 but right now that position has a few players vying for it.

m1y2

Must admit that I started to watch Belgium right after Januzaj joined the squad but I can't understand how they could make the world cup, they are so poor tactically and also individually. Maybe it is harsh to say but looking at their display say last 10 matches they jsut struggle and maybe they should go for another coach, Januzaj never gets the ball soon enough he is cut off the game often. And if you look at the players you can use, some of them are just world class at their positions. Wilmots just couldnt do worse than he did. Just a thought

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Must admit that I started to watch Belgium right after Januzaj joined the squad but I can't understand how they could make the world cup, they are so poor tactically and also individually. Maybe it is harsh to say but looking at their display say last 10 matches they jsut struggle and maybe they should go for another coach, Januzaj never gets the ball soon enough he is cut off the game often. And if you look at the players you can use, some of them are just world class at their positions. Wilmots just couldnt do worse than he did. Just a thought
100% agree...Wilmots isn't the right one for this team......like Moyes for Manchester United

Loublaze

ATLien
He won't be starting yet. He iso only 19, he is behind a lot of world class players and it depends on what formation we use. I think he will end up being a 10 but right now that position has a few players vying for it.
Aha. He is only 19, but we had to give him a big contract to keep him away from PSG last season. He's a 19 year old on 60k a week and is one of the highest paid teens in world football. He's in a position to ask for guarantees on game time and he can only point to his agemate Sterling at Liverpool who's arguably in his class and playing week in week out (Sterling is only 2 months older than Januzaj but born in separate years). LVG has a job on his hands as far as what he intends to do with Januzaj given our rich attacking options. Januzaj's agent will probably on the phone with other teams this January, loand, permanent deal proposals etc. I only have confidence that the teams that can unsettle him are dealing with FFP and Chelsea and Real are unlikely to pounce as early as January.
Even if we start to play 4-3-3 from now on, Adnan won't probably start most matches.
Indeed. If Januzaj plays in 4-3-3 then which other two players join him upfront when we have three or possibly even four others to pick from?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The swing in general mood of conversation with regards to young big talents and Ed Woodward bear a lot of similarities. Make of that what you will.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Aha. He is only 19, but we had to give him a big contract to keep him away from PSG last season. He's a 19 year old on 60k a week and is one of the highest paid teens in world football. He's in a position to ask for guarantees on game time and he can only point to his agemate Sterling at Liverpool who's arguably in his class and playing week in week out (Sterling is only 2 months older than Januzaj but born in separate years). LVG has a job on his hands as far as what he intends to do with Januzaj given our rich attacking options. Januzaj's agent will probably on the phone with other teams this January, loand, permanent deal proposals etc. I only have confidence that the teams that can unsettle him are dealing with FFP and Chelsea and Real are unlikely to pounce as early as January.

Indeed. If Januzaj plays in 4-3-3 then which other two players join him upfront when we have three or possibly even four others to pick from?
Every player sort of is but that would be presumptuous tbh. He (and us as fans too) shouldn't use Sterling as an example, every player follows his own trajectory.
If his agent will create a mess then so be it. There are better players than him at the club, he can only work harder and grab his opportunities.
Adnan has great talent but there has been a lot of players during the start who have never delivered on their initial talent, patience should be used here by us and him.

anchan1989

Yes. He is mostly rated very highly by United fans. But hey, thats ok. You want your guy to do well. And some media, even international ones jumped on the bandwagon because he is a United player. So you cant blame fans that much,
specially in the times United is right now.
I stand by the fact that he was good, nothing more till today.
Lets be honest. It isnt helping the kid to push him. Some really should rest heir hype a bit, its only helping if they do.
And stop the paying thing. United takes a risk with him and have the money to overpay for chance. He didnt deserve it by now.

ScarleyUtd

I disagree. He showed last season how talented he is and that he can decide games. Sometimes, he was by far our best player being just 18 years old (which didnt speak for the other players).

But, what people need to keep in mind is that it will be up and down with him. He will have games where he will be amazing, but then also games where he looks out of depth - natural process for a young talented player
Yes, what more do people want at 18 years old ffs?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I really liked him but questioned his lack of pace and never thought he'd make it as a top winger.. for him to be an elite player it would have to be as a striker or a number 10. Someone mentioned his lack of energy and it is telling that he doesn't drive at full-backs consistently enough to be a top winger.. compare him to a young Ronaldo/Giggs/Robben and they had so much pace and energy about them.

Januzaj has games where he seems to be able to run at full backs and then other games where he doesn't look like he can beat his man down the outside.. and I noticed last year especially against Shaw and Flanagan, he was kept in their pocket because they were faster than him.

On the left wing, he can play more of a Beckham role.. i.e. cross the ball and it is easier for him to run down the outside more. As a 10 his passing ability is fine and you don't need as much pace in that role but you do need energy.. to get on the ball constantly and make things happen, he can't just stand there and wait for the game to come to him.

I don't think he is a nailed on certainty to be a top player, he has to work hard to elevate his game to break through into this United set up in light of more money being spent on talent being brought in. Competing with the likes of Rooney, RVP, Mata is one thing because they're all slow.. but once LVG starts bringing in more energetic high-calibre talent.. Januzaj is going to have to prove he is worthy of a part in this revolution.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

I would be amazed if this is true. Most reports suggested it's 30 k

Shimo

Ideal? I wouldn't call my line-up ideal but this is what I'd go with from our current team.

With our current personnel and knowing Rooney is not going to be dropped, almost exactly the line up I'd like to see except maybe Smalling for Jones. I just don't see LVG giving Januzaj that shot though with RVP and Mata around.

Status
Not open for further replies.