5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

anchan1989

If anything I see more Zidane in Januzaj than Ronaldo.
........wtf
Come on guys. He is better then all your wingers, Mata, and so on already? I get stick for it on a United forum but I just cant believe how many long loving and smart football fans are getting carried away here.
Are there any other places in the world then United ones where he is talked about like this?
The English media need new superstars as fast as they can get them. And so they made much more buzz about a "savior" kid then it deserved for his first season(hell,after 10 games he got hyped up).
Sorry guys; that he got more money in his last month as a 18year old then Ronaldo and Messi(18 years old in 2004/06;since then a step up with the money in world football) means nothing in the money buried PL of 2013.
He is great and could become a monster but if you look at the numbers; he is close to 20 and what did he do till today? Lets see what he does this season.

El-Manos

........wtf
Come on guys. He is better then all your wingers, Mata, and so on already? I get stick for it on a United forum but I just cant believe how many long loving and smart football fans are getting carried away here.
Are there any other places in the world then United ones where he is talked about like this?
The English media need new superstars as fast as they can get them. And so they made much more buzz about a "savior" kid then it deserved for his first season(hell,after 10 games he got hyped up).
Sorry guys; that he got more money in his last month as a 18year old then Ronaldo and Messi(18 years old in 2004/06;since then a step up with the money in world football) means nothing in the money buried PL of 2013.
He is great and could become a monster but if you look at the numbers; he is close to 20 and what did he do till today? Lets see what he does this season.
It seems you fail to comprehend the difference between comparing a player's skill-set to another player and actually claiming he is at the same level. He meant he plays like Zidane, doesn't mean he is at the same level which nobody would dare to claim. Of course he feckin isn't, would be daft to even suggest that.

Kag

........wtf
He's a better player than Young, Nani and Valencia, yes. Nothing over the top about that statement. Mata, no. Obviously.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
........wtf
Coming from the guy who a month ago was claiming Gotze is the best player in the world and maybe eventually all time greatest.

In Rainbows

........wtf
Of course he's better than all of our wingers. He can dribble better than them, is better at passing, provides better set pieces, and so on. Mata is a number 10 and will play there so I'm not including him.

He still has 6 months until he's 20 years old, and about 3 months was the off season. What was he supposed to accomplish in the 3 months as a 19 year old? The fact that he did what he did at 18 years old under Moyes, the guy who made almost every player on the team have their worst seasons in their career is impressive. Take any young player right now and play them under Moyes and I fail to see how they have a better season under him than whoever was their coach this past season.

RuudTom83

........wtf
It is always good to offer a different opinion, I too think the hype has gotten out of control a little.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
........wtf
Yep. He is better than all our wingers.

And the "buzz" was made because he's actually that talented.

I personally don't see much difference between him and Ronaldo when he was a teenager. I'm talking about level and not style of course.

That doesn't mean he'll become as good. Ronaldo was a freak and I doubt a United player will match him for possibly decades.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is always good to offer a different opinion, I too think the hype has gotten out of control a little.
Who has been hyping him to "out of control" levels? Did you think the guy who made the Zidane comment was talking about the level of performances, or type of footballer?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yep. He is better than all our wingers.

And the "buzz" was made because he's actually that talented.

I personally don't see much difference between him and Ronaldo when he was a teenager. I'm talking about level and not style of course.

That doesn't mean he'll become as good. Ronaldo was a freak and I doubt a United player will match him for possibly decades.
We'll be lucky if we ever have a player better than Ronaldo, any team will.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
........wtf
The English media need new superstars as fast as they can get them. And so they made much more buzz about a "savior" kid then it deserved for his first season
(hell,after 10 games he got hyped up).
WTF ?

1st Bolded Part :

There are other places in the world where he's talked about like this. Gazetta dello Sport made their annual list of the best teenage talents in Europe and Januzaj came in at #1. Over Marquinhos and Deulofeu and Bakkali and Berardi. So it's not just United fans/ English media going over the top and hyping players. I understand it's a very hip argument but if you look at the last few years - many European connoisseurs of football didn't rate Bale or Modric and they're among the best in the world now. Hell a United reserve from 2 seasons ago is one of the if not the best midfield talent of his generation despite having the same questions asked of him. Also back in the day Ronaldo faced the same criticisms (not as good as Figo, one trick pony, overhyped by United fans). Look how that turned out.

2nd Bolded Part :

Who claimed him earning more matters ? Why make up absurd arguments ? No one claimed he's better because he's earning more.

3rd Bolded Part :

We are making projections of how he may turn out based on the data and eye-test we have till now. Is that not allowed ?

By the dame adage what was Zidane doing when he was Januzaj's age ? He's not 20. He's 19 and all we're going is speculation. No one is claiming he'll end up being exactly like Zidane but you look at players of his age group and he's right up there :

In 26 league appearances (12 as sub) Januzaj scored 4 and assisted 4 despite playing through our worst patches of form under a terrible manager who didn't know to fully utilize attacking talents, playing all over the midfield as a 10, 7, 11, in an attacking wide forward 3 and showed quality in each position, and also he was shunned from January to April by the manager that led to voided months.

In 25 league appearances (15 as a sub) Deulofeu scored 3 and assisted 3 despite playing for a much better manager (atleast in an attacking sense) and a club in much better form. This is probably the best U-21 attacking talent in Spain right now and Januzaj was superior to him in the same league. Januzaj created more chances per 90 minutes and made more key passes than Gerard too.

In 30 league appearances (9 as a sub) Meyer (compared by many to be a talent almost equal to anchan darling Gotze) scored 6 and assisted 3 in a weaker league and playing mostly though the centre where it's easier to get involved in the play.

These are his peers and Adnan is as good if not better despite the previous manager's poor tactics and the general negativity surrounding United. And it's not just statistics. If you look closely at United's matches from last season he was the best attacking outlet for large parts of the season, his decision making was extremely mature for a player his age and he made so many important passes leading up to goals.

ricky-romeo

it was a shame he didn't get much opportunity at the world cup.

we kind of forget what a special talent adnan is. most of the time when he was playing for us last season, he was regurlary one of our best performer. if there is a young player that could benefit from having LVG as the manager, i think adnan is the one.

it is easy to compare him to cristiano because of this united connection but i kind of agree there is more of a kaka in adnan than cristiano. cannot wait to see how he develops under van gaal.

RuudTom83

Who has been hyping him to "out of control" levels? Did you think the guy who made the Zidane comment was talking about the level of performances, or type of footballer?
The 'Zidane' comment was pretty obvious to follow so no worries.

But IMO the media and some fans went overboard with praise for Januzaj last season.

Simple!

Brightonian

The top tree wingers in the whole world? Man United? Top 3 young wingers? Januzaj one of the best at both things? He was really good as a winger but I dont think he was one of the best with doing things from a central position. Agree with you for the rest.
Top three young wingers, obviously.

Brightonian

........wtf
:houllier:

He got hyped after ten games because he ripped apart every defence put in front of him in those ten games, despite being an 18-year-old debutant in a struggling team, with world class players like Rooney and Van Persie struggling to have the sort of impact Januzaj did. Which also answers your point about him 'not having done anything'. He's done a good deal more than almost any other 19-year-old I can think of at a top club.

He's not on that much money, and what would that have to do with it anyway?

United fans rate him because United fans have watched him play. It's that simple. Obviously whoever posted the Zidane comment was talking (wrongly, for me) about his style of play, not his level of ability. Keep up.

Brightonian

The whole 'English fans and the English media hype people out of proportion' line is absurdly tired. Anyone with eyes in their head can see that Januzaj is one of the best players of his age in world football at the moment. Plenty of foreign pundits and media have rated him very highly.

Godfather

I have no clue where he is supposed to play in the 5-3-2 system. I guess as the second striker. He will have to improve immensively I fear if he is going to get a chance there.
If we switch back to 4-3-3 he can get easily in but with that new system things will get hard for him.

anchan1989

WTF ?

1st Bolded Part :

There are other places in the world where he's talked about like this. Gazetta dello Sport made their annual list of the best teenage talents in Europe and Januzaj came in at #1. Over Marquinhos and Deulofeu and Bakkali and Berardi. So it's not just United fans/ English media going over the top and hyping players. I understand it's a very hip argument but if you look at the last few years - many European connoisseurs of football didn't rate Bale or Modric and they're among the best in the world now. Hell a United reserve from 2 seasons ago is one of the if not the best midfield talent of his generation despite having the same questions asked of him. Also back in the day Ronaldo faced the same criticisms (not as good as Figo, one trick pony, overhyped by United fans). Look how that turned out.

He is a great talent, but didnt do enough to be Nr 1 there. They just went with the new hyped name.
Max Meyer played in the Cl with 17, had nearly a full great year under his belt and is 27? And a guy who played a bit here and there is Nr 1?
This list is just for show. Look, I dont hate him, I dont hate United. Its just too much in my eyes.

Coming from the guy who a month ago was claiming Gotze is the best player in the world and maybe eventually all time greatest.
:lol::lol::lol: I never ever said that he is the greatest. He could become the best ever, yes.
Is 22 for the next season and look at his career so far.
What he did with 18/19, that was and would be worth such a hype. But a great talent who got a bit game time here and there?
No.

Im out. Just dont put so much pressure on him. Its getting way overboard.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Gotze might be the most overrated and overhyped player of all time, although he's the German sweetheart at the moment so they won't allow you to say anything negative about him. Also, he's calling us out for Januzaj but it is nothing compared to what the Munich fans say about Mario, it's so cringy.

siw2007

In our 2012/2013 U21 league winning team Januzaj played a large chunk of the season up top, sort of as a false 9. Van Gaal might see this as a way of getting him in he team as well as a no. 10. Obviously there is a lot of competition for the striker positions.

anchan1989

Gotze might be the most overrated and overhyped player of all time, although he's the German sweetheart at the moment so they won't allow you to say anything negative about him. Also, he's calling us out for Januzaj but it is nothing compared to what the Munich fans say about Mario, it's so cringy.
Are you really comparing a guy who won 8! trophies(3 international ones, a world cup!!), was one of the leading players on the way to a CL final(most Cl assists that season of ANYONE) and the MVP of the eventually German champion for the second part of the season with 18! in one of the best leagues on the planet with one who had 1! season where he got a bit of game time?
I understand anyone who goes crazy about Mario. You should look at his scorer numbers, which are better then Messis age 18 to 20 and so on.
Oh no. Im out here. Its getting stupid.

In Rainbows

He is a great talent, but didnt do enough to be Nr 1 there. They just went with the new hyped name.
Max Meyer played in the Cl with 17, had nearly a full great year under his belt and is 27? And a guy who played a bit here and there is Nr 1?
This list is just for show. Look, I dont hate him, I dont hate United. Its just too much in my eyes.

:lol::lol::lol: I never ever said that he is the greatest. He could become the best ever, yes.
What he did with 18/19, that was and would be worth such a hype. But a great talent who got a bit game time here and there?
No.

Meyer got to play so much because he didn't have Mata and Rooney to compete against. Once Mata came to United, Januzaj's minutes died. I agree that the list's rankings aren't well put though. Sterling should be ranked #1.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

No.

Just curious. Have you watched him consistently over the past season where he outperformed many of his more experienced and seasoned players (with plenty of caps and trophies) who couldn't take games by the scruff of the neck like he did. He is one of the greatest talents in the EPL let alone the world and I am not over-hyping him up. We have seen plenty of youngsters over the years and he really is special. The very fact that he is unfazed and can take on the responsibility of being a key player for a big team shows his mentality. His technique and quality is in no doubt as well, he really will have a great future unless he experiences injury troubles or due to other circumstantial factors.

Smores

He's going to be sat on the bench a lot this season. Mata's backup or an option from the bench when we switch formation.
Bit of a shame really but not being overplayed may do the youngster good.

Trizy

Are you really comparing a guy who won 8! trophies(3 international ones, a world cup!!), was one of the leading players on the way to a CL final(most Cl assists that season of ANYONE) and the MVP of the eventually German champion for the second part of the season with 18! in one of the best leagues on the planet with one who had 1! season where he got a bit of game time?
I understand anyone who goes crazy about Mario. You should look at his scorer numbers, which are better then Messis age 18 to 20 and so on.
Your love for Gotze is apparent but take a chill pill, he's not comparing the two. Gotze had very good early years at Dortmund, bar his WC final goal he's been fairly shite for both Bayern and Germany this year, in fact had Reus not been injured he probably wouldn't have got a game.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Why is that relevant ? So Meyer played in the CL at 17 ? Is that some kind of grand achievement ? It's much much harder to break into United's squad (now just to be clear United isn't a mid-table team or a Top 4 team even). With Fergie our aim was always the #1 league spot so the competition for places was intense. That's why it takes longer for players to break into our starting XI or even get on the fringes compared to clubs like Schalke. It speaks volumes that he was on the bench at 18 for Fergie's last game. As I pointed out before, even Pogba (World Cup best young player winner, Golden boy winner, U-20 World Cup golden ball winner) made just 7 sub appearances before his 19th birthday. That definitely shows how tough it is to even start at United.

And you gotta help me out on the 27 and full great year part.. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Look at Adnan's matches closely and it becomes clear why he's so highly rated. The lists aren't just for show. They must've put some thought into into it...

anchan1989

Why is that relevant ? So Meyer played in the CL at 17 ? Is that some kind of grand achievement ? It's much much harder to break into United's squad (now just to be clear United isn't a mid-table team or a Top 4 team even). With Fergie our aim was always the #1 league spot so the competition for places was intense. That's why it takes longer for players to break into our starting XI or even get on the fringes compared to clubs like Schalke. It speaks volumes that he was on the bench at 18 for Fergie's last game. As I pointed out before, even Pogba (World Cup best young player winner, Golden boy winner, U-20 World Cup golden ball winner) made just 7 sub appearances before his 19th birthday. That definitely shows how tough it is to even start at United.

And you gotta help me out on the 27 and full great year part.. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Look at Adnan's matches closely and it becomes clear why he's so highly rated. The lists aren't just for show. They must've put some thought into into it...
Yeah. Crazy strong United team last season. Where did they finish?
And to Meyer; I assumed that the paper came out at the end of the 2013/14 season(if not Adnan place would be even crazier) and so Meyer, who was in his first full season, was nearly a full year in the top level. And I just saw your little ranking of their assists and goals.
Nice one. Meyer is much more then that. He builts up play on the 10.
He rocked the U17 euros with 16 in 2012, was crazy good in the youth leagues in West Germany. Those are the best of the country,which is praised for its youth work and so on. Meyer is also younger then Adnan.

Your love for Gotze is apparent but take a chill pill, he's not comparing the two. Gotze had very good early years at Dortmund, bar his WC final goal he's been fairly shite for both Bayern and Germany this year, in fact had Reus not been injured he probably wouldn't have got a game.
That is a nice myth. He has around the same scorers for Bayern as Neymar had for Barca. And with injury problems, Bayerns team depth and the fact that he had big pressure with 21 years 30 scorers are fine with me.
Played the 120 minutes in the German cup final against Dortmund.
And bad for Germany? Made scorers in the few games in the second part of 2013,then he scored 3 or 4 goals in the games before the WC, the winner against the great Chile side. Then he had a great group stage(Kicker, who are way to negative on German players gave him high marks).
He was very bad against Algeria, I agree. That cost him 2 games. But who cares. Everyone has a bad game, specially a 22 year old at a WC.
He won the final and everyone will remember that.

His last season was good overall. I take that in a new team, with injuries and a coach, who is a bit crazy sometimes.
But back to Adnan in this thread.

Last edited:

Trizy

And to Meyer; I assumed that the paper came out at the end of the 2013/14 season(if not Adnan place would be even crazier) and so Meyer, who was in his first full season, was nearly a full year in the top level.

That is a nice myth. He has around the same scorers for Bayern as Neymar had for Barca. And with injury problems, Bayerns team depth and the fact that he had big pressure with 21 years 30 scorers are fine with me.
Played the 120 minutes in the German cup final against Dortmund.
And bad for Germany? Made scorers in the few games in the second part of 2013,then he scored 3 or 4 goals in the games before the WC, the winner against the great Chile side. Then he had a great group stage(Kicker, who are way to negative on German players gave him high marks).
He was very bad against Algeria, I agree. That cost him 2 games. But who cares. Everyone has a bad game, specially a 22 year old at a WC.
He won the final and everyone will remember that.

His last season was good overall. I take that in a new team, with injuries and a coach, who is a bit crazy sometimes.
But back to Adnan in this thread.
Germany were always going to win the world cup, their squad was miles better than anyone's from every 11 spot to the bench and they would've won without Gotze, he only played 90 minutes once and was a sub for the rest. As for Bayern he was pretty much invisible against tough opposition in Europe and in the German league Bayern could've won it with 10 men, grant it I didn't watch one of their league games I'm not going to rate him in a league Bayern won several weeks before hand, Anderson could've came out of that team with similar stats.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not saying he's shite, he's clearly young and talented he's just no where near as good as some people make him out to be.

anchan1989

Germany were always going to win the world cup, their squad was miles better than anyone's from every 11 spot to the bench and they would've won without Gotze, he only played 90 minutes once and was a sub for the rest. As for Bayern he was pretty much invisible against tough opposition in Europe and in the German league Bayern could've won it with 10 men, grant it I didn't watch one of their league games I'm not going to rate him in a league Bayern won several weeks before hand, Anderson could've came out of that team with similar stats.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not saying he's shite, he's clearly young and talented he's just no where near as good as some people make him out to be.
Ok, Im finally out now. This post is as wrong, onesided and accidentally funny as a haters post can be.

Trizy

Ok, Im finally out now. This post is as wrong, onesided and accidentally funny as a haters post can be.
I don't hate him at all :lol: , he's probably the most likeable German & he's the first player I buy in Fifa ;)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This pretty much sums up exactly what I was talking about. Bless you.

In Rainbows

And to Meyer; I assumed that the paper came out at the end of the 2013/14 season(if not Adnan place would be even crazier) and so Meyer, who was in his first full season, was nearly a full year in the top level. And I just saw your little ranking of their assists and goals.
Nice one. Meyer is much more then that. He builts up play on the 10.
He rocked the U17 euros with 16 in 2012, was crazy good in the youth leagues in West Germany. Those are the best of the country,which is praised for its youth work and so on. Meyer is also younger then Adnan.
Who did Meyer compete against to play behind the striker at Schalke? Boateng? Certainly no one as good as Rooney or Mata? He would be benched at United or would have to play on the wing. Whether United came in 7th or not, United have a far superior attack to Schalke. Youth level? Are you suggesting Januzaj didn't dominate at youth level?

anchan1989

I don't hate him at all :lol: , he's probably the most likeable German & he's the first player I buy in Fifa ;)
Haha. Ok sorry mate. But your opinion are way too harsh imo. The league is great, he did fine and so on. But ok, everyone his (at least a bit realistic) pov.

Cantona'sCollar

Doubt he is better than Sterling, AOC, Jese, Chamberlain, Lucas, Iturbe, Son
He is better than Chamberlain despite being younger & less experienced.

Iturbe (2 years older than Januzaj) had a great season in Italy this year but was not under the spotlight that Adnan was - of course, one could argue it was harder for Iturbe as he was playing with inferior players. However, outside of this one good season, Iturbe has not impressed since he was playing in Argentina. They are fairly even, but i'd still say Januzaj is the bigger prospect. Debatable one, I think Iturbe may be a great player should he develop properly.

Lucas, who is 2 years older, still cannot justify a place in PSG's first choice team - a not-so-in-form Cavani will always start ahead of him in the right forward spot. A great prospect for sure, but they are very different players. Lucas is all about dribbling at speed, with great strength on the ball. Januzaj is much more creative & a little less direct. I think Januzaj will end up the better player, though. He has more natural talent, but that is just my opinion. Perhaps I am being harsh on Lucas as he isn't really being given much freedom at PSG - we can judge better next season.

Son, who is 3 years older & has been playing first team football for almost four years, is very good. More effective/productive than Januzaj right now, but I feel Januzaj has a higher ceiling.

Jese Rodriguez and Sterling are excellent players. Jese Rodriguez, at this current point in time, is a better player (in my opinion, many may disagree) - I can see him becoming a huge star. Sterling too - he has been extremely productive over the last year, with undeniable talent. I think these two (with Lucas) are on the same level as Januzaj, while AOC, Son & Iturbe a tier below.

Anything can change in the future, but if you really don't think he's up there with the very best of the young wingers and attacking midfielders (the single best is a different issue, but to be in that tier, I mean), then you haven't watched him enough.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He is better than Chamberlain despite being younger & less experienced.

Iturbe (2 years older than Januzaj) had a great season in Italy this year but was not under the spotlight that Adnan was - of course, one could argue it was harder for Iturbe as he was playing with inferior players. However, outside of this one good season, Iturbe has not impressed since he was playing in Argentina. They are fairly even, but i'd still say Januzaj is the bigger prospect. Debatable one, I think Iturbe may be a great player should he develop properly.

Lucas, who is 2 years older, still cannot justify a place in PSG's first choice team - a not-so-in-form Cavani will always start ahead of him in the right forward spot. A great prospect for sure, but they are very different players. Lucas is all about dribbling at speed, with great strength on the ball. Januzaj is much more creative & a little less direct. I think Januzaj will end up the better player, though. He has more natural talent, but that is just my opinion. Perhaps I am being harsh on Lucas as he isn't really being given much freedom at PSG - we can judge better next season.

Son, who is 3 years older & has been playing first team football for almost four years, is very good. More effective/productive than Januzaj right now, but I feel Januzaj has a higher ceiling.

Jese Rodriguez and Sterling are excellent players. Jese Rodriguez, at this current point in time, is a better player (in my opinion, many may disagree) - I can see him becoming a huge star. Sterling too - he has been extremely productive over the last year, with undeniable talent. I think these two (with Lucas) are on the same level as Januzaj, while AOC, Son & Iturbe a tier below.

Anything can change in the future, but if you really don't think he's up there with the very best of the young wingers and attacking midfielders (the single best is a different issue, but to be in that tier, I mean), then you haven't watched him enough.
I am not talking about ceiling, but how good they are now, the players I named above are atm better imo, but I think Sterling and Januzaj will be the 2 best eventually.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Well he keeps saying that SAF played a 4-3-3, so maybe he does mean 4-2-3-1, because SAF very rarely played a 4-3-3.
Perhaps that's why he think Rooney can play midfield, because for him he has been playing that in a 433.

If you play the 433 with two back in midfield it's pretty darned similar to a 4231.

DM DM
AM
ST____ST
ST

DM DM
ST AM ST
ST​

Brightonian

Doubt he is better than Sterling, AOC, Jese, Chamberlain, Lucas, Iturbe, Son
Of those, only Sterling is still a teenager, like Januzaj. The rest are already 20, 21, 22.

Also, by Son do you mean Son Min Heung at Leverkusen? I reckon Januzaj is already better, and besides he's not a winger. He's an AM/support striker. 22, anyway.

I am not talking about ceiling, but how good they are now, the players I named above are atm better imo, but I think Sterling and Januzaj will be the 2 best eventually.
So why start an argument in the first place if you basically agree? it's just nitpicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.