Adnan Januzaj Exit Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
People need to understand that the Januzaj of the Moyes year was just him on a crazy purple patch. The game is filled with stories like his, it really isn't that surprising.
Can't say I agree, he's the most talented technical player we've brought through in the youth since Pogba & Ravel.

In Rainbows

Then why did Dortmund want him gone if he was so good?

Memphis struggled his first season with us but in his career he has done more than Adnan has.
They didn't kick him out. As far as I remember, Januzaj rejected Belgium's u21 callup to concentrate on learning Dortmund's tactics as he didn't have a pre season with Dortmund. Belgium's u21 coach said something about Januzaj's attitude for that decision, when it was the right decision for his club career. Then United wanted to bring him back and Januzaj also agreed he would like to go back to United. Dortmund had the final say per agreement, and they granted Januzaj and United's wish.

Dortmund had Kagawa, Micky, and Castro. They were all doing well. Then Reus came back and Januzaj had competition even to come off the bench. I think Adnan failed to grasp exactly what Dortmund wanted out of its players. He was part to blame, and so was his lack of pre-season with Dortmund that put him behind everyone on the team.

snk123

We are going to regret this. He's obviously not going to turn into Paul Pogba special but he will be a very good player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We are going to regret this. He's obviously not going to turn into Paul Pogba special but he will be a very good player.
I seriously doubt it. You can't just have natural talent to be a very good player - you need a positive attitude and strong work ethic to match the talent. There are loads of immensely talented players who have not reached their potential due to head issues, hopefully Januzaj won't be one of them.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I don't know the fixation with Januzaj, after the debut season in which he played a handful of games spectacularly, he has faltered to deceive every time he was put on the pitch. He went to Dortmund, apparently against the wishes of coaching team and was sent back from Dortmund. His potential is obvious, but there is zero indication that he'll go on to realise his full potential. He's not exactly young too.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I don't know the fixation with Januzaj, after the debut season in which he played a handful of games spectacularly, he has faltered to deceive every time he was put on the pitch. He went to Dortmund, apparently against the wishes of coaching team and was sent back from Dortmund. His potential is obvious, but there is zero indication that he'll go on to realise his full potential. He's not exactly young too.
Mate, he's 21.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Van Gaal has already spoiled the talented Januzaj. Who knows he might have developed into a better player had he be given the chance to leave. Sadly, he preffered the likes of Young, Lingard and Depay to a promosing academy star.
Utter rubbish.

Januzaj did not merit the privilege of a first team place, in an era when young players were given plenty of opportunities by a manager renowned for preferring in house talent. LVG may have made several mistakes but his handling of young players and his youth policy I'm general was amaZing.

I think Januzaj has some work ethic issues or believes he is better than he actually is. SAF and Moyes rated his talent so that's not in question. But so.many talented young players fail to fulfill their potential and it's their own fault.

I don't really care if he stays or leaves. He's done nothing whatsoever to create any fan loyalty.... Much more excited about martial, depay, mihky and Lingard on our wings for.next season.

Dazzmondo

Daily Mail has been even less credible than usual this season so I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Still think a loan to Sunderland is the most likely result. Clearly he won't be involved with us this season since he wasn't involved against Galatasaray or Everton. I'd rather him be our backup on the lw ahead of Memphis personally but looks like Memphis will end up staying so a loan would be best in that case. Selling him would be crazy imo. Best youth talent we've had at the club since Pogba and Morrison. In terms of him not getting game time for Dortmund, would you really expect him to? They had some very good attacking options last season and when Reus came back he was never going to get game time. If we do decide to sell him I'd hope we'd insert a buy back clause like we did for Mats Moller Daehli. He's a player that could end up reaching a very high level (not quite Pogba standard imo but perhaps a level comparable to Mata which is still a very high standard). I'd expect him to improve significantly in the future if we did sell him. The talk of his attitude being poor and not deserving game time based on his few performances in the first team (obviously he's had a lot more than Pogba had) is eerily similar to the comments initially when Pogba left.

Last edited:

Giggs86

Never rated him. He had a promising spell under Moyes but since then he did nothing to impress. Not United quality IMO.

CS@SG

Daily Mail articles with NO quotes?

"My feeling was that he never was completely with us, that a part of him always stayed in Manchester and he compared everything here with United.
We were not able to help him to shake that off"

This is what tuchel said. How is that "bad attitude"? Again, the whole bad attitude thing is lazy journalism at its finest. LVG didn't pick him because Januzaj wasn't his type of player. He messed around with him too trying him out as a striker -- he just never let him play his natural game.

And it's not all down to him. Last season, Depay was being selected ahead of him. You're telling me "if he wants it enough he can be as good as he likes" when memphis depay in the form he was was getting selected ahead of him?

This season it will be tough. We have no signings and many options. As a Januzaj fan I would play him but it is understandable if Mourinho uses other options. Last season it was down to LVG.
How about ESPN?
http://www.espnfcasia.com/english-p...j-lacked-motivation-at-dortmund-thomas-tuchel
Or 442?
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/tuchel-part-januzaj-always-manchester
Or Skysports?
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-life-at-borussia-dortmund-says-thomas-tuchel
Or Telegraph?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...nan-Januzaj-blasted-by-Borussia-Dortmund.html

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Daily Mail articles with NO quotes?

"My feeling was that he never was completely with us, that a part of him always stayed in Manchester and he compared everything here with United.
We were not able to help him to shake that off"
That´s very convenient of you to use the less damning quote instead of what he also said about his in the very same press talk:

"It is a pity he did not show the desire and attitude you need to progress at his age,"

That is a translation of a direct quote and said quote is a brutal one, something you never want to hear about a talent. You can shout "lazy journalism" all you want, but it is not like the journalists had to work hard here, they just needed to write down a direct statement. A statement from someone with immense experience as youth coach and the reputation as one of the best talent developer of the country if not Europe.

I get the notion of defending one of your players, but there is really not much room for intepretation here. In difference to most things in football, this case is cut and dry.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
If you can't displace one foot valencia, bird shite young and bloggy immobile mata, you probably deserve to go as well. Good riddance.

P/s i almost made my username after him. What a bullet i dodged there :p

Oaencha

There's a TON of evidence!!!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/adnan-januzajs-manchester-united-future-7547190

Also google Januzaj annoying van Gaal for trying to score from a corner in an U-21 game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ims-Borussia-Dortmund-boss-Thomas-Tuchel.html

Two managers annoyed by his attitude. And then there's for Belgium!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/manchester...itude-by-belgium-u-21-boss-enzo-scifo-1528235

The guys just an EXTREMELY talented kid but he's at a crossroads. If he wants it enough he can be as good as he likes, if he models himself on someone like Figo as a player - because Januzaj is not very quick, and will never be quick if he's not now so he has to offer something else in a football match.

But three managers at least have thought he has a poor attitude and that's extremely worrying.
I agree he is talented and there is obviously a reason why managers aren't happy with him. However quoting the Mirror and Daily Mail as evidence he has an attitude problem is ridiculous; they are both trash of the highest order.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Yes, exactly. He's not 16 or 17.
No white text?
Who played well reguarly for a top club at 16/17? Messi?? and... Fabregas? anyone else? :confused:
An under-21 team is considered a youth team, you know?
Who were Kante or Mahrez at 21? a couple nobodies in the french second tier, yet a few years later both were top, top PL players.

Sorry Januzaj, you're 21, far too old to be good now, careers over mate.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
KdB was deemed surplus to requirements around the age Janujaz is now, and also had questions about his mentality. Now he's one of the best players in the league.
He was shipped off to Bundesliga on loan after joining Chelsea immediately and when he returned to Chelsea, he was injured early. I seem to remember Mourinho telling him he's not in plans and he moved to Wolfsburg. I have not heard about mentality questions, but he pretty much proved himself season after season at Genk, Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg. Hardly a comparison to Januzaj.

No white text?
Who played well reguarly for a top club at 16/17? Messi?? and... Fabregas? anyone else? :confused:
An under-21 team is considered a youth team, you know?
Who were Kante or Mahrez at 21? a couple nobodies in the french second tier, yet a few years later both were top, top PL players.

Sorry Januzaj, you're 21, far too old to be good now, careers over mate.
There is no white text because nobody is expecting him to perform like Messi or Fabregas did. What has Kante and Mahrez got to do with Januzaj at 21? He's not currently playing for Aston Villa at 21. After the breakout season with Moyes, remind me of any one performance that Januzaj has justified his place? We've played two seasons with LvG, and the move to Dortmund was disastrous with the Dortmund coach clearly pointing out his attitude issues.

He is 21 and we expect him to play like a 21 year old. Nobody is saying his career is over, the guy has a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown it here for 2 seasons now and maybe it's best for everyone to move on. He can get his career back on track at a club where he's appreciated and he can play without pressure.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He was shipped off to Bundesliga on loan after joining Chelsea immediately and when he returned to Chelsea, he was injured early. I seem to remember Mourinho telling him he's not in plans and he moved to Wolfsburg. I have not heard about mentality questions, but he pretty much proved himself season after season at Genk, Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg. Hardly a comparison to Januzaj.
He was rumored to be a bit soft, and did not show up when he wasn't in his preferred position. He matured, came back to the league at a rather high price, and is growing into being one of the best players in the world.

I guess I'm just worried about a Pogba repeat...

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
There is no white text because nobody is expecting him to perform like Messi or Fabregas did. What has Kante and Mahrez got to do with Januzaj at 21? He's not currently playing for Aston Villa at 21. After the breakout season with Moyes, remind me of any one performance that Januzaj has justified his place? We've played two seasons with LvG, and the move to Dortmund was disastrous with the Dortmund coach clearly pointing out his attitude issues.

He is 21 and we expect him to play like a 21 year old. Nobody is saying his career is over, the guy has a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown it here for 2 seasons now and maybe it's best for everyone to move on. He can get his career back on track at a club where he's appreciated and he can play without pressure.
I mention players like Mahrez, playing in the french 2nd tier at 21 as it shows progression and age isn't some linear line to conclude potential by. Someone like Ian Wright wasn't even in league football in his early 20's yet by his late twenties/early 30's had become Arsenals record goalscorer.

Januzaj was the most talented player in our youth for a good while before breaking through under Moyes, since then, he worked under a single manager in LvG who clearly didn't fancy his style in an ultra risk-adverse system, and so went on loan to Dortmund, having to compete for a place alongside players like Reus and Micky and co. in their prime.. well lets be honest, they had a much better team than us last year so no shame in not being able to get into their side.

I'm not going to say Januzaj will become a star, he's got to knuckle down and want it enough first, but the fact remains he is a very talented young player, one of the best academy youngsters we'll have let go.

Last edited:

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I think Januzaj is a very talented player. If he can play for the right manager in a good club for him, he will come good.

We will end up regretting selling him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I agree he is talented and there is obviously a reason why managers aren't happy with him. However quoting the Mirror and Daily Mail as evidence he has an attitude problem is ridiculous; they are both trash of the highest order.
Not wishing to have a go here because it's trivial and unlikely to change your view point but to dismiss the articles because of who they are published by is pure denial mate.

Yes, there is a link from the Daily Mail there but if you took 10 seconds to look past your agenda then you will see it is referencing direct quotes from Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel. The same quotes could have been found from any source. To exclude this version just because the narrative around the quotes in this instance is by a Daily Mail journalist is the truly ridiculous moment here. Sky Sports, Independent, Four Four Two, Football 365 etc all reported the same quotes from a quick Google search of "Tuchel Januzaj".

CS@SG

Adnan's problem is not his talent, his skills, but his mind.

Maybe, it will be better for him to be the big fish in a small pond.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He needs regular football. He will never get that under mourinho.

He may turn out very well in a few years, but that won't be something you'd be in a position to regret as he simply won't do that if he stays.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

He may turn out very well in a few years, but that won't be something you'd be in a position to regret as he simply won't do that if he stays.
He also needs to improve his attitude. When two different managers in a year or so exile or send you back due to attitude issues, then it's an huge problem. It's a shame as he's extremely talented. If we sell him, hopefully it's with a sell on or a buyback clause.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

I agree. Needs a season playing on a team with lower expectations than us, under a manager who trusts young players. Wish he had picked a lower table team for his loan last season. A loan to a team that took him as a back-up for their starters was never the right choice.

With still two years left on his contract, I hope we don't sell him and only loan him out. I still believe he has the talent to make it here.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Best for the kid if he moves on imo needs as much games as possible. Put a buy back clause in with first refusal but to be honest can't see it.

Oaencha

but to dismiss the articles because of who they are published by is pure denial mate.
There's no denial as I agreed that he's a talented manager who hasn't progressed under 3 different managers. My point is that the majority of what we read from the media is misinformed or click bait. Your ton of evidence of his supposed attitude problem is not actually evidence at all. Tuchel aside, they are all rumours from hasbeen writers who have as little knowledge about his situation as us.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
If he won't agree to a loan, we should at least include a buyback option a la RM with Morata.

sugar_kane

It wasn't long ago this lad was being compared on this forum to Ronaldo and Best.

Myself, I think he's still largely unproven but that we should stick with him. He could easily displace Depay or Lingard as a deputy winger.

I'm sure he's not the first talented youth player to think he has a right to god-given football. Attitude is massively important but, like talent, will only get you so far. I don't think we should put so much importance on it. I think Mourinho is the right man to mature his thinking and I'm surprised neither of them want to take on the challenge given Mourinho's positive comments on him a couple of years ago.

Celestiale

Sounds like a man bitter that PL teams can afford to do so. ;)

Wasn't aware that KDB went back to Chelsea, either.
Bitter? That part you have to explain.
Not back to Chelsea, but back to PL for a lot of money after he was more or less gifted away.

CG1010

It wasn't long ago this lad was being compared on this forum to Ronaldo and Best.

Myself, I think he's still largely unproven but that we should stick with him. He could easily displace Depay or Lingard as a deputy winger.

I'm sure he's not the first talented youth player to think he has a right to god-given football. Attitude is massively important but, like talent, will only get you so far. I don't think we should put so much importance on it. I think Mourinho is the right man to mature his thinking and I'm surprised neither of them want to take on the challenge given Mourinho's positive comments on him a couple of years ago.
He's shown even less than Depay in the last two seasons (for both United and Dortumund put together), so don't know why you think he could "easily displace" him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I won't be surprised if he leaves. Aside from a few games in his breakthrough season he hasn't shown enough and he's hardly progressed during the last two years, which culminated in him not even getting a look while on loan at Dortmund. He's not a bad player but might not have the potential to become full time United star.

sugar_kane

He's shown even less than Depay in the last two seasons (for both United and Dortumund put together), so don't know why you think he could "easily displace" him.
He's barely played for us in the last two seasons, Depay has consistently demonstrated his averageness.

Status
Not open for further replies.