Adnan Januzaj | Sunderland Loan Watch

Most of the team have been shite during the past 3 years. Van Gaal didn't fancy him and sent him out on loan. He barely got a chance at Dortmund and was unable to build any momentum. He was never going to make an impact for an incredibly poor, Moyes managed Sunderland this season.
Van Gaal didn't fancy him because he didn't show he was good enough, in training or during his limited game time, same at Dortmund. Obviously, otherwise they would've played him!

And absolutely tonnes of players have impressed for relegation fodder throughout the years @Oaencha, like Defoe or our very own Pereira this season for example. That's the mark of a top player, to shine no matter who you play with.

Carrick, Keane, Di Canio, Kinkladze are other that spring to mind. Roy Keane actually got relegated, finished rock bottom, and was named in the PFA team of the year (at the same age as Adnan), legend!

Last edited:

Oaencha

Bullshit excuse after bullshit excuse. It's boring and you're in denial.
Yes, obviously that must be it. My life is so meaningless that I spend my days worrying about the career of an overpaid footballer.

Get a grip, it was an opinion. If you don't agree with it then fine but it doesn't make it wrong.

Oaencha

Van Gaal didn't fancy him because he didn't show he was good enough, in training or during his limited game time, same at Dortmund. Obviously, otherwise they would've played him!

And absolutely tonnes of players have impressed for relegation fodder throughout the years @Oaencha, like Defoe or our very own Pereira this season for example. That's the mark of a top player, to shine no matter who you play with.

Carrick, Keane, Di Canio, Kinkladze are other that spring to mind.
I agree with everything you say but my original point was that I believe he still has the potential to be an excellent player. There's no hiding the fact he hasn't been good enough but I would still like to see how he plays under Jose.

I agree with everything you say but my original point was that I believe he still has the potential to be an excellent player. There's no hiding the fact he hasn't been good enough but I would still like to see how he plays under Jose.
Ask yourself this, if Adnan wasn't an academy product, say he was just a Sunderland player.... how would you see the idea of him getting games for United next season.

It's mental. He has done nothing in 3 years to deserve it and a top player (Roy Keane, PFA team of the Year and relegated rock bottom) shines for Sunderland this season, like Defoe... of course!

Runner

He had a his chances for Sunderland. In 1560 minutes he's managed 3 assists, 4 yellows and a red card. That simply isn't good enough for someone aspiring to play for Utd. It isn't even good enough for Sunderland.

Ji_Maria

Most of the team have been shite during the past 3 years. Van Gaal didn't fancy him and sent him out on loan. He barely got a chance at Dortmund and was unable to build any momentum. He was never going to make an impact for an incredibly poor, Moyes managed Sunderland this season.

My head needs checking does it Doctor? I could do with meds for a long list of reasons but my view on Januzaj is perfectly reasonable.
No, Janujaz has literally been shite, worst player on our team by some margin except for a period of a few months in his first season.

Mata, Herrera, Smalling, Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Carrick, etc. etc. have all been good at times. Janujaz has sucked every game except for a handful his first season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think he'll be given the chance. Probably will be sold on this summer.

Ji_Maria

I think you need to sort out that chip on your shoulder.
Sounds like you're the one with the chip that your dreamchild ended up as a colossal failure in 2 leagues and 4 teams and even his national team coach thinks he has a crap attitude.

He had a his chances for Sunderland. In 1560 minutes he's managed 3 assists, 4 yellows and a red card. That simply isn't good enough for someone aspiring to play for Utd. It isn't even good enough for Sunderland.
That sadly is the problem.

If he wasn't a United graduate that got massively overhyped (by myself too) during his first few months, not a single sane person would think anything other than that he has been a shit player for a shit side, kinda like Sebastian Larsson.

Pearson

He could have been a good player for us, maybe, only under Sir Alex.

I do not think winger is a proper position for him. Given his not impressive pace and movement off the ball, playing behind a central striker is his ideal position, IMP because of his passing skills and impressive ability to maintain the ball.

buckooo1978

I wonder how much we would get for him in the Summer?

8-10 million abroad

15-20 in England I'd guess

Ferguson

Look Januzaj was a glimmer of hope during the darkest period under Moyes. We praised his potential because we needed him to succeed.

Even in his best period he needed to put on strength and toughen up. He isn't slow, but he isn't the fastest either.

There is a way to deal with a player like him, and defenders have figured it out. In his first season, defenders were surprised by his abilities, but the trick comes in your second season when they have studied you and learned what to try to take away from you and what your weaknesses are.

Januzaj hasn't been able to impose himself on defenders like he could when he was younger, and therein lies the problem.

He may figure out what he needs to do to impose himself on matches in due time, but I don't think it will be at United. He won't have enough to force his way into a number ten role, and Mourinho is looking for wingers who bring some pace, physicality and defending to the party. Mata has to put in a shift for Mourinho, and he has much more to offer than Januzaj to justify his inclusion in the side. At least under LVG, the wide players could stick to attacking, since the midfielders and defenders had to practice positional discipline. But in Mourinho's scheme, the wingers have to track back more, to allow others to get forward, which I believe will spell difficulty for a player like Januzaj.

AXVnee7

I don't think he has the right attitude to succeed which is a shame, and that's going by the comments and indications of managers such as Tuchel (I know we have a lot of psychologists/body-language experts here on the Caf). I also think the loan moves have been a complete waste of time. Both Dortmund and Sunderland have ended up being poor environments for him to develop in. At Dortmund he was simply not in the class of the others, even the youngsters. This season a side threatened by relegation for a good part of the season is no environment to develop a young player in.

As for what's next? Well it's difficult but for his potential perhaps we should offer him another chance, albeit final this time. I have no idea where he goes on loan or maybe if he comes back for us, but I guess that's the decision that Jose will make. If he fails to impress an English side will be more than happy to gamble on him.

mu4c_20le

Sounds like you're the one with the chip that your dreamchild ended up as a colossal failure in 2 leagues and 4 teams and even his national team coach thinks he has a crap attitude.
We all want the same thing; whats best for the club. I'm sure you are feeling vindicated now but at the end of the day, I think it's pointless to take things personal as it's out of our hands anyways.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He has the best technique out of any academy player I've seen. Good vision too. Just too weak and some attitude issues and horrible loan choices.

No idea what's next for him

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think he could/would have been a good player for us if he had a Sir Alex giving him a kick up the backside every 5mins from the first minute of the week to the last.
He's going to be sold now, no question, after 3 years of stagnation, its hard to argue otherwise.
It's a real shame as well because his technical ability coming through the youth was top notch.

without doing much at all

Januzaj IMO showed more promise in that first season under Moyes than Ibe has ever shown in the Premier League
No-one buys a player based on something they did 3 YEARS ago. Especially considering that season was only as productive as Jordan Ibe's final season for Liverpool.*

And... especially when they can look at the previous Premier League season @buckooo1978

* Jordon Ibe 2015-16
Apps: 41
Goals: 4
Final league position: 8th

* Adnan 2013-14
Apps: 35
Goals: 4
Final league position: 7th.

(assists were the same too).

Last edited:

El Jefe

He's shite and has been this way since pretty much the second half of his breakthrough season.

How can some still want him here next season. We should do our best to try and fleece a team for £15m like Pool did with Ibe.

Ji_Maria

Look Januzaj was a glimmer of hope during the darkest period under Moyes. We praised his potential because we needed him to succeed.
This is the problem. For YOU maybe he was a glimmer of hope, but for many of us, he was just another player. We didn't need him to succeed. I mean just read what you wrote, you speak as if he was the Messiah. He was just a talented kid coming from the academy showing promise, nothing more.

Ji_Maria

We all want the same thing; whats best for the club. I'm sure you are feeling vindicated now but at the end of the day, I think it's pointless to take things personal as it's out of our hands anyways.
Please do chime up next time you see the caf piling on someone criticizing the next Januzaj.

And no, it's not about vindication. It's amazement at how many posters here still think Januzaj has a future at this club, or that his failure is anyone's fault but his.

This is the problem. For YOU maybe he was a glimmer of hope, but for many of us, he was just another player. We didn't need him to succeed. I mean just read what you wrote, you speak as if he was the Messiah. He was just a talented kid coming from the academy showing promise, nothing more.
I think you're being a bit of an ass here. @Ferguson's post was bang on, that season was such a clusterfeck that lots of us needed something to cling to, I know I did, and for a few months this academy product was exactly that.

The weird thing is how he somehow still lives off that 3 years later with some fans.

Mark Pawelek

Jordan Ibe fetched 15 last summer and that was before the big cash really kicked in
He's shite and has been this way since pretty much the second half of his breakthrough season.

How can some still want him here next season. We should do our best to try and fleece a team for £15m like Pool did with Ibe.
You think he's shite but someone will pay £15m for him!#%? His contract is up in 2018 and there are no 1 year extensions. His family (same as his agents) were angling for a transfer last summer. He's going for something closer to £5m, at best, this summer.

AndyJ1985

Sunderland officially relegated, and Januzaj has been a nothing player even for them. Good luck to him wherever he ends up next season.

Bojan11

He still takes shit set pieces that have no power or accuracy to them.

El Jefe

You think he's shite but someone will pay £15m for him!#%? His contract is up in 2018 and there are no 1 year extensions. His family (same as his agents) were angling for a transfer last summer. He's going for something closer to £5m, at best, this summer.
I did say "try and fleece a team for 15m" tbf.

Obviously with the year he's had at Sunderland it will be a hard task but this is the PL where average players go for big money.

Oaencha

Ask yourself this, if Adnan wasn't an academy product, say he was just a Sunderland player.... how would you see the idea of him getting games for United next season.

It's mental. He has done nothing in 3 years to deserve it and a top player (Roy Keane, PFA team of the Year and relegated rock bottom) shines for Sunderland this season, like Defoe... of course!
I think the chances would be very slim and even as a Utd player the chances are slim. He had a good season under Moyes at Utd, a few decent games under LVG and has at times looked decent this season. I honestly don't think it's going to happen but I wouldn't be against it. I still think there's a good player in there somewhere and so does Jose or he would have just sold him instead of another loan.

Oaencha

No, Janujaz has literally been shite, worst player on our team by some margin except for a period of a few months in his first season.

Mata, Herrera, Smalling, Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Carrick, etc. etc. have all been good at times. Janujaz has sucked every game except for a handful his first season.
I have given everyone else a serious reply but if you're going to come out with nonsense like that then I will leave you to it.