Adrien Rabiot / completing formalities at Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

We should definitely be considering him but didn't the problems start at PSG because he was being played out of position at DM?
No not out of position really, but supposedly he didn't like playing there, even though he was better according to regular PSG watchers on here. But if true that most of big clubs have turned him down, he doesn't really have much choice, and that's why I said if we can do a deal on our terms, meaning we give him a reasonable salary, and we play him where the team needs him the most. It's my opinion only of course.

sherrinford

I got the point which is valid mate, my point is that we have to be smart in building the squad, like Juve and Bayern have been so many times in the past. A player of Rabiot’s ability should not get overlooked in the state we are, even if he is not ideal, current player can adapt according to the needs of the team.

Also I was more thinking of him playing as DMF, that’s why I wrote on our terms along with a reasonable wage.
It is a point I have also made here previously - given the circumstances he has to be considered, yes. Ideally, signing a midfielder on a free would have meant United could concentrate on other areas with the transfer budget (trying to be realistic with a (probably)Matic-Pogba-New Signing midfield). Unfortunately Rabiot doesn’t allow that for me.

When I’ve seen him he has played to the right, ahead of a holding player. By all accounts he was actually better as the anchor but didn’t like playing there, which is a bit strange and awkward really.

Kostov

It is a point I have also made here previously - given the circumstances he has to be considered, yes. Ideally, signing a midfielder on a free would have meant United could concentrate on other areas with the transfer budget (trying to be realistic with a (probably)Matic-Pogba-New Signing midfield). Unfortunately Rabiot doesn’t allow that for me.

When I’ve seen him he has played to the right, ahead of a holding player. By all accounts he was actually better as the anchor but didn’t like playing there, which is a bit strange and awkward really.
I'm actually going from the fact that we need to replace both Matic and Herrera actually, that's why I think we need to make a smart deal if possible with Rabiot and still go for another CM. I think it can be done, but not much faith in Woodward really. I've mostly seen him play further up the field also, but as I said, reliable posters on here, which opinion I respect very much, described him as even better as DMF, which adds flexibility, and it increases my opinion on him as a player. To add to that, I think he is easily a better CM than Herrera wherever we play him.

luke511

Pogba Rabiot
Longstaff

:devil:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Seems Arsenal could get him if they win today

MetoTTT

I think he wanted play as a 8 to be a starter for France NT along Pogba. He has no chance starting for France as a 6 with Kanté in the team.

I'm actually going from the fact that we need to replace both Matic and Herrera actually, that's why I think we need to make a smart deal if possible with Rabiot and still go for another CM. I think it can be done, but not much faith in Woodward really. I've mostly seen him play further up the field also, but as I said, reliable posters on here, which opinion I respect very much, described him as even better as DMF, which adds flexibility, and it increases my opinion on him as a player. To add to that, I think he is easily a better CM than Herrera wherever we play him.
I agree. You're spot on.
Most worrying thing is he didn't play regularly this season largely because they failed to extend his contract.
Under the right manager he could develop and be a very good player. He has to change his attitude.

sherrinford

Fair enough - we would certainly need an accompanying midfield acquisition for him to be a good signing, with him coming in dictating the kind of player we go for in the third slot. I think the suitability of the other signing would determine whether he is a better central midfielder for us than Herrera. For example:

Pogba Rabiot
Longstaff

:devil:
Assuming Longstaff is like Carrick, that screams imbalance to me. Just as Pogba-Matic-Herrera is a stronger trio than Pogba-Matic-Rabiot in my opinion, despite the fact that Rabiot is far silkier.

Rice, Ndidi, Doucoure, Kante, Essien, Ramires, Makelele, Keane, Hargreaves, Fletcher, Vieira, Davids, Matuidi... we would need a player of this ilk. Grit, energy and athleticism, holding midfielder or otherwise.

I think he wanted play as a 8 to be a starter for France NT along Pogba. He has no chance starting for France as a 6 with Kanté in the team.
That would be more bizarre - Domenech would have his opinion on Rabiot’s position anyway, and surely the best way to get yourself in would be to justify your inclusion with your performances. It wouldn’t be in his best interest to be deployed in a role in which he is weaker.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
@sherrinford Matic is a passenger in midfield. He offers nothing with his playmaking and ball watching when defending.

He’s part of deadwood that we should move on with one year left in his contract. Whether we play Thiago or Rabiot next to him; the result will be the same, it’ll be shambolic midfield with Matic. Put Kante or Gueye who can cover his ball watching action might turn out to be slightly different story but doesn’t make it much helpful to have 10 men on the field.

Ole will be in trouble at the start of season if he doesn’t consider to move on from Matic.

Pogba Longstaff Rabiot looks promising (as long as Longstaff turns up to be like Carrick)

Icemav

@sherrinford Matic is a passenger in midfield. He offers nothing with his playmaking and ball watching when defending.

He’s part of deadwood that we should move on with one year left in his contract. Whether we play Thiago or Rabiot next to him; the result will be the same, it’ll be shambolic midfield with Matic. Put Kante or Gueye who can cover his ball watching action might turn out to be slightly different story but doesn’t make it much helpful to have 10 men on the field.

Ole will be in trouble at the start of season if he doesn’t consider to move on from Matic.
Dude he is not that bad! Sometimes excellent, sometimes shagged from being overplayed.

Icemav

Not in my view. Last season he was shambolic.
True lost his legs. But 2017/2018 he was a good upgrade on Hererra until he hit a wall (Chelsea fans warned us of this). Personally from the moment ww signed he I was talking of finding an understudy/replacement due to age and stamina issues.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Would love him, absolute baller. Press resistant, fast, agile, strong, ball carrier, passing ability.

Marcus

If we sign him on a free on a huge contract, won't we be faced with a Sanchez situation where all the players want to up their own contracts as well?

Gasolin

I don’t know what to think of this guy. He seems ok but his attitude, and not just with a joke club as psg but also with the national team, refusing to be in the waiting list because he deserves better according to him...

It worries me. He better be exceptional and run like a mad dog for the team or be dropped. And paid on performance a bit like Owen.

Gasolin

Didn't we do pretty well with the last Frenchman with a bad attitude that we had? Maybe...Ooh Ooooo... Rabioooooot.
Haha I think both are of a different class. Cantona issue was more about the way he sees football, and pride, Rabiot seems to be into a form of arrogance that wouldn’t work very well if you have not won a World Cup or something.

SaboTaj

He’s an all-round CM, at the right age, comfortable on the ball and with undoubted technical ability. The only thing I’ll question is his willingness to put in a shift week in and week out, and even then I’d call this a no-brainer signing.

Still remember his performance alongside Verrati in that first leg against Barcelona; one of the finest midfield performances I’ve seen in recent times.

sherrinford

Pogba Longstaff Rabiot looks promising (as long as Longstaff turns up to be like Carrick)
Bit of a strange post since replacing Matic and needing a supplementary signing on top of Rabiot is what was being discussed.

You also basically reiterate my point - a Kante or Gueye is a more suitable complement for Matic than a Thiago or Rabiot. Removing Matic from the conversation and placing two of the other mentioned players in a lineup, the most appropriate pairing would be one of Kante/ Gueye with one of Thiago/ Rabiot.

Pogba-Longstaff-Rabiot might look promising if Longstaff in fact turns out to be quite different from Carrick. Benitez emphasised the difference in mobility and stamina, which could be the difference in whether or not that would be an acceptable midfield three.

manunited1919

He has a point to prove and would relish the opportunity to play with Pogba. He is class and would make an immediate impact on our team.

Ballist1x

This is why being a fan is so frustrating.

We break the bank to sign old players (Sanchez - wage structure) and buy players like Matic for £30m.

Yet here's a player who's already good. Coming into his prime years. And we probably aren't even in for him.

I just cant understand the mentality

Cliche Guevara

If we sign him on a free on a huge contract, won't we be faced with a Sanchez situation where all the players want to up their own contracts as well?
Did this ever happen?

Even Pogba is still on the same money a year and a half later.

People do realise the club can tell players they aren’t getting more money, and most clubs have a wage structure where some get paid much more than many others. It’s completely normal and always has been.

deafepl

Worth to note that Rabiot is very good defensively, I think he is much better as holding midfielder than ball winners. Matic is holding midfielder and could be replaced by Rabiot, we need Modric/B Silva type on the right flank to uprgade Herrera.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Worth to note that Rabiot is very good defensively, I think he is much better as holding midfielder than ball winners. Matic is holding midfielder and could be replaced by Rabiot, we need Modric/B Silva type on the right flank to uprgade Herrera.
I agree Rabiot would make a fine upgrade on Matic easily. And that he's about as good as it gets for the holding midfielder position. Press resistant, skillful & technical, confident at holding the ball, good decision making, tall & good in the air, precise short passing, good shielding & dribbling, enough interceptions & tackles.

The only reason I have him as the 2nd best choice for a Matic replacement (behind Brozovic), is because I'm not sure Rabiot runs enough nor has the ability to make precise long passes. Might be a bit of a ball hog too. Also, does he want to play as a holding midfielder or does he prefer to be box-to-box? This could mean he's caught out of position a lot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’d be ideal but I’m concerned Spurs will get him if they win on Saturday. They tried in January and he said they were beneath him, but the European Champions? Not sure he could take such a stance.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He doesn't want to play as a DM. He likes to play an attacking role.

manunited1919

He’d be ideal but I’m concerned Spurs will get him if they win on Saturday. They tried in January and he said they were beneath him, but the European Champions? Not sure he could take such a stance.
Spurs can’t compete with us financially, if they were to win it would tear their whole wage structure apart.

manunited1919

The solution is to give him a sign-on fee and a moderate salary, if there were concerns about that. They would probably offer him a high wage packet and a sign-on fee paid yearly over the 5 year contract.

Patrick08

Given our midfield situation it makes perfect sense to bring him in. If others can't match his wage he will have to lower his demands and we can get him. In future if he becomes too trouble some selling him is an option too. We seriously need depth and quality in our team specially in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.