g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Alejandro Garnacho image 17

Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Greenwood under ten Hag would perform better than under Ole. That's just what I think. So that Greenwood stats and decision making under Ole would have look much better under ten Hag imo. Either way, I am just happy that we have Garnacho.
They are quite different, and Greenwood was always tuted to be a striker. Garnacho seems more like a dedicated winger/wide attacker. Garnacho is also quite a bit quicker than Greenwood and overall a better close control dribbler, to my eyes. Early days to tell who is the better finisher, but that was one of Greenwood's great attributes and his two-footedness.

OverratedOpinion

Exciting young attackers breaking into the first team is probably one of the purest joys possible in football. Wherever it goes from here it is just always so great in these moments.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really impressive impact from the bench twice in one week. You've always got to be a bit cautious with young players but I think the fact that he will likely be competing with Rashford for the spot on the left might actually help him in some ways.

We've had players like Januzaj in the past who were probably thrust in a bit too much, too soon. That kind of pressure on a younger player isn't always a good thing, especially when people look to them as one of the main players to deliver. I think ten Hag will continue to manage Garnacho's minutes carefully but the signs look really promising.
Yep keeping him hungry with a few starts but mainly impact from the bench is the best way to manage him right now.

His electric pace and work rate really helps against tired defences. He pretty much turned the game alone when he came on.

MUFC OK

Can anyone tell me why that wasn't a penalty on him within a few mins of him coming on? Was completely dismissed by Neville and all other pundits. No idea why.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’m just going to say what we’re all thinking: Sergio Aguero was definitely knocking off Garnacho’s mum 19 years ago.

Adam-Utd

I’m just going to say what we’re all thinking: Sergio Aguero was definitely knocking off Garnacho’s mum 19 years ago.
His low centre of gravity, acceleration and finishing is actually very Aguero like too.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yesterday's goal was more about the defender sleeping on the job though. Not trying to take anything off his goal but he just breezed past the defender like it was a lamp post.

Thom Merrilin

if Rashford had Masons finishing ability he would have double the goals he already has for us.

Mason is an idiot, but he is also the best thing to come out of our academy (football wise) in years.
Rashford is a more effective player though. The eye test can fail and I think that might be the case here. These are their Premier League stats.

Greenwood: 26 goal contributions from 83 games (4529mins) = 0.31/game and 0.51/90 mins played

Rashford: 105 goal contributions from 218 games (14629mins) = 0.48/game and 0.64/90 mins played.

Ole'sattheWheel

What strange reworking of history is this? Both David Beckham and Ruud van Nistelrooy was flaunted and sold on Fergie’s demand because a) their form had dipped and b) he thought they where detrimental to the team. We almost hot Ronaldinho as Becks replacement, instead it was Ronaldo, and Van Nistelrooy was sold to make way for a set up of attack that would suit Ronaldo and Rooney better. It was Fergie’s wish, so yes, they were surplus to his requirements, regardless if they still played at a very level afterwards, if never quite so well as they did at their Utd peak.

De Gea was frustrated with his training set up and communication with Van Gaal, and so wanted out. In the context of the silly ‘players always leave is for Madrid’-trope, he is a player who didn’t leave us for Madrid and has stayed a Utd player for ten years.
Yeah ok I see your point. I do wonder where the trope comes from then, I don’t think it’s just the Ronaldo transfer.
Perhaps losing out to Barca and Madrid for top tier players over the years adds to the notion aswell?
Ones I can think of off the top of my head are Modrić, Bale, Benzema, Varane, Ozil all opting for Madrid over the years instead of us (or so the rumours go). More recent examples of it being a no brainier for wonder kids like Touchemeni and Camavinga choosing to go there instead of here.
It does feel as a United fan if that there was ever a choice between us and Madrid over the years, we would lose out.
I also seem to remember Darren Fletcher on Monday night football saying Fergie was good at sweetening up the European players at United as there was always the potential for them to have their heads turned by Madrid/Barca etc. But didn’t have to mollycoddle top tier British players like himself, Rooney, Ferdinand etc as he knew the British players would have dreamed to play for United and see that as the pinnacle of club football, instead of looking to move abroad.
But I do concede your point that players don’t ‘always leave us for Madrid’ like first suggested. And I’m not now changing the goal posts, just adding to the discussion as to where this feeling amongst United fans could arise from.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Can anyone tell me why that wasn't a penalty on him within a few mins of him coming on? Was completely dismissed by Neville and all other pundits. No idea why.
I think it was because the defender nicked the ball first before going through him.

Our players didn’t seem too bothered about that call either and Garnacho just got up and resumed play even without asking for a penalty.

Grande

Yeah ok I see your point. I do wonder where the trope comes from then, I don’t think it’s just the Ronaldo transfer.
Perhaps losing out to Barca and Madrid for top tier players over the years adds to the notion aswell?
Ones I can think of off the top of my head are Modrić, Bale, Benzema, Varane, Ozil all opting for Madrid over the years instead of us (or so the rumours go). More recent examples of it being a no brainier for wonder kids like Touchemeni and Camavinga choosing to go there instead of here.
It does feel as a United fan if that there was ever a choice between us and Madrid over the years, we would lose out.
I also seem to remember Darren Fletcher on Monday night football saying Fergie was good at sweetening up the European players at United as there was always the potential for them to have their heads turned by Madrid/Barca etc. But didn’t have to mollycoddle top tier British players like himself, Rooney, Ferdinand etc as he knew the British players would have dreamed to play for United and see that as the pinnacle of club football, instead of looking to move abroad.
But I do concede your point that players don’t ‘always leave us for Madrid’ like first suggested. And I’m not now changing the goal posts, just adding to the discussion as to where this feeling amongst United fans could arise from.
yes, fair nuancing, and it’s always interesting how tropes form. Your point about all the players who did go to Real Madrid seems televant to that question. I remember when the Galactico’s policy of RM formed, in the 90’s. In the 80’s they had been more of a club for the best Spanish players, and there was a limit on how many foreign players were allowed on the pitch (two/three).After the Bosman and EU changes to these restrictions, RM started to engage in marquee buys and by consecutvely breaking the world record for most expensive players with Figo, Zidane, it felt almost inevitable that they were going to get Ronaldo. This was also a time where Engliah club economics and United’s as well was much weaker than the mist wealthy Italian clubs and Real M and Barca. We lost our own gem Mark Hughes to Barca a decade earlier, for instance. So I think that feeling, having maybe the worlds beat player, that it was a given that Real Madrid would break the world record again and prize him from us, it stuck as a kind of self defeating ‘wizdom’ even as United developped into an economic behemoth internationally.

NoPace

Really impressive impact from the bench twice in one week. You've always got to be a bit cautious with young players but I think the fact that he will likely be competing with Rashford for the spot on the left might actually help him in some ways.

We've had players like Januzaj in the past who were probably thrust in a bit too much, too soon. That kind of pressure on a younger player isn't always a good thing, especially when people look to them as one of the main players to deliver. I think ten Hag will continue to manage Garnacho's minutes carefully but the signs look really promising.
The big question for me is if Garnacho performs at let's say the exact progression of Bukayo Saka, is will Ten Hag decide to sell Sancho for money to use elsewhere and just give Amad the RW job or bring in someone cheap to backup Antony and still come out with 40M or so to spend elsewhere. He literally doesn't think we have a premier league quality RB on the team, never mind the presumably wildly expensive buys we probably need at ST, CM and CB and we have no idea if he wants Ten Hag to stay, he may well not know yet. If Ten Hag gets 125M net a summer then Sancho being sold makes a lot more sense. If Ten Hag gets 175M net a summer, then he probably shouldn't be moved as we can work with that.

Greck

Find it funny how that one position turned out to have all our luck, over every other position combined. Legit voodoo.

Steven7290

Find it funny how that one position turned out to have all our luck, over every other position combined. Legit voodoo.
Its true, we never seemed to produce PL quality right winger since Beckham. Even Fletcher started there then converted to a CM. Every other position we did ok, most maybe not good enough for a top club mind.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's crazy that his goal means more than 3 points. It sets the fans and the players mood over this WC period. And more importantly, during this Ronaldo fiasco. We as a team don't need him, and we're on the way up.

Thanks Garnacho, thanks ETH, thanks Sky, thanks old man above, and thanks RedCafe.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Yesterday's goal was more about the defender sleeping on the job though. Not trying to take anything off his goal but he just breezed past the defender like it was a lamp post.
Son... that's just someone outpacing someone else.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we're honest, Antony hasn't even had the sort of impact Garnacho has had. He's been alright but not great in my opinion.
True. It’s strange we’ve spend over 160m on Antony and Sancho, but turns out Garnacho could be better than both.

Question is, who should we start on the left now, Rashford or Garnacho.

SAFMUTD

I think the defender never expected Garnacho to be so explosive. Watching the replay the pass seems off, Garnacho outpace the defender and even gets into his position.

Mr PG

One reason many players always opted for Madrid/ Barca besides y the weather was the coaching. City never had problems attracted keeping South American talent such as Aguero, David Silva etc. These types of players will never opt for a Mourinho or Ole coach as they understand football and know the impact on their technical skills etc. Now that we have a technically proficient coach .. someone like Casemiro, Licha , Anthony had no problem coming here. I’d rather have Antony over Tchouameni any day .

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think he’s probably already the second best finisher in the squad after Martial. If he can keep his feet on the ground fans have good reason to get very excited. He looks a really natural footballer since youth level, two footed, smooth dribbler and he seems to be able to impact physically at this level. Himself and Greenwood could have been devastating with their finishing and they would have cost us almost nothing. Our youth setup is definitely producing very good players but it seems we need to somehow keep the best of them a lot more grounded.

Last edited:

Mr PG

United was just such a basket-case man. Just because we missed out on Varane and Benzema doesn’t mean we end up with Smalling and Jones for 7 yrs ffs. While City signs Diaz, concelo etc.

Now that we have a coach who knows what he’s doing … he’s achieved more in 5 months than the other 2 blokes achieved in 6 yrs honestly.

mav_9me

True. It’s strange we’ve spend over 160m on Antony and Sancho, but turns out Garnacho could be better than both.

Question is, who should we start on the left now, Rashford or Garnacho.
Still Rashford. Give Garnacho space and time to develop. The coaches will see what's going on in training and decide

MUnchies

If we're honest, Antony hasn't even had the sort of impact Garnacho has had. He's been alright but not great in my opinion.
I don't agree one bit. His very first game he scored the opener against arsenal, also scored the equalizer against Everton. Every single game he tests the keeper, that's a lot of impact. Already his absence on the right hand side is very noticeable

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Still Rashford. Give Garnacho space and time to develop. The coaches will see what's going on in training and decide
Yes for now, but at some point in future Garnacho would want to start games for us or else he wouldn’t be happy. Especially when there is many big teams monitoring his situation. By then Rashford could also be entering his peak for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't agree one bit. His very first game he scored the opener against arsenal, also scored the equalizer against Everton. Every single game he tests the keeper, that's a lot of impact. Already his absence on the right hand side is very noticeable
Antony strikes some good goals and has offered more work rate on the right. But in terms of attacking impact and making things happened, Garnancho does look more impressive so far.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Weird last two pages. Somehow talking about Real/Barcelona signing players instead of talking about Garnacho.

Real Name

Antony strikes some good goals and has offered more work rate on the right. But in terms of attacking impact and making things happened, Garnancho does look more impressive so far.
Well goals are the ultimate attacking impacts. It just seems they're different kind of players.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well goals are the ultimate attacking impacts. It just seems they're different kind of players.
Even if you say so, Garnancho still has 2g 2a in 265 mins, whereas Antony has 3g 0a in 835 mins of game time. Garnancho is still made more impact there.

flappyjay

Even if you say so, Garnancho still has 2g 2a in 265 mins, whereas Antony has 3g 0a in 835 mins of game time. Garnancho is still made more impact there.
Yeah we were expecting a more mature version of what Garnacho is doing from Sancho and Antony. Hopefully he will look better with Martial and a new striker in jan(hopefully).

flappyjay

I think the defender never expected Garnacho to be so explosive. Watching the replay the pass seems off, Garnacho outpace the defender and even gets into his position.
And scored with his left, I love that he scored with his left whilst fighting off a challenge.

Real Name

Its true but as other poster said he's already become important to the way we play and we missed him on the right flank. They're different players. Not that I'm taking anything from Garnacho, on the contrary, its just people expected wonders from Antony from the word go and are not seeing his other qualities he offers.

Sylar

And scored with his left, I love that he scored with his left whilst fighting off a challenge.
Agreed. I thought he was too reliant on his right in the previous game. But its great that he had no issues with using it in a place and time where he didnt have much time to think. Will defo build his confidence on using that foot which will add even more unpredictability to his game.

Hes... the one! Hopefully he keeps working and strives to be the best at United.

bosskeano

let's not anoint this kid yet but he's showing that he can be another offensive option which we have been missing this season....some real depth up front

Adam-Utd

Kinda rare that we've got a right winger that can actually score with his left foot? that's 2 goals with his weak side now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Kinda rare that we've got a right winger that can actually score with his left foot? that's 2 goals with his weak side now.
He's a left winger, he's also 2-footed.

Adam-Utd

He's a left winger, he's also 2-footed.
Yeah I meant to write right footed left winger, but didn't quite get that out :wenger:

I wouldn't put him down as 2 footed like Greenwood, but he certainly seems like he can finish fairly well with his left.

Status
Not open for further replies.