g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Alejandro Garnacho image 17

Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

THE ZOL

Daddy Sancho
Supports
Al-Merreikh (Omdorman)
I don't think he's very similar at all. Ronaldo was much faster, especially over distance. I think for Garnacho to reach the next level, he needs to find a similar training program that Ronaldo used to improve his speed and strength. Too often Garnacho is able to get past his defender, but he struggles to keep ahead of them over distance, so I think the comparisons to Ronaldo and especially a young Giggs are not quite there. He's more Mahrez like in his approach - likes to dribble, great in tight spaces and a low centre of gravity. He's not the player to pick up the ball on the half-way line and run through the opposing team though.
I don’t think he has the flair of Mahrez. I don’t fancy Ale taking on players from a standing start or doing sole rolls and twisting and turning. He needs to work on a trick or a method for beating full-backs one-on-one. His most efficient tool right now is getting in behind with a one-two.

On the brightside, he has shown that he has a fierce shot and a decent cross. These attributes can turn him into a world-class player until he abandons us for Real Madrid. He has a good base to be a top, top player but he just needs to add more attributes to his game so that he can be a threat every time he gets the ball.

Rossa

I don’t think he has the flair of Mahrez. I don’t fancy Ale taking on players from a standing start or doing sole rolls and twisting and turning. He needs to work on a trick or a method for beating full-backs one-on-one. His most efficient tool right now is getting in behind with a one-two.

On the brightside, he has shown that he has a fierce shot and a decent cross. These attributes can turn him into a world-class player until he abandons us for Real Madrid. He has a good base to be a top, top player but he just needs to add more attributes to his game so that he can be a threat every time he gets the ball.
Maybe you're right. I suppose I was thinking more physically as he certainly isn't like Ronaldo or Giggs that would take the ball from their own half and carve through teams. He has a very good centre of gravity though, is quite direct and able to go past a player, but mostly by using step-overs and a quick burst of acceleration. Not sure who he reminds me the most of. He's definitely not the finished article though.

Smithy89

We can't let him stagnate or decline like we have allowed so many in the last ten years, he genuinely could become the best winger in Europe.

Red00012

Needs to learn when to shoot and when to put the ball in the box but he was one of the better players .

L1nk

Inconsistent, but he's young, so you allow and expect it. Having said that he was still one of the only players on the pitch that looked like you might get something from, which should tell you how terrible the rest were

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
His passing today was particularly bad, but can let him off as we shouldn't have to rely on him to be our only bright spark.

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
One of the few players including Mainoo I am proud to see play for United. Just hope we don’t ruin his career.

Manny

Grammar Police
Shades of Rashford with some of his cut in and shoot from anywhere, and that needs to be stamped out immediately.

Also needs to learn to slow the game down and put care into his pass.

Stadjer

I think he was terrible in the first 45 minutes. Did a lot better in the second half but there were moments where it was so obvious he was going for the cut inside and shoot option. Even when there were four opponents in front of him. Very much like Rashford does. However Garnacho is young so he still has time to improve that aspect. At the moment he is very much a shoot first pass later type of player though.

Idxomer

He needs to stop playing like a Ronaldo-lite all the time or he'll end up like Rashford.

Abraxas

Thought he was our best player quite comfortably. Some nice moments.

Says it all really, a few nice turns and dribbles but ultimately not that threatening was enough to be by far and away our most eye catching player.

He's got talent, he needs moulding into the full package, but that's hard in such a poor, inconsistent team with very few examples around him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Thought he was our best player quite comfortably. Some nice moments.

Says it all really, a few nice turns and dribbles but ultimately not that threatening was enough to be by far and away our most eye catching player.

He's got talent, he needs moulding into the full package, but that's hard in such a poor, inconsistent team with very few examples around him.
Magurie was surely? Garnacho was our best attacker but we were very poor in attack. I did turn it off after the 3rd goal though so I may have missed something

Abraxas

Magurie was surely? Garnacho was our best attacker but we were very poor in attack. I did turn it off after the 3rd goal though so I may have missed something
Were we not very poor in defence?

Maybe I'm a simplistic man in that sense but I don't like giving centre halves our man of the match when we picked the ball out of the net 3 times at home to Bournemouth.

Superunknown

He should be the 'weakest' player in our team. He's 19 and will still be learning the game, and he's playing in a position that demands a lot and where a lot will be expected from him. Instead, he's the best player in our team. In any other top side, he would be the emerging talent, the unproven youth player who has promise but still has a long way to go. Because the rest of the 11 are utter shite, he now looks like our best player, despite his age and despite his roughness. I feel for him because everybody else is letting him down and isn't giving him anything to aspire to. How can he honestly look at players like Antony, Martial, Amrabat, Dalot, etc and think "oh yes, these guys will encourage me to raise my standards and be the best in my position"? It's an utter joke.

I love the guy, but I am fully expecting us to ruin him. I don't honestly think he'll reach his potential long-term or get much better, or reach the standard he probably could do. We aren't giving him the platform to do that. He'll look a little more polished at times, a lot more rough at others, and will fluctuate in-between. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays at a similar level (performance-wise) 3 or 4 years from now. I don't trust the club to develop him. Who was the last player we fully developed and turned into a world class player?

Man Utd 0:1 Bayern Munich

Bobski

Have to be careful with him because he has a strong vein of head down and run, headless chicken stuff in him. Plenty of talent but he needs to be developed into an all round attacker and not the next Rashford/Poundland Ronaldo he is often showing.

tomaldinho1

Have to be careful with him because he has a strong vein of head down and run, headless chicken stuff in him. Plenty of talent but he needs to be developed into an all round attacker and not the next Rashford/Poundland Ronaldo he is often showing.
100%

Irwin99

I like him but that wasn't good at all. No end product, no real threat, good workrate at least but still very raw.

Seems to be able to beat a fullback with a trick and then lose the ball when the fullback outpaces or outmuscles him with a recovery.

El Jefe

Starting to think he might be one of our most overrated young players here. That’s not to say he won’t have a place in the squad long term but I don’t view him as a certainty.

He has a weird ability of looking like he’s got the beating of his fullback without ever actually doing it. He’s really not that fast and he’s not really a good dribbler. He’s had a run in the side for many games now and going as far back as last season he’s rarely won the battle against the RBs he’s faced.

He is good at getting into goal scoring positions though.

I think we should 100% be in the market for a LW this summer. We absolutely shouldn’t be thinking of not signing one because they might block his route because I don’t think he’s good enough to have that privilege.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think he’s a little slow for a winger. He doesn’t really seem to burst past full backs as much as I think he should

Yagami

Good post resistant
There's a lot of things I don't get with ten Hag, but our wing play is one of the biggest conundrums.

We don't have a Giggs out wide. Garnacho and Antony are not that good at dribbling. So why constantly isolate them out wide with the expectation being that they'll consistently beat multiple men and get it into a packed box. It hardly ever works. What usually happens is that we lose possession, and, because we've pushed the likes of Bruno and McTominay forwards, we get ripped apart on the counter. Get out of the box, come closer to the ball and create some passing triangles or something! They need support.

It's going to be the same with Amad. A lot of people are excited to see him, but they're going to be disappointed if this is the system he comes in to. People will look at his dribbling stats last year and think he'll do better, but the majority of his dribbles came in specific situations. He's not the type to get the ball and just have his opponent on toast. He needs support, too.

Even thinking about Rashford's best form. I'm not talking about last season because his general play was still lacking. I'm talking about that season under Ole where, before his injury, he was putting up impressive stats AND playing excellently in general. He was so good in general because we had Martial up front who'd often drift to the left, and he'd benefit from that link up play. He didn't have that support last year which made his stats all the more impressive, and, to me, was the difference between his level of general play last year to that season under Ole.

It's as frustrating as seeing us constantly play a one man midfield.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I get why people aren't flooding his thread to lament in the same way they are Antony's. He's not meant to be a starter, he's doing so out of necessity, hence the reduced expectations. The bottom line for me though is that none of our front three yesterday should be a starter, let alone all three playing together. Add Mctominay to that and it's easy to see why we were so easily outgunned yesterday. We offered no threat at all.

We need Rashford to get his head back in the game.
We need to swap Martial for a true number one CF via the transfer market. Toney maybe?
Need to swap Sancho for a true number one RW as well. Hopefully the Rafinha talks are true.
Need to get our injured starters in midfield and defence back. Mount, Casemiro and Martinez.

The team isn't as bereft of talent as our last few displays suggests. We need to get better luck with injuries and starters brought in at CF and RW. These are my two highest priority, which is a bit mind-boggling considering the amount of money we've spend on those areas recently.

Actually, scratch that, highest priority is off field. We need to get our organisation structure and recruitment policy right. Then it's CF and RW. After that, CB and DM to replace an ageing Casemiro and an injury prone Varane.
Rant over.

Last edited:

Rossa

I think he’s a little slow for a winger. He doesn’t really seem to burst past full backs as much as I think he should
He's certanly no Giggs. We really don't have a single player in the team that can take the ball and counter on his own, leaving his teammates to just get into the box. Rashford at his very best can do this, but when was the last time?

However, he did have one run yesterday where they couldn't catch him, and he actually showed some decent top speed. But decent isn't good enough. His acceleration is fine, but his top speed needs working on. It's the same with Antony - neither are slow, but they do lack that final cutting edge, especially for the type of football we are currently playing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He didn't have a good game, but I don't see better players doing better than him last night from dribbling point of view, apart from passing it earlier in one or two chances or making better decision. Most of his runs he was isolated in big space against two or three players, there's literally no one in the world who could make something out of most of those counter attacks, it's really hard to blame hom here. Also the guy in the first half defended really well too.

Thiagoal

Needs to bulk up and add more physicality before he’s a regular starter in my eyes! Problem is, Rashford’s form is poor too and Sancho/ Greenwood are nowhere near the club

Last edited:

flameinthesun

Felt he did as well as he could. Tbf the majority of our attackers were pretty isolated and I think he was the best of a bad bunch.

criticalanalysis

Needs to go back into rotation.

He's a basically a boxer who keeps throwing hail marys. Take on after take on after take on. Needs to start passing, getting others involved and making more short one-two passing to play off his defender.

Stadjer

Felt he did as well as he could. Tbf the majority of our attackers were pretty isolated and I think he was the best of a bad bunch.
I think the opposite. He was the worst out of a bad bunch. Lost the ball almost every time he tried something. Missed a big chance (or it was defended well) and was invisible otherwise. He isnt getting the same criticism as Antony because Antony is hated by many but had Antony played like Garnacho than Antony would have been called a shit championship level player. Rashford would also been slaughtered for a performance like Garnacho his performace of today. Garnacho is judged differently because he is a young player coming out of the academy and not a big money signing or on a big contract. Those things dont make his performance any better though. It is a bad game by a young homegrown player instead of a bad game by an expensive player but it is still a bad game.

He is a talented young player but he has not done much this season outside of the overhead kick. Last season he was better and Garnacho wouldnt be a starter for any club trying to win big things.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He needs to work on his one on one's. How to close the angle on the last defender and get a good powerful shot off. Seems like he almost panics in those situations and usually the shot is really tame.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think, once he buffs up, it'll go a long way to solving a lot of his problems. Right now he's a bit too lightweight and doesn't exactly make up for that by being super fast either, so he struggles to get away from his man.