g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Alejandro Garnacho image 17

Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OL29

If he was a clinical finisher he’d put up really good numbers as he seems to get put through one on one every game but he seems worse infront of goal than he did last season. He also gets dominated physically the majority of the time. He’s got enough talent to contribute but in reality he should still be a back up, he still has a lot of development to get through.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He’s still young so should come in and out of the team. But since he’s one of the only players who’s done anything of note all season, he’s become overly important.

He’s getting a lot of stick for that chance he missed but for me, Antony played it in too late leaving Garnacho no time to set the shot. If he’d received the ball a stride earlier he’d have been able to open up the far corner.
How can you blame this on Antony, it is really strange.

Godfather

He’s still young so should come in and out of the team. But since he’s one of the only players who’s done anything of note all season, he’s become overly important.

He’s getting a lot of stick for that chance he missed but for me, Antony played it in too late leaving Garnacho no time to set the shot. If he’d received the ball a stride earlier he’d have been able to open up the far corner.
Antony did nothing wrong there.

El Zoido

How can you blame this on Antony, it is really strange.
Because he played the pass too late, it gave Garnacho zero time to line up a shot. It’s not all Antony, Garnacho could’ve done better as well, but it should’ve been played in to him earlier. He was in tons of space. This is a big problem with Antony, he’s so slow with with everything he does.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is it safe to call out Garnacho's ineffectiveness in front of goal yet? Had some gilt edged chances this season and keeps fluffing his lines. I thought he'd kick on after the scissor kick. Still looks panicked in the penalty box though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think he makes it here in the long run. He hasn't got the pace or strength to beat his man. The poor decision making should improve over time but he will need more than that

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Because he played the pass too late, it gave Garnacho zero time to line up a shot. It’s not all Antony, Garnacho could’ve done better as well, but it should’ve been played in to him earlier. He was in tons of space. This is a big problem with Antony, he’s so slow with with everything he does.
Not a chance, it was his shite touch and insistence on opening up his body to hit it with his right was the problem. It was also so obvious he was going to do that, so I probably would have backed Areola to read it and save it even if he did get it right.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’ve said it for the last few weeks he’s been delivering poor performances but you’ll barely see ten posts on here after it. He’s been getting away with it for months now and has been riding on the fact that he isn’t Rashford who was public enemy No.1 at the time of losing his place.
He's basically been the same as Rashford this season, just Garnacho works a bit harder. Neither of them have been good enough.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Is it safe to call out Garnacho's ineffectiveness in front of goal yet? Had some gilt edged chances this season and keeps fluffing his lines. I thought he'd kick on after the scissor kick. Still looks panicked in the penalty box though.
You should have seen Vini Jr for us in his early days…not saying Garnacho is as talented or will reach that level. But it is rare for such young players to know what to do in front of goal.

Will take time but also a manager that can help him with that. And in the end it might be still a case of a player who is flashy but doesn’t offer that much but at this moment maybe a bit too soon.

El Jefe

I don't think he makes it here in the long run. He hasn't got the pace or strength to beat his man. The poor decision making should improve over time but he will need more than that
I think the bigger issue is that he can’t dribble. He has good pace and is sharp to loose balls but all of his moves are predictable or he just tries to kick and run and that’s where his lack of strength is exposed because he creates no separation.

He had standout pace in the youth teams but at this level it’s been neutralised so he needs to be able to dribble better to get away from his marker but he’s so bad at it.

I said sometime ago that he reminds me of Walcott with a lot less pace and finishing ability so far. That certainly isn’t star potential.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The finishing can improve with more experience. Didn't he finish emphatically with his left against Galata? He must be working on that. My concern is more about how the club and the fanbase perceives him at the moment. For this level of football, he's nothing special. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a place in the PL, the question marks are about his role at a club that aspires to compete with the very best. There's a lot of excitement around him that's more the product of desperation than actual evidence.

Bobski

The finishing can improve with more experience. Didn't he finish emphatically with his left against Galata? He must be working on that. My concern is more about how the club and the fanbase perceives him at the moment. For this level of football, he's nothing special. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a place in the PL, the question marks are about his role at a club that aspires to compete with the very best. There's a lot of excitement around him that's more the product of desperation than actual evidence.
He is not being helped by Rashford collapsing this season. Ideally he would be backing him up, making an impact off the bench, starting the odd game. He is clearly not physically ready for week to week play if we are expecting consistency.

redshaw

He has a few spectacular moments but that's it really. Our team and attack are so devoid of anything though, last season he did well when Rashford was put upfront and him brought on as sub on the left, it' was quite electric. Our team morale is so dead.

Garnacho put in a great cross for McTom to score this season but we've seen nothing since. Maybe lack of movement and understanding with Hojlund.

3KDré

The issue is Rashford was dropped for him for work rate. But the kid's not ready to start consistently, which is understandable. But Rashford doesn't even look arsed that he was dropped, so we cant reintroduce him based on merit. It's a mess. How've we spent £250m on our attack and this is what it's come to?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He is not being helped by Rashford collapsing this season. Ideally he would be backing him up, making an impact off the bench, starting the odd game. He is clearly not physically ready for week to week play if we are expecting consistency.
Oh, absolutely. I'm not criticizing him for not being able to carry the team on his shoulders, that would be ridiculous. I am judging the raw materials we happen to see often nowadays. He can't dribble, he's not strong, and he doesn't offer anything on the ball from a standing position. I agree that he would be much better as an option from the bench. But he does seem like yet another attacking player at United who can thrive only when there are acres of space for him to exploit on the counter.

Irwin99

Like Hojlund it's just all a bit too much for him at this stage. He shouldn't be in the team as a starter but it's like a competition of who can be the least shit out of Rashford, Martial, Hojlund, Antony and Pellistri.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Like Hojlund it's just all a bit too much for him at this stage. He shouldn't be in the team as a starter but it's like a competition of who can be the least shit out of Rashford, Martial, Hojlund, Antony and Pellistri.
Interesting you've mentioned Hojlund. When the final whistle blew, what went through my mind is for us to sink or swim with the likes of Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo. Like what Arsenal did for Arteta 2-3 seasons ago.

Gamble on these guys reaching their potential. Bin off those over a certain age who won't be able to contribute when they're ready. We won't win shit for a couple of years but if we stick to the plan, resist the temptation to tear everything up at the first sign of trouble, maybe we'd actually recover.

flameinthesun

Yeah I agree, in a perfect world he'd still be coming off of the bench. Tbf to him I think he's been the most consistent (as consistent as one can be in this squad) of the attackers. He's constantly working, when left 1 on 1 he's a danger. Needs to work on his finishing though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's not good enough at the minute. Hopefully, when he grows physically, he'll be an asset as he won't be muscled out of games so easily, but that looks a while away at the minute.

Still, we set him up to fail with this system. Garnacho, like Antony, Rashford, whoever, cannot dribble, so stop isolating him/them! Erik needs to coach us so that, when they have possession, their teammates come out wide to create passing triangles. I'm not excusing ant of their poor form but we do them no favours.

I want to see Amad but it will be the same with him, too, as he thrives on linkup play. This needs sorting out as urgently as our midfield setup.

YikesSchmeics

Heard the commentator talk about how he excites and frustrates and it reminded me of Ronaldo at that age. Cristiano was probably far more frustrating than exciting at that stage too. But more talented too, obviously. But a good reminder that he is a kid.

Last edited:

Marwood

When youngsters first come in, like Garnacho did, it's all instinct. He was putting chances away no problem.

But most young players then go through this stage, where they start overthinking. That's all he's doing wrong now. Overcomplicating it a bit.

Alemar

Wasted another one on one opportunity today. But on the other hand - once again he was the only player with a chance to score - all the other so called “high earners” didn’t have anything combined

kundalini

Seemed like our plan was to get the ball to Garnacho, then hope his cross falls to a United player, instead it either got blocked, deflected, cleared or went straight to their keeper. Unconvincing attempt from his big chance after Antony's pass.

I like him but it's a huge amount of responsibility at his age. Hopefully, he will learn a lot this season.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Heard the commentator talk about how he excites and frustrates and it reminded me of Ronaldo at that age. Probably far more frustrating that exciting at that stage too. More talented too, obviously. But a good reminder that he is a kid.
Garnacho more talented than Ronaldo at that age? Did I read that right or wrong?

Roux

Why did he fall over in the one-on-one? Unreal how poor all of our forwards have been.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He did ok, had a poor first touch for the chance. Worked had and didnt stop trying. Amazing how little time some fans have for a young player

Thiagoal

He’s got a big future but I’m worried how the pressure and over-reliance on him will affect him long term! Its quite frankly negligence from the club to have so few attacking options available and the ones we do have being young players who have achieved very little so far in their careers!

Oranges038

Constantly fluffs decent chances with a poor touch or not being able to sort his feet.

Needs to be more composed around the box.