g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain | Set to miss the 2018/19 season

Bwuk

I’m really not sure what he’s supposed to bring to that Liverpool side. He has energy, but that’s about it.

Judas

Open to offers
If he's still starting for them next season, they've had a bad summer.

I think he could have been a better player if he'd not stuck around at Arsenal for so long.

faszul

Just standard overrated English player - have good engine, pace and work rate but nothing else - remind me of Walcott, Barkley, Henderson etc.
If you talking about overall game intelligence Lingard is better.

Ardis

Just standard overrated English player - have good engine, pace and work rate but nothing else - remind me of Walcott, Barkley, Henderson etc.
Haha, totally agree. He's been kind of better under Klopp, but as you said, a bang average overrated English player that will flop at the WC.

Last edited by a moderator:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Lallana too, think he'd have posed more problems for us yesterday if he'd started.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He has the weirdest career progression arc. He was not bad as a winger so the switch to CM seems completely unnecessary.

JSArsenal

Are people surprised by Ox's performance yesterday?

He has great games like the ones against Ac Milan, United at home (Think Park scored the winner and RVP gave Wenger the dirtiest look when Oxwas substituted) and Chelsea.

Other times he's either injured or blows hot and cold. He doesn't score or assist enough to be a forward.

Klopp can say what he likes about teaching Ox his system but the guy doesn't understand how to be a central midfielder. Not a world class one anyway.

In a way almost none of our midfielders understand the midfield role except El neny and to an extent Xhaka, who has no idea where to position himself at times. But Ox was the chief offender. His best position is in the forward line

His kick and run style of play would be great for a wing back role so its clear why Chelsea wanted him, but the defensive side of his game is lacking so that is why I don't think he's a central midfielder. As a wing back he has 3 center backs and a DM covering for him defensively so its not as big of a problem. When he's in midfield however, that lack of defensive nous hurts him, it also takes away from his attacking game.

Its ironic that his idol is Gerrard and he wants to be just like him, when Gerrard couldn't play in midfield either.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
He's a decent player. Good athlete. Will do well when the team is doing well. He's a bit in a grey area of not really being special enough for a top team but perhaps too good for the likes of Everton and Leicester. He's a decent squad player for 1 of the top sides and that's his level

meamth

Transformed himself into a midfield player like Moussa Dembele.

The goal he scored last night was the best of the bunch. Wouldn't mind him here.

M Bison

Supports
York City

The goal he scored last night was the best of the bunch. Wouldn't mind him here.
Played well last night but think this is jumping the gun. One ray of sunshine doesn’t make a summer.

meamth

Played well last night but think this is jumping the gun. One ray of sunshine doesn’t make a summer.
He has been perfoming really well since his move. Whether he can maintain that next season is a different story.

Credits where it deserves. From a frustrating Arsenal player into an exciting midfielder.

Zoo

Its too early. He's still a work in progress though he did the right thing leaving Wenger.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He has been perfoming really well since his move. Whether he can maintain that next season is a different story.

Credits where it deserves. From a frustrating Arsenal player into an exciting midfielder.
I may not have seen as much of him as yourself, but the games I’ve seen (apart from last night) he’s been very average. Even the last posts in this thread is about SM bossing him.

Think the Dembele comparisons are excessive

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He has improved a lot since his move and he was right to leave Arsenal. Not sure how good he is though - still yet to be convinced.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Both Ox and Dembele are flawed in a top midfield. Ox is ridiculously direct and notches up goals and assists while Dembele can 'boss' midfield with skill and strength, but minus the stats.

Neither does enough to make that midfield place their own.

NinjaFletch

It's fairly damning on Wenger though how much Ox seems to have improved in little more than 6 months away from Arsenal. Like the final thing Wenger was renowned for being stripped away.

PoTMS

:lol:

Dembele? No. He's playing well but let's not go over the top. Dembele is Spurs' best player.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Eh, he's had these kind of flash in the pan performances for us as well. I'll start getting excited when he produces at this level for a consistent period of time. His shooting is one aspect that has definitely improved, for Arsenal he always seemed to hit the woodwork. Though that could be attributed to experience more than coaching.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
This season for Liverpool

37 games
1800 minutes
5 goals
6 assists

Last season

45 games
2500 minutes
6 goals
11 assists

Though half the goals came against Reading and Nott. Forest.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I knew at least somebody would over rate him because of that goal last night.

He’s playing better than what he was at Arsenal but that’s about it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Dembele? No. He's playing well but let's not go over the top. Dembele is Spurs' best player.
Dembele's important but not their best, Kane is their best player.

Trizy

Dembele's important but not their best, Kane is their best player.
Apparently, the Spurs players themselves believe Dembele is their best player.

When he's on his game he can boss a midfield at any level to be fair.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
A very Klopp-player. Great engine and speed. Have quite high hopes for him and think that a midfield of him, Keita and one more could potentially be pretty damn good.

meamth

Why are you laughing? He clearly playing that Dembele role. The spark at midfield who runs, dribble, and carry the ball from the deep. Much like Dembele for me.

He is not as good as Dembele for now, but he has the potential. Only good things for England.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Seems to be only playing well against City only. He's been bang average in other matches whenever I've seen them.

Aint gota Kalou

Think he works well in their system. He seems to play pretty wide for a central midfielder, covers the space Salah vacates when he's the furthest up the pitch. Not sure he would flourish in many other teams but works well for them.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He needs to be far more consistent. Last night was really good but he’s been anonymous in other games since we signed him.

He’s been a useful squad player.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Fecks sake. A midfielder like Dembele? Want him here?

:houllier:

RooneyLegend

He lacks the football brain you'd attribute with the very best midfielders. That is something you don't need in a game that questions your technical ability rather than your ability to see things and that's a department he certainly isn't lacking in. There was a time yesterday when he was driving towards the defence and Firminho was clean through and it was a relatively simple pass, and he didn't make it. Those sort of situations are costly and he needs to sort that out.

PoTMS

Why are you laughing? He clearly playing that Dembele role. The spark at midfield who runs, dribble, and carry the ball from the deep. Much like Dembele for me.

He is not as good as Dembele for now, but he has the potential. Only good things for England.
He's nothing like Dembele. The fact you're even mentioning him in the same breath as one of the best midfielders in the world at the moment is laughable. Yes, he played well against City but so did Milner and Henderson and they're hardly anything special.

DRM

Wait which Dembele are we talking about?

meamth

He's nothing like Dembele. The fact you're even mentioning him in the same breath as one of the best midfielders in the world at the moment is laughable. Yes, he played well against City but so did Milner and Henderson and they're hardly anything special.
:houllier: I never said he is on par with Dembele now, just saying his role now is similar. The qualities are there minus the maturity of Dembele.

List down what Dembele is good at vs Oxlade in midfield. Not really a bad comparison.

EDIT:

If you even have a bit of football knowledge just compare this:

Minute 2:49 in Ox's video. If there is no similarities of his driving run with Dembele, I don't know what you're laughing about.

Last edited:

PoTMS

:houllier: I never said he is on par with Dembele now, just saying his role now is similar. The qualities are there minus the maturity of Dembele.

List down what Dembele is good at vs Oxlade in midfield. Not really a bad comparison.
No, ta. They're not similar at all, apart from being midfielders.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Chamberlain isn't good at all that much as a midfielder, great at being a winger and scores some bangers though!