Alexander Buttner | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Games you presumably haven't seen then?

Yet you're still confident he's better than Buttner, even though you've not watched him then. Right.
You make it sound like Fabio didn't play in the Champions League Final and wasn't one of our better players that night.

Revan

Assumptionman
He still looks like a headless chick. Don't think that he played well at all.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Maybe he shouldn't be a left back. He has a good left foot, and decent enough technique but he can't really defend at all.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Think Fabio is comfortably the superior talent, but I think Buttner has shown enough to suggest he could become a good player for us if he works on his defensive game. Certainly no doubting his skill and ability going forward.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Honestly, Full backs will always get skinned as their the first line of defense on the wings, I didn't see Buttner do too badly as he's certainly not the LB heinze version, but he'll keep improving.

Like Evra's debut season, it'll take a year to adapt and I can see him only getting better with his mentality. A very good player to have, his on the ball skills and short passing isn't too shabby and he's definitely better than Brady at LB.

I'm glad we have him.

Bebe

f365 have a line about him saying something like "his marauding attitude does a good job of disguising his lack of actual ability". I'd be inclined to agree with that. He looks very vulnerable and hesitant in his decision making, but has enough good moments down more to resolve and attitude than anything to make up for it.

Like others have said, if he figures out how to defend he could make a decent LB. I actually don't mind when he plays solely for the entertainment value.

Cold_Boy

Lets give him a bit of time imo.

Evra looked awful in his first half season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's still raw. While he seems to do ok going forward, he needs to work on his defensive abilities but that was to be expected. No worries from my side, he'll be a good back up

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's obvious from his Vitesse days that he wasn't that good defensively. It's his attacking play that he's known for.

But it's a lot harder to train offensive play than defensive. So, he's on the right track as an attacking fullback.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's obviously a raw prospect, whose every game is like an audition.. so is playing under a fair bit of pressure. Think it is too early to judge, I think there is enough there to work with to merit giving him another year at least.. needs to bulk up, sharpen up his first touch from long balls, most of his defensive play.. but with the ability he has going forwards, he is worth putting some effort in.

Forevergiggs

I like him for his attitude and enthusiasm, his attacking play isn't half bad but he takes too many risks near and inside the penalty box for me to get real excited about him. Yesterday, there were two or three incidents where I shouted WTF Buttman! The one header, which he should have cleared easily, almost led to a goal because he was fecking around with it.

I think when you are used this sparingly you try extra hard to impress and that might be one the reasons. He has potential but we will have to wait and watch how he develops defensively. He attitude is Manchester United, need to see more quality.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I am not convinced on him for Manchester United, he is fun to watch but a liability. Fabio is a much greater talent.

gza the genius

Watching him and judging his talent is weird, his range of ability is so big in different areas. Defensively he isn't very good, and even offensively he doesn't look that great a lot of the times, but then he'll just randomly pull off something very good (like the 360 turn he did in the second half). I think it's safe to say that if Fabio can stay away from injuries he'll be the better of the two though.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Lets give him a bit of time imo.

Evra looked awful in his first half season.
When there are the type of people posting on here, such as the example below, this sort of thing is out of the question unfortunately. Said poster, like many others, are so apt at judging a players talent and potential on very little evidence its makes me wonder why they are not highly paid talent scouts. The Evra comparison makes perfect sense to me but sure what do I know I am just a supporter not a clairvoyant or scout extraordinaire.

I am not convinced on him for Manchester United, he is fun to watch but a liability. Fabio is a much greater talent.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

When there are the type of people posting on here, such as the example below, this sort of thing is out of the question unfortunately. Said poster, like many others, are so apt at judging a players talent and potential on very little evidence its makes me wonder why they are not highly paid talent scouts. The Evra comparison makes perfect sense to me but sure what do I know I am just a supporter not a clairvoyant or scout extraordinaire.
We are all entitled to our opinion. If we all sat on the fence like you then the forum would be a redundant entity. Buttner was bought as back up, as was stated by the club. I don't know why you are getting so pissy about me thinking that that is exactly what he will be.

Furthermore, the Evra argument is not a good one. Evra was a recent Champions League finalist and formerly one of the highest rated young players in Europe when we signed him, he had far more pedigree than Buttner. Maybe if you paid more attention to the sport then you might get off your fence from time to time.

Ramshock

We are all entitled to our opinion. If we all sat on the fence like you then the forum would be a redundant entity. Buttner was bought as back up, as was stated by the club, I don't know why you are getting so pissy about me thinking that that is exactly what he will be.
How am I sitting on the fence? Its called giving a player ample opportunity to prove himself. How bad was Evra when he started? Do you remember Silvestres first few games? Im just reasonable when it comes to giving people chances. You, like many others, have them packaged and labelled as rejects as soon as they are out of the fecking box.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

How am I sitting on the fence? Its called giving a player ample opportunity to prove himself. How bad was Evra when he started? Do you remember Silvestres debut? Im just reasonable when it comes to giving people chances. You, like many others, have them packaged and labelled as rejects as soon as they are out of the fecking box.
From my edit

Furthermore, the Evra argument is not a good one. Evra was a recent Champions League finalist and formerly one of the highest rated young players in Europe when we signed him, he had far more pedigree than Buttner. Maybe if you paid more attention to the sport then you might get off your fence from time to time.

For the record too: I assert my opinion but I do not sit here thinking that I know these things for sure. Who knows, in 5 years perhaps Zaha and Buttner will be key players in our team. I just say it as I see it. I like Buttner as a player, he is exciting, though I don't that much upside for him being a nailed on starter for us.

Ramshock

You already labelled him a liability. A player who has made how many starts exactly? Thats my whole point, people want players polished and top class from the start. Its not going to happen at his age. My point is give players a chance before they are labelled as a liability or not good enough for Manchester United. Evra is a seasoned professional and he cost us more times than he cares to remember this last few years.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Even some of the best players struggle without game-time and Buttner is thrown in at the odd game here and there, so based off that, it's a bit unfair to judge his ability. Once he gets a good run of games then can people start to form an opinion. also, must remember that he is still pretty young and will only improve as I assume our backroom staff are of a much higher caliber than that of Vitesse.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

You already labelled him a liability. A player who has made how many starts exactly? Thats my whole point, people want players polished and top class from the start. Its not going to happen at his age. My point is give players a chance before they are labelled as a liability or not good enough for Manchester United. Evra is a seasoned professional and he cost us more times than he cares to remember this last few years.
True

I probably am too harsh on Buttner, he is very far from being awful. He just seems rash and hotheaded. I am skeptical if he will be able to reign himself in.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he played well last night. It's the most comfortable he's looked in a United shirt so far I would say... and what I mean by that is, for the games he's featured in up to now, I've got this impression from him like he thinks "feck me... what the feck am I doing here, in this shirt?!" ... but yesterday, he gave me the feeling as if he fully belonged and deserved to be here.

This is all a bunch of arbitary nonsense of course... and I'm hardly a fecking expert on body language.

In terms of actual football though, he was fine... they didn't cause him too much trouble (they didn't cause us too much trouble mind, bar one or two moments/scrambles in the second half) and he had some decent link up play... then of course there was that silky Maradona turn... which I want a gif of by the way!

Donut

Fergie: "We have several other players who needed a game like Nani, Wayne Rooney, Anderson and Nicolas Buttner."

:lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
At least, his first game shows what he's capable of. A goal and an assist for MotM.

Baxter

I thought he did okay. Considering Evra has been a pretty shite crosser of the ball for most of his Utd career I don't think you can beat him with that stick. I like him, and despite the fact he is really raw and gets skinned quite often, I hope we stick with him for a bit and see how he develops. It's a massive step up, and he hasn't played all that often.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
If Evra is still here next season I'd like to see Buttner loaned out and Fabio stay and start competing for the starting position. A year out at somebody like Everton (should they lose Baines) would do Buttner the world of good, I reckon.

Jonno

He played well last night. But FM13 suggests he has a PA of 140-150 so i'm not so keen. Lets see what next years release suggests before making our minds up on him.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Really annoys me when commentators ignore his fecking umlaut. Its bweettner or buittner
Do the commentators say that? Or are you suggesting they should say that?
If it's the latter I'm not sure you know the correct pronunciation of the "ü".

krazyrobus

Based on his first touch and overall technique I don't see how he can be anything more than a squad player. Comparisons to Evra's 1st season are out of context, it did not take Evra that long to adapt. He had a supposedly bad first game against City. I blame Silvestre, a disastrous CB but very able left back, for the goals conceded with poor positioning that gave Sinclair time and space. I was amazed that these errors were attributed to Evra. Then the following match Evra shackled up Gerrard at OT so the whole "it took a while for Evra to adapt" doesn't hold.

Shark

@NotShark
He's still developing, give him time and he could be a different player in two or three years time. The lads only 23.

I think that he does have potential, I certainly wouldn't right him off being a first team player just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.