Alexis offered to Roma

Roboc7

Does anyone seriously think this isn't dumb after today?

He might have been shite for us so far but we are 3 games into the season and resorting to bringing on a 17 year old in situations where we desperately need a goal...and that's before Martial got injured, who is our only striker.
He’s probably got no interest in staying so I’d imagine that’s why he’s being allowed to go.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He’s probably got no interest in staying so I’d imagine that’s why he’s being allowed to go.
Yes but if that's the case then signing a forward of some description in the summer was THE no1 priority. So why didn't we?

We don't have other areas of the pitch where we are going to be reliant on teenagers producing the kind of match winning input you would expect from a top class seasoned professional.

On top of that we already have a week midfield so can't rely on controlling games and grinding out 1-0s or draws where we don't score enough.

All of the positive things Ole does and says and the difference in our style of play is undermined when we leave ourselves so short of goalscoring players that achieving our aims will be next to impossible anyway.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
OK, I am switching sides and in 'keep him' camp now. Saving 6 odd million in wages won't mean anything when we are so light in attack. Tbf you don't need injury to know it can/will happen and I was flip flopping on whether I want him to stay or not for this reason itself but it will be too risky now when we are seeing right at start how injuries can hamper us badly. As far as chances to youngsters are concerned, we will be having lots of games from September for that.

OT1214

Would rather keep him at this point, unless he is a destabilizing presence in the dressing room. We will be short of options in case of an injury to Rashford or Martial.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just to put into perspective. We will probably need 100 odd goals or more in all competitions for a succesful season (4th place and competing for a cup or two). You have to be able to realistically work out where those goals are coming from.

Even if we push the "realistically" part, it's a struggle. You can say 20 goals each for Rashford and Martial if they both have very good seasons and avoid significant injury layoffs. Maybe 10 for Pogba if we start using him further forward at some point. Lingard, James and Mata might get 20 between them at a push. That's 70. You still need another 30 odd from somewhere else...and I think more likely you're looking at only one of Rashford or Martial getting 20ish, depending on which one plays as the striker more. Lingard and Mata could just as easily get about 4 goals between them as they could 10-20. So more likely you are looking at relying on between 30-50 goals from the rest of the team.

Even with Sanchez, this is a big ask, but at least with him, you have a player who has the knowhow and potential to get a chunk of those goals, particularly when you consider the likely standard of opposition in the Europa League. Take him out, and the bulk of this responsibility then rests on Greenwood, Gomez, Chong, etc.

Again for perspective, if Greenwood were to score in the Premier League, he'd be one of the youngest players ever to score a Premier League goal, full stop. Never mind score them regularly. The list of scorers younger than or similar age to him mainly consists of players who scored a freak one off goal at a young age (Macheda, Milner, etc.). The list of players his age who were scoring goals with any kind of regularity at all is as follows: Wayne Rooney...and that's it. Even Owen was 18 before he burst onto the scene.

So without Sanchez you go from asking for something that's unlikely to asking for what is essentially the impossible, as well as heaping a load of pressure to produce the impossible on a bunch of unproven teenagers who barely have 90 minutes of first team experience between them.

For someone to sit there and consider this and then conclude it's a good idea to pay another team to use Sanchez instead of us is frankly just plain self destructive. I mean unless he's walking into training and actively making everyone else worse, what possible sense does this make?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Another dumb move by the club and manager in a summer full of dumb moves.

crossy1686

career ending
Conte must having fecking rocks in his head. How one Earth have we managed to shift Lukaku and Sanchez in one summer?

Surely January funds available now though!

Jimmy_Bond

Done dealio???? I know some are annoyed, but this is a great day in the long term, and to finally have him off the wage structure and ruining all potential renewals and potential signings is nothing but a positive.

Time to rebuild that wage structure and have in place specific salaries for young/ back up/ established/ top level players that we don't break in any circumstances.

Are we smart enough to do that?

Jambalaya

Done dealio???? I know some are annoyed, but this is a great day in the long term, and to finally have him off the wage structure and ruining all potential renewals and potential signings is nothing but a positive.

Time to rebuild that wage structure and have in place specific salaries for young/ back up/ established/ top level players that we don't break in any circumstances.

Doubt it.
We gave Rashford 200pwk.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Would never have seen this going so badly wrong...a truly tragic signing. Just nothing. The best game I saw him have was his league debut at old Trafford against Huddersfield. Down hill massively from there. Can't remember,before too many half decent games from him. We're short in numbers but we've done well to get him off the books.

Enigma_87

You know who

We will still be paying his wages to play for a different team. Smart.

fergiesarmy1

Another dumb move by the club and manager in a summer full of dumb moves.
Ole has always talked about him as if he would be part of the squad, this is Woodward and the glazers I’d suggest.

I can’t see why a manager would weaken his own squad and face criticism once Rashford and or martial inevitably get injured, this is Ole’s one and only chance at the top as manager so deliberately sabotaging it makes little sense.

predator

Youth NITK
Just to put into perspective. We will probably need 100 odd goals or more in all competitions for a succesful season (4th place and competing for a cup or two). You have to be able to realistically work out where those goals are coming from.

Even if we push the "realistically" part, it's a struggle. You can say 20 goals each for Rashford and Martial if they both have very good seasons and avoid significant injury layoffs. Maybe 10 for Pogba if we start using him further forward at some point. Lingard, James and Mata might get 20 between them at a push. That's 70. You still need another 30 odd from somewhere else...and I think more likely you're looking at only one of Rashford or Martial getting 20ish, depending on which one plays as the striker more. Lingard and Mata could just as easily get about 4 goals between them as they could 10-20. So more likely you are looking at relying on between 30-50 goals from the rest of the team.

Even with Sanchez, this is a big ask, but at least with him, you have a player who has the knowhow and potential to get a chunk of those goals, particularly when you consider the likely standard of opposition in the Europa League. Take him out, and the bulk of this responsibility then rests on Greenwood, Gomez, Chong, etc.

Again for perspective, if Greenwood were to score in the Premier League, he'd be one of the youngest players ever to score a Premier League goal, full stop. Never mind score them regularly. The list of scorers younger than or similar age to him mainly consists of players who scored a freak one off goal at a young age (Macheda, Milner, etc.). The list of players his age who were scoring goals with any kind of regularity at all is as follows: Wayne Rooney...and that's it. Even Owen was 18 before he burst onto the scene.

So without Sanchez you go from asking for something that's unlikely to asking for what is essentially the impossible, as well as heaping a load of pressure to produce the impossible on a bunch of unproven teenagers who barely have 90 minutes of first team experience between them.

For someone to sit there and consider this and then conclude it's a good idea to pay another team to use Sanchez instead of us is frankly just plain self destructive. I mean unless he's walking into training and actively making everyone else worse, what possible sense does this make?
Yep. Completely agree. Couldnt have put it better.

I am genuinely bemused as to where Ole, an ex striker, thinks our goals will come from. Its madness but its too late now I guess. We should've signed an established / experienced striker as well as keeping sanchez at the bare minimum.

Jimmy_Bond

We will still be paying his wages to play for a different team. Smart.
No we won't. We'll be paying a portion but still saving millions of quid a month.

It's not ideal, but just a measure of the magnitude of the initial error.

You don't make 6 years worth of horrific errors without consequences unfortunately.

Infestissumam

Alexis Sanchez will become new Inter player, done deal! It will be a simple loan until June 2020 from Man United and Inter will pay €5M of his €12M wage. He’ll arrive tomorrow in Milano to sign his contract, the deal is done.

Bojan11

So we paying £7m just for him to play elsewhere. This is just ridiculous.

settembrini

Hopefully playing in a weaker league will help him. We need him to do well enough that Inter sign him permanently, not send him back to us in a year.

Enigma_87

You know who
No we won't. We'll be paying a portion but still saving millions of quid a month.

It's not ideal, but just a measure of the magnitude of the initial error.

You don't make 6 years worth of horrific errors without consequences unfortunately.
So essentially we will.

Martial just had an injury. Next week our striker options will be a 17 years old who has played barely few minutes at top level and Rashford.

It's incredibly shite deal to save what 4-5m pounds for a year? That's around 30-40k per week.

Kush

Ole has always talked about him as if he would be part of the squad, this is Woodward and the glazers I’d suggest.

I can’t see why a manager would weaken his own squad and face criticism once Rashford and or martial inevitably get injured, this is Ole’s one and only chance at the top as manager so deliberately sabotaging it makes little sense.
Surely he should've pushed for the club to keep him given we can bring no one else in? And if that is the extent of power dynamics and relationship between Ole and the board, then how on earth can that be seen as a positive? It's simply not sustainable!

Conte must having fecking rocks in his head. How one Earth have we managed to shift Lukaku and Sanchez in one summer?

Surely January funds available now though!
The only people who have fecking rocks in their head are at our club. Such amazing job shifting Sanchez, Lukaku in one summer. Maybe they should've brought someone in while they were are it?

Fellaini, Herrera, Lukaku, Sanchez gone in 2 windows. Our only signing in midfield and attack? Daniel Jamies, a winger from championship. We deserve everything which comes our way this season.

-Supreme-

So we paying £7m just for him to play elsewhere. This is just ridiculous.
I wonder if we get a loan fee and if inter has to buy at the end of the loan deal? Otherwise this is complete stupidity from our part

dev1l

Apparently Inter have no option to buy.
They ll just pay 5 million of his 12 million salary.
Don't know if the bonuses he used to have are included or not.
I presume that the club will be saving more than (5million + taxes =7.25 million).

Not to mention that dressing room atmosphere should improve - apparently lot of playerd were not happy with his salary

fergiesarmy1

Not to mention that dressing room atmosphere should improve - apparently lot of playerd were not happy with his salary
The memory will always linger, especially when it comes to contract time.

“Remember how much you paid that pudding Sanchez?”

dev1l

My impression is that Ole wanted a striker when Lukaku was sold, but our negotiating team didn't manage to sign anyone.

I won't be surprised if our negotiators ("one deal at a time") left it so late so they will have an excuse not to sign anyone.

Kush

After days of waiting the operation was defined: Inter and Manchester United found the agreement for the passage of Alexis Sanchez in Milan . The agreement was reached between the clubs in the evening. All done, so much so that the Chilean will be in Milan tomorrow for medical examinations. The novelty is represented by the formula: the attacker will in fact get a free and dry loan: the Nerazzurri company will pay about 5 million of the engagement of the now ex Manchester United.
Seriously, how can anyone say this is a good deal for us? They're paying Sanchez €5m net on his annual salary of around ~€14.5m net. Even taking into account different tax rates in Italy and UK, we'll be footing 60% of his wages. Plus they can always send him back to us next summer.

This club is run by utter morons.

Stubble

If this is true and we are stumping up the majority of his wages with Inter having absolutely no obligation to buy then it's got to rank as the most stupid decision of all the stupid decisions the club has made recently..the hierarchy at this club must be on drugs. Lukaku gone, Martial injured with only Rashford and a 17 year old prospect as backup. You just couldn't make it up. What is the point of this exactly we lose valuable experienced cover this season with every possibility Sanchez (and his inflated wages ) will be back like a bad smell next season.. bonkers..

Last edited:

Jimmy_Bond

Apparently Inter have no option to buy.
They ll just pay 5 million of his 12 million salary.
Don't know if the bonuses he used to have are included or not.
I presume that the club will be saving more than (5million + taxes =7.25 million).

His salary must be much more than £12m a year? I thought he was on around £350,000 a week basic which would be around £1.5m a month so closer to £18m a year.

Did I not read that the loan would cost Inter £11m?

Tel074

It's just a pity we didn't do more transfer business because the outs have been decent . Deadwood like Jones Rojo Darmian next and between January and next summer about 6 new players and we should be a far better club and team next season . I still fear this season could be alot worse than last but we have to stick with Ole and see where it takes us

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This club is beyond embarrassing and deserves everything headed its way. It’s a shame we fans have to suffer as well but it is what it is.

Was Sanchez the answer to our current problem? No. Does this make the problem worse? Yes.

And after we pay for him to play for Inter for a year, he returns. Just how much more incompetence can Woodward get away with before Old Trafford starts to empty?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'll never forget his United unveiling video:

dev1l

Seriously, how can anyone say this is a good deal for us? They're paying Sanchez €5m net on his annual salary of around ~€14.5m net. Even taking into account different tax rates in Italy and UK, we'll be footing 60% of his wages. Plus they can always send him back to us next summer.

This club is run by utter morons.
First of all we have a negotiating team :))

Secondly it seems that Sanchez agreed to lower his net pay to 12 million a year.

So according to my calculations we will be saving (14.5 - 7m) x 1.45 (tax)=10.87 million

Kush

His salary must be much more than £12m a year? I thought he was on around £350,000 a week basic which would be around £1.5m a month so closer to £18m a year.

Did I not read that the loan would cost Inter £11m?
In Italy, they always report annual salary AFTER tax. His wages are in region of £24m gross at club.

First of all we have a negotiating team :))

Secondly it seems that Sanchez agreed to lower his net pay to 12 million a year.

So according to my calculations we will be saving (14.5 - 7m) x 1.45 (tax)=10.87 million
:lol:

In Italy, they report wages after tax. He's not negotiated a lower pay. He's still going to be paid the same, it's just that 40% will be paid by Inter and rest by us. Great job eh?