Alexis offered to Roma

Castia

That bad we’ll pay him not to be here.

What an absolute mess.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes but my argument is that San hez played literally no role last season, and the kittle he did he was shite. So they are replacing shite. Even if they are shite, it doesnt put us in a worse position. Like I said, Samchez will make no difference to our performances whether he stays or goes with nobody replacing him. The only potential with him is having him around hurts squad morale and brings down the togetherness of the team, gives us pointless distractions, and brings down the quality of training sessions (while picking up £350k a week). There is no hope for him to give us anything useful on the pitch, him being an experienced squad player doesnt matter. That's the reason we extended Mata, not Sanchez.

Also I'll have to disagree with your list. Rossini looked quality and was undoubtedly hurt by injuries, but Greenwood just looks better IMO. Of course nobody is a guarantee, I never said that. What I'm saying is he has the potential to be a brilliant player, and this very season it's not unrealistic for him to become a valuable squad player. If he doesnt cut it, well then his current level is still more useful than Sanchez, and at least we gave them the chances rather then giving games to Sanchez which doesnt help us on the pitch and certainly doesnt help off of it.
As things stand Alexis would be useful I guess. He might find some form. We're seriously short in attack. Do I expect him to have a significant role? Probably not. But can be useful and that experience would come in handy considering our state.

We don't really win anything from that deal. If the deal is to send him on loan for this year for 4m pounds I'd say it makes no sense...

crossy1686

career ending
We need him with Lukaku & no replacement brought in.

We’ve got such a lack of depth/quality stiker/attacking wise & a mediocre midfield that I can’t see us getting us top 4 at all.
At least Alexis has proven quality .

Would a stronger manager than Ole have demanded some quality additions?
When has Alexis proven any quality? Or any bargain bin, knock off, Chinese replica quality for that matter?
We’re better off taking a punt on a 15 year old at this point.

Enigma_87

You know who
Good point, but is " Mason not Good enough" still better than what we have seen from Sanchez
Absolute stab in the dark. So far he has played a bit part in three games with 0 goals to his name.

He's a top talent but by no means he will make it, let alone making it this year.

Rafaeldagold

When has Alexis proven any quality? Or any bargain bin, knock off, Chinese replica quality for that matter?
We’re better off taking a punt on a 15 year old at this point.
I mean that’s just ridiculous. He was class for Arsenal (hence why Man City wanted him too)
& he’s shown glimpses here, I think it’s a confidence issue & us not really having a system of play & a role for him. Let’s see if we can see the best of him this year , we need to as we barely have a strike force now

Patchbeard

Obviously not great to pay him to play for someone else...but would giv Greenwood and Gomes more game time rather than being obliged to try and fit Alexis back in when fit, which will inevitable makes us worse, regardless of how well/badly the team is doing because he's already past it. Basically anything to never have to him play for us ever again is great. No more headless kick and rush and ridiculously pointless chipped through balls that work 0% off the time, every time.

MAME DIOUF 32

Sad as it is, I don't think we can let him go. With my ultra pessimistic crystal ball, I can see injuries making an out of form Mason Greenwood our only realistic striking option, leaving us with no option but to keep destroying his confidence by making him play every week through his dry spell.

Enigma_87

You know who
Obviously not great to pay him to play for someone else...but would giv Greenwood and Gomes more game time rather than being obliged to try and fit Alexis back in when fit, which will inevitable makes us worse, regardless of how well/badly the team is doing because he's already past it. Basically anything to never have to him play for us ever again is great. No more headless kick and rush and ridiculously pointless chipped through balls that work 0% off the time, every time.
I don't get this. Alexis is not a starter. He will make no difference to Mason or Gomes development. If the latter play well they will start, as shown in preseason. If they don't however why not keep him, rather than pay 70% of his salary to play somewhere else?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
What would truly be sad is if nobody's willing to take him off our hands, even after subsidizing most of his wages.

Enigma_87

You know who
Sad as it is, I don't think we can let him go. With my ultra pessimistic crystal ball, I can see injuries making an out of form Mason Greenwood our only realistic striking option, leaving us with no option but to keep destroying his confidence by making him play every week through his dry spell.
Of course this. A 17 years old thrown in the deep with a mess of a midfield and short attack, no creativity or service would do 'wonders' for his confidence.

In Rainbows

I don't get this. Alexis is not a starter. He will make no difference to Mason or Gomes development. If the latter play well they will start, as shown in preseason. If they don't however why not keep him, rather than pay 70% of his salary to play somewhere else?
Because it's better to gain some slightly extra funds and get a distraction away from the club. There is no point in having him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To me Rossi looked as good as Mason in the youth set up if not more, yet didn't really made the step. Januzaj looked great and nailed on to make it(also with good head on his shoulders), Kiko Macheda was also an all round versatile striker and looked like a fantastic prospect for a month in PL, Welbeck... There are many names that you would find comparable to Mason, and whilst he is no doubt a talent and probably make it at the highest level that's not a certainty.

What I'm arguing is that you need senior players when you are short in a certain position. I'm not against selling Alexis, but replace him - don't just remove yet another senior member and doing nothing.

You don't throw kids just like that in the deep. You never know if they will cope with the pressure and expectations. And that's not imaginary expectations. Playing at youth level and stepping up for one of the biggest clubs in the world is a big fecking deal - in front of 76000 week in and week out.
Rossi made the step up and was class for all the teams he played for. The only issue is that he was one of the most injury prone player that I have seen.

Alabaster Codify7

Worst transfer in history.

Give me a better example? Go?

Give me a guy on 400k a week who can't contribute a thing to his team and is getting loaned out with his wages covered.

100% worst transfer football has ever seen.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Just a word for the Tweeter. He's a credible, well connected journo and should be taken seriously.

USREDEVIL

My word has this turned sour. From exciting talent signed by United with a piano playing introduction to "please take him off our hands, we'll fecking pay most of it for feck sake...."

Whew...I really would rather keep him in the squad since we're thin on attacking players with Lukaku gone (pun intended). He's experienced, has guile, and if he comes good will be useful, even if for squad rotation.

Enigma_87

You know who
Rossi made the step up and was class for all the teams he played for. The only issue is that he was one of the most injury prone player that I have seen.
Mason is still growing up. Accelerating his development like that and making him work out with the first team playing week in and week out might make him as injury prone as Rossi.

JPRouve

Scout

Give me a guy on 400k a week who can't contribute a thing to his team and is getting loaned out with his wages covered.

Since he isn't on 400k(to reach that he has to actually play and score goals), you could name Coutinho who has a comparable wage and was purchased for 120m. And then there is plenty of transfers that are as bad when you consider the contribution and the fees involved like Mahrez, Mangala, Fred.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Surely if it's true it's to put him in the shop window. If he managed a respectable season in serie A there might be people willing to take him off our hands next summer.

BlueHaze

I wish I could but really I can't. Considering the circumstances (his production, wages, injuries) There's really not a worse transfer I could ever think of. If you think about it pretty much every single signing Jose made bar Lindelöf and Pogba has been nothing but a waste. Mkhi fecked off to Arsenal for someone who ended up being worse, Bailly's career pretty much already over at 25, Lukaku a waste of money and now also gone, Fred an absolute disaster and then we have Alexis to top it off. So much money wasted for nothing..

edcunited1878

No point in letting him leave if United are paying any portion of his wages.

At the very least, play him when possible or when it makes sense to take the load, pressure and expectations off Greenwood. Maybe try him in the hole when needed. He's been good when playing centrally for United in patches, but then his body breaks down and he's out weeks on weeks.

He's a good distraction to have when results don't go their way or if Greenwood, Gomes, Rashford, Martial, etc. have a poor match and Sanchez is average. He can take the "blame" and be the intended/unintended shield for the young players when the criticism comes along.

In Rainbows

Mason is still growing up. Accelerating his development like that and making him work out with the first team playing week in and week out might make him as injury prone as Rossi.
A lot of 18 year olds (he will be for most of the season) play for the first team. In order to replace Sanchez he doesn't need to score a bunch of goals. He needs to score what, 3 goals? It's not like Sanchez was some mainstay smashing in goals. His scoring and general play has been awful for 1.5 seasons.

USREDEVIL

I wish I could but really I can't. Considering the circumstances (his production, wages, injuries) There's really not a worse transfer I could ever think of. If you think about it pretty much every single signing Jose made bar Lindelöf and Pogba has been nothing but a waste. Mkhi fecked off to Arsenal for someone who ended up being worse, Bailly's career pretty much already over at 25, Lukaku a waste of money and now also gone, Fred an absolute disaster and then we have Alexis to top it off. So much money wasted for nothing..
Falcao?? Pretty close i reckon.

JPRouve

Scout
Not really, there is nothing to support that, players are unique and their injury records are personal. Also he will be 18 in less than 2 months, we aren't talking about a player just entering the academy, he isn't that young and there are plenty of players who start playing a decent amount of games at that age, in all leagues. Henry, Sterling, Hazard, Ronaldo, Messi and many other players among famous attackers.

Adamsk7

So interestingly I know someone that knew Alexis personally when he was at a previous club. Hasn’t really said too much about him but he did say that he was a born winner and loved football so much that all he wanted was to play every minute of every game. He guessed around the time we bought him that it was to do with play time because he also isn’t money driven (seems absurd, I know!).

now I know nothing about his current situation but if I put myself in the shoes of the character I’ve been told about, I’d be feeling pretty crap that my body is giving up on me and I can’t play to the same high level. At that point, I’d probably be a little disruptive and a negative influence almost without wanting to be (I’ve also heard he’s a very reserved character so harder to get to know).

my bet is he has said he wants away.

KW2006

I guess it was when we believe we were signing at least 1 attacker(Dybala/Mandzukic). Now we need him as an squad option.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s the best thing for his career to move somewhere he can play and try to rebuild a reputation. It won’t happen at United

MrPooni

https://romapress.net/2019/08/09/roma-offered-manchester-uniteds-alexis-sanchez/

But yeah completely contradictory to what Ole said this morning
The same Ole that said we'd be ruthless in the transfer market after a run of terrible performances and that a lot of underperforming players would be sold? That guy? I adore him as a player but it feels like he was largely brought in as a PR friendly company man after the likes of Jose and Van Gaal were too public about our internal issues and I say that as someone who has spent the past few seasons giving Woodward the benefit of the doubt.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The same Ole that said we'd be ruthless in the transfer market after a run of terrible performances and that a lot of underperforming players would be sold? That guy? I adore him as a player but it feels like he was largely brought in as a PR friendly company man after the likes of Jose and Van Gaal were too public about our internal issues and I say that as someone who has spent the past few seasons giving Woodward the benefit of the doubt.
To be honest he also said Lukaku was injured and that we had had no offers.
Basically he isn't going to be telling the press anything when it comes to transfers out, you will find out when its done. I am all for that

BigRon1985

You know what’s going to happen don’t you? Sanchez goes to Roma and he suddenly starts scoring 30 goals a season again.......:(

ManchesterYoda

I was thinking we should give Sanchez a chance to prove himself, because he's an excellent player when at his best. I've changed my mind though. The reason is I don't think he cares about Manchester United at all. I don't use social media, but I just had a quick look on his twitter and saw there is nothing whatsoever about us. Why is that? Whatever people might think of our average players, at least they care about the club they pay for. Then we have Sanchez, on the biggest wages of everyone too.
I don't want to loan him though, no way. Let him waste the end of his career rotting on the bench of the under 23s. Don't give him a single minute of play time. If there is an offer to buy, anything reasonable, take it, don't haggle on this one, just get rid of him.

pascell

You know what’s going to happen don’t you? Sanchez goes to Roma and he suddenly starts scoring 30 goals a season again.......:(
With Lukaku and Sanchez it's not about how many they score or how they play, it's about getting their bad attitudes away from our youngsters and creating a positive environment and togetherness.

JPRouve

Scout
With Lukaku and Sanchez it's not about how many they score or how they play, it's about getting their bad attitudes away from our youngsters and creating a positive environment and togetherness.
Sanchez has a bad attitude?