Alexis offered to Roma

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Why offer to a club who does not have much money anyways? Surely there must be richer clubs who‘d be interested

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why offer to a club who does not have much money anyways? Surely there must be richer clubs who‘d be interested
Has it been reported that he was specifically offered to Roma?

0161_UNITED

Probably Italian tabloid crap, but if not, do it. He’s just a distraction at this point.

SteveW

I'd love if this is true. He doesn't suit Ole's football. We won't miss his 2 goals a season.

It's far better for us to pay half his wage for a season and get him in the shop window while he has some value left. If he has a decent season some club will take him. If he rots on the bench he will become completely worthless and cost the club half a million a week for another 3.5 years.

Dread Devil

I would be delighted if this was true, even if we had to pay half his wages....that’s saving half of his wages and we would probably get a loan fee as well.

It’s a lot of money we would save as well as putting him in the shop window. If he recovers his form we would have the option of taking him back at the end of the loan.

If not the youngsters can get some much needed game time. We can see if the likes of Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are ready. If it’s too soon we can buy a considered replacement in Jan or next summer.

He has been such a huge disappointment, it’s time to move on. He means nothing to me as a United player, I have no attachment to me.

SteveW

I don't get this. Alexis is not a starter. He will make no difference to Mason or Gomes development. If the latter play well they will start, as shown in preseason. If they don't however why not keep him, rather than pay 70% of his salary to play somewhere else?
Do you think giving Alexis the odd game here and there will make it easier to sell him? That's a sure fire way to reduce his value and make sure we're stuck with him fr the duration of his contract.

He's completely unsuited to the style Ole wants to play. He doesn't score goals. Keeping him here serves no purpose for us or him.

Dve

This really makes no sense. Maybe he was offered to Rome before the transfer window closed, but United cannot possible give away one of the very few options left upfront.

TheRedHearted

Because it's better to gain some slightly extra funds and get a distraction away from the club. There is no point in having him.
Our lack of depth up top could say otherwise.

You know what’s going to happen don’t you? Sanchez goes to Roma and he suddenly starts scoring 30 goals a season again.......:(
That’s the best cause scenario. Does a year there and gets his mojo back. We sign some new midfielders and he comes back with another two years on his contract.

I was thinking we should give Sanchez a chance to prove himself, because he's an excellent player when at his best. I've changed my mind though. The reason is I don't think he cares about Manchester United at all. I don't use social media, but I just had a quick look on his twitter and saw there is nothing whatsoever about us. Why is that? Whatever people might think of our average players, at least they care about the club they pay for. Then we have Sanchez, on the biggest wages of everyone too.
I don't want to loan him though, no way. Let him waste the end of his career rotting on the bench of the under 23s. Don't give him a single minute of play time. If there is an offer to buy, anything reasonable, take it, don't haggle on this one, just get rid of him.
This is not only extremely Yoda like (is that you, Darth Sidious?). The loan could be great for him and staying could be great for him.

Playing somewhere else might be perfect for him. Our lack of people up top is worrying. Weird time for the board to bring this up. If it went through before deadline day Mandzukic would probably be here.

kiristao

I will be very surprised if he goes. I do believe he might do well in this more attacking formation we are looking to play.
He is good technically, works hard and can interchange positions to play in any of the front 3 positions.

Greck

No point in letting him leave if United are paying any portion of his wages.

At the very least, play him when possible or when it makes sense to take the load, pressure and expectations off Greenwood. Maybe try him in the hole when needed. He's been good when playing centrally for United in patches, but then his body breaks down and he's out weeks on weeks.

He's a good distraction to have when results don't go their way or if Greenwood, Gomes, Rashford, Martial, etc. have a poor match and Sanchez is average. He can take the "blame" and be the intended/unintended shield for the young players when the criticism comes along.
Great idea. With Young out of the starting lineup we'll need a performance thread to vent. Oh well there's Matic. He has no shortage of shyte performances

SteveW

I’d still rather have him in the club than Lingard.
Lingard is not high quality but he offers miles more than Sanchez to Ole as he's perfectly suited to his fast transitioning, high pressing system. And he actually looked really sharp in preseason scoring a couple of good goals and pressing like crazy.

I'd be hugely surprised if he doesn't play on Sunday.

Ziggy Starduster

Sanchez will score a dozen league goals this season. I'm sure of it.
He will play through the middle and be ok. We need him for squad depth anyway. He's going nowhere.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The only way this can remotely make sense is if he is absolutely toxic in the squad. It’s hard to say because absolutely no one on here really knows and Ole will never publicly say it.

Based on all the various % of wage we will save it looks like 5-9mil over 9 months.

Wouldn’t you pay 5-9 mil to have a semi compatible backup to rash/tony/Greenwood?

No logic in this if he isnt toxic.

George The Best

I’m pretty certain this is a wind up guys. I posted the original link back on page 6. It originated from somebody called Tele Radio Stereo in Italy. Still none of the British press have picked it up.

Goku23

This is crazy we cant lose another player as bad as hes been I guarantee there will be a point in the season we could really do with him due to injuries or something else and he wont be here if this happens

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So ship him out leaving us with

Rashy
Martial

Greenwood
Some winger kids.

Imagine if the first two get injured at the same time..

Yes when Rooney and martial were out that's how rashy got in to start with but it's still huge risk.

ravi2

Worst transfer in history.

Give me a better example? Go?

Give me a guy on 400k a week who can't contribute a thing to his team and is getting loaned out with his wages covered.

100% worst transfer football has ever seen.
You are probably right, I cannot think of a worse transfer.

dogwithabone

I just don’t get the continual slating of Sanchez. FFS it’s a new beginning, he’s undoubtedly a quality footballer so just get behind him and at least help in trying to get his form back. It’s pathetic to remain bitter towards him because he hasn’t yet delivered, so what that’s gone. Embrace the bloke and try and help him rather than get on his back.

Sanchez7

I just don’t get the continual slating of Sanchez. FFS it’s a new beginning, he’s undoubtedly a quality footballer so just get behind him and at least help in trying to get his form back. It’s pathetic to remain bitter towards him because he hasn’t yet delivered, so what that’s gone. Embrace the bloke and try and help him rather than get on his back.
Well said. The obsession in vilifying him is ridiculous. He is clearly trying his best and if anyone’s is at fault, it is Jose and Woody for signing and paying a crazy amount to a player that was on the decline.

Given the inexperience of our current forward line, he may be able to turn things around but the completely negativity surely can’t be helping.

M15 Red.

I'd block any move for Sanchez and hang on until January. If he can find some fitness and form then he might become an asset for us. If he doesn't, then I guess some clubs will still be interested given we're allegedly ready to pay the majority of his wages anyway. Those few months could allow us to assess what contribution Sanchez can make along with what Rashford Martial Greenwood etc have shown so far.

M15 Red.

Agree 100%. New season, new slate. Supporters in the ground will get behind him regardless so as long as he avoids social media he'll feel nothing but love. If he's still making no contribution by January then I'd have no problem with him going out on loan or being sold as long as Utd add a body to replace him if need be.

Marnsky

I wish I could but really I can't. Considering the circumstances (his production, wages, injuries) There's really not a worse transfer I could ever think of. If you think about it pretty much every single signing Jose made bar Lindelöf and Pogba has been nothing but a waste. Mkhi fecked off to Arsenal for someone who ended up being worse, Bailly's career pretty much already over at 25, Lukaku a waste of money and now also gone, Fred an absolute disaster and then we have Alexis to top it off. So much money wasted for nothing..
And Matic is well.... Matic

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Well said. The obsession in vilifying him is ridiculous. He is clearly trying his best and if anyone’s is at fault, it is Jose and Woody for signing and paying a crazy amount to a player that was on the decline.

Given the inexperience of our current forward line, he may be able to turn things around but the completely negativity surely can’t be helping.
Is he clearly trying his best? Not at all what its looked like the past 9 months...

dogwithabone

Is he clearly trying his best? Not at all what its looked like the past 9 months...

Yes I think he is trying his best. For whatever reason - very likely a misfiring team as much as anything - it hasn’t happened in a football sense but show me some proper evidence of him not trying. Show me obvious footage of the rest of the team grafting like mad and Sanchez downing tools and bumming around. It’s mythical and jumping on bandwagons to say he is not trying.

Just out of interest do you think Pogba and Martial have strained every sinew and given every single bit they can in every match that they’ve been involved in alongside Sanchez ?

Enigma_87

You know who
Not really, there is nothing to support that, players are unique and their injury records are personal. Also he will be 18 in less than 2 months, we aren't talking about a player just entering the academy, he isn't that young and there are plenty of players who start playing a decent amount of games at that age, in all leagues. Henry, Sterling, Hazard, Ronaldo, Messi and many other players among famous attackers.
Neither of those were expected to be a key players for their teams though and in many of those examples they went to a teams that were well build and would ease their transition.
Also we don't know how his injury record will look as of now as he is just entering the first team. It's a big unknown at the moment and it can go either way. Rossi for example wasn't that injury prone in the youth setup from memory.

As I said it will be different regime to what he is used so far and no doubt he will bulk up considering he will be playing against more physical defenders compared to youth level.

A lot of 18 year olds (he will be for most of the season) play for the first team. In order to replace Sanchez he doesn't need to score a bunch of goals. He needs to score what, 3 goals? It's not like Sanchez was some mainstay smashing in goals. His scoring and general play has been awful for 1.5 seasons.
They play part time, not full time and the expectations are different, especially coming through at a top team. Sanchez was injured in the last 1.5 seasons a lot and played in differen, dysfunctional set ups. The same could happen to Mason who can be labeled "shit" soon enough. We're very short in attack. If we are to replace Sanchez I have nothing against even let him go on a free, however with the window shut I really don't see the point here.

Do you think giving Alexis the odd game here and there will make it easier to sell him? That's a sure fire way to reduce his value and make sure we're stuck with him fr the duration of his contract.

He's completely unsuited to the style Ole wants to play. He doesn't score goals. Keeping him here serves no purpose for us or him.
He presses and works hard, I think you can't hold that against him. Martial is worse fit on paper in Ole's style as his work rate is pretty much non existent if we look at past seasons.

If Alexis finds some form it will be easier to sell him no doubt. At the moment it's the lowest point of his career so his value could only go up.

As I said I don't expect him to become a key member, but in a short attack he might be useful for the next season. Then sell him, release him or whatever at the start of the next window when we can actually bring some more numbers in.

SteveW

He presses and works hard, I think you can't hold that against him. Martial is worse fit on paper in Ole's style as his work rate is pretty much non existent if we look at past seasons.

If Alexis finds some form it will be easier to sell him no doubt. At the moment it's the lowest point of his career so his value could only go up.

As I said I don't expect him to become a key member, but in a short attack he might be useful for the next season. Then sell him, release him or whatever at the start of the next window when we can actually bring some more numbers in.
If he plays a just small squad role this season his reputation will be finished as a top footballer and nobody will take him off us. We can't just release him next summer without paying off the rest of his 400k a week contract for another 2.5 years. That's a huge amount of money. If he goes to Italy and plays in a slower league in a team more suited to him he will hopefully start to rebuild his reputation and generate some interest before he's well into his 30s and unsellable. We pay less of his wages and his value increases. Win/win.

I get what people are saying. Why pay him to play for somebody else when we are short of attackers? The real question though imo is whether keeping him here serves any real purpose. He's not a good fit for the team. He tries but hasn't the explosiveness required for Ole's style. He doesn't score goals. Comparisons with Martial fall flat on those 2 points. Martial at least has the tools to do what Ole wants.

By all accounts he's also a sulky fecker who doesn't really get on with any of his team mates. He's easy fodder for the media to highlight the problems in the club. He is used by other players as a benchmark in contract demands. The best message the club could put out for Ole's regime would be to get him as far away as possible.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Neither of those were expected to be a key players for their teams though and in many of those examples they went to a teams that were well build and would ease their transition.
Also we don't know how his injury record will look as of now as he is just entering the first team. It's a big unknown at the moment and it can go either way. Rossi for example wasn't that injury prone in the youth setup from memory.

As I said it will be different regime to what he is used so far and no doubt he will bulk up considering he will be playing against more physical defenders compared to youth level.
Greenwood isn't expected to be a key player too, unless I missed something.

Enigma_87

You know who
Greenwood isn't expected to be a key player too, unless I missed something.
From yesterday's presser Ole said Greenwood is expected to feature a lot, I understand this as being a being first teamer. Considering the competition for place I'm not surprised that he will be considered as such.
If he plays a just small squad role this season his reputation will be finished as a top footballer and nobody will take him off us. We can't just release him next summer without paying off the rest of his 400k a week contract for another 2.5 years. That's a huge amount of money. If he goes to Italy and plays in a slower league in a team more suited to him he will hopefully start to rebuild his reputation and generate some interest before he's well into his 30s and unsellable. We pay less of his wages and his value increases. Win/win.

I get what people are saying. Why pay him to play for somebody else when we are short of attackers? The real question though imo is whether keeping him here serves any real purpose. He's not a good fit for the team. He tries but hasn't the explosiveness required for Ole's style. He doesn't score goals. Comparisons with Martial fall flat on those 2 points. Martial at least has the tools to do what Ole wants.

By all accounts he's also a sulky fecker who doesn't really get on with any of his team mates. He's easy fodder for the media to highlight the problems in the club. He is used by other players as a benchmark in contract demands. The best message the club could put out for Ole's regime would be to get him as far away as possible.
I understand where you are coming from but even if he features less would his reputation become worse? I mean we can gain more than we can lose here. At least next year he can feck off to China with his reputation being completely finished. Some team would probably take him for a year or two.