g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

strandty

United were as short as 1/6 last night with city 4/1. United now 5/6 and city 10/11...lot of money being pumped on City for some reason?

spiriticon

He was only born some 1000 miles from where Di Maria was born, in a different country. But yeah, they're both South American so they must be the same. And of course South America is famous for being a wealthy region full of spoilt people.
Fine, spoilt South American FOOTBALLER

slyadams

My god, the image of Manchester United by so called experts and pundits is so bitterly biased … listen to almost everyone except Andy Gray here … especially George "I'd take the easiest route to a medal every time" Boatang and Richard "they've been rubbed off" Keyes :lol::lol::

Never thought I would say this, but Andy Gray makes a good point about why can't United close the gap like City did last year. The whole mentality of "team X are better this year and therefore they can't be caught next year" is a huge logical fallacy that shows an almost fundamental misunderstanding of sport.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Never thought I would say this, but Andy Gray makes a good point about why can't United close the gap like City did last year. The whole mentality of "team X are better this year and therefore they can't be caught next year" is a huge logical fallacy that shows an almost fundamental misunderstanding of sport.
Chelsea went from 10th to winning the league the next season.

Leicester went from 17th to 1st.

These are the last two league winners.

Acquire Me

I think its funny that City is taking the victim role. The media is just as crazy. What the feck is wrong with people?

Bosws87

United were as short as 1/6 last night with city 4/1. United now 5/6 and city 10/11...lot of money being pumped on City for some reason?
Thats just the whole of the caf betting against us from nervous disposition.

Trizy

Might be to do with the Liverpool result. People assuming Pep would get out his famous cheque book.

Adebesi

Why has nobody mentioned the history of United and the number 7 shirt, the fact that Sanchez could come in and be an immediate icon at one of the biggest if not the biggest club in the world, as if that wouldn't appeal to him?

Instead the majority of press and pundits seem to think Sanchez should to go to City to pick up a Premier League winners medal that he would have had literally no input into. And if he doesn't do that then he's greedy and solely driven by cash??! Not by playing at Old Trafford in front of 75,000 people. Not by playing for the club that's won more league titles than any other. Not by playing for a manager that's won the league in every country he's managed in. So we pay a bit more and offer him better terms, how is that different to ANY other transfer where more than one club is interested in a player?
The element of this that you havent mentioned is the type of football the two clubs play. I think that is a big part of why there was an assumption he would choose City over us. Whether we like it or not, objectively most people would say the football that City play is breathtaking. Mourinho has a reputation for playing anti football. That isnt a media construct, everyone on here accepted that as fact when he was at Chelsea, and a lot of people still accept it now. So when journalists ask why he would join us over City, yes there is an expectation among many they will win more trophies than us over the next few years - which may or may not be true - but there is also, I feel, bemusement among some that a footballer with the choice of playing in either system would choose to play in ours.

Just my read on it. As for Sanchez himself, if he does choose us over City it surely means he doesnt believe the hype that this City side are untouchable for years to come. With the squad we already have, plus him, plus another few signings in the summer, hopefully we can put up a better fight for the league next year. I also read somewhere that in the one season he played under Guardiola he found his complex tactical and technical instructions quite difficult. It may be that the counterattacking style Mourinho wants to play suits him better.

TsuWave

this saga and subsequent narrative would be an interesting case study. "why is he joining United?" like we are some sort of chinese league club

kotha

Why is even the BBC going with, City is his preferred destination but since they are not willing to match his wage or the fee,he's going to United..

It's like big sam saying Real Madrid or Barca are his preferred destination but since they are not offering it to him,he's going to stay at Everton for now..

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
This whole saga really is funny. Of course we'd be offering Sanchez a lot of money, he's a top player and deserves to be paid as such. But for years when we were on top, anyone that joined Chelsea or City were called mercenaries by United fans, but the media in general lauded them for picking the project, for trying to be part of the group chasing Manchester United.

Now, the only possible reason a player is choosing Manchester United is money. Nothing to do with our history, nothing to do with our manager, nothing to do with our facilities and playing in one of the most famous club grounds in the world. But also certainly nothing to with being part of a 'project', which has seen United aim to get back to the pinnacle of English football while going through a 5 year barren phase (while still collecting more major trophies than most clubs have in their history). No, the only possible reason he'd move here is money.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It's so funny.

The media and pundits: United not good enough and need to sign a better class of player if they want to challenge for the title

United: We want to sign the world class player Alexis Sanchez

The media and pundits: Sanchez shouldn't sign for united and be a guaranteed starter at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Instead he should sign for a side where he won't be first choice so he can get a championship medal by defult and because only City can ever win any trophy ever again.

Make up your minds journos and pundits, either United need better players and therefore they should be all over Sanchez, or they should just give up and accept a Liverpool style 27 years and counting mediocrity.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Simon Stone is probably struggling to accept how wrong he was on this transfer hence the City preferred destination part.

WPMUFC

this saga and subsequent narrative would be an interesting case study.

I honestly can't believe these kinds of twitter questions are still doing the rounds. Sam Lee has laid it all out.

Sanchez "playing for pep" is a myth. His whole driving desire, as of right now...IS LEAVING ARSENAL!

spiriticon

Is that an attempt to improve the validity of your point? If so, it fails.
There is no point i'm trying to make about their nationalities. I just put Sanchez, maybe, in the same category as Di Maria, Heinze and Tevez etc etc who all happen to be very good at football and very spoilt and just happen to be South American by utter, pure coincidence.

So, you can leave 'South American' out of the sentence and the general message still stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.