Alexis Sanchez | Udinese: No Deal Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
This is absurd, why isn't this over this is like a rollercoaster ride, one min he is in with a shout with Shitty, us, then Barca and for a little while Chelsea, then Barca again and back to United.

This is going on far too long and it is really ticking me off.
Because Barca are the only club that's in for him and after reckless spending in previous seasons now have to be a bit more frugal with the purse strings?

MiamiSpartan

A friend of mine saw the entire match and said he was not playing on the wings nor was he playing upfront.. Which begs the question where was he playing? I am going to watch a re-run of this match later today so I will be able to comment more then.. Until then I can tell you what he told me..

"Sanchez and Vidal are amazing.. The latter in his opinion being man of the match and Sanchez as the 2nd best player on the pitch.. Sanchez was playing quite deep almost like a playmaker in the 2nd half.. He was barely taking players on.. He was playing many 1-2's and played many through balls atleast 3 great ones that I can recall"
I watched the whole match and I'd say he played kind of like a wide forward. He was definitely playing further forward, but a lot of his play seemed to be further out wide. He liked going out to the right to get the ball and look to take on the defender and play some 1-2s with the more "official" winger.

I've sung Vidal's praises as well earlier in this thread, and in the short-lived Arturo Vidal thread (not sure why that thread got locked). He's pretty versatile. Traditionally has been more of a defensive mid, but really came on offensively this past season, getting 10 goals and 12 assists for Leverkusen. Last night, he primarily seemed to be in the middle during the first half, and in the second half was spending most of his time on the left. Nice header off the corner for the winner last night.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
A friend of mine saw the entire match and said he was not playing on the wings nor was he playing upfront.. Which begs the question where was he playing? I am going to watch a re-run of this match later today so I will be able to comment more then.. Until then I can tell you what he told me..

"Sanchez and Vidal are amazing.. The latter in his opinion being man of the match and Sanchez as the 2nd best player on the pitch.. Sanchez was playing quite deep almost like a playmaker in the 2nd half.. He was barely taking players on.. He was playing many 1-2's and played many through balls atleast 3 great ones that I can recall"
I also saw the whole match and I'm stunned about your friends comment's. Nobody on that pitch was "amazing". Not even close.

First they met a second string Mexico who was nowhere near the same team who won the Gold Cup (I saw that one too). Vidal was probably the best player out there but he was hardly close to anything we saw from Argentina and Brazil. He was to inconsistent and he didn't exact dominate his area. He was good against average.

If Sanchez have so much problems with a second string team then I just can imagine how it would look like against the top 5-6 in the PL. He started on the right wing and then floated around from right to left then he tried to pick up the ball close to his own half (like Messi) before he ended up in a "Rooney position".

He had one good chance early in the game when he was one on one with the keeper, but his finish was very poor. He started the game to take on his man but he was never able to create the "killer" pass, it was close but not 100%. A lot of times his "chicken runs" ended up with the ball up on row Z. His one touch passes was often hit and miss. I would be fun to see his stats from that game btw.

In the end he played like a offensive playmaker, and it was in this position he was more effective and produced some good passes. But at that time the Mexican players where all over the place.

He has loads of talent. His pace and dribbling skills are sometimes excellent but his vision and long range passing in this game was "hit and miss".

I look forward to see more of him. Could end up as a future star, but so far he has a long way to go.

MiamiSpartan

First they met a second string Mexico who was nowhere near the same team who won the Gold Cup (I saw that one too). Vidal was probably the best player out there but he was hardly close to anything we saw from Argentina and Brazil. He was to inconsistent and he didn't exact dominate his area. He was good against average.
Did you not watch the Argentina and Brazil games, as well? I thought both looked pretty mediocre (as teams, as well as individually), and neither were playing against good competition (Bolivia and Venezuela, respectively).

If Sanchez have so much problems with a second string team then I just can imagine how it would look like against the top 5-6 in the PL. He started on the right wing and then floated around from right to left then he tried to pick up the ball close to his own half (like Messi) before he ended up in a "Rooney position".

He had one good chance early in the game when he was one on one with the keeper, but his finish was very poor. He started the game to take on his man but he was never able to create the "killer" pass, it was close but not 100%. A lot of times his "chicken runs" ended up with the ball up on row Z. His one touch passes was often hit and miss. I would be fun to see his stats from that game btw.

In the end he played like a offensive playmaker, and it was in this position he was more effective and produced some good passes. But at that time the Mexican players where all over the place.

He has loads of talent. His pace and dribbling skills are sometimes excellent but his vision and long range passing in this game was "hit and miss".

I look forward to see more of him. Could end up as a future star, but so far he has a long way to go.
If your opinion of Messi was based on last year's World Cup, or the game against Bolivia, would you consider him anywhere near the best player in the world? You'd probably say the same thing, that he could end up as a future star, but has a long way to go.

Of course, I'm not saying that Sanchez is as good as Messi, but just pointing out how watching one game or one tournament doesn't necessarily tell you much. But you did say that you look forward to seeing more of him, so I know that you aren't writing him off based on that. Having watched quite a bit of him, I think that as he's starting to realize that he is the star of the Chile team, he may have been trying to do too much himself, which can lead to mistakes, wild shots, etc.

7even

Did you not watch the Argentina and Brazil games, as well? I thought both looked pretty mediocre (as teams, as well as individually), and neither were playing against good competition (Bolivia and Venezuela, respectively).

If your opinion of Messi was based on last year's World Cup, or the game against Bolivia, would you consider him anywhere near the best player in the world? You'd probably say the same thing, that he could end up as a future star, but has a long way to go.

Of course, I'm not saying that Sanchez is as good as Messi, but just pointing out how watching one game or one tournament doesn't necessarily tell you much. But you did say that you look forward to seeing more of him, so I know that you aren't writing him off based on that. Having watched quite a bit of him, I think that as he's starting to realize that he is the star of the Chile team, he may have been trying to do too much himself, which can lead to mistakes, wild shots, etc.
To set the record straight!

Alexis Sanchez is a huge talent. Probably one of the hottest prospect out there. But since Udinese put a €30+ price tag on his neck and labelled him a raw diamond he will be judged differently then for example Ashley Young.

With this price tag he is compared to Villa, Pedro, Affeley, De Maria, Nani, Nasri and so on. Maybe this is unfair but it's how it's works.

Not one depute his talent, maybe the opposite but so far he has only excelled in Serie A and a few internationals. That's why I'm hard in my judgement.

Let's wait and see. Time is on his side.

MiamiSpartan

To set the record straight!

Alexis Sanchez is a huge talent. Probably one of the hottest prospect out there. But since Udinese put a €30+ price tag on his neck and labelled him a raw diamond he will be judged differently then for example Ashley Young.

With this price tag he is compared to Villa, Pedro, Affeley, De Maria, Nani, Nasri and so on. Maybe this is unfair but it's how it's works.

Not one depute his talent, maybe the opposite but so far he has only excelled in Serie A and a few internationals. That's why I'm hard in my judgement.

Let's wait and see. Time is on his side.
Fair enough. It was just the comment that said that if he can't do it against a second string, how can he do it against the PL, especially when you could say something similar about most of the "stars" in this tournament after the first games.

As for the ones that you compared him to based on the price tag, I already think he fits in that group. I think Sanchez would do as good or better than Pedro in the same position with Barca. Affelay hasn't done anything more to prove himself than Sanchez, and I'd rate Sanchez on par with Nani, and better than Nasri. Just my opinion.

7even

Fair enough. It was just the comment that said that if he can't do it against a second string, how can he do it against the PL, especially when you could say something similar about most of the "stars" in this tournament after the first games.

As for the ones that you compared him to based on the price tag, I already think he fits in that group. I think Sanchez would do as good or better than Pedro in the same position with Barca. Affelay hasn't done anything more to prove himself than Sanchez, and I'd rate Sanchez on par with Nani, and better than Nasri. Just my opinion.
I don't agree regarding Pedro, Nani and Nasri.

The difference is their off the ball movements, defense, and decisions making. Sanchez reminds me of Nani in his first seasons with us. Raw unpolished who struggle to put everything together.

One of the most important things playing for a top team is your off the ball movement. Pedro is one of the best around and his contribution in that area is sometimes the reason why Messi can excel and produce so many goals. Both Nani and Nasri have improved the last two seasons regarding decisions making and with that comes a good end product.

To think that Sanchez from day one will outperform Villa and Pedro is naive. Even at United he will struggle to be a automatic starter. To be a good dribbler with pace is not enough.

That's why I think we did a wise move when we bought Young. Maybe not so talented but his overall contribution is more composed and suited to our set up.

Sanchez has everything in front of him and maybe in the future my judgement on him looks silly. But so far I'm in a safe corner.

VoetbalWizard

people keep underrating pedro IMO.

he does all the 'simple things' right. a coach's player. doesn't dwell on the ball, ultra clinical, moves into space, makes unselfish runs, has superb pace.....pedro is a top player to have when you have 'craques' all over the gaff like barca do.

fergieisold

people keep underrating pedro IMO.

he does all the 'simple things' right. a coach's player. doesn't dwell on the ball, ultra clinical, moves into space, makes unselfish runs, has superb pace.....pedro is a top player to have when you have 'craques' all over the gaff like barca do.
Do I sound stupid if I ask what a craque is? Otherwise I agree, pedro is -a great player!

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner

Seems like my friend was not all the wrong.. Everytime he picked up the ball primarily in the 2nd half he seemed to be in a very deep lying position.. Also quite a few passes that he picked up in that 2nd half there were atleast 3-4 Chile players already ahead of him.. I did notice the work rate he put in though..

ryan_forlan

Gullible

Seems like my friend was not all the wrong.. Everytime he picked up the ball primarily in the 2nd half he seemed to be in a very deep lying position.. Also quite a few passes that he picked up in that 2nd half there were atleast 3-4 Chile players already ahead of him.. I did notice the work rate he put in though..
very very impressive.

.J4Me$.

Could possibly play a midfield role looking at that. Could fill in on the wing/striker if needed aswell. He won alot of balls back and has a great work rate.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
11:20 Remember how Udinese were keen to avoid a bidding war for Alexis Sanchez? Well, club owner Giampaolo Pozzo has once again been splashed across Italian media this morning, now talking up the chances of the winger joining Napoli. "We will have to wait until the Copa America is over and then consider how many pretenders there are and how many clubs are really interested in Sanchez. We need to understand who the real suitors of this champion player are. We have spoken to two clubs but nothing serious has come out of it. Napoli are interested and (president Aurelio) De Laurentiis has made an important offer. Hence, we will wait until the end of the Copa America."
United website...Gossip section.

Only spoken to two clubs about him now apparently.

Perhaps the City, United, Real, Barca stuff was not real at all.

If Napoli are after him it looks like the others aren't that interested.

Crustanoid

Makes sense Udinese digging their heels in until the end of Copa America - if he lights up the tournament he'll cost more

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Makes sense Udinese digging their heels in until the end of Copa America - if he lights up the tournament he'll cost more
Can't see it. If reports are to be believed and we pulled out at around £27m while City offered £35m but were rejected by the player while Barcelona's Final offer of £30m wasn't accepted. That's the main clubs that could force the transfer upwards out of the picture regardless of wether he has a good Copa or not. It seems clubs have followed him for a while and have a set value for him.

It's not like someone like Hernandez who was nicked on the cheap and would have been worth 3x that after the World Cup.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Seems maybe only Barca and City were interested... atleast once the sort of fee that was required was made clear...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Can't see it. If reports are to be believed and we pulled out at around £27m while City offered £35m but were rejected by the player while Barcelona's Final offer of £30m wasn't accepted. That's the main clubs that could force the transfer upwards out of the picture regardless of wether he has a good Copa or not. It seems clubs have followed him for a while and have a set value for him.

It's not like someone like Hernandez who was nicked on the cheap and would have been worth 3x that after the World Cup.
Hernandez would've been worth £20m after the World Cup?

MiamiSpartan

I think they're hoping to use a good tournament by Sanchez to try to show Barca that he's worth more.

I don't think it's that Barca has set no more than a 30 million value on him. I think it's that they're trying to get him on the cheap. Just as they are with Cesc. They're using the fact that it is known that those players WANT to go to Barca. And they're also probably playing each other off of one another. If the Cesc deal doesn't go through, then I think Barca are fine upping their bid for Sanchez.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I watched the whole match and I'd say he played kind of like a wide forward. He was definitely playing further forward, but a lot of his play seemed to be further out wide. He liked going out to the right to get the ball and look to take on the defender and play some 1-2s with the more "official" winger.

I've sung Vidal's praises as well earlier in this thread, and in the short-lived Arturo Vidal thread (not sure why that thread got locked). He's pretty versatile. Traditionally has been more of a defensive mid, but really came on offensively this past season, getting 10 goals and 12 assists for Leverkusen. Last night, he primarily seemed to be in the middle during the first half, and in the second half was spending most of his time on the left. Nice header off the corner for the winner last night.
That's what I like about Vidal, his versatility. Really impressive how he seamlessly transitioned from left back to centre mid for Chile in Bielsa's 3313 and his quality as an attacking force was all to see last year as it was in the u20 World Cup.

To think that Sanchez from day one will outperform Villa and Pedro is naive. Even at United he will struggle to be a automatic starter. To be a good dribbler with pace is not enough.
That is not simply what Sanchez is; he's a very good passer, he works extremely hard, he's got a great first touch and overall he's shown potential as a playmaker, forward and wide player. What you're saying about him may be fair on the basis of the 10 games you've seen of him, but you're doing him a great disservice as an overall player IMO. More than that, you're being very unfair with regards to how he's developed as a player in the past year. The player you're talking of only shows up on a few occasions now, it was who he was regularly up until then but he is developing consistency and he is a constant influence.

In his first season in Udinese, he was one of the nominees for best u21 players in Serie A, but he still only started 18 games. He started 25 games in the next season, missing around a month and a half and finally establishing himself as a first team player. Last season he established himself as a key player for the first time, part of the reason they changed their formation was to get the best out of Sanchez. His passing's really developed because of this, and allying top class dribbling with very good passing is one of the most devastating combinations you can create in this game.

He's played as a forward or on either wing for Chile and he's played in the hole for Udinese, which establishes his versatility right across the front line. Not only his positional versatility, but he's shown positional discipline when he's needed to help out defensively (picking up the holding midfielder or tracking a dangerous fullback). He's obviously very quick and strong, along with his stamina and excellent work rate. Technically the only thing he needs to improve in is his striking/finishing, he's very gifted in terms of passing, dribbling and control.

He's got flaws to his game, of course, in that he's still a bit indulgent on the ball in terms of holding onto it for too long and being cocky in showing it to the defender, and because of this he does lose it a frustrating amount. He's a little bit rash as a tackler too. These are minor things though, this level of scrutiny and criticism really isn't necessary or useful for a player who's only just 22 and has only really had two and a half seasons in European football. What matters is the potential he's shown in a variety of areas, the quality he possesses, not some minor criticisms that will become even more and more minor as time goes on.

Barcelona signing Sanchez would annoy me, I must say. They're not losing any of Pedro's excellence in pressing - one of the keys to him being in the team, IMO - and they're getting an upgrade in attacking quality. They're adding a player with even more pace to the team, a player even more comfortable in quick passing exchanges and a player who will require double marking - part of Pedro's success was him at times having no-one marking him, and making use of that to devastating effect with his movement - and a player who quite simply will provide another creative spark to the team.

Brwned

Looks like 7even might be made to look silly even earlier than he thought...nah, very good game from him today, should show at least that he's not just a dribbler who can run really fast. I don't think his dribbling is as prominent as his passing, personally.

7even

I must say. They're not losing any of Pedro's excellence in pressing - one of the keys to him being in the team, IMO - and they're getting an upgrade in attacking quality. ...part of Pedro's success was him at times having no-one marking him.
This is absurd. A couple of month ago I had to defend Sergio Busquets (as a player, not the play acting cnut), four days ago it was Messi (who's far from my favoruite, I'm a Ronaldo fanboy) and today I have to sing praises for another diving freak. Who's next..

OK! Right. Where should I start? You write "excellence in pressing - one of the keys to him being in the team" then"no-one markin him". WTF Evra! Look what you did with your poor marking. I show you last seasons stats from the "pressing" guy no one marking.

41 games 23 goals 10 assist (24 La Liga 8 UCL 2 WC 7 Spa Cup)
Only 23 years old he also won one WC, one Super Cup, one UCL and one Esp Cup. I agree - he needs to be replaced.

This guy score goals with both feet, right left, it doesn't matter. He runs unselfish in vertical channels or outside in/inside out to create space for his team mates. His first touch is brilliant and his decisions making is great for such a young man. He works ethic couldn't be better and best of all he do what his manager tell him. No fuss.

I know you like Sanchez but you should had picked someone else to downgrade. Pedro....what the feck.

he's a very good passer, he works extremely hard, he's got a great first touch and overall he's shown potential as a playmaker, forward and wide player.
I agree! He was that player against Uruguay. Great goal. Superb passing. Against Mexico he was less of all above.

he's shown positional discipline when he's needed to help out defensively (picking up the holding midfielder or tracking a dangerous fullback). He's obviously very quick and strong, along with his stamina and excellent work rate. Technically the only thing he needs to improve in is his striking/finishing, he's very gifted in terms of passing, dribbling and control.
I agree regarding his attacking skills. His defensive discipline could be better. And as a young player with potential he also needs luck and the right environment. With this he can be a world beater. But only future can tell.

He's got flaws to his game, of course, in that he's still a bit indulgent on the ball in terms of holding onto it for too long and being cocky in showing it to the defender, and because of this he does lose it a frustrating amount. He's a little bit rash as a tackler too. These are minor things though, this level of scrutiny and criticism really isn't necessary or useful for a player who's only just 22 and has only really had two and a half seasons in European football. What matters is the potential he's shown in a variety of areas, the quality he possesses, not some minor criticisms that will become even more and more minor as time goes on.
We are also in agreement regarding this. And if Carroll is worth 35m then Sanchez is a bargain for €30m.

Can we buy him for €30m then OK, let's go. But first we need to sell Berba. But as far as we know he want to play for Barcelona and there is no way we can outbid City. So in reality we can only dream.

Brwned

I find it really difficult to judge Pedro because I just can't imagine him outside of Barcelona, outside of the niche role in the team that he's found himself in. He's there to be a decoy runner, to benefit off the decoy runs from the central striker, to attack the space on the inside of the fullback and centre back and provide an incisive individual threat. He does all of this very well because of intelligent and largely selfless movement, strikes the ball well and is a competent passer, but I struggle to see his quality beyond this.

Maybe I'll see what parts of his game I was ignorant to when he gets a chance in the Spanish national team, or how I was simply ignorant to just how useful his current contribution is when he has some real competition for his place in the Barcelona squad this coming year, but all I see is a more goal/attack-orientated Park or a more technically gifted Kuyt.

The 'no marking' comment wasn't meant to be taken so literally, I was just saying how he benefited from Messi and at times David Villa/Eto'o occupying two men at a time and Pedro often took advantage of this to slip away from his own marker and get in on the blindside. As he did for the goal against us, with Evra being drawn to Messi... And I've no idea what was wrong with the pressing comment, he's hugely useful to Barcelona off the ball, it wasn't a dig. If Sanchez does take Pedro's place, which seems the most obvious swap in the immediate future, you'll be looking extra silly. I didn't say Pedro needs to be replaced, he's just the most obvious player to be replaced in that lineup and when they're looking at Sanchez and Rossi for big money it's surely something Barcelona have considered too...

7even

I find it really difficult to judge Pedro because I just can't imagine him outside of Barcelona, outside of the niche role in the team that he's found himself in. He's there to be a decoy runner, to benefit off the decoy runs from the central striker, to attack the space on the inside of the fullback and centre back and provide an incisive individual threat. He does all of this very well because of intelligent and largely selfless movement, strikes the ball well and is a competent passer, but I struggle to see his quality beyond this.

Maybe I'll see what parts of his game I was ignorant to when he gets a chance in the Spanish national team, or how I was simply ignorant to just how useful his current contribution is when he has some real competition for his place in the Barcelona squad this coming year, but all I see is a more goal/attack-orientated Park or a more technically gifted Kuyt.

The 'no marking' comment wasn't meant to be taken so literally, I was just saying how he benefited from Messi and at times David Villa/Eto'o occupying two men at a time and Pedro often took advantage of this to slip away from his own marker and get in on the blindside. As he did for the goal against us, with Evra being drawn to Messi... And I've no idea what was wrong with the pressing comment, he's hugely useful to Barcelona off the ball, it wasn't a dig. If Sanchez does take Pedro's place, which seems the most obvious swap in the immediate future, you'll be looking extra silly. I didn't say Pedro needs to be replaced, he's just the most obvious player to be replaced in that lineup and when they're looking at Sanchez and Rossi for big money it's surely something Barcelona have considered too...
So a six year older Villa is out of the question?

Brwned

In the immediate future, yes, I'd think so, simply because he's an excellent player while Pedro's just not at the same level.

With the high pressing game that they play it's handy to have another player who can provide that same energy and give the team options and a back-up, Pedro would be an excellent replacement for any of the three attackers but to me, ability-wise, he's not in the same class. Very effective though, he'll provide excellent competition.

7even

In the immediate future, yes, I'd think so, simply because he's an excellent player while Pedro's just not at the same level.

With the high pressing game that they play it's handy to have another player who can provide that same energy and give the team options and a back-up, Pedro would be an excellent replacement for any of the three attackers but to me, ability-wise, he's not in the same class. Very effective though, he'll provide excellent competition.
Well I'm not so sure. There have been some players who have struggle to adapt to Barca's style. Remember Ibra, Henry and you can also make a case for Villa. It's not so easy to adapt when a team is built around one player.

Sanchez has every chance to make it but a team with Messi also needs complement players. Sanchez could be (with some luck) a future star on his own. Just like Ronaldo. I'm not so sure his best place is together with Messi and Villa. A little bit one to many, if you know what I mean.

If Barca can recoup some money if they sell Villa, before he get's to old, they will consider this option. With Messi, Pedro, Affelay and Sanchez they have nothing to loose to get rid of Villa. Don't you think?

Let's hope he not ends up in Barcelona. Then the problem is solved.

Devil may care

He took his goal really well last night and put in a great cross that should have given Chile a second not long after. His passing game was also in good nick, he took responsibility for this team I thought.

Brwned

Well I'm not so sure. There have been some players who have struggle to adapt to Barca's style. Remember Ibra, Henry and you can also make a case for Villa. It's not so easy to adapt when a team is built around one player.

Sanchez has every chance to make it but a team with Messi also needs complement players. Sanchez could be (with some luck) a future star on his own. Just like Ronaldo. I'm not so sure his best place is together with Messi and Villa. A little bit one to many, if you know what I mean.

If Barca can recoup some money if they sell Villa, before he get's to old, they will consider this option. With Messi, Pedro, Affelay and Sanchez they have nothing to loose to get rid of Villa. Don't you think?

Let's hope he not ends up in Barcelona. Then the problem is solved.
I don't see why they'd sell Villa because of age, they bought him when he was a few months off turning 29.

Status
Not open for further replies.