Alfred Schreuder - Former Ajax Manager (No longer in talks with Leeds, returns to Albuquerque DEA)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is he still starting for your NT? I’d assume at left back because you have some wonderful CB’s to choose from.
Yes at left back, but he also plays in the centre sometimes. Any excuse to not drop him really. And yes, he is good on the ball, but if you think he was weak defensively at United, you should see him now :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How did he get the job to begin with... ..he coached about 50 games since 2015.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yes at left back, but he also plays in the centre sometimes. Any excuse to not drop him really. And yes, he is good on the ball, but if you think he was weak defensively at United, you should see him now :lol:
Shame, yeah I haven’t watched him that much since he left us outside of major matches but with the options you have in defence, he shouldn’t really be starting. Van Gaal is a big fan though, that much seems clear!

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
I think its because he was ETH's assistant at one point, plus he did pretty well with Brugge right before, although outside of Brugge, his record indicates mediocre at best, even when adding in the relative strength of his teams.

Strootman's Finger

He was. He also flip-flopped on his opinions about Antony and Martínez in the summer when it was becoming clear that they were leaving.

I feel sorry for him when United fans are clowning on him even under his sensible tweets, but he also likes to make a fool out of himself regularly :lol:
I took it as he was holding out hope they would keep the players and realistic when he realized they wouldn't.

It's a great account, nice guy, seems to know a good amount about football, took shit from thousands of United fans all summer long and always remained civil. I don't know if United fans are in a position to judge the fans of a club that has to deal with their entire team being pillaged every summer, and the fans of the clubs trying to take them talking shit to him all the time. It's a reality we don't have to deal with.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
He was the main assistant in the successful season of 18-19 under Ten Hag, with some thinking many of the ideas and personal coaching came from him, such as the way he coached Ziyech etc. Perhaps this tenure will see Ten Hag get more credits than he already did for the success behind Ajax. Then again, ETH's first half season had some bad spells as well and even his good spells had a few harsh beatings. I think ETH is more critical of himself and reflective, though, Schreuder seems to shrug things off a bit at the moment, so I don't know if he'll have the same skillset necessary to lead Ajax in the Champions League.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How are our resident Ajax fans feeling about Schreuder at this point in the season? (And at this point in this match, if you want.) I saw @Thoms and @AjaxNL are unhappy, but what about @BrilliantOrange, @Daslogisch, @Terranova, @AjaxCunian, @Ajaxsuarez - and whoever I'm forgetting. Teething problems (it's still early after all) or likelier to just be out of his depth at Ajax?

Strootman's Finger

As for Schreuder, I think Ajax, and to an extent United, kind of fecked him before he started. I thought it was a bad appointment, he doesn't have the CV to justify taking over a successful Ajax team. But they made the appointment, then spent the entire summer undermining him. He would come out and make strong statements about Martinez leaving, then Ajax sells, he would make a strong stance on Antony, and then news would come out in the background a deal was being worked on. And this went beyond the United signings, it was similar with Haller, and by the time he made comments about Kudus and Alvarez staying I didn't believe them for a second. He looked like he had no credibility and no say in how anything is done right from the get go.

And from a pure petty standpoint, I can't take someone serious with a fecking head like that. He looks like a cartoon supervillan come to life.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
As for Schreuder, I think Ajax, and to an extent United, kind of fecked him before he started. I thought it was a bad appointment, he doesn't have the CV to justify taking over a successful Ajax team. But they made the appointment, then spent the entire summer undermining him. He would come out and make strong statements about Martinez leaving, then Ajax sells, he would make a strong stance on Antony, and then news would come out in the background a deal was being worked on. And this went beyond the United signings, it was similar with Haller, and by the time he made comments about Kudus and Alvarez staying I didn't believe them for a second. He looked like he had no credibility and no say in how anything is done right from the get go.

And from a pure petty standpoint, I can't take someone serious with a fecking head like that. He looks like a cartoon supervillan come to life.
I totally agree. Megamind is clueless and I never ever wanted him at my club. He sucked at FC Twente and they were glad he left, sucked at Brugge with horrible football and is just nothing more than an assistant. This guy should have never became a coach.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid

I mean one of his nicknames is Megamind :lol: But come on, you're better off not taking him seriously because of his lack of reflection or get-go approach.
Although I do think things could have been better for him without those situations and the Ihattaren one too, who he seemed to connect with very well in preseason. Hope that guy gets out of his slumber, too, if possible.

I feel like the start of my response shows quite the hypocrisy :nervous:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Have huge respect for Ajax and always want them to do well but their coach is a twat.

Strootman's Finger

I mean one of his nicknames is Megamind :lol: But come on, you're better off not taking him seriously because of his lack of reflection or get-go approach.
Although I do think things could have been better for him without those situations and the Ihattaren one too, who he seemed to connect with very well in preseason. Hope that guy gets out of his slumber, too, if possible.

I feel like the start of my response shows quite the hypocrisy :nervous:
The second part of my comment was meant as a joke.

Good point about the Ihattaren situation, that looked like an easy solution to losing a lot of players, he was looking really promising in the spring and summer, a lot of buzz about him, then all kinds of craziness ensued. And I am sure a lot of that was felt at the club, these weren't small time people they were dealing with.

TheRedHearted

clubs always do that to make more money. Coaches say firmly they aren’t for sale

mu4c_20le

Can't believe so many thought we shouldn't have got rid. Makes Lindelof look like the Hulk

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was the main assistant in the successful season of 18-19 under Ten Hag, with some thinking many of the ideas and personal coaching came from him, such as the way he coached Ziyech etc. Perhaps this tenure will see Ten Hag get more credits than he already did for the success behind Ajax. Then again, ETH's first half season had some bad spells as well and even his good spells had a few harsh beatings. I think ETH is more critical of himself and reflective, though, Schreuder seems to shrug things off a bit at the moment, so I don't know if he'll have the same skillset necessary to lead Ajax in the Champions League.
He was also at Barcelona under Koeman. Ajax have an illogical boner over anything Barcelona related.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
How are our resident Ajax fans feeling about Schreuder at this point in the season? (And at this point in this match, if you want.) I saw @Thoms and @AjaxNL are unhappy, but what about @BrilliantOrange, @Daslogisch, @Terranova, @AjaxCunian, @Ajaxsuarez - and whoever I'm forgetting. Teething problems (it's still early after all) or likelier to just be out of his depth at Ajax?
I said from the beginning of the season I was not convinced of him. Quite clearly that hasn't changed. Not positively anyway. I could say I'm getting rather convinced he's unfit for the job.

A lot of new players, sure. There's however nothing left. With Ten Hag we also had a lot of player changes and there was always a decent basic level to fall back on. We're so terrible when the opponents put pressure on us, our attacking dynamic isn't nearly as surprising as it was and the pressure we put on our opponents is weak as well.

I think it's time for him to go. I'm always for giving managers time, but in this case there's just nothing that gives confidence for the future. At this point Peter Bosz would be an improvement, eventhough his track record after Ajax isn't very convincing either (always seems to fall into the same trap). Nevertheless I'd take him over Schreuder at this point.

Schreuder made a huge mistake in taking Brobbey off in favor of Kudus for the Rangers game. It worked out for that Rangers game, when Kudus was on fire. Afterwards Kudus did quite well individually, but the team hasn't been the same since. Now Brobbey's confidence is also gone.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I said from the beginning of the season I was not convinced of him. Quite clearly that hasn't changed. Not positively anyway. I could say I'm getting rather convinced he's unfit for the job.

A lot of new players, sure. There's however nothing left. With Ten Hag we also had a lot of player changes and there was always a decent basic level to fall back on. We're so terrible when the opponents put pressure on us, our attacking dynamic isn't nearly as surprising as it was and the pressure we put on our opponents is weak as well.

I think it's time for him to go. I'm always for giving managers time, but in this case there's just nothing that gives confidence for the future. At this point Peter Bosz would be an improvement, eventhough his track record after Ajax isn't very convincing either (always seems to fall into the same trap). Nevertheless I'd take him over Schreuder at this point.

Schreuder made a huge mistake in taking Brobbey off in favor of Kudus for the Rangers game. It worked out for that Rangers game, when Kudus was on fire. Afterwards Kudus did quite well individually, but the team hasn't been the same since. Now Brobbey's confidence is also gone.
Would Ajax take Bosz back you think? He had a great stint at the club, but it was rather brief (just the one season) and as you say, it's ultimately been a disappointment everywhere else. I'd say he doesn't seem like the kind of coach that will help Ajax in Europe - even if he might do well in the Eredivisie.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He's just Danny Murphy with a bigger head.

SAFMUTD

Like that song from breaking bad said "ese compa ya esta muerto nomas no le han avisado"

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
damnit, i was avoiding Ajax topics because i was ashamed, now you pulled me back in/
Schreuder has to go, very quick. And take Blind and Tadic with him

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Where has all this backlash come from all of a sudden?? Didn't he have the best start to the season of any manager in their history?

Given how decimated his squad was, surely turning against him this early is all kinds of madness.

Strootman's Finger

Where has all this backlash come from all of a sudden?? Didn't he have the best start to the season of any manager in their history?

Given how decimated his squad was, surely turning against him this early is all kinds of madness.
That was over a month ago, they've only had one win in the last six games. And the football isn't good, and he seems like a bit of a nob and looks like a giant one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
damnit, i was avoiding Ajax topics because i was ashamed, now you pulled me back in/
Schreuder has to go, very quick. And take Blind and Tadic with him
Sorry!

I find it interesting to read though - and it looks like everyone's agreed that he's not the one for Ajax. I wonder how Feyenoord would take it if Ajax hired Slot mid-season. :D