Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
With goalkeepers who are good with their feet mistakes like today are part of the price on the ticket. They will make these mistakes occasionally. It will become a major problem if a) it happens too regularly or b) it costs us in big games. I'm more concerned by our overall performance level atm rather than his error today.

montpelier

OK, I just had a look at this. It ''doesn't look on'' to me. What's he's trying to do. All wrong, innit.

Unless he wants to end up facing the dead ball line, and I don't really see how that would help very much.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
With goalkeepers who are good with their feet mistakes like today are part of the price on the ticket. They will make these mistakes occasionally. It will become a major problem if a) it happens too regularly or b) it costs us in big games. I'm more concerned by our overall performance level atm rather than his error today.
If he is good with his feet i must be closing in on world class, the guy can't even do a simple flick. Schoolboy error.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
If he is good with his feet i must be closing in on world class, the guy can't even do a simple flick. Schoolboy error.[/QUOTE
Yeah I heard you were our first choice but we had to settle for Alisson.

James Peril

What shocks me is that when he cocks up, he does have the chance to kick it out for a corner when his dummy fails, but he still wants to follow through. Not very intelligent...

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
They usually take some time to look like they're not being frivolous with the ball.

I've been watching "sweeper keepers" for years and I think only Bravo managed to start with the right mindset for Barcelona, usually the first months (sometimes even years) they make a lot of mistakes, it has to be hard to tune a defensive setup and build up plays from your goal with players that aren't used to it. VVD needs to do a better pass there, Gomez has to help him with his off the ball movement, the RB could be closer too... if adding another field player in your half of the pitch was easy, everyone would do it and sweeper keepers wouldn't cost a fortune.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think he made a few decent saves before his disco move, nothing really to see here. Liverpool will still be up there challenging easily IMO.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Just a cock up like most goalies do once in a while. He is a real step up from the usual calamity keepers Liverpool have had the past decade.

Never thought Utd fans only comfort would be a blip for Liverpool.

Thought Utd were a step above that before reading some comments on here.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just a cock up like most goalies do once in a while. He is a real step up from the usual calamity keepers Liverpool have had the past decade.

Considering Liverpool won makes it even more tragic.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Good post, very true.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
When was the last time a top goalie did what Alisson did?
Not the same mistake but, last season we saw Ederson look like a fool trying to sweep up against Donetsk. And Cech's first touch went directly to a Swansea player last season.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Not the same mistake but, last season we saw Ederson look like a fool trying to sweep up against Donetsk. And Cech's first touch went directly to a Swansea player last season.

And we also saw David De Gea have a terrible World Cup. He was terrible and that is coming from someone who thinks he is awesome personally.

It just seems that Utd fans get more pleasure from seeing their rivals cock up than looking at their own shortcomings.

Get behind your own team and don't cling to Liverpool and Man City cock ups as if you do it is going to be a hell of a long year for you guys.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Honestly, is laughing at our biggest rivals 70m keeper making a hilarious mistake surprising to you?
I guessing it depends where your coming from. It not like he isn't the only keeper to make a mistake, his first goal conceded in how many games? A bit of a cheap thrill tbh, if it had of mattered of course, sadly it didn't so I don't see why it matters.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And we also saw David De Gea have a terrible World Cup. He was terrible and that is coming from someone who thinks he is awesome personally.

It just seems that Utd fans get more pleasure from seeing their rivals cock up than looking at their own shortcomings.

Get behind your own team and don't cling to Liverpool and Man City cock ups as if you do it is going to be a hell of a long year for you guys.
Eh we are worst with our own players. Look at how quickly people here turned on Bailly.

haram

I guessing it depends where your coming from. It not like he isn't the only keeper to make a mistake, his first goal conceded in how many games? A bit of a cheap thrill tbh, if it had of mattered of course, sadly it didn't so I don't see why it matters.
It matters because it’s funny.

cyberman

Not that cheap, we've had a decade worth of laughter from their numerous number ones.
This is a Utd forum full of Utd fans so I don't understand the condescending tone of some posts when we laugh at our biggest rivals mistakes.
Is there no such thing as rivalry anymore?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Not that cheap, we've had a decade worth of laughter from their numerous number ones.
This is a Utd forum full of Utd fans so I don't understand the condescending tone of some posts when we laugh at our biggest rivals mistakes.
Is there no such thing as rivalry anymore?
When your winning yes, I'm not a
Liverpool believe me but I'm certainly not laughing at them this season. I'm not saying you can't I just don't see why, it seems like straw clutching to me.

vangagal

Its a cock up, he is Liverpool's, this is Manchester United fans forum and that was funny. Whats not to love?
Since when its forbidden to laugh and have a banter to rival players making cocked up like that?
Redcafe never cease to amaze me these days

pacifictheme

You shouldn't be. Winning when playing shit is what makes title winners.

United didn't win league titles because we were great every game. We won the title because when we were shit we still won.

haram

Liverpool believe me but I'm certainly not laughing at them this season. I'm not saying you can't I just don't see why, it seems like straw clutching to me.
Ok, Spurs have won nothing in donkey years so dont laugh at anything to do with Arsenal.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It was a funny mistake.

I get what you're trying to say, they won anyway so it didn't really matter, but we've heard so much over the top praise about him (particularly rated to how good he is on the ball) so it's pretty hilarious when he costs them a goal in that way.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Ok, Spurs have won nothing in donkey years so dont laugh at anything to do with Arsenal.
Lol what the feck has this thread got to do with Spurs? I'm simply saying Liverpool seem to have gotten their shit together, a viable threat. If his mistake had cost them points I'd be hooting to high heaven. Im fact he made a few decent saves so this mistake is irrelevant. Like I said, perspective.

Pace Abuser

Am I in the wrong thread? It's the Allisson thread. He cocked up. It's hilarious.
Or shall we be sadomachoists and look for every excuse to be sad and not laugh?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It was a funny mistake.

I get what you're trying to say, they won anyway so it didn't really matter, but we've heard so much over the top praise about him (particularly rated to how good he is on the ball) so it's pretty hilarious when he costs them a goal in that way.
But, as others have said it is part of the deal with ball playing keepers. Lloris, Ederson, Ter Stegen and even Neuer have made mistakes that lead to goals because they were trying to do too much.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It was a funny mistake.

So this one mistake overrules everything he has done right? Again how many clean sheets? If he had of cost Liverpool points I'd be ripping him to feck but it didn't, it's simply amusement for the mob.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
So this one mistake overrules everything he has done right? Again how many clean sheets? If he had of cost Liverpool points I'd be ripping him to feck but it didn't, it's simply amusement for the mob.
Nope, but I don't think he's done that much in a Liverpool shirt. He hasn't had a save to make you wouldn't expect from a PL goalkeeper, some of his passing/on the ball ability has been good but that's all. It's just amusing that this mistake came at a time when the hype was really building. Does it mean he's a bad keeper? No, I think he's very good, but errors like this are always quite funny.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
But, as others have said it is part of the deal with ball playing keepers. Lloris, Ederson, Ter Stegen and even Neuer have made mistakes that lead to goals because they were trying to do too much.
Yep, this is true. Lloris makes a number of errors a season, it is as you say part of the role. It's still quite funny though, just like it was when Lloris messed up for France, I think people are finding the Alisson one particularly amusing because he was being built up as this revelation and then ... oops.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Nope, but I don't think he's done that much in a Liverpool shirt. He hasn't had a save to make you wouldn't expect from a PL goalkeeper, some of his passing/on the ball ability has been good but that's all. It's just amusing that this mistake came at a time when the hype was really building. Does it mean he's a bad keeper? No, I think he's very good, but errors like this are always quite funny.
Again if they weren't performing how they are, I would be laughing,
unfortunately they are looking pretty strong while not even breaking a sweat. Hugo has made the same errors, dare I say worse so meh I don't get much satisfaction from Alisson's today tbh.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The guy has been heralded as the best keeper in the land. He's a cocky fecker who's been threatening to make a mistake for the last few games. He's tried things like this in other games and has just about got away with it. Every save the fecker makes is made out to be "world class" or "amazing" when in fact they're pretty flecking average.

He's been incredibly self-indulgent and has finally got his comeuppance. Not to mention he plays for those feckers, so there's going to be a degree of schadenfreude on a United forum. What's hard to understand about that?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Again if they weren't performing how they are, I would be laughing,
unfortunately they are looking pretty strong while not even breaking a sweat. Hugo has made the same errors, dare I say worse so meh I don't get much satisfaction from Alisson's today tbh.
I thought they were utter poo vs Brighton and Leicester, and really not that good against Palace either. They've got results whilst playing poorly against unimpressive teams, certainly that is commendable but I wouldn't say they 'aren't breaking a sweat' considering I think they were rather fortunate vs Leicester especially to not drop points. Vardy being available would have been a game changer I think.

I'm not laughing at Liverpool, just Alisson for a funny error.

Posh Red

People are laughing at something stupid the guy did. I think you're turning this into something it isn't.

haram

Lol what the feck has this thread got to do with Spurs? I'm simply saying Liverpool seem to have gotten their shit together, a viable threat. If his mistake had cost them points I'd be hooting to high heaven. Im fact he made a few decent saves so this mistake is irrelevant. Like I said, perspective.
It’s funny. I dont get what you dont understand about that.