g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Alisson Becker | Budding Target Man

Varun

Staff
And we also saw David De Gea have a terrible World Cup. He was terrible and that is coming from someone who thinks he is awesome personally.

It just seems that Utd fans get more pleasure from seeing their rivals cock up than looking at their own shortcomings.

Get behind your own team and don't cling to Liverpool and Man City cock ups as if you do it is going to be a hell of a long year for you guys.
:lol:

I think you may be overestimating, just a tad, the impact posters on redcafe have on things.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I just saw this I am not sure what if everyone else has but, former GK David Preece has an interesting take on Alisson's blunder.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I just saw this I am not sure what if everyone else has but, former GK David Preece has an interesting take on Alisson's blunder.

I like playing from the back, like keepers dribbling but you cant dribble every game, you just cant. Only reason why goalkeepers can dribble is because players dont expect them to so its easy, once players expect that dribble you are in trouble because no matter how good you are for a keeper, you are not good enough. Yes, its a mistake from Gomez judging by that picture and if indeed he didnt offer himself but that doesnt erase the fact that Alisson fecked up.

the_irish123

I said this before, its diffferent to try this in Serie A than to EPL. The players are much more athletic and can cover ground way faster. Ihenacho, Sterling, Lucas etc.

Javi

I said this before, its diffferent to try this in Serie A than to EPL. The players are much more athletic and can cover ground way faster. Ihenacho, Sterling, Lucas etc.
So players in the EPL are faster than in Serie A? Not really a good argument you're making there. Strange angle you're attempting too. So playing from the back for a keeper is different in the EPL or the Serie A because of the style of the league in general? With the player only having played for Liverpool and Roma respectively it seems far more intuitive to consider the playing style of the two teams first.

the_irish123

So players in the EPL are faster than in Serie A? Not really a good argument you're making there. Strange angle you're attempting too. So playing from the back for a keeper is different in the EPL or the Serie A because of the style of the league in general? With the player only having played for Liverpool and Roma respectively it seems far more intuitive to consider the playing style of the two teams first.
Yeah of course it changes from league to league. Even going out from your box on crosses is different, physicality etc.

Javi

Yeah of course it changes from league to league. Even going out from your box on crosses is different, physicality etc.
Well that's another point. Your argument was that EPL players are faster than Serie A players which quite frankly seems a bit far fetched.

Last edited:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
You'd think attackers would try to get him in, or at least be more aware of, this type of situation going forward. A bit like how everyone were shooting at De Gea from the halfway line when he first arrived here. The important thing for Alisson is how he responds.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Hard to argue with that to be honest. That will come with experience both within the system and may within the game as a whole for Gomez, but he should be splitting wide there and Alisson could just roll that out to the touchline.

the_irish123

Well that's another point. Your argument was that EPL players are faster than Serie A players which quite frankly seems a bit far fetched.
It really isn't... Almost every players says this too.

Javi

It really isn't... Almost every players says this too.
I think you're mistaking the pace of the game with the pace of a player. While I agree that the EPL is faster and more physical than the Serie A that doesn't mean that players are faster. Even if they were it's still a lot more plausible that it's due to players not yet having adapted to a ball playing GK simply because the difference in pace wouldn't be that big.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Hard to argue with that to be honest. That will come with experience both within the system and may within the game as a whole for Gomez, but he should be splitting wide there and Alisson could just roll that out to the touchline.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Klopp will be working with the defenders to make sure Allisson is given more options in future when he has the ball at his feet.

I like us playing out from the back & I hope what happened on Saturday doesn't mean our keeper now just punting it upfield where the ball then becomes a 50/50 ball. I was at Anfield back in March 2014 when we beat Spurs 4-0. I was sat in the upper Anfield Rd end & there was a point in the 2nd half where Mignolet was passing the ball to his defenders & they were passing it back to him. The fans around me were getting nervous & were urging him to 'get rid'. But he carried on, which in turn brought more Spurs players closer to our box in order to try & close us down. He then played it out to Flannagan who was playing as left-back, & then in the blink of eye we broke forward & scored our 3rd goal through Coutinho. Had our keeper followed the wishes of some of our fans then that goal would never have been scored.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He better not try that shit against City or Spurs. Their forwards press just like Liverpool.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He better not try that shit against City or Spurs. Their forwards press just like Liverpool.
Well when they play City his competition for Brazil's #1 spot is going to be on the other side. He can not have Ederson outshine him. So he needs to pull out all the tricks.

montpelier

That still-frame is devoid of context & creates a misleading impression though. OK, I don't suppose the GK is completely beyond helping but it's not far off & Gomez is probably entitled to be thinking ''I'll stay here in case he tops it back in this direction,''

This is a bettter view, if it works.

By context, I mean that they've been faffing around with it up near halfway for 3 passes or so. VVD's backpass isn't the best I don't suppose but it is also delivered deliberately wide of the goal (reasonable precaution) & could have a big 'hoof me' sign attached such is the size of the hint being dropped.

The angle for Gomez to split to is hardly there by the time the GK takes his touch & is nearly at the edge of the box when he attempts the turn - and then what does Gomez do anyway, turn & hoof with less angle again to work with & having been drawn out of the middle.

TAA would be better for doing that but he's stuck upfield where it all started essentially.

It's 100 % down to the keeper & it doesn't have to happen. His attempted turn is shit & it's not going to achieve anything anyway.

Idea 0/10
Execution 0/10

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So many posters waiting for the one mistake from him, so they can laugh out loud and let everybody know how average and overpriced he is. The same happened with van Dijk. One mistake, and this place went nuts in lol emojis.

Stupid mistake, and he really needs to sort it out, but imo the real funny thing about him is, that he has generally been class so far and has conceded one goal in four games despite a defence consisting of VvD and three youngsters :lol:
"Generally class" in 4 games despite an absolute howler?

I mean, you make it sound as if people have had to wait really long through months of brilliance for this complete clusterfeck.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I think they are just looking for excuse and blame someone else. There isn't a club in PL who values possession and playing out from back more than City and even Ederson hoofs the ball when he has no other option. It's not like Klopp will kill him if he kicks the ball long when he has no other option.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Not buying it that some people are trying to shift the blame on Gomez. Yes, he should've made himself available for an easy pass but even when he doesn't, the alternative is to boot it away rather than taking risks at that moment in that place. The goal was 99% on Alisson and no one else - just "happy" it happened in a game we still won, and hopefully he'll learn from it.

SpyLuke10

If nobody gives you an option for an easy pass, then you boot the ball down the pitch to the halfway line, and if you have any sort of vision about you then you'd aim for a teammate. That being said, moving to give a teammate an option is kind of like team sport 101 - one of the absolute basics of the game that you learn when you're a 10 year old.

Still, like I have said, this goal is 99.5% down to Allison's madness. De Gea would never make a mistake with the ball at his feet like that. His kick out to Fred against Brighton led to a goal but this was way worse.

Last edited:

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
i think this will be a learning exercise for defence and keeper. Things like this are bound to happen. Four games in with a new keeper so they're still learning each other's games. Good thing is it didn't cost points and hopefully a valuable lesson learned.

TheLiverBird

Not buying it that some people are trying to shift the blame on Gomez. Yes, he should've made himself available for an easy pass but even when he doesn't, the alternative is to boot it away rather than taking risks at that moment in that place. The goal was 99% on Alisson and no one else - just "happy" it happened in a game we still won, and hopefully he'll learn from it.
Indeed

Alisson complicated this situation, just boot it

He seemed to learn from it immediately, for the rest of the game, he kept it simple, and got rid quickly.

Its only 4 games in, but howler aside, with what he's been presented with over these 4 games, he's been bob on. He's clearly a super confident Keeper, his positioning as a keeper is phenomenal which is probably why it looks like he's not really been majorly tested in the 1st 4 games.

As its only early days, I can't really pull the sunshine out of his behind yet, but I can say so far, I've been happy with what I've seen.

Winrar

You shouldn't ever have to rely on your GK to execute tricks like that especially under pressure.

I know Alisson ain't 100% at fault for the goal as optimally Gomez should've made himself available for a pass like he said. But in that situation he should've realized to just keep it simple and clear the ball.

Long may this continue but I think Alisson will learn from his mistake.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Goalkeeper is a strange & difficult position to fill for a club with big ambitions. Allisson & Karius are roughly around the same age, & if you compiled a video of their best saves then you certainly wouldn't say there was almost a £70 million difference in their respective values. However, whereas Karius always held an aura of: 'I'm not really good enough to be here'. & despite some great saves in his time as our Number 1, he quite often looked as nervous as a box of frogs. But when you look at his replacement, & in terms of how he holds himself & comes across on the pitch, then there is no comparison in terms of who is the superior player. You get the impression that our defenders feel far more comfortable knowing he's got their backs, & that confidence will spread through the whole team. For sure he'll make more mistakes during his time at Liverpool - all top keepers have done in the past & will do so in the future - but we certainly look a far better outfit with him the side.

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
Goalkeeper is a strange & difficult position to fill for a club with big ambitions. Allisson & Karius are roughly around the same age, & if you compiled a video of their best saves then you certainly wouldn't say there was almost a £70 million difference in their respective values. However, whereas Karius always held an aura of: 'I'm not really good enough to be here'. & despite some great saves in his time as our Number 1, he quite often looked as nervous as a box of frogs. But when you look at his replacement, & in terms of how he holds himself & comes across on the pitch, then there is no comparison in terms of who is the superior player. You get the impression that our defenders feel far more comfortable knowing he's got their backs, & that confidence will spread through the whole team. For sure he'll make more mistakes during his time at Liverpool - all top keepers have done in the past & will do so in the future - but we certainly look a far better outfit with him the side.
Agreed. Also - moving to a new country with his family will have affected him. It takes time to settle and understand the team. We saw in De Gea's first season the impact of moving. Now he's establishing and is arguably the leagues best goalkeeper. Early days still, and hopefully he learns from this, but he does seem an upgrade on what we had, and in a position we badly needed to upscale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treble

His weakness is that he seems desperate to impress with his ability on the ball. He's more of a showpony than say Ederson.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think they are just looking for excuse and blame someone else. There isn't a club in PL who values possession and playing out from back more than City and even Ederson hoofs the ball when he has no other option. It's not like Klopp will kill him if he kicks the ball long when he has no other option.
Was going to say exactly this when I saw that Preece trying to blame Gomez and claim "why spend 70m if you're just going to hoof it". I mean he lives in a fantasy world if he thinks in every game they can always have a man in space and the pass will always be perfect. You have to have the wherewithal to realise you're in trouble and should just get rid at some point.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
hadn't seen this till just now. it was a really awful back pass but once he was in trouble he should have just booted it out for a corner. I haven't seen Cech's near own goal for Arsenal at start of season either.. or the supposed mistake he made at weekend. It's weird no keeper is shinning yet. Even DDG hasn't pulled off a wonder save yet!

Looking at it from another angle Gomez did move that way but there was a Leicester player right on him. It would never have been a safe pass. He should have just cleared it instead of trying to show off.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Playing from the back means more on using your brain than your dribbling skill. If a gk is forced to dribble his way out you should blame your defender.

A simple pass to the right person at tge right time is all a good gk needs to do. He doesn't need to be beckenabuer with the ball

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Have to expect a few mistakes from ball playing keepers. Remember barthez at United? Jesus in the end that lad gave me the jitters. Allison is in his honeymoon period at the media’s new darlings so he’ll be grand until they decide to knock him down. When that happens, how he handles the pressure mentally will be his true mettle

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Playing from the back means more on using your brain than your dribbling skill. If a gk is forced to dribble his way out you should blame your defender.

A simple pass to the right person at tge right time is all a good gk needs to do. He doesn't need to be beckenabuer with the ball
The defender was the biggest problem there. You need to offer up passing routes.

poleglass red

I get the points about defenders moving into space for him to give him the pass option, but come on he had a ample opportunity to belt that long. I get the modern fascination with sweeper keepers but like everything there is a time and place. Hit that long and they don't score, simple as.

Nick7

The defender was the biggest problem there. You need to offer up passing routes.
Nope. The keeper should have known that without an easy and high percentage pass being available he should get rid of it and not invite pressure onto himself. Gomez not being available for a pass doesn't mean the keeper didn't feck it up himself.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's about 95% Alisson's fault, 5% Gomez's for not offering an option imo.

He had plenty of time to hoof it but was trying to be too clever.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The error from Alisson is mock-worthy in isolation. The last thing Liverpool wants though is for the keeper to hoof the ball aimlessly. So Klopp needs to have his back line available as outlets for the ball, and his midfielders/forwards available as secondary options if the back line is being pressed or covered from goal kicks. Ederson assisted a goal recently by taking advantage of the "no offside from goal kicks" rule.

A hoof into nowhere sometimes is the last and safe resort, but it is wasteful, and it is indicative that something has broken down upfield. If your goal is to maximize every possession of the ball, then your keeper should be discouraged from hoofing into nowhere as much as possible.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Alisson should have punted it long. Perhaps Gomez could have made himself available, but since he wasn't, Alisson should have just kicked it away. Luckily it didn't cost us anything and it will serve as a learning curve. He looks confident enough to not let it affect him.