All-Time Fantasy Draft

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Team Gio: Player Profiles

Pat Jennings
Legendary goalkeeper with exceptional handling, positioning and reflexes. Dominant in the air thanks to his famously massive hands - (see 1.10 for his signature one-handed catch). Testament to his ability that he crossed the North London divide and is remembered fondly at both clubs.
Modern Day Equivalent: Nobody
Calm and assured, Jennings was blessed with a positional sense which meant he barely needed to resort to the spectacular. He was simply in the right place at the right time to pluck crosses out of the air or push shots aside. Jennings was a master of the one-on-one, standing up long enough to narrow the angle and make things as difficult as possible for onrushing strikers.

Haul: Football Writers Footballer of the Year 1973, PFA Footballer of the Year 1976 (Shilton the only other keeper to have won the award) and 119 caps for Northern Ireland.
Claudio Gentile
Fearless man-marker whose aggressive tackling and perfect positioning was fundamental in both Juventus and Italy's European and World success during the early-to-mid 1980s.
Modern Day Equivalent: Nobody
Neil Franklin
On par with Moore and Ferdinand as England's best ever central defender. Pacy, strong, slick and talented on the ball: a complete centre-half.
Modern Day Equivalent: Rio Ferdinand
Yeah Vieira and his rangy frame was excellent in that sense. Still, Davids was extraordinarily strong (check out the size of his thighs in the picture I posted), was renowned as a relentless man-marker, and had the sort of defensive nous to cover the arse of Frank De Boer on regular occasion (see this fantastic challenge against peak Ronaldo in the '98 semi at 5.10)
Xavi
Quite possibly the best and busiest ball-retaining midfielder in the history of the game. Certainly the standout midfielder in the world from 2007-2011: consistently dominating the strongest midfields Spanish, European and World football has to offer.
Haul: too many to list

Michel Platini
Led Juventus and France to unprecedented heights. Three-time conseutive Ballon D'Or winner - a feat only matched by Lionel Messi. His nine goals in a mere five games from midfield at Euro 1984 remains one of the greatest major tournament performances, surpassed perhaps only by Maradona in 1986.
Modern Day Equivalent: A souped-up Paul Scholes.
Haul: too many to list

Rivaldo
Between Maradona and Messi, nobody bettered the peak that Rivaldo achieved with Barcelona and Brazil. Possessor of one of the greatest and most multi-faceted left-feet the game has ever seen, he was a scintillating, talismanic, match-winner between 1998 and 2002. His hat-trick against Valencia on the last day of the 2000/01 season remains one of, if not the greatest performances in the history of the game.
He is in danger of being remembered as a cheat and a mardy bum, but Brazil's bandy-legged genius was the most unstoppable footballer since Maradona
Haul: 9 league titles, 1 Champions League, 1 World Cup, 1 World Cup runner-up, 1 Copa America, swept all the individual honours in 1999, FIFA All-Star Team in 1998 and 2002 (probably the best player in the latter tournament) and the standout at the 1999 Copa America.
Gunnar Nordahl
A hulking colossus of a striker who dominated both Serie A and international football during the post-war period. 5-times Serie A top scorer with AC Milan - an all-time record - who banged in 43 goals in a mere 33 appearances for Sweden.
Modern Day Equivalent: Christian Vieri, on steroids
Jose Manuel Moreno
Probably the greatest inside-right in the history of the game and in-and-around Di Stefano, Maradona and Messi as the best Argentinian footballer of all. Ranked in the top 5 South American Players of the Century, he excelled on either flank and would regularly drop into midfield to support the back-line and dictate play.

yes, DiStefano was the best argentinian player, second comes moreno and third maradona
I know a lot about the team and the player. I was just going to ask you how is he rated in Argentina? I have been told it goes:

1. Moreno
2. Di Stefano
3. Maradona

but because of Maradona's era and him winning the world cup he is in the hearts of more people?

Everything I have heard about Charro suggests he was Argentina's Duncan Edwards, except that obviously he lived to play his career.
Charro Moreno, my grandapa told us that he was even better than Maradona(he was a huge River fan:lol:) The maquina was one of the better teams in the history of argentinean football, Moreno, Labruna, Pedernera, Lousteau.
[/SPOILER]Alan Morton
Incisive left-winger who was the greatest player in Rangers history. Most famous for his part in the Wembley Wizards' 5-1 demolition of England in 1928 where Morton laid on three goals. In the 1920s Scotland were one of the strongest teams in Europe and a class above anything else in the home nations. Morton's own record against England over the course of 11 games read 7 wins and 3 defeats (2 of them at the tailend of his career).
Modern Day Equivalent: Ryan Giggs
I have written so often of Alan Morton, that the world had never seen his equal and never shall, that I find myself in danger of repeating myself whenever he comes into the subject. No superlative, however, ever overstated his worth to the game. He was to all English defenders what Sir Stanley Matthews was to us - an unstoppable, jewel-encrusted winger with a fantastic sense of balance and the brain of a football professor. Unchallenged as Scotland's outside left so long as he was fit, his imposing honours list would have been greater had he been able to accept them all.

His list -

Caps: England 11, Wales 10, Ireland 9, France 1.
League honours: English League 11, Irish League 2.

Medals -

League championships 9, Scottish Cup 3, Glasgow Cup 7, Charity Cup 8.

The club paid their gracious tribute to Alan Morton by electing him to the Board of Directors in season 1932/33. he began the season as a player, but after 6 league games and a Glasgow Cup tie, he pulled the honoured jersey over his head for the last time. Co-opted to the Board, his election was confirmed with sweeping satisfaction throughout the football world, as fitting recognition of this soccer immortal. "The Little Blue Devil", as Ivan Sharpe, the noted English writer dubbed him after he had bamboozled and jinked his way around the stricken English defenders in an International, brought freshness and infinite wisdom to the Board. His ability to read a game off the field as clearly as on it, enabled flaws to be detected and repaired, while in one glance, he could analyse a new player with his X-ray eyes and predict how he would comport himself in the future. he rarely made a mistake.
I say there will never be another Alan Morton. Master players will come and go. So too will men of greater physical structure, but none with the artifice, the poise, the amazing dexterity, assurance begotten of innate skill, lightning reflexes, and perhaps the greatest of his virtues, split-second timing.
He played 495 matches, all for the first eleven, and scored 115 goals.

No defence could quiten him. He set his own standards, just as Pele, the Brazilain wonderboy, or Di Stefano, or Puskas, of Real Madrid, did at their peak. He was world class even before he reached full maturity. He has said: "As a boy, I practiced for hours at a stretch with a ball, until I felt I was master of it. I loved every minute." And he certainly showed it in his supreme composure as he prodded for a back's weakness, and played on to it until his rival was left utterly bewildered at the ghost he could not lay. The England selectors, on one occasion, tried to solve the puzzle by fielding a player almosy his own size of 5ft 4inches. The luckless Englishman was driven to distraction as Alan sped past him as though he didn't exist - and the chuckling Scots on the Hampden terracing whooped their delight.
Branko Stankovic
Pioneering Yugoslavian right-back whose modern style of play became the blueprint for others who followed in his footsteps. Coined the "Ambassador" for his elegant approach and his class as a player and as a person was highly respected by Stanley Matthews who invited Stankovic to his 80th birthday celebrations.
Modern Day Equivalent: A cross between Javier Zanetti and Denis Irwin.
He was sophisticated, strong and fast player. He was decent shooter (mainly because of his shot power). He wasn't a rough player, furthermore he was a true gentleman on the field (Stanley Matthews said that he was a real class of a player, strong but he used that force only in truly gentlemanly manner). Ambassador was very good free-kick and dead-ball taker. Stankovic had excellent positioning both in attack and defense and his aerial game was good.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think Irwin is the best left back in PL history.

Better technique than his counterparts, better passing, better crossing, better set pieces, better shooting, more discipline, better decision making, more versatile. Cole has more pace and arguably is better in the tackle but overall Irwin is the better player, imo of course.
Yeah I don't think it's a ridiculous opinion or anything, like I said I would have him as the second greatest fullback, right or left, but think Cole justifies being considered the best now.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Goalkeeper
Mazurkiewicz
Defence
Brehme

Germano

Trésor

McGrain
Midfield
Keane

Falcão

Brwned

Wingers
Giggs

Matthews
Forwards
Di Stéfano

Spencer
Subs
Sárosi

Haan
Reinforcements

Baresi - anyone who sees Baresi as simply the greatest defender in the history of the game need only watch this one video:
Eusebio – Needs little introduction, simply one of the greatest strikers to ever play the game., renowned for his speed, technique, athleticism and ferocious shot. He scored 733 goals in 745 matches, was top scorer at the 1966 WC where Portugal finished 3rd, won 11 national leagues, 1 European cup, and European footballer of the year in 1965.

Ruud Krol – One of the best defenders of his generation, Krol defined the Dutch ‘Total Football’ philosophy. Quick and agile of though, Krol is perhaps best remembered for his explosive runs down the left wing combined with his accurate delivery, however such was his talent that he could play anywhere across midfield or the back line and excelled as a libero at the 1978 WC.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I truly believe that if Giggs was allowed as luxury player without any defensive duty, he would be rated a lot higher.

This is what he could do in 1994 (min. 3:15 and 8:35):

This is about 9 year later. Just look at his goals and trademark run in 3:00 and 11:30 min. Just magic.

Thisistheone

I truly believe that if Giggs was allowed as luxury player without any defensive duty, he would be rated a lot higher.
It's an interesting point. You see those quotes about him that Brwned posted as well and you really wonder how Giggs would do in the modern game given a Ronaldo or Bale esk free license.

But his defensive ability as a winger should also be to his credit. Just another aspect of his game that seperates him from the rest.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Player Profiles

Harry Gregg

Gregg was as vocal, commanding and abrasive as Peter Schmeichel and this bold personality and powerful physique persuaded United to pay £23,000, then a world record fee for a goalkeeper. The Northern Ireland international was voted best goalkeeper at the 1958 World Cup and remained United’s first-choice keeper for four years until an injury disrupted the rest of his career, causing him to constantly drift in and out of the team.

Manuel Amoros

An extremely fast, aggressive and above all solid right back who reached 82 caps for France and played at the 82 and 86 world cups (getting into the team of the tournament for the 86 tournament) He was one of France’s best ever full backs and his intelligence’ on the pitch means he was rarely caught out by an opponent, he always knew when to burst forward and when to sit back.

Franco Baresi

What more can be said about the man who made defending an absolute joy to watch? An outstanding reader of the game, his decision making was peerless. He knew when and how to slow a game down, how to play it out from the back and when the ball just needed to go into row Z.

Despite the '94 World Cup Final being an absolute dire affair in the attacking third, any fan of the true art of defending would say that Baresi’s MOM performance at the ripe old age of 34, snuffing out Romario and every other Brazilian attacker that day was breathtaking.

Despite all of this, his crowning skill would be his ability to organise a defence. When Baresi played there was no miscommunication or slackness, he improved the players around him with his ability. Simply the best defender in this draft.

Elias Figueroa

“The area is my domain, and I decide who enters it.”

His anticipation and reading of the game was beyond reproach, while his leadership skills, ability in the air and composure on the ball were recognised the world over. At the 1974 world cup, he was hailed as the competition’s best defender and named alongside Franz Beckenbauer at centre-back in the tournament's Best XI.
"Figueroa is the best Chilean player of all time, and probably the finest central defender in the history of football in the Americas," Pele has gone on record as saying. Rubens Minelli (a former coach), could attest: “If you asked me to compare Don Elias to someone, I couldn’t give you an answer,".

Rafael Gordillo

A fantastic attacking full back Gordillo was a mainstay for the Spanish national team in the 80's, appearing in nearly 80 matches and representing the nation in five international tournaments. He was a mainstay in the Real Madrid team who won four titles back to back in the late eighties. Well known for his mazing runs and all round ability, he has no real weakness to his game and is a solid addition to a brilliant back 5.

Valery Voronin

From his anchor point in central midfield, Voronin’s incredible sense of positioning allowed him to read the game like few others. A consummate ability to pass the ball meant he could redistribute possession to the right person at the right moment.

“I well remember Voronin,” recalled journalist Leonid Repin, back in 1999:
“In an instant and elusive moment he could spirit the ball away from attackers. Or he could suddenly burst into the penalty area and with defences at full stretch would slide a clever assist to his striker.
“But most of all, he delighted me with his central play where, taking the ball with a graceful, cat-like movement, Voronin would look up from the tamed ball and, locating all the moving pieces on the grass chess board before him with lightening-fast estimation, was always able to dispatch the ball just so – inevitably drawing a sigh of admiration.”
Vorinin was Soviet Footballer of the year in 1964 and 1965. In 1964 he was 10th on the balon do’r shortlist, he was joint 8th in 1965, joint 11th 1966 and finally joint 25th in 1967. He was a footballer who could play as a centre back or a midfielder, running the game from both positions with incisive long passing and a brilliant mind for the defensive side of the game.

Josef Masopust

Masopust was the workhorse of a brilliant Czech team who reached the final of the 1962 world cup (and he won the Ballon D'or in this year). He worked in the shadows crafting and building fresh attacks for the front line while using his incredible stamina to win the ball back time after time for 90 minutes. He possessed exemplary ball control, he drove menacingly through the opposition in what was termed 'Masopust's slalom'. During these solo runs Masopust would seamlessly switch between both feet, easily jinking to the left and right but always moving forward.

Pele

“Masopust was one of the greatest players I ever saw. But it is not possible that he was born in Europe. With those explosive dribbles, he had to be Brazilian!”

PUSKAS

“I was surprised by how complete he was,” Puskas admitted. “Luis [Del Sol] was one of the best midfielders there was at breaking up attacks, Suarez was a genius with his through-balls and Paco [Gento] was fantastic when running at fullbacks. But Masopust could do it all: win the ball, pass, dribble and break into the box. He was an outstanding player.”

Mackay

One of the true legenday hardmen of British football The Roy Keane or Rino Gattuso of the 60's.

The stature of Dave Mackay in Tottenham folklore is vast his control was second to none, he was the cleanest striker of a ball at the club and he passed with the utmost precision. This is not to say, of course, that the traditional image of Dave Mackay is a myth he exerted an awesome physical presence, muscular thighs and a barn-door of a chest topped by features that were positively piratical. The man tackled like a granite avalanche, exuding a passionate will to win and apparently consumed by a devilish relish for his work. Colleagues leapt to do his bidding as he drove them on, invariably by stirring personal example, he bustled tirelessly between attack and defence, typically winning the ball, flicking a pass, then surging forward to receive the return. On reaching enemy territory, he could finish venomously - as he proved with a hat-trick against West Ham in 1962- and another potent weapon was a prodigiously long throw.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
Player Profiles

Schuster

A true midfield general, Bernd Schuster was Barça’s driving force throughout the 80s and one of the best footballers of that decade. A complete player, he had the attributes to do ping balls across the pitch or play as an advanced playmaker with an eye for defence splitting passes.

Gullit

Ruud Gullit was one of the most complete footballers to play the game, renowned as one of the three "Tiger-Soldiers" of AC Milan and Holland alongside Frank Rijkaard and Marco Van Basten. Gullit epitomised the ethos of Total Football as he was naturally adept in almost every position. His foremost attribute was his athleticism, as he used his strength and speed to great effect, as well as being excellent in the air. Yet unusually for a man of his stature Gullit also possessed outstanding natural balance and poise that gave a graceful style to his game. Gullit thus combined technical ability with physical presence to become an iconic figure in world football. Gullit's brilliance prompted George Best to comment in 1990, "Ruud Gullit is a great player by any standards. He has all the skills. He's not afraid to do things with the ball. And he looks as if he's enjoying every second of it”

David Beckham

Pin point crosses, brilliant set piece delivery and a brilliant engine and team ethic all come together to make a player who in his prime gave the defences all over Europe nightmares. It is often forgot quite how good he was in his prime these days but there’s no doubt that his deliveries, mixed with Batistuta and Gullit’s aerial ability, will be a frightening attacking prospect.

Socrates

One of the most elegant midfield generals in football history, Socrates, was blessed with wonderful skills, vision and seemed to have so many options when he was on the ball. He was able to play the ball wherever and whenever he wanted. His signature move was the blind heel pass became famous world wide and these rare skills combined with the fact that he was a medical student more than justified him being nicknamed the Doctor. Socrates captained Brazil's fantastic World Cup team of 1982 partnering Cerezo, Falcao and Zico in midfield.

Batistuta

184 goals in 318 matches for Fiorentina, he is Argentina's all-time leading goal scorer, with 56 goals in 78. An all-round game with clinical finishing, heading, immense power and incredible drive to win, he is known as one of the most complete strikers of his generation. Diego Maradona has said that Batistuta is the best striker he has ever seen play the game and he is the perfect player to occupy two defenders at once.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It's an interesting point. You see those quotes about him that Brwned posted as well and you really wonder how Giggs would do in the modern game given a Ronaldo or Bale esk free license.

But his defensive ability as a winger should also be to his credit. Just another aspect of his game that seperates him from the rest.
He should have been our number 10 when Cantona retired, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I thought he would be better thought of if he had gone to Italy, I truly think a manager over there would of played him centrally from a younger age.

Thisistheone

He should have been our number 10 when Cantona retired, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I thought he would be better thought of if he had gone to Italy, I truly think a manager over there would of played him centrally from a younger age.
Inter & Juventus were desperate to sign him, by all accounts. At a time when Lippi had Juv playing the best standard of football in Europe.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Personal shits being going down, I'll work on my sheet tomorrow.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
He plays in the most heavily populated position in the draft and there's at least 16 better players in his position. Yes he was the best player in the league for a long while but this was in an era when Kevin Keegan won the Ballon d'Or twice, yet he's widely regarded as not even being one of England's top 5 players. There are still plenty of United fans that will say Cantona was more influential and I reckon there's Arsenal fans that say Bergkamp was the better player, Dalglish just stood out in an inferior league.

From antohan's list of unpicked players I'd still take Sívori, Tostão, Overath, Rivera, Sindelar, Liedholm, Deyna and Stojkovic over Dalglish.
Mate, that's ridiculous to say he stood out in an inferior league. The bloke won the three European Cups and about a dozen league titles, as well as cups to go with it. He was the catalyst in so many of those seasons, victories and finals. He was not only one of the cleverest players to play the game and incredible target man, as well as goalscorer, but he was a big game player too.

He was Liverpool's best player in their best and most dominating side, the era where they won four European Cups and eight league titles. They were the best in Europe for many a year. I'm sorry but you don't manage to play in that team and be the main man by being a bit lucky or only being better than an inferior bunch. Football wasn't rubbish during his playing career!

As a voter, I maintain that he would improve every squad in this game by being added. You'll disagree for your own team and that's fine, but I can't believe he's been missed from over 200 picks. I think his Liverpool connection doesn't help this because nobody on here likes the bloke.

By the way, I really don't like Kenny Daglish either. But he was some player.

Moby

Dick
Indeed. I think he is definitely better than someone like Stojkovic, who for all his promise didn't last long and hardly reached the heights Dalglish did. I don't like him one bit either and probably it's the fact that no one would want to defend him and bang on his achievements after picking him which is the reason he went unpicked, otherwise he more than deserves to be in this draft.

That Liverpool team was incredible in many ways. The other day I was watching the 85 EC final, and even when they were not having their best day they were moving the ball smoothly and easily past that mighty Juventus team. Juve only managed to beat them by a solitary goal thanks to a penalty from a foul that looked outside the box!

For all the praise Falcao has received in this thread, the Roma team led by him and including stellar players like Conti, Cerezo and Di Bartolomei couldn't beat that Dalglish led Liverpool team.

Meh, I don't wanna go on and on about them, and I feel this is the exact reason why many have stayed off players from that team.

Brwned

I see him as a Cantona-esque figure in that he was just the perfect fit in an excellent team. No doubt that Liverpool side was a great side and a better side than Cantona's United but I think it's possible to be the best player in a great team without being a truly exceptional player. I absolutely agree that he should be in the draft, of course he should, I just don't think he's an outrageous oversight given how many outstanding #10s there have been from all over the world. In the first round you have Di Stéfano, Pelé, Maradona, Messi, Cruyff, Laudrup, Platini, Zidane, Zico picked, all players who will play in the same areas as Dalglish. After that there's Baggio, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Meazza, Gullit, Sócrates, Rui Costa, Schuster, Netzer, Rivelino...you can make an argument for pretty much every one of those playes. Rui Costa's probably the only one I'm picking Dalglish over. There's definitely room in a few teams for a player like Dalglish even now, but I can see why he was overlooked outside of simple bias/dislike.

Falcao was half-fit in that final and I thought in the game v Juve the difference in class between Platini and Dalglish was striking.

Moby

Dick
Well yes and no one can claim that Dalglish should be rated ahead of Platini, but I don't entirely agree on him being Cantona-esque. For starters, he was much more professional than Eric was. Talent is not a question with these players, but it is highly unfair to him if you think that he was lucky in terms of being a part of a great side, rather it was almost the opposite that the side was great thanks to mainly three players, Souness, Hansen and Dalglish. We rarely hear about the likes of Phil Neal, the man who won 4(?) European Cups and was a regular fixture throughout. Same goes for most of them in that team apart from these three.

He is a father figure for Liverpool more because of role in the club specially after Hillsborough and the way he visited each and every family, etc, but that doesn't really take much away from him as a player specially as they beat plenty of strong teams when he was leading them. Big game player, as someone said and in fact there is not a huge gap between him and the number 10s like Rui Costa, Baggio or Rivaldo. You could see that almost everything went through him in the team, he controlled and marshalled most attacks and had incredible technique. What also differs him from those players is that he was more of a support striker, not a playmaker, so obviously if you compare him to Platini he will fall short, just due to the fact that he was not as class with his passing and vision which usually easily sets a player apart.

Not the most naturally talented or eye catching player, but definitely one of the most effective and someone you would love to have in your team in a big game. A lot more than King Eric, to be frank.

Brwned

Yeah, Cantona was terrible in big games...

For me, there was a bit of a lull in the late 70s to early 80s. Holland and Germany in '74 were a class above both finalists in the following two World Cups - Holland 4 years on weren't half as good and Germany 8 years on were relatively poor for their standards. Plus Argentina '78 must rank up there with the most unimpressive World Cup-winning sides in history. Then you look at the European Cup finalists and you see Nottingham Forest, Malmo, Hamburg, Villa, Brugge over a 5 year period. Forest were so unexceptional with Trevor Francis the "million pound man" and John Robertson as the only players with a bit of class on the ball. Go back a decade earlier and you have Ajax, Bayern, Benfica, United, Milan, Celtic and Inter all with top-class sides over a 5 year period.

That's the main thing for me. I don't doubt they were a great side and he was a great player but the competition wasn't top-notch so they didn't get a chance to prove it as often as many of the other great players/teams.

Moby

Dick
I get that the traditional all time great players are not from that era, but before or after that, but the opposition point is what I am not sure about. Bayern and Ajax beat the likes of Panathanaikos and Atletico Madrid and the Madrid team also beat some ordinary competition for their 5 in a row, that however doesn't take much away from their players. Fact is that any team who reaches the final in the European Cup must be credible in some form.

I have not watched every game of every CL campaign back then to comment on how great or bad each and every opposition was, but a quick look on the fixtures tells me that in 77, Liverpool beat Gladbach who in turn beat Kiev who in turn beat Munich with Beckenbauer and the rest of troop still there.

Had it been one cup win there could have been a case of being lucky and having an easy route, but 4? In all fairness that team should be ranked up with the Bayern's and Ajax's for being at the top and in fact for a longer span. I think it is the fact that it was filled with British folk who never really showed much in International competitions while the Germans and the Dutch carried it to the country and are revered a lot due to that.

Brwned

I'm not saying they're lucky. They might well have been just as successful with stronger competition. It's not about the finals though - Sacchi's Milan beating Madrid in the semis, Cruyff's Ajax thrashing Bayern in the QFs, they're just as meaningful. Liverpool just didn't have that chance because there was no other side at that level - between 76-81 they played:

Crusaders
Trabzonspor
St Etienne
Zurich
Borussia Mönchengladbach

Dynamo Dresden
Benfica
Borussia Mönchengladbach

Nottingham Forest

Dinamo Tbilisi

OPS
Aberdeen
CSKA Sofia
Bayern Munich
Real Madrid

Aside from the two German sides there's not a lot of quality. I know knockout tournaments can go that way and all but losing to Forest and Tblisi in consecutive seasons...I dunno. I just know that Forest really weren't a brilliant team.

Moby

Dick
Wasn't Gladbach incredibly strong back then? They had won the league three years in a row, captained by Vogts and having one of the best in the world in Simonsen. There might be a case of them being stronger than the Madrid that Sacchi's Milan beat.

We should also consider the fact that Liverpool won the European Cup twice in the first half of the 80s, when Juventus had an incredibly strong team. In fact the whole Serie A was packed with quality, so trumping them must have been an effort worth noticing.

We can say that this team is similar to our 99 team in the eye of a neutral. Both teams based on British talent and take Stam out, we were pretty much without any international star in 99. The problem with that Liverpool team was that with the lack of coverage for club football back then, it was very difficult for any player to make a name for himself without performing well for his country, unless he was immensely documented like someone like Best.

But if we compare our 99 team and that Liverpool team, I doubt many would even pick our team, neutrals that is mainly as we won once while they won 4 and also in the fashion that we won, while I think Liverpool's wins were tad more convincing. If you tell a foreigner to rate Scholes or Dalglish I think they would be rated similarly in their respective positions which are not likely to be very high.

Thisistheone

Didn't Liverpool have a bye in the early rounds? And then you see those teams they played compared to our fixtures in '99. The CL is so much tougher to win, IMO.

My pool supporting mates would then always come back with "well it was harder to win because you needed to win your league. Otherwise why didn't Utd win it more?" Well if Fergie was around back then we would have.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Didn't Liverpool have a bye in the early rounds? And then you see those teams they played compared to our fixtures in '99. The CL is so much tougher to win, IMO.
But equally your Monchengladbachs and CSKA Sofias were far stronger outfits then than they are nowadays as they were able to retain the best quality from within their country. Quality that now gravitates to the big three leagues from an earlier stage.

Brwned

But equally your Monchengladbachs and CSKA Sofias were far stronger outfits then than they are nowadays as they were able to retain the best quality from within their country. Quality that now gravitates to the big three leagues from an earlier stage.
That's true to an extent but let's look at CSKA Sofia in this case. Bulgaria failed to qualify for the '78 and '82 World Cups and went out in the first round of the '74 tournament. In '74, CSKA Sofia players accounted for 6 of the 22-man squad. 1986 was Bulgaria's second-best tournament finish in history and none of the CSKA Sofia players were in that squad. Yet during this time they managed to beat European Cup holders Nottingham Forest in '81 and Liverpool in '82. Then we look at a team from a bigger nation like St. Etienne. France qualified for both the '78 and '82 World Cups. From the team that played against Liverpool in '77, just 4 St Etienne playes - Janvion, Lopez, Bathenay and Rocheteau - made it into either French squad.

They were certainly better but not many of them were great sides packed full of homegrown talent. Even European Cup winners Forest weren't - their captain wasn't even capped at international level and over half their starting lineup had less than 10 caps.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That's true to an extent but let's look at CSKA Sofia in this case. Bulgaria failed to qualify for the '78 and '82 tournaments and went out in the first round of the '74 tournament. In '74, CSKA Sofia players accounted for 6 of the 22-man squad. 1986 was Bulgaria's second-best tournament finish in history and none of the CSKA Sofia players were in that squad. Yet during this time they managed to beat European Cup holders Nottingham Forest in '81 and Liverpool in '82. Then we look at a team from a bigger nation like St. Etienne. France qualified for both the '78 and '82 World Cups. From the team that played against Liverpool in '77, just 4 St Etienne playes - Janvion, Lopez, Bathenay and Rocheteau - made it into either French squad.

They were certainly better but not many of them were great sides packed full of homegrown talent. Even European Cup winners Forest weren't - their captain wasn't even capped at international level and over half their starting lineup had less than 10 caps.
Aye it was more of a general point regarding the CL/European Cup comparisons. For example, Dynamo Kiev had 12 players in the Soviet Union squad for '86 and '88; Malmo had 8 players in Sweden's team for '78; 21 out of 22 of the great Belgian side were in the Jupiler league; 20 out of 22 Bulgarians in the Bulgarian league; the same for Poland's team in '82, and so on.

As you say, there may well have been a dip in elite club quality between Ajax/Bayern in the mid-70s and the emergence of Serie A sides through the mid-to-late 1980s.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Goalkeeper
Oliver Kahn 'The Titan' - Germany
Influential and fearless german keeper who’s peak was as good as anyone in the last 20 years, Schmeichel included. Only keeper to have won the FIFA World Cup Golden Ball, and to make the top 3 in the FIFA World Player of The Year. Came third twice in European Footballer of the Year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Kahn

Defence
Luis ‘Fifo’ Eyzaguirre – Chile
Considered to be one of the best right backs in the world in the early 60s, only bettered by legendary Brazilian Djalma Santos. Was influential in helping Chile gain 3rd place at the 1962 World Cup. Chile were one of the most exciting teams to watch at this time and Eyzaguirre was a big part of that with his willingness to go forward, calmness in possession, and while also being a very capable defender.

Was invited by FIFA to play in a commemorative game to celebrate 100 years of football.

John Charles ‘The Gentle Giant’ – Wales
One of the best all round footballers of all time.

- Voted the greatest foreign player ever in Serie A (ahead of Van Basten, Maradona, Platini)
- Voted by Juventus fans as their best ever foreign player
- First non-Italian inducted to the Azzurri Hall of Fame
- Italian player of the year 1958
- 3rd in Ballon d’or 1959

Bobby Robson –
''Incomparable''
''John wasn't only one of the greatest footballers who ever lived. He was one of the greatest men ever to play the game''
Jack Charlton:
"John Charles was a team unto himself. People often say to me, 'Who was the best player you ever saw in your life?', and I answer, probably Eusebio, di Stefano, Cruyff, Pele or our Bob - but the most effective player I ever saw, the one that made the most difference to the performance of the whole team, was, without question, John Charles. He could defend, he could play in midfield, he could attack. He was quick, he was a very, very strong runner, and he was the greatest header of the ball I ever saw''
http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/players/charlesapp.htm

Fernando Hierro 'The Marshal' – Spain
Regarded as the greatest Spanish defender of all time. He was equally at ease as a central defender or defensive midfielder. He was an outstanding organiser and leader, and had the ability at his peak, to combine solid defensive play with a near-unlimited passing range. As a defender, Hierro had a remarkable scoring record. He led Spain in total goals with 29 before being overtaken by Raul, and scored over 100 goals in 497 La Liga games.

Nilton Santos 'The Encyclopaedia'– Brazil
Legendary Brazilian left back Nilton Santos was selected in the FIFA world team of century in 1998 and is regarded as the best full back in the history of the game. Outstanding in attack with his pace, world-class dribbling and crossing.
He was a pioneer and revolutionised the position of attacking full back and is the main inspiration for Brazil to have since been synonomous with world class attacking fullbacks.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/players/player=44604/index.html

Midfield

Luis Figo - Portugal

European Player of the Year in 2000, and World Player of the Year in 2001. Portugese record cap holder. Moved to Real Madrid from arch rivals Barcelona for a world record transfer fee.

Fernando Redondo - Argentina

The complete modern day centre midfielder. Heartbeat of the Madrid Galactico's. Sexy hair.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/2012/fernando-redondo-the-incompletely-complete-story-of-a-genius-tht-heroes/

Duncan Edwards - England

Bobby Charlton

Duncan was the only player who made me feel inferior
Tom Clare

My memories of him never dim. I can still see him today as he comes bounding out from that old player's tunnel, taking those huge giant leaps into the air, and heading an imaginary ball. Ican still see him standing there in the middle of the pitch expanding his chest and shouting to his team mates in that thick Black Country accent; 'come on lads, we 'aven't come here for nuffink!' He was special alright - in some ways he was a freak, and I say that in the nicest possible way. He was the perfect human being, the perfect footballer with the perfect technique, temperament, the one player that I have seen that really did have everything and could play anywhere and still be the most outstanding player on the field. People often ask me today as to who would compare with him. Well, the honest answer is, I haven't seen anybody come near to him. To try and explain I tell them, take a little bit of Bobby Moore, a little bit of Bryan Robson, a little bit of Roy Keane, and a little bit of Patrick Viera - mix them together, and maybe, just maybe, you may just get a little bit of Duncan Edwards. Have a look at the websites www.duncan-edwards.co.uk and www.munich58.co.uk and read the various newspaper reports and testimonials about him - it will give you an idea of just how gifted a young man he truly was. There was once a famous athlete who years ago who used to proclaim; 'I am the greatest! I am the greatest!' Well, unfortunately I have news for him. Even he got it wrong. You see, "the greatest" was a young 21 years old wing half, who played for Manchester United and England and wore the number 6 shirt. In my opinion, he was the most complete player the game of football has ever witnessed. Dear Dunc, I say it so often, the years roll by, but your memory never dims and your legend will live on forever. Sleep on in your peace.

George Best 'El Beatle' – Northern Ireland
Not sure what to say about him that would do him justice. One of the most gifted players of all time. Combined bravery, pace, acceleration, balance, two-footedness, goalscoring and the ability to beat defenders. A footballing phenomenon.

Pele
''George Best was the greatest player in the world.''
Sir Alex
''He was a fantastic player. Everybody at United regarded George as being one of the greatest of all time.''
Denis Law
''From 1964 to 1969 he was the best player in the world''
John Giles
''He had the lot: balance, pace, two good feet, he was brave, strong and a good header of the ball. Pele wasn’t as gifted as George Best and I would definitely put George above Johan Cruyff because he had more heart''
Matt Busby
''Whenever possible, give the ball to George Best''

Forwards

Roberto Baggio ‘The divine ponytail’- Italy

World and European footballer of the year in 1993. Italys most popular and iconic player of all time. 4th in the FIFA internet poll for the best player of all time. 16th in the World Soccer awards 100 greatest players of the 20th century. Best remembered for his performances in dragging Italy almost single handedly to the final of 1994 World Cup when he was unquestionably the best player in the world at the time.

Marco Van Basten 'The swan of Utrecht'– Holland

World player of the year in 1992 and 3 time European footballer of the year. Voted 12th in the FIFA player of the century. 3 time European cup winner with Milan and starred for Holland in the 88 Euros scoring 1 of the best goals of all time in the final.

Brilliant all round centreforward with wonderful touch and technique.

Kurt Hamrin ‘The Little Bird’– Sweden
Flying Swedish winger. 7th highest scorer in Serie A history. Best remembered for his displays in helping Sweden reach the 1958 World Cup Final, scoring in the quarter final and a wonderful goal in the semi against West Germany. Played for Juventus, AC Milan, Fiorentina and Napoli in Serie A.

Bryan Robson 'Captain Marvel' - England

One of Manchester United and Englands greatest ever players. A supreme motivational force. Had endless stamina who could tackle, run, pass, shoot and head.

He's the longest serving captain in Uniteds history and had over 90 caps for England.

In August 2011 he was voted as the greatest ever Manchester United player from a poll of ex players as part of a new book, released to celebrate the 19th league title win.

Gazza
''Bryan Robson was the best footballer i have ever shared a pitch with and the best player of his generation''

Jean Tigana 'Le Don Quichotte du Mali' – France
Stylish French playmaker who was part of ‘the magic square’, one of the greatest midfield foursomes of all time with Michel Platini and co. 2nd in the Balon D’Or in 1984 after starring in Frances triumphant 1984 Euro’s.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I'd take out Gascgoine and Drogba and put in RVP and Seedorf with Makelele and Toure.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
To be fair you have really nice flexibility if you want to be more or less attacking. What Fergus proposes would be much more solid in the middle, whereas if you wanted more creativity Seedorf and Gazza could both play instead of Yaya.

The best setup will depend on how your opponent lines up.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
To be fair you have really nice flexibility if you want to be more or less attacking. What Fergus proposes would be much more solid in the middle, whereas if you wanted more creativity Seedorf and Gazza could both play instead of Yaya.

The best setup will depend on how your opponent lines up.
Just realised that Drogba and Toure can't play together either!