All-Time Fantasy Draft

EDogen

I have to tell myself that Moore is a part of my big plan! Quite happy with him but not sure it was the perfect pick, hard to know yet!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I have to tell myself that Moore is a part of my big plan! Quite happy with him but not sure it was the perfect pick, hard to know yet!
It's pretty hard to go wrong at this stage. I wouldn't have chosen Moore yet but your pair have got a greater collective reputation than any other duo selected so far.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Any thoughts on picking Bobby Moore now? Main reason was that there are not many english players I wanted in my team.
Bobby Moore would be my next pick, as he's highly rated and from a country with relatively few 'legends' on the game. Good choice.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: That's a strange 2nd pick, tbh. But with nationality restriction and so many great players come from only few nations, picking him early could be a real deal, tbf.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You would only need to worry at this point if you'd gone out and spunked your second pick on a goalke..

Ah feck.
I scanned through the last page and saw that classic photo of his, cue "Who the feck went for a goalie already?" :lol:

antohan

There's got to be some logic underpinning how players work together and complement one another. I don't think that necessarily has to be era-specific.
Indeed. Crust has a point though and it already came up in the 50s draft with people playing big names in completely unfamiliar formations. I'm fully expecting a lot of teams using modern tactics yet playing older players, then as they pick up more attacking power gradually going back to the 30s and some modern players being out of their depth :lol:

That's one reason I prioritised Rijkaard. Apart from being among the very best at his job, he could play a midfield three or a two in a modern or older formation and dominate the midfield while paired up with pretty much anyone AND without the midfield being unbalanced (unless I pick someone completely ridiculous as a partner, of course).

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'll be out tomorrow, how long until I can pick?

antohan

Any thoughts on picking Bobby Moore now? Main reason was that there are not many english players I wanted in my team.
I follow your logic, I had him penned down on the same basis, but was willing to wait and risk losing him.

You've basically picked a top tier player you would happily stick to all the way to the final. That's always a good thing. You basically have two chaps there that are top notch and at no point will a player crop up that you would want to sub them for as like for like or to free up the nation spot. It should serve you well going forward.

SirAF

Ageist
feck sake, why do I always miss out on these things :lol: Just saw this!

antohan

Newsflash

Since no one has commented on the suggestion, making a call here and letting you know in advance

Once this second round is finished we revert to 6 hours each, with each player allowed to overrun it up to 12 once

Everyone starts with a clean slate

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Thought it already was 6 hours? Just let this be MightbeRights 12 hour one.

JakeC

Ok, my choice is the fantastic Paolo Maldini, one of the greatest ever defenders, and will be a rock at the back for me, i've never seen such an intelligent defender in my life.

JakeC

--------------
--------Maldini-----------------------
--------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
---------------Ronaldo

NM

--------------
--------Maldini-----------------------
--------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
---------------Ronaldo
i hate you!!!

antohan

Fergus'son: 1. Beckenbauer 2.
DanNistelrooy: Cristiano Ronaldo 2.
KM: 1. Messi 2.
Thisistheone: 1. Maradona 2.
NM: 1. Pele 2.
Cutch: 1. Best 2.
Brwned: 1. Di Stéfano 2.
MJJ: 1. Duncan Edwards 2.
JakeC: 1. Ronaldo 2. Maldini
mightberight: 1. Ferenc Puskas 2. Stoichkov
EDogen: 1. Cruyff 2. Moore
Gio: 1. Platini 2. Xavi
Antohan: 1. Laudrup 2. Rijkaard
Stobzilla: 1. Zidane 2. Yashin (Russia)
Isotope: 1. Zico 2. L. Matthäus
paceme: 1. Figueroa 2. Baresi

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Cutch: 1. Best 2.
Brwned: 1. Di Stéfano 2. Keane
MJJ: 1. Duncan Edwards 2. Garrincha

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
3 time European player of the year and former World Player of the Year. Dutch legend who's career was cruelly cut short of injury. A complete centre forward. The legendary Marco Van Basten.

Cutch: 1. Best 2. Van Basten

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
3 time European player of the year and former World Player of the Year. Dutch legend who's career was cruelly cut short of injury. A complete centre forward. The legendary Marco Van Basten.

Cutch: 1. Best 2. Van Basten
The Figueroa-Baresi combo is an interesting one. Considering this draft has a tilt towards absolute peaks, there's one Italian defender in particular who would be an absolute monster next to Figueroa, I reckon.

Baresi is still a great pick, but it does force that drafters hand more than some other Italian defenders would have in terms of the team you play around him. Still, if he gets those players, the pick becomes superb.

Gio and Brwned seem to already have a style of play in mind with the players they've gone for and Brwned's engine room will be the most 'frightening' of the draft if he continues along the same path.

With these things on here, is the critiquing done as a running commentary or is it left until after the squads are complete, btw?

antohan

Running commentary, that's why there isn't a separate discussion thread as suggested earlier, much of the discussion is prompted by the picks themselves.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Son of a bitch. Best and Garrincha on the wings for me would have been unstoppable. :(
You would've needed two balls for those two alone!

A few hundred miles away, British journalist Bill Elliot was traveling with the Irish squad to the stadium where they’d meet Holland. The Orange squad, and their captain Johan Cruyff, in 1976, were synonymous with greatness. Elliot asked Best what he thought of Cruyff. “Outstanding”. “Better than you?”. George looked at the journalist and laughed. ‘You’re kidding aren’t you? I tell you what I’ll do tonight… I’ll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get.”

What follows is Elliot’s description. “Five minutes into the game Best received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right. He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff’s feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.”
Before the 1958 tournament, A Seleção played a warm-up friendly against Fiorentina. La Viola had been runners-up in Serie A that season, losing European Cup finalists the year before, and Scudetto winners the season before that. A crack side. So, anyway, Garrincha sauntered past four of them, sashayed round the keeper, stood with the ball on the line in front of an open goal, and waited for someone to come back and attempt to stop him scoring. When a defender, face as purple as his shirt, finally took the bait and charged in, Garrincha simply evaded another desperate lunge, rolled the ball into the net, flicked it up, tucked it under his arm like a newspaper, and went strolling back to the centre circle while whistling a jaunty cocktail-jazz trill.
That'll be the hardest part of this - creating a team that's packed full of superstars without going all Galácticos.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's still 12 hours so he's got till 4.30pm uk time.