All-Time Fantasy Draft

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Well that kind of says it all doesn't it. You're wheeling out that he came 3rd as if that justifies being selected against players who have actually won it three times.

I know he was a brilliant player, silly comment.
You can't just remove the legendary aspect of Edwards though - his achievements won't match up to many but his reputation will. Those on here who were lucky enough to see him back in the day all say Edwards is the best they've seen. Pretty much everyone regarded him as a total footballer and that puts him up there with Di Stéfano, Beckenbauer and very few others.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You can't just remove the legendary aspect of Edwards though - his achievements won't match up to many but his reputation will. Those on here who were lucky enough to see him back in the day all say Edwards is the best they've seen. Pretty much everyone regarded him as a total footballer and that puts him up there with Di Stéfano, Beckenbauer and very few others.
Certainly a vote winner. The issue I have with him is that, differently from the other two you mention, I wouldn't really have a clue how to play him or how exactly he would work with those around him. MJJ himself is asking whether he should play him as a CB or DM!

It's a big name randomly parachuted into a side and every time I see him picked in a draft he ends up being the chap that switches positions to allow for tactical variations, a World Class utility man of sorts.

There are various different midfield combinations of top tier players that simply wouldn't work well together. In his case there are very few players I know he would work well with, with most others I would wind up having a midfield that I frankly have no idea whether it is any good. I try to steer clear of that.

But then, you know I overanalyse :lol:

antohan

Edwards from what I understand could also play in any position - another reason to pick him.
See? There you go, play him in midfield and he is as good as Beckenbauer and ****** wrapped into one. Play him at the back and your defence is impenetrable. Play him at No. 10 and he is Pele. Play him on the wing and bench Best...

As said, from what I've seen, I would sure pick him in a midfield three, but haven't even seen enough to be clear if he would work in a midfield two in a more modern formation, for example.

mightberight

Fergus'son: 1. Beckenbauer
DanNistelrooy: Cristiano Ronaldo
KM: 1. Messi
Thisistheone: 1. Maradona
NM: 1. Pele
Cutch: 1. Best
Brwned: 1. Di Stéfano
MJJ: 1. Duncan Edwards
JakeC: 1. Ronaldo
mightberight: 1. Ferenc Puskas
EDogen: 1.
Gio: 1.
Antohan: 1.
Stobzilla: 1.
Isotope: 1.
paceme: 1.

antohan

Bollocks, that's one of my three remaining possible first picks gone. Chances of the other two going are ~90%

mightberight

See? There you go, play him in midfield and he is as good as Beckenbauer and ****** wrapped into one. Play him at the back and your defence is impenetrable. Play him at No. 10 and he is Pele. Play him on the wing and bench Best...

As said, from what I've seen, I would sure pick him in a midfield three, but haven't even seen enough to be clear if he would work in a midfield two in a more modern formation, for example.
Yeah, not doubting his obvious brilliance, but the man has been mythologised somewhat.

EDogen

I am very happy to present Johan Cruyff, so pleased to get him.

EDogen: 1. Cruyff
Gio: 1.

Thisistheone

Cruyff and Puskas gone. Both superb choices. Was torn between Maradona and Puskas as my first choice due to his nationality.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Michel Platini

Gio: 1. Platini

antohan

Two down, one to go

Still truckloads of quality around, but with nationalities in mind we are starting to get into the second tier.

antohan

And there you go, my next three choices out of the window. Gio was always going to pick Platini, the bastard :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
And there you go, my next three choices out of the window. Gio was always going to pick Platini, the bastard :lol:
Quel dommage. Happy with him - 3 consecutive Ballon D'Ors, domination of Euro '84 - playmaker and goalscorer rolled into one.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Last three choices were spot on, great picks.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Any chance the time limit could be reduced to six hours after the first turn?

antohan

Judging by the Caf's Top 25 vote this is a real feckup of a pick relative to some obvious more recent caftard favourites but nevertheless, up there with the very best I've ever seen. That game in Mexico still gives me nightmares.

The artistry of the old school meets the directness of the modern game: Michael Laudrup

Antohan: 1. Laudrup

antohan

Any chance the time limit could be reduced to six hours after the first turn?
I would bring that in as long as everyone agrees. Not sure what timezone people are on, but we seem to be doing fine.

I would still keep the concept of everyone being allowed an overrun up to 12 hours once, we can't expect everyone's life to revolve around a draft. Believe me, the wife gets royally pissed off and demands extended "quality time" every now and then!

EDogen

I was hoping and thought that Laudrup would go later, but him being from Denmark is a good thing in this draft.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Of course you can, distancing yourself from the mythology of him is precisely what you have to do in order to be objective.

You don't have to convince me that he was a great player, I know he was. And for all we know he may have become as good as Maradona, Di Stefano or Pele if the tradgedy never happened - but as it is, that's a huge 'what if'.

Okay, he came third in the Ballon D'Or, that's great for his age and proves how talented he was. However it doesn't sit in the same league as the achievements of someone like Cruyff, who won the fecking thing three times, won the European Cup three times, was the best player at the 1974 World Cup. It's black and white mate.

antohan

I was hoping and thought that Laudrup would go later, but him being from Denmark is a good thing in this draft.
Indeed. As I said, bigger vote winners out there and not an easy sell for those who haven't seen him in action, but the flexibility afforded somewhat makes up for it. Risky pick, but down here at 13th I will have to take risks, be a bit left-field... and hope I don't get too lousy a knockout matchup :nervous:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Of course you can, distancing yourself from the mythology of him is precisely what you have to do in order to be objective.

You don't have to convince me that he was a great player, I know he was. And for all we know he may have become as good as Maradona, Di Stefano or Pele if the tradgedy never happened - but as it is, that's a huge 'what if'.

Okay, he came third in the Ballon D'Or, that's great for his age and proves how talented he was. However it doesn't sit in the same league as the achievements of someone like Cruyff, who won the fecking thing three times, won the European Cup three times, was the best player at the 1974 World Cup. It's black and white mate.
The way I see it, Edwards is as good as anyone in his position and anyone from his nation and that mythology will be what many of the voters are thinking of. Plus England are one of the better nations to get out of the way first whereas the likes of Holland, France, Brazil and Argentina are ones you'd ideally like to save for a round or two.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Those left to pick should pm thier second picks to someone too if they think they may be going offline...

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Quite simply the most brilliant player of his generation and probably France's greatest ever (sorry Gio, but it is close) World and European Cup winning Zinedine Zidane.

Antohan: 1. Laudrup
Stobzilla: 1. Zidane

Fergus' son

We should be able to get quite a few picks done by tonight if we are smart about it, PMs people!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yep. Seeing as I'm not playing people can PM me there picks if they are going offline. I've always got my phone on me so will be able to check throughout the day.

antohan

People are reasonably reluctant to PM picks this early as every pick can completely change your gameplan. As we go along I'm sure we will get a lot more of it, particularly with the number of teams. Once paceme is done he has 30 picks to wait for (which I guess is what is getting you so anxious Fergus'son :lol:).

This is actually moving pretty quickly relative to other drafts. Good job everyone.

Fergus' son

Yep. Seeing as I'm not playing people can PM me there picks if they are going offline. I've always got my phone on me so will be able to check throughout the day.

Nice one!

People are reasonably reluctant to PM picks this early as every pick can completely change your gameplan. As we go along I'm sure we will get a lot more of it, particularly with the number of teams. Once paceme is done he has 30 picks to wait for (which I guess is what is getting you so anxious Fergus'son :lol:).

This is actually moving pretty quickly relative to other drafts. Good job everyone.
Fair enough!

I think I'll be PMing my picks to someone later because I won't be around much on the weekend. I'll give a list of a few names with stipulations on who to choose form the list etc, it usually works fine.

My main point was for people like Stobzilla and isotope, who will make a pick and then be required to make a pick quite soon after, I think they could pm someone (who will pick after them) thier choices if they are going offline. Will prevent unnecessary waits.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Judging by the Caf's Top 25 vote this is a real feckup of a pick relative to some obvious more recent caftard favourites but nevertheless, up there with the very best I've ever seen. That game in Mexico still gives me nightmares.

The artistry of the old school meets the directness of the modern game: Michael Laudrup

[.

The guy on the left looks about 60, and isn't wearing shin pads :nervous:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite