Alvaro Morata

Godfather

What does that tell you
That he scored almost at the same ratio Morata did albeit being surrounded by worse players?
I've already said his character and daft behavior outside the pitch prevented him from getting where he should have been purely from his abilities. Which is a shame. Doesn't mean he's a bad player. Been comfortably better than Alaba for our NT for the last 10 years.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That he scored almost at the same ratio Morata did albeit being surrounded by worse players?
I've already said his character and daft behavior outside the pitch prevented him from getting where he should have been purely from his abilities. Which is a shame. Doesn't mean he's a bad player. Been comfortably better than Alaba for our NT for the last 10 years.
Or that he wasn't good enough for a top team.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Any excuse to post this. Absolutely astonishing compilation for a single season.
No doubting he's a below average finisher, but calling some of these 'sitters' is using the term extremely loosely.

Godfather

Or that he wasn't good enough for a top team.
I mostly think no top club wanted to really put with him considering his behaviour. Plus he's quite injury prone. I do believe he would have done better at Chelsea than say Morata though. But who knows. I always thought it was a shame he was such a daft cnut because he had so much ability.

Gandalf

Don't know what these stats are supposed to prove other than there's not much between them. Anrautovic also played for a vastly worse team and often on the wing. There simply isn't much between them from a pure footballing side of things. So the narrative tut Morata is "by far" the better player is simply wrong. He isn't, never was and never will be.
Following your logic I am confident in now declaring Kieffer Moore to be better than both of them.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Morata's first half of his first season for us was genuinely excellent - the issue with him at the time was his mentality, and in fairness that was almost certainly exacerbated by us having Antonio Conte at the time who wanted Lukaku over him from the jump.

In January he picked up a niggling back injury and one of his best mates committed suicide - and for as much as I will always love Conte he might be the worst manager imaginable to be empathetic given those circumstances.

Comparisons to Arnautovic are laughable; Morata is miles better and is the sort of player who augments those around him.

Kag

I think he’d be good support for Ronaldo and Martial, to be honest.

I understand the hysteria surrounding the midfield situation, given just how many good midfielders have already moved this summer, but the striking market is awful.

Haaland went to City, and the next best striker on the market was already at City in Jesus, so we weren’t getting him.

Ronaldo and Martial isn’t enough, so beggars can’t be choosers right now.

Trequarista10

This is a logical and reasoned perspective. Sadly, on here such posts are usually met with unreasonable, absolutist, emotional responses.

Godfather

This is a logical and reasoned perspective. Sadly, on here such posts are usually met with unreasonable, absolutist, emotional responses.
To be honest I get the dislike for Arnautovic. Been a daft cnut many times. But I doubt many have actually watched him play football regularly. He's really been a pretty decent player that sadly never reached his ceiling. Anyway let's move on from that discussion. I wouldn't be against Morata at all. Could prove to be a good player for us and actually excites me the most than any of the other players we have been linked with recently. Certainly more than Rabiot...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He also took penalties. And their rates are nowhere near the same.

Morata: 22 NPG+A in 3010 PL minutes = 136.8 min per contribution
Arnautovic: 73 NPG+A in 14044 PL minutes = 192.3 min per contribution

Godfather

He also took penalties. And their rates are nowhere near the same.

Morata: 22 NPG+A in 3010 PL minutes = 136.8 min per contribution
Arnautovic: 73 NPG+A in 14044 PL minutes = 192.3 min per contribution
Nowhere near is a stretch. Also: Playing for Stoke. I think he could have actually done better for you than Morata did. Would have fitted you more.

Trequarista10

To be honest I get the dislike for Arnautovic. Been a daft cnut many times. But I doubt many have actually watched him play football regularly. He's really been a pretty decent player that sadly never reached his ceiling. Anyway let's move on from that discussion. I wouldn't be against Morata at all. Could prove to be a good player for us and actually excites me the most than any of the other players we have been linked with recently. Certainly more than Rabiot...
Agree, I think Morata would be decent. Ultimately he'd probably end up doing OK but not quite good enough to become or to remain first choice for long, which is essentially what happened to him at all of his clubs. So in that sense, I see the logic of going for a veteran backup or a youngster who'd be happier playing 2nd choice. But Morata would probably be a better player in the immediate future, and we're so bad at the moment that a good short term signing is sufficient.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Nowhere near is a stretch. Also: Playing for Stoke. I think he could have actually done better for you than Morata did. Would have fitted you more.
I mean that's more or less a ~40% difference. Pretty stark. The argument about Stoke is absolutely valid though.

I also see what you're saying in terms of Arnautovic potentially being better than Morata for us - but where I think the argument falls down is that Conte demands relentless workrate out of possession and there is a huge gap between what Morata offers there and what Arnautovic does.

Godfather

I mean that's more or less a ~40% difference. Pretty stark. The argument about Stoke is absolutely valid though.

I also see what you're saying in terms of Arnautovic potentially being better than Morata for us - but where I think the argument falls down is that Conte demands relentless workrate out of possession and there is a huge gap between what Morata offers there and what Arnautovic does.
You might be surprised but Arnautovic actually works his bollocks off (at least for the NT).

After coming back from China his stamina was a huge problem though for a bit of time, he seems to be decently fit now again though. It's something I like about Morata too though. Very good workrate and something we really need for the way ETH wants us to play.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You might be surprised but Arnautovic actually works his bollocks off (at least for the NT).

After coming back from China his stamina was a huge problem though for a bit of time, he seems to be decently fit now again though. It's something I like about Morata too though. Very good workrate and something we really need for the way ETH wants us to play.
I've actually always had a weird affinity for Arnautovic as a player - maybe down to me being someone who's 1.96m tall who secretly harbours aspirations of playing high up the pitch (but is always stuck at CB or in goal :mad:) .

Definitely agree that he's been a very hard worker for the NT and credit to him - but at club level I don't think there's a comparison. Not to be assumptive but I also don't get the impression EtH is the sort of brutal trainer to get the top level of workrate out of a given player - so I'd argue Morata would be a better fit in that respect since I think he's coming from a much higher floor.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He’s literally the best attacking player we’ve been linked with outside of Antony - which says a lot about the utter shit show this window has been but this is the situation we find ourselves in. Apparently we aren’t interested though.

jesperjaap

Hate when people say we need a certain player as they work hard, granted we have a few that dont that should have been kicked out long ago, but that should be the bare minimum.

We need hungry players that work hard, have good quality and the potential to grow individually and have a wining mentality and are positive in the dressing room.

I dont see how any of the players we have been linked to the last couple of days fit into those needs.

Ten Hag said we need the right players, its an utter farce fro him if we make any of these signings and Rabiot at least seems quite likely. How are these the right players when it seems no other clubs seem interested in them?

This summer looks lik ebeing the biggest farce of a window considering just what we needed to do in the clubs history that I can remember, absolutely shambolic and both in and out, it looks like an even grander scale of so many mistakes we have made in oru recent history.

SAying we need these players possibly shows just how far we have fallen, none of them are quality signings for anybody in the top 6/7 clubs in the premiership, we are an absolute joke at the moment, it feels almost unreal how ridiculous this window has been

criticalanalysis

I was one of those who wanted him over lukaku at the time. I think he’s a good footballer if not much of a good footballer. He holds the line well, good in the air, brings others into play. Could work well in an ETH system. For a loan or low fee I’d take a punt
Same.

Everytime I watch him play, I think he's got all qualities to be an elite no.9 but then the finishing man. Technical, works hard, has good feet, moves well, good speed, passes and links up well but like Werner seems to sh|t the bed in and around the box.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Of all the remaining options out there for us, I think he would be by far the best choice all things considered. Rabiot, Morata and a left footed right winger would do me nicely.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Don't want to hear more british announcers mispronouncing his name as "Al-VAR-o" morata..

its fecking Alva-roe

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Wouldn't mind him. Should have been bought instead of Lukaku.

ti vu

Right now, I am desperate enough to lean over yes. He's weak mentality, but it's better than nobody, or wishful thinking with that Gakpo kid who is not a proper CF.

Morata is less shite than Haller for West Ham, so one can only hope.

Smores

Out of all the options it's a bit disappointing that we're not showing more ambition. However I think for a reasonable fee or loan he'd do the job for now.

I just hope we don't give him stupid wages.

I'm not convinced he'll want to come. He wanted Juventus and reportedly turned down Arsenal so you have to think he's wanting CL.

ArjenIsM3

Honestly if he's available for a cheap price and alright with being a rotation player I wouldn't mind this move.