Alvaro Morata

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
At what? Hold up play? No. Finishing? No. Technically? No. He sure has better stamina as Arnautovic has fecked himself up in that sense during his days in China but apart from that I'm not sure where Morata is that much better. He'd give us more years and isn't a complete tool but talking purely about the footballing side of things I'm not sure.
Arnautovic is a better finisher. Morata is better at literally everything else.

Godfather

Arnautovic is a better finisher. Morata is better at literally everything else.
He isn't though. Morata is weak as piss. Arnautovic is strong as an ox. Hold up play is top notch. Technically I'd say both are pretty decent. All round play is about the same too. Morata is the more intelligent player probably but Arnautovic got a lot better in that respect over the years. So I politely disagree but I'm actually not against getting him. We need bodies up front and at least he isn't a complete donkey as Lukaku for example (although he sure as hell doesn't score as much)

Berbaclass

He isn't though. Morata is weak as piss. Arnautovic is strong as an ox. Hold up play is top notch. Technically I'd say both are pretty decent. All round play is about the same too. Morata is the more intelligent player probably but Arnautovic got a lot better in that respect over the years.
I respect your opinion mate but I agree to disagree.

dove

I think the key point, which seems to be ignored, is that he was offered to us, doesn't mean we are interested in it though. I just don't see why would we be interested in him, we need someone to score goals and Morata is clearly not an answer to that. Better than Arnautovic, I will give him that.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I just spent 3 minutes trying to figure out where he plays nowadays. Then I realised he was playing up top in the game I was at 10 days ago. Bloke is one of the most pointless and forgettable footballer there exists.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Morata has spent his career playing for clubs like Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus and Atletico while Arnautovic has spent his at Bremen, Stoke, West Ham, Shanghai Port and Bologna, while being valued for a lot less money throughout.

I would suggest that reflects a broad consensus on which of the two is a better footballer.

Berbaclass

I think the key point, which seems to be ignored, is that he was offered to us, doesn't mean we are interested in it though. I just don't see why would we be interested in him, we need someone to score goals and Morata is clearly not an answer to that. Better than Arnautovic, I will give him that.
Scoring goals is not necessarily about getting a goalscorer. I feel like Morata would bring a greater balance to the team in attack and would therefore mean we are more effective going forward and would score more goals.

avgp_1

He is the ultimate stop gap option, seems to move every summer

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I just spent 3 minutes trying to figure out where he plays nowadays. Then I realised he was playing up top in the game I was at 10 days ago. Bloke is one of the most pointless and forgettable footballer there exists.
Tbf he had just scored 3 goals against Juve like 2 days ago.

Godfather

Morata has spent his career playing for clubs like Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus and Atletico while Arnautovic has spent his at Bremen, Stoke, West Ham, Shanghai Port and Bologna, while being available for a lot less money.

I would suggest that reflects a broad consensus on which of the two is a better footballer.
Not really. Arnautovic was and still is a tool which prevented him from getting where he should be footballing wise. Also he actually carried Stoke during his time there and also had a very good season last year. When did Morata have the last good season?

Loony BoB

Are we really worrying about how he compares to a racist? Good lord. I'm sure Morata might compare poorly to Greenwood on the pitch, I don't give a rat's arse.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hopefully he doesn’t dye his hair red until the transfer is confirmed this time

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Morata and Ronaldo in a front 2 wouldn’t be too bad, honestly. Morata doing the running down alleyways and playing with his back to defenders, Ronaldo to score goals. Did they play together at Juventus?

Godfather

Are we really worrying about how he compares to a racist? Good lord. I'm sure Morata might compare poorly to Greenwood on the pitch, I don't give a rat's arse.
That's a different matter though. Nobody suggested we should have got Arnautovic. We were simply comparing them footballing wise and I don't see Morata as a huge upgrade in that sense.

Berbaclass

Morata was absolutely fecking gash for Chelsea, under both Conte and Sarri. What has changed that makes you think he'll suddenly be brilliant in England now?
His all round game is brilliant and exactly what we need from a forward, who would come in as a rotation option for a modest fee.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Morata’s a physical striker in the sense that Welbeck is a physical striker. Mobile, tall, holds the ball up well. They both lack aggression but they both have days where the centre back can’t get a hold of them, like Welbeck this weekend. Definitely think we need a striker like that. Clearly we don’t have the right options for a false 9 and Rashford is just not the right player to step into that.

redcucumber

His all round game is brilliant and exactly what we need from a forward, who would come in as a rotation option for a modest fee.
We need a forward that can actually score. Morata is famously a bad finisher. I don't understand why people are giddy about this.

redcucumber

Arnautovic, Morata, Rabiot. Something feels to have gone disastrously wrong.

Davie Moyes

Is there anyone out there that our fanbase don't turn their noses up to?

This guy would be a decent option. Not the best finisher but very good all round play. Which is what we are not very good at as a team. We don't progress play, we hardly create chances etc. Let's sort out our play as a team first.

mu4c_20le

The one positive thing I can think of is that he did play with Ronaldo for one season and did well, albeit in serie a.

dove

Scoring goals is not necessarily about getting a goalscorer. I feel like Morata would bring a greater balance to the team in attack and would therefore mean we are more effective going forward and would score more goals.
Possibly. Maybe I am a bit too harsh on him but I don't rate him at all, the Lukaku vs Morata battle was hilarious at the time.

redcucumber

Possibly. Maybe I am a bit too harsh on him but I don't rate him at all, the Lukaku vs Morata battle was hilarious at the time.
And Lukaku actually won that battle and was much better than Morata was. Yet here we are, going back in for Morata years down the line. I don't understand our strategy, assuming we move forward with this.

Judas

Open to offers
He doesn't score nearly enough. If you're going to be 3rd choice, you want someone who can come in and make an impact, you know score goals? It's a massive no from me. Another signing that would be deadwood this time next year.

Holocene

Averaged 1 goal in every 3 games at Chelsea in case anyone was wondering.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I know we're scraping the bowl but if we want a goalscorer we were more on the right lines with Arnautovic than we were with Morata..

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Define physical
He doesn't get shrugged off, doesn't fall to the ground from soft challenges, gets stuck into tackles, etc. Arnautovic is stronger than Morata in pretty much every physical way.

CM

I wouldn't mind him, honestly.

Aren't Atleti trying to shift his wages? A loan deal could work until we (hopefully) get our shit together and find a more viable long-term alternative.

Bwuk

I wouldn’t mind him either, his all round game is very good. Not sure how he fits in as a starter though.

Abraxas

I quite like him. Not the world's best finisher but quite an all round striker. He was appalling at Chelsea which would be a major concern. They obviously rate him on the continent if you look at where he's been.

If we absolutely have to be in this stop gap market, which I don't like at all, then he's one of the better ones if he's available.

The_Midfielder

And Lukaku actually won that battle and was much better than Morata was. Yet here we are, going back in for Morata years down the line. I don't understand our strategy, assuming we move forward with this.
Morata is a better player than Lukaku..
He just somehow end up missing goals..
And somehow scores amazing goals..
Watch his header against us from a cross by Azpi I think.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He doesn't score nearly enough. If you're going to be 3rd choice, you want someone who can come in and make an impact, you know score goals? It's a massive no from me. Another signing that would be deadwood this time next year.
You want someone who can provide something different, change the game for you. He's very good in the air, very good hold up play, very good at backing into defenders and giving us something the play the ball into. Its a signing that would give us an out ball if we are struggling with the build up in a game and be able to link up with our forwards to get us in dangerous positions. He also runs non stop and is very good defensively from a forwards perspective. There's a lot to like and he absolutely would change games for us.

Abraxas

He's not a donkey.

He's just not very good at putting the ball in the net, which is his job.
He's not, but he's still a 1 in 3 man, slightly better for Spain.

If the profile is a patch up job, it's going to be hard to find someone lashing in goals every game. There has to be a reason they're available with a few weeks to go, whether that be age, goalscoring record etc.

Personally I'd rather we do a proper job on the striker position, but it seems abundantly clear that is not happening.