Alvaro Morata

Yagami

Good post resistant
Why are we only linked to the wrong Juve players? Morata has been terrible. Rabiot has been terrible. Could’ve gone for Kulusevski. Could’ve gone for Arthur.

Big sighs.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Morata is a good player and he know Premier so he will definitely an option. Still a top striker, if you ask me to choose between Lukaku and Morata then it will be Morata.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Why are we only linked to the wrong Juve players? Morata has been terrible. Rabiot has been terrible. Could’ve gone for Kulusevski. Could’ve gone for Arthur.

Big sighs.
Arthur? He’s an abysmal one paced backwards passing CM who has zero passing range.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Arthur? He’s an abysmal one paced backwards passing CM who has zero passing range.
He’s one of the most press resistant players I’ve EVER seen. Juve’s win record - along with their performances in general - are night and day when he’s in the team compared to when he’s out of it.

Same for Brazil. It’s no coincidence to me that they won the Copa the year he played every game, and dominated every opponent, compared to the recent one in which he didn’t play.

Only Frenkie and Verratti are as press resistant as him.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Big sighs.
Because Juve doesn't want to sell the non-wrong players. That is why

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Morata is a good player and he know Premier so he will definitely an option. Still a top striker, if you ask me to choose between Lukaku and Morata then it will be Morata.
Do you even watch EPL? Based on what exactly is Morata a "good player"?!

Brophs

The One and Only
Ever since Darmian left, we haven’t had a player who looked like he might spontaneously burst into tears at any point due to the pressure.

Enter Morata. So to speak.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Morata must of sold his soul to still be able to paly for big clubs.

Worst talent to CV ratio I've ever seen.
Talent is always there but he is fragile mentally. Players like him should have personal psychologists. They need to get away from doomed mentality for missing chances.

It would be hilarious if you signed him. Now you needed tough players who can shoulder the wait of expectations. Morota not one of them i am afraid.

Redlyn

Pretty much any striker would be chosen over Lukaku to be fair.

Jama18418

Pretty much any striker would be chosen over Lukaku to be fair.
Why aren't people open to admit we aren't what we use to be and right now Morata would start for us. Loan with an option to buy would be a great bit of business. They've let Juve have him for years on loan. Why not try it ourselves.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Surprised to see people okay with this. We need better IMO. Even if we get less developed players, the upside would be greater there.

ti vu

Surprised to see people okay with this. We need better IMO. Even if we get less developed players, the upside would be greater there.
The issue here is availability. At this point, I don't even see any potential good less developed players available. Being more desperate when we may end up with another episode of Amad and Pellestri signings.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The issue here is availability. At this point, I don't even see any potential good less developed players available.
May as well wait out a year and sign a striker next summer than saddle it with players well have to get rid of soon. We can improve the midfield and other areas for now

ti vu

May as well wait out a year and sign a striker next summer than saddle it with players well have to get rid of soon. We can improve the midfield and other areas for now
We don't have that luxury if Ronaldo leaves. If this team doesn't score enough to at least show progress, there would be no next year for EtH. And it would be another overhaul even with ETH midfield signings.

As shit as Morata maybe, he can play the role of Welbeck for Brighton which is much more serviceable than nobody up front.

Last edited:

redcucumber

Ever since Darmian left, we haven’t had a player who looked like he might spontaneously burst into tears at any point due to the pressure.

Enter Morata. So to speak.
Yeh, we're chockablock with players that are pretty mentally fragile. Probably best we don't add to the roster.

AndySmith1990

I'd prefer him over Arnautovic, but that's the biggest backhanded compliment I could think of

Abraxas

I don't think anyone is oblivious to his record at Chelsea or his overall goalscoring return being less than optimal.

I think what they're saying is, if Ronaldo leaves we have one half of a striker, one that happens to currently be injured, hasn't performed for a few years and is unreliable. We don't have a list of exciting targets of any profile and we probably also don't have the finances after a midfielder even if we did.

Therefore we need someone on short notice that is a foil for the forwards we have and gives an option. Someone with some physical presence that can run the channels, hold the ball and chip in is not to be sniffed at in those circumstances. It's just a stop gap for our stop gap leaving, no way around that. Shouldn't have happened with good squad planning.

crossy1686

career ending
16 pl goals in 50 games as a nr 9 in a top team is shit. Have people forgotten how bad he was in the PL?
He was terrible. Missed sitters for fun, then got depression apparently and longed for a move back to Spain. There’s a certain mental frailty we should avoid at all costs, it would be like Lukaku all over again.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He was terrible. Missed sitters for fun, then got depression apparently and longed for a move back to Spain. There’s a certain mental frailty we should avoid at all costs, it would be like Lukaku all over again.
Because he was depressed he’s mentally fragile? :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
16 pl goals in 50 games as a nr 9 in a top team is shit. Have people forgotten how bad he was in the PL?
Looking at games is silly though considering he was barely used under Sarri. He played 3010 minutes in the PL. That's ~33.4 90s. Had 22 NPG+A, so a contribution every ~137 minutes.

He's a poor finisher but does everything else you'd want a striker to do. Hard working, good in the air and at hold up play, and a far better passer than he's given credit for.

Denis79

Looking at games is silly though considering he was barely used under Sarri. He played 3010 minutes in the PL. That's ~33.4 90s. Had 22 NPG+A, so a contribution every ~137 minutes.

He's a poor finisher but does everything else you'd want a striker to do. Hard working, good in the air and at hold up play, and a far better passer than he's given credit for.
He's a terrible finisher. At the time he was there Chelsea were PL champions and soon to be CL winners and he looked terrible. Imagine him playing for a team 'in trouble' like us. We all agreed Lukaku looked thrice the player then, says it all how poor he was.

Denis79

And we are a far weaker team than that Chelsea side.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's a terrible finisher. At the time he was there Chelsea were PL champions and soon to be CL winners and he looked terrible. Imagine him playing for a team 'in trouble' like us. We all agreed Lukaku looked thrice the player then, says it all how poor he was.
Calling us soon to be CL winners is generous considering we were two managerial changes away from getting the guy who won it, but I take your point. That said, it's easy to forget how toxic the atmosphere around Chelsea was during Conte's second season.

Morata is a pretty poor finisher, yes. That doesn't mean he can't offer plenty to a team surrounded by other quality players. I'd genuinely rather have him leading the line than Ronaldo if I were you.

Denis79

Calling us soon to be CL winners is generous considering we were two managerial changes away from getting the guy who won it, but I take your point. That said, it's easy to forget how toxic the atmosphere around Chelsea was during Conte's second season.

Morata is a pretty poor finisher, yes. That doesn't mean he can't offer plenty to a team surrounded by other quality players. I'd genuinely rather have him leading the line than Ronaldo if I were you.
If he was the only option on the planet fine, but he's not. If we pretend to have ambitions we shouldn't go for a mentally frail PL failure. And you think this fanbase isn't toxic? Or that he won't feel the pressure here? We should stay far away from Morata.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
cbf scrolling through the thread, i hope the bump was not due to any concrete links but just because of gowl-acting

not good enough

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If he was the only option on the planet fine, but he's not. If we pretend to have ambitions we shouldn't go for a mentally frail PL failure. And you think this fanbase isn't toxic? Or that he won't feel the pressure here? We should stay far away from Morata.
Sorry if this comes across as a dickhead post, but what other options are there at this point? He's certainly far better than Arnautovic. Is there anything else credible now that Sesko has signed for Leipzig?

Denis79

Sorry if this comes across as a dickhead post, but what other options are there at this point? He's certainly far better than Arnautovic. Is there anything else credible now that Sesko has signed for Leipzig?
If there is no one then I rather rotate Ronaldo, Martial and Rashford in that position and give Garnacho more time on the wings than sign Morata. Scamacca, Osimhen, Sesko, Toney are all players that I think would do better than Morata.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If there is no one then I rather rotate Ronaldo, Martial and Rashford in that position and give Garnacho more time on the wings than sign Morata. Scamacca, Osimhen, Sesko, Toney are all players that I think would do better than Morata.
Fair enough - but Rashford hasn't scored since January I think? And Ronaldo is openly trying to leave; Martial was already more or less forced out as well. If I were you and Morata was available for ~€15-20m I'd rather have him as an option as I think he brings far more physicality, hold-up play, and work out of possession than any of those 3 (especially if they are unmotivated for whatever reason).

100% agree that the 4 you've listed are all better options - but 2 of them have already moved this summer, and forgive me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen any concrete links for moves for the other 2. Osimhen would cost at least €100m I'd reckon given what Napoli paid and their previous when it comes to negotiations, and Toney might cost something like €60m given how late we are in the transfer window and Brentford likely being unwilling to sell.

Denis79

Fair enough - but Rashford hasn't scored since January I think? And Ronaldo is openly trying to leave; Martial was already more or less forced out as well. If I were you and Morata was available for ~€15-20m I'd rather have him as an option as I think he brings far more physicality, hold-up play, and work out of possession than any of those 3 (especially if they are unmotivated for whatever reason).

100% agree that the 4 you've listed are all better options - but 2 of them have already moved this summer, and forgive me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen any concrete links for moves for the other 2. Osimhen would cost at least €100m I'd reckon given what Napoli paid and their previous when it comes to negotiations, and Toney might cost something like €60m given how late we are in the transfer window and Brentford likely being unwilling to sell.
Well we like to claim that we are ambitious. Ambition in football costs money. Or we can just admit we just want to be able to float around the top 6 and buy Morata.

wormdoktor

Across his career FBref has him with 189 games across 12 seasons and 5 clubs, producing 106 goals and 45 assists. That's 0.55 goals and 0.23 assists per 90 min. That's not a bad scoring rate, but he seems a player more likely to flounder in our current squad than to elevate us.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well we like to claim that we are ambitious. Ambition in football costs money. Or we can just admit we just want to be able to float around the top 6 and buy Morata.
Hah and I think therein lies the disconnect - United are obviously the biggest club in the country and should be truly ambitious, but you have parasitic owners happy to sign commercial deals with anyone so they can leech off bigger dividends. You should be after the likes of those you mentioned I completely agree - I just don't think it's realistic given you're looking in the bargain bin for the likes of Rabiot and Arnautovic. My general point is that Morata has been somewhat underrated here based on the posts and is a far better player than those two - I genuinely think it could be a very savvy move at the rumoured price given the state of your squad.

Across his career FBref has him with 189 games across 12 seasons and 5 clubs, producing 106 goals and 45 assists. That's 0.55 goals and 0.23 assists per 90 min. That's not a bad scoring rate, but he seems a player more likely to flounder in our current squad than to elevate us.
Yeah could see that being the case. I do think some of his mental struggles are being overstated - whilst he's openly talked about the unfortunate confluence of factors that derailed his first year at Chelsea, I do think it's being overlooked that Conte is perhaps the worst manager imaginable to play for if you're dealing with a mental health crisis and that was almost certainly an exacerbating factor.

Really though I just think his strengths would help elevate others at the club - in many ways he's the opposite of Ronaldo in terms of selfishness, workrate, ostentatiousness, hold-up play, willingness to pass, etc. Personally I never thought the Ronaldo signing made sense for you and for me letting the likes of Sancho, Bruno, and Rashford step out of Ronaldo's shadow with a player able and willing to facilitate would lift the team significantly.