6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFreshKing

City have Sterling, Mahrez, Torres, B. Silva, and Foden, Jesus and maybe new striker for 3 attacking spots.

We have Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, Bruno,James and Amad for 4 spots, of which I don't think Martial and James are good enough and Amad is too young. And we can't get Sancho? How the heck are we supposed to challenge for the title?
City also have Rodri and Fernandinho, Diaz, Stones, Laporte. I don't think people want to miss out on Sancho, but not at the expense of a CB and CDM because our owners can't or won't invest the required amount will leave us fighting for CL spots again. It doesn't matter how good your attacking bench is if you starting CB and DM constantly ship goals.

Last edited:

Alemar

Assume Sancho is coming this sumner, there no chance we would play Diallo ahead of Sancho or Greenwood.
Sancho is versatile and can play on the left, Greenwood may play up top. So taking rotation needs into account, Amad can definitely hope to get James’ type of minutes even with Sancho on board. But, of course James himself would need to be disposed of

bsCallout

Sancho is versatile and can play on the left, Greenwood may play up top. So taking rotation needs into account, Amad can definitely hope to get James’ type of minutes even with Sancho on board. But, of course James himself would need to be disposed of
We'd have
Amad who can play CAM/RW
Sancho who can play RW/LW
Greenwood who can play RW/CF
Rashford who can play LW/CF
Martial LW/CF (could leave)

Could add Elanga to that as RW/LW too.

Then we have Cavani.

Not bad at all that.

Alemar

We'd have
Amad who can play CAM/RW

Then we have Cavani.

Not bad at all that.
We also have Pellistri, Shoretire, Hugill and Hannibal, all of those may play some attacking roles (as well as Bruno). And you omitted Pogba

bsCallout

We also have Pellistri, Shoretire, Hugill and Hannibal, all of those may play some attacking roles (as well as Bruno). And you omitted Pogba
It's be nice if we could loan one of them out to Dortmund as part of the Sancho deal to get them minutes they wouldn't otherwise get.

Hughes35

Really like the look of him. Reminds me a bit of somebody like Sterling?

Hope he works hard and kicks on next season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Definitely got the same stature and low centre of gravity. If he can become a more lethal Sterling we'd have a hell of a player on our hands.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Not a bad comparison. The body feints are what I like. But he definitely seems less quick that someone like Sterling but I see the similarities in how they move.

romufc

I really hope he has a bigger role to play next year. He has had the 6 months of bedding in, understanding the English game.

He looked ready to play to me yesterday, ofcourse he makes mistakes like taking too many players on at times however; he will learn.

We cannot rely on him as our main RW, which is why Sancho is still required.

Sancho, Diallo, Rashy, Pogba, Martial and on occassions Greenwood to play LW/RW

Cavani / Greenwood rotate up top.

I mean we have had many games where James and Mata have played out wide so no doubt Diallo can get 20 odd games a season.

RedRJ

First time I’ve been really impressed with him and felt that more regular appearances wouldn’t be too far away. I also really liked how he seemed to be helping Williams by showing for the ball - he looked far more composed than Brandon. Finally, don’t know if it’s my imagination, but he looked bulkier yesterday; needs to put on a lot more muscle but the process seems to have started.

Reactions: Dargonk

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am sure Rashford or Pogba would be preferred on the left, while Cavani or Martial or new CF signings would be preferred up front instead. Realistically Diallo would have to fight with Sancho and Greenwood for a spot on the right. At best Diallo could be our 7th choice for a spot among front 3. Saying that I assume James would be gone after we had signed Sancho. Loaning him out would be best option for him to further developed his game, he needs that.

And no, I don’t think Greenwood is ready to play no.9 role for us yet. It requires a lot of holding up play, or target man positioning, where Greenwood isn’t good at. He is at his best “cut in and shoot” type of forward, hence right wing forward role suits him far better, at least for now.

Last edited:

mav_9me

City also have Rodri and Fernandinho, Diaz, Stones, Laporte. I don't think people want to miss out on Sancho, but not at the expense of a CB and CDM because our owners can't or won't invest the required amount will leave us fighting for CL spots again. It doesn't matter how good your attacking bench is if you starting CB and DM constantly ship goals.
You misunderstand.

My post was in the context of discussion about room for Sancho and Amad among our attackers, which I believe there is more than enough room.

You are talking about prioritizing CB and CDM over RW. Which I understand. I'd personally go for CDM and Sancho but I get your pov.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I'd say more of a young Mata/David Silva. He's definitely a playmaker type based on technique rather than being an explosive player with speed being important to his game.

rotherham_red

Definitely got the same stature and low centre of gravity. If he can become a more lethal Sterling we'd have a hell of a player on our hands.
He's much more of a playmaker than a finisher at this stage. I'd say Mahrez is the most apt comparison for him. Silky smooth.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I absolutely loved watching him yesterday. He is obviously too young and inexperienced to judge yet, but on yesterday's performance alone it's clear to see how much talent he has.

Adam-Utd

He's much more of a playmaker than a finisher at this stage. I'd say Mahrez is the most apt comparison for him. Silky smooth.
Hard to know really, he took most of his chances in the reserves pretty well i'd say.

I do think though that he's the type who enjoys playing with the ball, rather than going straight for the kill at every opportunity. He'd suit a possession based side, probably why he worked well with Mata and VDB

r0663664

Worships Man City
Sorry guys, I see a lot of positive posts about his performance yesterday but I didn’t see a lot that convince me that he can XI next season. He was neat and tidy in possession, didn’t struggle physically, able to win some tackles, provide a beautiful pass to James. What I didn’t see was raw pace to beat a defender, taking on defender and beating them, did he put in any dangerous cross into the box? I don’t remember. Time his run to be in a scoring position. I thought Elanga actually has more threat cutting in from the wing. I really hope Amad turns out well, I really do.

bsCallout

Sorry guys, I see a lot of positive posts about his performance yesterday but I didn’t see a lot that convince me that he can XI next season. He was neat and tidy in possession, didn’t struggle physically, able to win some tackles, provide a beautiful pass to James. What I didn’t see was raw pace to beat a defender, taking on defender and beating them, did he put in any dangerous cross into the box? I don’t remember. Time his run to be in a scoring position. I thought Elanga actually has more threat cutting in from the wing. I really hope Amad turns out well, I really do.
Amad was playing CF, he wasn't going to be putting in crosses.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's not going to be a starting XI player next season. Don't worry.

RedDevilzFox

He looked good yesterday and that's not overhyping our young players. He did look well put together, sure there are some rough edges but I'd like to see him in the 1st team relatively regularly soon.

pseudo_canadian

Love his technique and also his composure on the ball. Has a good sense of what’s around him and has good control of the ball. He’s got great potential.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The thing that gets me most is that deftness to his play. In his touches and dribbling, and in his passes. That through ball to James was weighted expertly.

It’s that level of sort of poise and slickness that’s just natural to a player or not - part of why I think we paid the big bucks for him.

Love his work rate too, he charges up and down and presses well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Beating a defender for pace isn’t the only way to play football. He looks to be far more of a playmaking winger — one who’s going to drift from the right infield a lot more. Elanga was also playing in his preferred spot whilst Amad was playing as a make shift CF.

Marwood

I think he'll end up keeping Bruno on his toes more than whoever is RW.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
His positioning to receive the ball and timing in releasing it is way mature for just a kiddo. Too early for him to tear PL apart, but with Hannibal they'll definitely speed up the tempo of United's buildups in future.

If Mata and Jesse leaving he can get almost tons of games next season.

Sea-Cow

I don't see it. Sterling has blistering, flat-out pace and lightning quickness. Amad is more Mata-like with touch, body feints etc.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't see it. Sterling has blistering, flat-out pace and lightning quickness. Amad is more Mata-like with touch, body feints etc.
Agreed. He's nothing like Sterling. I'd say he's a mix of Franck Ribery and David Silva. Ribery would've been deemed slow by some, if he was playing for us. Even Sancho's pace will be questioned if he arrives here, because at Dortmund, Achraf Hakimi used to catch up with Sancho, and pass him comfortably on counters.

Adam-Utd

Agreed. He's nothing like Sterling. I'd say he's a mix of Franck Ribery and David Silva. Ribery would've been deemed slow by some, if he was playing for us. Even Sancho's pace will be questioned if he arrives here, because at Dortmund, Achraf Hakimi used to catch up with Sancho, and pass him comfortably on counters.
The likes of Amad and Sancho are quick in the brain and fast at accelerating which is way more important than top speed anyway.

Hopefully in the future we stop needing to counter the whole length of the pitch and actually keep a bit more control of matches.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The likes of Amad and Sancho are quick in the brain and fast at accelerating which is way more important than top speed anyway.

Hopefully in the future we stop needing to counter the whole length of the pitch and actually keep a bit more control of matches.
They aren't just quick in the brain, but are quick over the first few yards which is important when playing as inside forwards. They aren't wingers in the traditional sense, hence it's the job of the fullbacks/wingbacks to provide width in the game today.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
First time I’ve been really impressed with him and felt that more regular appearances wouldn’t be too far away. I also really liked how he seemed to be helping Williams by showing for the ball - he looked far more composed than Brandon. Finally, don’t know if it’s my imagination, but he looked bulkier yesterday; needs to put on a lot more muscle but the process seems to have started.
I am not sure why people got so excited about him. He showed some glimpses of real quality but also lost a ball a lot and didn't look much fast neither strong enough for the first team. Quite certainly too good for U23 now but we shouldn't be complacent in the transfer market because Amad's still very raw.

I wouldn't mind at all if he got all the minutes from James next season though, needs strong preseason and Ole's trust and hopefully he can start refining his (rather physical) deficiencies.

Actually one think I noticed about him was his pressing which was much better than games before so that looked encouraging from my point of view.

laughtersassassin

I think People are thinking he is slower than he is tbh.

Quicker than Sancho I'd say but I don't think Sancho is that quick tbh.

jesperjaap

I am not sure why people got so excited about him. He showed some glimpses of real quality but also lost a ball a lot and didn't look much fast neither strong enough for the first team. Quite certainly too good for U23 now but we shouldn't be complacent in the transfer market because Amad's still very raw.

I wouldn't mind at all if he got all the minutes from James next season though, needs strong preseason and Ole's trust and hopefully he can start refining his (rather physical) deficiencies.

Actually one think I noticed about him was his pressing which was much better than games before so that looked encouraging from my point of view.
I think there was plenty to be excited about, but I do agree people want to love him but despite all the positives he did get muscled of the ball by Boly several times and also appeared to run into trouble a few times. I am not sure it about being raw as his intelligence and touch is beying his years already. Think as you allude to, partly the physical side, not just him being small but simply stepping up to cleverer and more experienced defenders as well as stronger and fast players. All a good learning curve for him but he looks a few months and quite a lot more time on the pitch to adapt to those demands and shine, we cant get carried away yet

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We'd have
Amad who can play CAM/RW

Then we have Cavani.

Not bad at all that.
The key difference between us and this City comparison that everyone keeps making is the profile of the players. These are predominantly under 23 and need significant investment in terms of time. Quite simply, we cannot have it all.

Amad looks special to me, and judging by the investment the club made in him, I would presume they feel the same. We have had Ronaldo, Rooney and Greenwood over recent times in this sort of profile - and they have all taken a similar role at the club. These are not regular young players - these are players that we believe are good enough to be amongst the VERY best, and as a result, they have not been limited to the ofd Carabao game, but have been very involved members of our squad. Recently we had Rashford come through in a similar capacity. When we first saw him as a striker, our move was to buy Zlatan at 35 to bridge the gap, with clear succession planning in evidence. With Greenwood, we have seemingly done similarly with Cavani. If Sancho and Amad are both seen as right wingers, then it is quite clearly a contrasting type of deal. People keep talking about ‘next season’. We can send Amad on loan as is said. Okay, then what?

Sancho is one of the best in the world as I’ve been told many times in this thread - but that is largely because of the investment Borussia Dortmund made in his development. And as I’ve said, many people seem to have an issue that WE are not doing the kind of deals Dortmund do. Well we can see why. If we don’t want to make the same kind of investment Dortmund made in Sancho, then we shouldn’t expect the same result. Which is why players who feel they can be the world’s best at that age are starting to favour them.

Now I don’t want our entire team full of 18 year olds, but I have found this right wing weakness massively overstated. I cannot accept that Greenwood’s role in our current best XI is somehow supposed to be spun as our ‘greatest need’ or something. It clearly isn’t. In fact, I’d argue that it is a position currently occupied by one of our better players. People say ‘and he’s a striker’, when he clearly isn’t at the moment. No more so than Rashford is. He plays 90% of his games on the right. And if he did so again next season, he’d likely get a lot of goals and perform well from there. Again.

If Mason is to be a 9 in a year or two, but is clearly good enough on the right to have gotten himself not only into the United side, but the England squad, then he can surely play another 40 games there next season. People should be far more concerned that McFred start weekly for us than Mason. If we, as a club, truly believe that Amad is, say, a couple of years away from being one of the best on the right, then we need to back that. And Amad being a couple of years away from being great isn’t just about time. If he were in a coma for two years he wouldn’t come out developed. He needs that couple of years to be like the couple of years Ronaldo had, the couple of years Rashford had and the last couple of hears Greenwood has had. Not the couple of years that Axel has had. You won’t get any return on that investment. If, on occasion, we buy the Amad’s or Bellingham’s of the game - we need to be prepared to almost do something close to what BVB do with them. If not, come back when they are 23 and 100m. Like we did with Pogba. And like we are basically doing with Sancho. But they absolutely need the bit that comes before that, that BVB and Juve gave them, and that we gave Ronaldo, Greenwood and Rashford.

Don’t get me wrong, if he were only behind Dan James on the right, I’d see the cause for alarm. But Mason Greenwood does not alarm me. And Sancho is no guarantee in the PL himself, and if he doesn’t hit the ground running, he will play as many minutes as we can find in order to get our 80m winger to hopefully look like one.

Wan

As good as Greenwood have been, he's not a winger. And our right side is a clear weakness in attack, ever since Nani/Valencia before they turned shit there. Everything goes through the left these days. About time we get a proper one in Sancho.

I was excited about Amad. But there's a reason Ole is not playing him much yet. He does looked good on the ball and can pass it well. With the amount of games we play, especially in the past 2 seasons, he will get plenty of game time should he impress enough in training. He should be ahead of Dan James at least. He and VDB should feature more in their 2nd season here. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.