Amad Diallo image 16

Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Good to see him playing so well, it's not just goals/assists, it's his general play and how good his passing, weight on passes is. He makes it so easier for the player receiving the pass.

He is developing well, hopefully he will be part of first team squad next season.
What I am happiest with is that Mowbray has given him a pretty big responsibility in the team. He's 20 only and yet... And he seems to embrace that responsibility.

Its nice to see the steady progression in his play, body language and attitude through his first full season. Like he scores and then quickly picks up the ball from the back of the net and then wants to rush back to the centre. A sense of ownership whilst playing at Sunderland.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What I am happiest with is that Mowbray has given him a pretty big responsibility in the team. He's 20 only and yet... And he seems to embrace that responsibility.

Its nice to see the steady progression in his play, body language and attitude through his first full season. Like he scores and then quickly picks up the ball from the back of the net and then wants to rush back to the centre. A sense of ownership whilst playing at Sunderland.
Yeah, good to see him making full use of the opportunities.

He looks player like David Silva, very elegant on the ball and plays right passes with right weight on it. Player who can dribble, create chances and also retains possession well will be great addition to the team, in the few games he played for us his work rate was very good too.

sglowrider

Yeah, good to see him making full use of the opportunities.

He looks player like David Silva, very elegant on the ball and plays right passes with right weight on it. Player who can dribble, create chances and also retains possession well will be great addition to the team, in the few games he played for us his work rate was very good too.
I think Amad's a tad faster and has recently added a bit more upper body mass. Just hope he will be managed right by United.

ti vu

Think it would be stupid to do that considering how underwhelming our attackers have been this year outside of Rashford and a bit of Garnacho. Along with the fact that we have 0 Bruno cover.
If we get that starter CM signed this coming summer, next season Eriksen can be Bruno cover. And we can try with midfield 3 too. Naturally, you would expect Garnacho to progress and have more playing time, so Amad may just replace Pellistri and Elanga which doesn't have much game time because Sancho is still expected to rotate on both wings. He's too expensive and still very young to be forever benched.

Last edited:

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Difficult to say really on most of these lads you listed.

But I am fully confident in saying that Amad is better than Aaronson at Leeds. Miles better, in fact.
Was surprised how good the players on that list was — but Amad is not a great fit style wise for how many of those teams play. If a Pep took over any of them — I would not be surprised if Amad’s name was one of the first to go into the starting IX.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
A common misconception is that he is a 10, and that he has played a bit all over the place this season. It’s true that he starts at 10 at times and even at 9 — but those times, like 80% of the time, he will play as a RW. When Sunderland had an attacker, he was listed and played as a RW. After Simms was recalled to Everton and Stewert got hurt, Sunderland has often played with 3-4 wingers, and as a rule Pat Roberts is listed at RW but plays more like a forward while Diallo plays RW.

I am also far from convinced that ETH will be keen on playing Sancho at RW and Rashford at LW.

I think Sancho is starting to look more and more exciting, but I definitely think that his role under ETH first and foremost must be at LW and how he perhaps can fill in for Bruno. If Rashford stats at LW, that is a bit of a shame.

But I do also think that we need another left footed RW in the squad — and Diallo is perfect for that role.

Nickosaur

Starts v Cardiff today. Looking bright so far, has set up two chances (albeit shots from outside the box)

Idxomer

Seems like he had another really good game.

62 passes, 6 key passes and 4 dribbles.

Giggsy13

Too many wrote him off far too quickly. I think ten Hag will provide him an opportunity to make the first team next season.

DevTheRed

I think he’ll be backup to Antony next year.. certainly capable. He’s always had the technical ability but it seems like he understands the dirty side of the game a lot more now. RW sorted for next season!

Nickosaur

Seems like he had another really good game.

62 passes, 6 key passes and 4 dribbles.
Wasn't watching too closely but he's so dangerous in the box. His build up play, technique, movement etc all very impressive.

next_number_seven

I think he’ll be backup to Antony next year.. certainly capable. He’s always had the technical ability but it seems like he understands the dirty side of the game a lot more now. RW sorted for next season!
His manager said he's learned quickly to release the ball before he's tackled

RuudTom83

I’m happy for Amad

Unluckily for him, the United attack is stocked with young/expensive options, so he is going to have to be amazing when he does get a chance.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’m happy for Amad

Unluckily for him, the United attack is stocked with young/expensive options, so he is going to have to be amazing when he does get a chance.
He’s better than the majority of them though, and I don’t think ETH is the type of manager to just play players because of their price tag (Sancho a great example of this earlier in the year).

Geniunely think people are grossly underestimating this kid just because he isn’t some flying winger with a million take ons

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He got a 7.9 on both Sofascore and WhoScored. Only Cirkin, the goalscorer, got higher. I see him long term being that sort of player - a bit of a Bernardo Silva type who might not hold the highest G/A numbers*, but his overall general play being very strong.

* Though he is averaging a goal or assist every 164 minutes at Sunderland this season, which is pretty good going…

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Antony and Amad play in two different divisions so it's difficult and maybe a bit stupid to compare them, but I'm doing it anyway, sort of, I'm comparing their passing ability. Amad looks a lot better there, the weight of his passes are almost always spot on whereas I feel Antony messes up quite a few key passes, like for the Rashford chance on Saturday.
I guess we get to compare them up close next season though as they're battling it out for our right wing spot.

One thing is for sure though, it's very aesthetically pleasing watching Amad play football.

MadMike

He’s better than the majority of them though, and I don’t think ETH is the type of manager to just play players because of their price tag (Sancho a great example of this earlier in the year).
Tbf, that's much easier to do when you're not the one that has sanctioned the price tag and it doesn't reflect badly on you too.
Would he bench Antony if Amad is playing better than him? I don't know but we might get to find out next year

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Antony and Amad play in two different divisions so it's difficult and maybe a bit stupid to compare them, but I'm doing it anyway, sort of, I'm comparing their passing ability. Amad looks a lot better there, the weight of his passes are almost always spot on whereas I feel Antony messes up quite a few key passes, like for the Rashford chance on Saturday.
I guess we get to compare them up close next season though as they're battling it out for our right wing spot.

One thing is for sure though, it's very aesthetically pleasing watching Amad play football.
I think you can easily say that Amad’s passing, both vision and execution, is miles ahead of Antony’s regardless of the division they play in. The former is special while the latter is surprisingly poor about it (especially the vision part).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Antony’s inability to use his right foot limits his passing too. Has to position himself onto his left at times to make certain parts. Not to dog on the boy, mind. Amad seems a bit better on either foot.

Hackman2210

Dont think hes an out and out winger though. Looks like a number 10 to me. Very tricky little player, loves a 1-2. Size and physicality may count against him in the Prem.

Glorio

Dont think hes an out and out winger though. Looks like a number 10 to me. Very tricky little player, loves a 1-2. Size and physicality may count against him in the Prem.
He seems to be doing just fine in the Championship - where you arguably need size and physicality more, so there's that

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How is his defensive effort? This is one thing we will definitely need from our RW if we are to start Rashford/Garnacho on the left.

The reason why Antony makes us better as a team is because he adds another dimension to our play - ability to carry the ball and keep the ball moving out wide. I see the same dimension in Amad game, so I would love to give him a go for RW/RM position (we can argue what role Antony actually plays here but he's definitely not flying/attacking winger).

Based on the clips I watch every now and then, he looks like a Ten Hag kind of player, but I also said the same about Sancho before the season started so I'm not super excited until I see it happen.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
We can only hope to compete by narrowing the gap to single digits next season. The next after is when I think we can go head to head with City.
When you have the right team combo you win the league look at Arsenal. You don’t need 3 years of rebuilding and slowly chasing up the ladder.

Godfather

The weight of his passing and his vision is outstanding. Just wish he could bulk up a bit. Looks really skinny.

sglowrider

When you have the right team combo you win the league look at Arsenal. You don’t need 3 years of rebuilding and slowly chasing up the ladder.
Hang on... Didn't arsenal take 3 years themselves?
Having to build the right combo is obviously the answer. But it's easier said than done otherwise most people would have done it by now

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Bristol City’s Alex Scott and Middlesbrough’s Hayden Hackney the other candidates. The EFL Awards will take place on Sunday 23 April following the Lads league clash away to West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns.

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Tbf, that's much easier to do when you're not the one that has sanctioned the price tag and it doesn't reflect badly on you too.
Would he bench Antony if Amad is playing better than him? I don't know but we might get to find out next year
Yes I think so, or ETH isn’t the guy here. Every top manager has never taken price tags into account when picking lineups, if Erik starts doing so he won’t be here long term.

Red Rash

I really think Amad has a good chance of making it at United.

I've seen enough from his time in the Under 23s (way above that level), loan at Rangers and loan at Sunderland to see technically he is on a very high level.

I think he is proving this season that the physical side he can also deal with as the Championship is a pretty physical and competitive league.

I'd love to see him get minutes at United next season but I think a lot depends on the moves ETH makes in the transfer market in the summer.

At the moment we have Rashford, Antony, Sancho, Garnacho, Pellistri and Elanga as wing options which means we either need to sell one or two if Amad will stand a chance or move Amad to a more central role as Bruno's understudy.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes I think so, or ETH isn’t the guy here. Every top manager has never taken price tags into account when picking lineups, if Erik starts doing so he won’t be here long term.
It isn't that simple, if Amad becomes a started and Antony plays second fiddle then it will bring massive media attention to both Antony and ETH (who was the one pushing for this move). This aspect will be taken under consideration, it's natural.

That said, I don't see how this will be an issue. Antony missed a few games due to injury, on other times he was subbed for Bruno - there's plenty of playing time on RW to be splitted between Antony and Amad. Especially that it doesn't seem like Erik fancies Sancho there, and probably for a good reason.

Sancho is the one who should be concerned about playing time next season.

shamans

Hang on... Didn't arsenal take 3 years themselves?
Having to build the right combo is obviously the answer. But it's easier said than done otherwise most people would have done it by now
just saying we gotta take our chances and always think this season or the next at most. In modern football these slow rebuilds don’t work.

Arsenal took 3 years but each year is a fresh stab at it rather than just building off of last year.

anyway my point relevant to the thread is if Amad is not someone who can be part of a title winning team ever then there’s no point in having him play for us next year but if he can be it’s never too soon.

shamans

Amad does look like an insanely gifted player. Really excited to see him here and of course he could be great for us

but just to be negative and keep expectations in check let’s not forgot how good players like Sancho, Anthony or Depay looked in their respective leagues. Amad is playing at a level of opposition lower than them right now.

The step up to being a Premier league player is something else but he is 100% worthy of getting that shot

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Amad does look like an insanely gifted player. Really excited to see him here and of course he could be great for us

but just to be negative and keep expectations in check let’s not forgot how good players like Sancho, Anthony or Depay looked in their respective leagues. Amad is playing at a level of opposition lower than them right now.

The step up to being a Premier league player is something else but he is 100% worthy of getting that shot
Antony didn't look that impressive in Eredivisie, Depay looked impressive only if people thought he's getting so much space to run into as that was mainly what he did. Sancho fair enough, he never reached his Bundesliga level but he also doesn't seem to enjoy physicality of the league so that's where Amad has an advantage.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Mowbray:

“[Amad is a] wonderful talent.

"We know that it took him a week or so after the international break to get back up to speed.

"He's just a good footballer who picks the right pass, who makes the right decisions, who gets the weight of the ball right. For this club and this team we have to give experience to some young footballers to get them used to playing in the Championship."

Amad:

“I haven’t shown my best for them [United] yet, but I hope next season I can return and prove my talent.

“My dream is to play regular football at Manchester United."

Valencia Shin Crosses

It isn't that simple, if Amad becomes a started and Antony plays second fiddle then it will bring massive media attention to both Antony and ETH (who was the one pushing for this move). This aspect will be taken under consideration, it's natural.

That said, I don't see how this will be an issue. Antony missed a few games due to injury, on other times he was subbed for Bruno - there's plenty of playing time on RW to be splitted between Antony and Amad. Especially that it doesn't seem like Erik fancies Sancho there, and probably for a good reason.

Sancho is the one who should be concerned about playing time next season.
I agree that they can find playing time for both, but again, media attention shouldn't be in a manager's thoughts when picking his best XI. I mean hell Pep shipped off Cancelo, who many believed to be world class in recent years, immediately after not playing him and the player becoming upset. Would ETH have to deal with criticism for the Antony signing if he was beaten out by someone else? Sure but that's part of high level football. Being able to identify the best players no matter the name on the back of the shirt/cut losses if someone isn't performing to standard has always been a huge trait in the best managers in the world.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I just think the thing people aren't recognizing when factoring his potential impact here next year isn't that he's tearing up the Championship with goals and assists (although that's nice). It's that his technical level is so unbelievably high that he instantly upgrades a squad in dire need of more technicality the moment he is in it. People complain about us always getting dominated on the ball by these other top teams, well players like Amad are how you go toe to toe with these teams and keep the ball against them instead of having to resort to constant Rashford hoofballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.