g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Amad Diallo image 16

Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Rossa

The opponent was a mid-table League Two side. Antony in no way has done enough this season to make him untouchable in the way that, for example, Bruno or Shaw has. Antony did produce two goal contributions and we did get the win, so all's well that ends well, but if Amad can't even be subbed on against a League Two side there's very little point having him in the squad. I'm not here to suggest that Amad is the next Ronaldo but I am suggesting that we have players who are in the squad and unless they've shitted their pants in their one or two appearances we need to give them a shot against opponents like this. We've got Wolves coming up then West Ham and if we have doubts about Amad's ability to cope with Newport County those doubts would be true of any PL opponent. And if it's all about rotation in a short period of time, the time to give Amad a shot would have been against Newport County, not Wolves or West Ham.
I think you're spot on. If ETH wanted to play Antony into form, then great. However, you also want your subs to be sharp and ready to make a difference. By refusing them game time and not even having them play against a league 2 opposition, how are they going to stay sharp?

Ferguson was brilliant at rotating, and saving the legs of players was obviously valuable, but also having the subs ready is so important - keep them on their toes, keep them sharp. Amad deserves a chance not by his merit, but by how poorly Antony has been playing. What message is ETH sending his players? I pick you on name or pay-check, not by performances?

Marwood

Ridiculous that he hasn't been played more. I don't want to go en route criticising the manager, but his lack of substitutions is becoming a farce.

Diallo could easily have replaced Bruno in the 80th minute and nearly gotten 20 minutes of football towards the end. He has played in the position before, and Bruno also needs someone to replace him from time to time. Nobody benefits from being overplayed.

Although Antony was, for the first time almost at United, quite productive, against a league 2 opposition mind you, he still wasn't great.
You say its ridiculous.

How many games has he been dropped for this season?

Gordon S

Ridiculous that he hasn't been played more. I don't want to go en route criticising the manager, but his lack of substitutions is becoming a farce.

Diallo could easily have replaced Bruno in the 80th minute and nearly gotten 20 minutes of football towards the end. He has played in the position before, and Bruno also needs someone to replace him from time to time. Nobody benefits from being overplayed.

Although Antony was, for the first time almost at United, quite productive, against a league 2 opposition mind you, he still wasn't great.
Yeah, i think a lot the frustration comes from a bigger issue. EtHs unwillingness to make changes. Remember him throwing Hannibal out on the pitch in the 92 min. Think it was against Wigan? 2-0, game was dead, but here you go, i trust you with 30 seconds against a league one side that has already given up.
We have loads of first halves this season where half the starting 11 stunk out the place, where a couple of changes already at the start of the second half would have been welcome. To make it clear that you can not just jog around on the pitch, or constantly ignore teammates or whatever. Or just to give hungry players on the bench a proper chance. But nah, he often waits until very late. It does make it both frustrating and confusing.

Rossa

Yeah, i think a lot the frustration comes from a bigger issue. EtHs unwillingness to make changes. Remember him throwing Hannibal out on the pitch in the 92 min. Think it was against Wigan? 2-0, game was dead, but here you go, i trust you with 30 seconds against a league one side that has already given up.
We have loads of first halves this season where half the starting 11 stunk out the place, where a couple of changes already at the start of the second half would have been welcome. To make it clear that you can not just jog around on the pitch, or constantly ignore teammates or whatever. Or just to give hungry players on the bench a proper chance. But nah, he often waits until very late. It does make it both frustrating and confusing.
Indeed. When you play as many rubbish first halves as we have this season, not making subs at halftime is a travesty. One could argue, perhaps rightfully, that ETH is out of options due to injuries, but when those options start to come back, he at least needs to consider them. It is confusing and frustrating for us fans. Imagine how it must be for the players on the bench.

Rossa

You say its ridiculous.

How many games has he been dropped for this season?
No idea - he has dropped him a few times, but not nearly enough. Counting last season as well, how many would you argue are enough? Before last match, Antony had exactly zero goal contributions - we've played more than half a season of football. He should be dropped more, and he should be substituted more when he has matches where he contributes to nothing.

That being said, I think there's a player in there, but there needs to be actual competition for the spots.

Gordon Godot

Indeed. When you play as many rubbish first halves as we have this season, not making subs at halftime is a travesty. One could argue, perhaps rightfully, that ETH is out of options due to injuries, but when those options start to come back, he at least needs to consider them. It is confusing and frustrating for us fans. Imagine how it must be for the players on the bench.
ETH subs and refusal to rotate is just one of his many failings. Same tactics with single pivot from what I could see against Newport. Complete lack of midfield control again. But apparently we need to wait for his philosophy....

Gordon Godot

No idea - he has dropped him a few times, but not nearly enough. Counting last season as well, how many would you argue are enough? Before last match, Antony had exactly zero goal contributions - we've played more than half a season of football. He should be dropped more, and he should be substituted more when he has matches where he contributes to nothing.

That being said, I think there's a player in there, but there needs to be actual competition for the spots.
Why do you think 'there's a player in there'. 18 months in what has he done. He has zero attributes to be a top player.

Roboc7

I hope he’ll get some opportunities but unfortunately I think he is more likely to be thrown on in desperation in a few games and we’ll continue to see Antony get more and more chances despite clearly being a flop.

RuudTom83

Young player who’s been injured 95% of the season so far.

The attack, albeit still pretty poor HAS actually looked better in the last 2-3 games with Rashford/Hojlund/Garnacho being the first choice frontline.

So all Amad can do is stay fit and not do anything stupid. Easier said than done with this squad.

Nobody can really moan about the manager not giving the kids a chance when Mainoo and Garnacho are playing every week.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

The attack, albeit still pretty poor HAS actually looked better in the last 2-3 games with Rashford/Hojlund/Garnacho being the first choice frontline.

So all Amad can do is stay fit and not do anything stupid. Easier said than done with this squad.

Nobody can really moan about the manager not giving the kids a chance when Mainoo and Garnacho are playing every week.
Oh just watch 'em :lol:

Rossa

Why do you think 'there's a player in there'. 18 months in what has he done. He has zero attributes to be a top player.

That's the thing - he hasn't been able to show those attributes much, but he does from time to time.

Firstly, he's not slow as many would argue - if you watched the foot race he had last match, no matter the opposition, he was actually quite fast. He's also fast on the first couple of yards - maybe not elite fast, but plenty quick to be a top player.

Secondly, he has great close control, ball retention and short passing, so he's actually quite good in tight spaces.

Thirdly, he works hard defensively.

So he does have some good, even great attributes, but he seems to completely lack any consistency, even in terms of his physical attributes he lacks consistency.

If by the end of this season he hasn't been able to produce and perform at a higher and more consistent level, he needs to be sold.

Rossa

Sure, but that's where the conspiracy theories are formed - ETH didn't buy a LW or someone suitable in Mainoo's position currently taking his spot. He did, however, sign Antony, whom after a season and a half fails to deliver consistently and at a high enough level.

RuudTom83

Sure, but that's where the conspiracy theories are formed - ETH didn't buy a LW or someone suitable in Mainoo's position currently taking his spot. He did, however, sign Antony, whom after a season and a half fails to deliver consistently and at a high enough level.
Yeah I'm not a member of Antony's fan club by any means...but he has played 911 minutes this season, which comes in at around 10 games, so Antony isn't really taking the opportunity away from anyone, all the attackers this season have had a chance.

Amad has only been fit a matter of weeks and United are down to 1 game a week + the winter break thingy...so he just needs to be patient!

Then when he turns out to be like Pellestri we can all forget the clamour to play him and move on to the next kid ;)

lex talionis

Yeah I'm not a member of Antony's fan club by any means...but he has played 911 minutes this season, which comes in at around 10 games, so Antony isn't really taking the opportunity away from anyone, all the attackers this season have had a chance.

Amad has only been fit a matter of weeks and United are down to 1 game a week + the winter break thingy...so he just needs to be patient!

Then when he turns out to be like Pellestri we can all forget the clamour to play him and move on to the next kid ;)
Pellistri improves the squad more than Antony, the ricochet goal v a League Two side notwithstanding. As for Amad, if he’s not given a chance other than a few stoppage time substitutions we’ll never know whether he would have been an upgrade on Antony.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If he can't get a game against Newport then he might as well.

As someone who watches a lot of Sunderland, I'd look forward to seeing him link back up with Patrick Roberts again. I also think he'd link well with Bellingham, too.

Marwood

No I'm asking how many times has Diallo been dropped? How many times has he been left out this season for you to call it ridiculous?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Shame we couldn’t secure him a loan this window. Seems kind of pointless seeing him rot on bench for the next 5 months at a stage of his career where getting consistent minutes could do wonders for his development.

lex talionis

Rot on the bench it will have to be for Amad while Antony continues to disgrace the shirt.

Onerealunited

Really hope that we manage to loan him out before transfer deadline. With ETH on board it will be a win-win for the club and Amad to play week in week out until summer

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That's the thing - he hasn't been able to show those attributes much, but he does from time to time.

Firstly, he's not slow as many would argue - if you watched the foot race he had last match, no matter the opposition, he was actually quite fast. He's also fast on the first couple of yards - maybe not elite fast, but plenty quick to be a top player.

Secondly, he has great close control, ball retention and short passing, so he's actually quite good in tight spaces.

Thirdly, he works hard defensively.

So he does have some good, even great attributes, but he seems to completely lack any consistency, even in terms of his physical attributes he lacks consistency.

If by the end of this season he hasn't been able to produce and perform at a higher and more consistent level, he needs to be sold.
That is as far from the truth as it can get. Antony is super consistent player. He's the most consistent attacker at the club.

lex talionis

Jebus, what is wrong with you?
Strange question. Perhaps we just shouldn’t care about how the players are managed or what happens on the pitch. On another thread, the majority of posters on the caf are demanding the immediate sacking of ETH for a variety of reasons, one of which is his continued selection of underperforming players such as Antony. I am not in that camp, as it seems to me that despite valid criticisms of ETH that the club is best advised to wait until the end of the season and decide then, not now, what to do about ETH.

As for Amad, it’s becoming increasingly though not conclusively clear that the club has no use for him. It’s ok for a club to have no use for a player as there are only so many players a club can carry for financial or professional reasons.

M16Red

Strange question. Perhaps we just shouldn’t care about how the players are managed or what happens on the pitch. On another thread, the majority of posters on the caf are demanding the immediate sacking of ETH for a variety of reasons, one of which is his continued selection of underperforming players such as Antony. I am not in that camp, as it seems to me that despite valid criticisms of ETH that the club is best advised to wait until the end of the season and decide then, not now, what to do about ETH.

As for Amad, it’s becoming increasingly though not conclusively clear that the club has no use for him. It’s ok for a club to have no use for a player as there are only so many players a club can carry for financial or professional reasons.
Played poorly or just crap, disgrace the shirt..

flameinthesun

Jebus, what is wrong with you?
A lot of toxicity towards players. Say what you want about Antony's ability, he at least plays like he cares for the shirt. Should he be moved on as soon as feasibly possible? of course, until then the guy at least tries his best.

lex talionis

Played poorly or just crap, disgrace the shirt..
I have no objection to anyone who states that they have seen enough of Amad to conclude that he’s not good enough for United. And if one holds such a view then there should every objection to keeping Amad and no objection to selling him.

What would be daft is holding onto and refusing to sell a player who’s clearly not good enough for United, nor even good enough to be given an opportunity to prove conclusively that he’s not good for United. We are a football club, not a charity.

CasaStreets

I have no idea whether Amad will be good enough to make the cut here in the long term. However, I am confident that, so long as he tracks back and works hard for the team, he is likely to represent some improvement in output vs what we’ve seen from Antony this season. That alone should mean he ought to get minutes ahead of Antony when Rashford or Garnacho aren’t available or are substituted.

M16Red

I have no objection to anyone who states that they have seen enough of Amad to conclude that he’s not good enough for United. And if one holds such a view then there should every objection to keeping Amad and no objection to selling him.

What would be daft is holding onto and refusing to sell a player who’s clearly not good enough for United, nor even good enough to be given an opportunity to prove conclusively that he’s not good for United. We are a football club, not a charity.

Antony scored and got an assist the last game. Disgrace indeed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No I'm asking how many times has Diallo been dropped? How many times has he been left out this season for you to call it ridiculous?
I’m not surprised you didn’t get an answer. Fairly sure the correct response is “once”. Which doesn’t really fit with the histrionic narrative that’s taken hold in this thread.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What is with all these Antony fanboys in this thread? Some of you haven't turned your TV on for about two years, it seems.

Amad should start ahead of the Brazilian fraud and if given the time Garnacho was given, he'd do as well if not better. He's already shown in a couple of appearances for United he can play.

Of course, until that Dutch fraud is ejected, our good players will continue to rot while the Rashfords of this world keep running into blind alleys.

Idxomer

Why are Antony and some average youth player getting chances ahead of him?

kidbob

Should get all Antony’s minutes off the bench from here on in or should be sold.