View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

IrishRedDevil

He absolutely should be getting Antony's minutes.

The only reason Antony plays is our manager wasted £85m on the fraud.

Meanwhile this talented 21 year old has to watch from the side-lines as his Contract runs down.

He will have 1 year left in the summer, with an option for another year. How will we know to extend if we don't see him play?

mikeyt

Meanwhile this talented 21 year old has to watch from the side-lines as his Contract runs down.

He will have 1 year left in the summer, with an option for another year. How will we know to extend if we don't see him play?
Will be a great shame when Amad leaves, which inevitably he will with ETH still at the helm.

Grande

A strange post. Did you watch the Wolves game. he was terrible. The worst sub performance I have seen. He made one tackle but across the rest of his engagement, either muscled off ball, passed to oppo or ran into trouble and attack broke down. He delayed on ball on edge of area and lost it which led directly to the break for their third goal. Another posted said he was partly at fault for second goal. At least 6 or 7 times he lost possession, how does that help us? He is awful. How terrible do you have to be before the manager stops playing you? Amad is good on the ball, perhaps a radical idea that we see games out by keeping the ball rather than playing 6 defenders.
It’s true, Antony was really horrendous vs Wolves. The mistake in that game, though, was playing him on the left( to keep Garnacho on the right). Probably an experiment because he created a couple of chances when switching left vs Newport, but that blew up.

Against the Hammers, though, he showed why he was played. A team that has let Spurs, Newport and Wolves back in four times, thrice leading by two goals, any manager is going to go the safer path, and Antony is a defensively safer choice on the right. He works hard, knows the defensive drill, knows Dalot, he makes himself playable for an out ball, and he can actually hold the ball up very well normally, contrary to what happened on the left vs Wolves.

His disastrous issues this seadon is more to do with what he does in the final third when we need a goal, which wasn’t the situation.

I don’t know what Diallo’s issues are atm, but he has to get ahead of Forson before he can expect to bypass Antony, and he’ll have to do that on the training pitch. If he can’t, he can’t.

Idxomer

His agent should be looking for the optimal club and making moves for the summer. Gaffer doesnt seem to rate him and will prioritise the performances of his big money signing
Definitely, he scored more goals than Joao Pedro last season in the Championship who is now having a good season at Brighton.

He should be getting consistent game time now at this level. Brighton would suit his game, they should try to buy him.

tomaldinho1

I think his issue is more that Garnacho has become 1st choice and Antony, for all his faults, offers an interesting tactical option if we are ahead (which amazingly we have been for the last two games) because he can lock down an opponent's LB really well. I have no idea why he played LW against Wolves as a cameo though, although Amad would not have got those minutes either.

People are putting a lot of stock on a single loan season in the Championship with Amad. I really hope he turns out a good player but there's every chance he struggles in the PL.

tomaldinho1

Only one way to find out.
I think we'll see him, hopefully, against Luton. I suspect it might be like Donny though where he never gets a run of games this season. The other factor which is unfortunate for him is I have little doubt that Ineos will have already decided to sell Antony given his performances and age, and there will be a thought there's an ability to recoup a chunk of the fee if he can have a few good games.

IrishRedDevil

I think we'll see him, hopefully, against Luton. I suspect it might be like Donny though where he never gets a run of games this season. The other factor which is unfortunate for him is I have little doubt that Ineos will have already decided to sell Antony given his performances and age, and there will be a thought there's an ability to recoup a chunk of the fee if he can have a few good games.
Yes I reckon that's why Antony is playing - everyone hoping he does something so he can be sold for a packet of crisps. If he was forced out of the team then that give us even less negotiating power, although less than zero is difficult.

Gordon Godot

Meh. It was the 88th minute. It was a time wasting sub as much as anything else. Those few minutes wouldn’t have done Diallo much good anyway.

There’s been one game only where Antony took meaningful minutes that could have gone to Diallo. The cup game against Newport. Where Antony scored and assisted. So the decision worked out.

Anyway, Diallo certainly didn’t look unhappy in our last match when he was charging off the bench to celebrate Kobbie’s winner. He’ll be fine. His time will come.
Given we only have FA cup left lets see if ETH has the courage to play Amad. I would be super unhappy to see Antony on the
Yes I reckon that's why Antony is playing - everyone hoping he does something so he can be sold for a packet of crisps. If he was forced out of the team then that give us even less negotiating power, although less than zero is difficult.
But every time antony plays his value goes down, the Wolves display was utter garbage. He's playing because ETH is too stubborn to admit his huge mistake, all £82.5m of it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Form doesn't exist in this case. Antony isn't some out of form star that needs some confidence.
I mean he is to some extent. Antony was quite a bit better last season, so if we can get him back into that form he can at least be useful.

In saying that, Antony's atrocious performance against Wolves should have seen Amad get the nod ahead of him for West Ham.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People are putting a lot of stock on a single loan season in the Championship with Amad. I really hope he turns out a good player but there's every chance he struggles in the PL.
The loan season was YPOTY worthy, though. (I know that the Bournemouth kid got it, but Amad was definitely up there) Someone mentioned Joao Pedro above, and even Olise in his key breakout season at Reading — very similar stats to Amad in his key season at Sunderland. Difference is they’re getting the chance to have proper breakout seasons in the PL.

He could struggle, as could every young player, we won’t know until he gets a chance.

lex talionis

If we’re not going to give him a chance even in garbage time, we really need to sell him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The loan season was YPOTY worthy, though. (I know that the Bournemouth kid got it, but Amad was definitely up there) Someone mentioned Joao Pedro above, and even Olise in his key breakout season at Reading — very similar stats to Amad in his key season at Sunderland. Difference is they’re getting the chance to have proper breakout seasons in the PL.

He could struggle, as could every young player, we won’t know until he gets a chance.
Obviously helped by the fact that a) they haven’t missed the whole first half of the season with an injury and b) they both play for teams with much less competition for places.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I mean he is to some extent. Antony was quite a bit better last season, so if we can get him back into that form he can at least be useful.

In saying that, Antony's atrocious performance against Wolves should have seen Amad get the nod ahead of him for West Ham.
He really wasn’t though, I dont think he’s scored but maybe 1 league goal since Oct ‘22. Our results were better and he lost the ball slightly less but that’s really it, it’s not like he showed signs of being a real threat off the right that teams need to worry about.

If Antony was an academy product we’d have already sold him for pennies or sent him abroad on loan a la Pellistri.

luke511

If we’re not going to give him a chance even in garbage time, we really need to sell him.
It’ll probably be a case of tough love. Maybe Amad has shown over expectation in regards to game time and Ten Hag is teaching him a lesson that he has to be patient and work for it. I’d be critical of him because he’s clearly a better player than Antony, but the tough love approach has worked well with Garnacho and Mainoo so I’m happy to wait and see how it pans out over the second half of the season. If it gets to that point and Ten Hag still hasn’t given him a sniff then he can get it in the neck.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He really wasn’t though, I dont think he’s scored but maybe 1 league goal since Oct ‘22. Our results were better and he lost the ball slightly less but that’s really it, it’s not like he showed signs of being a real threat off the right that teams need to worry about.

If Antony was an academy product we’d have already sold him for pennies or sent him abroad on loan a la Pellistri.
He wasn't getting the goals, but his all round performances were a fair bit better last season. Still not good enough of course, but he was playing his part in helping the team as a whole function. Was keeping hold of the ball and helping us soak up pressure, maintain possession, pushing us up the field (even though he'd often then pass it back), etc. He certainly wasn't as bad as what he has been most of this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Obviously helped by the fact that a) they haven’t missed the whole first half of the season with an injury and b) they both play for teams with much less competition for places.
I agree with that. I was more responding to the point stating that people are placing too much stock in his Championship performance. I really don't think so, and an extended run of PL football (here, or at another club) would result in him performing to a similar-ish level to some of the other talents who performed at an equal level to him in the Championship.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I really rate Amad but there's obviously he's not doing enough in training yet, I suspect it'll be his off-ball work rate, once that's up to scratch he'll get his chances. Something similar happened with Garnacho last season. Ten Hag has shown plenty of willingness to play young players if he thinks they're good enough and deserving of a chance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I agree with that. I was more responding to the point stating that people are placing too much stock in his Championship performance. I really don't think so, and an extended run of PL football (here, or at another club) would result in him performing to a similar-ish level to some of the other talents who performed at an equal level to him in the Championship.
Ah, ok. Missed your point. I agree. The really top Championship talents do have a reasonable chance of making it at the PL. Although making it at a club like United is obviously that bit harder.

lex talionis

It’ll probably be a case of tough love. Maybe Amad has shown over expectation in regards to game time and Ten Hag is teaching him a lesson that he has to be patient and work for it. I’d be critical of him because he’s clearly a better player than Antony, but the tough love approach has worked well with Garnacho and Mainoo so I’m happy to wait and see how it pans out over the second half of the season. If it gets to that point and Ten Hag still hasn’t given him a sniff then he can get it in the neck.
That's a fair perspective. But here is the problem -- Garnacho has secured the RW spot as his to lose, in my armchair judgment, and unless we sell Rashford, which seems very unlikely, we've got Rashford at LW and Garnacho at RW. Realistically, Amad is not going to displace either. And even more realistically, we're not going to be able to get rid of Antony even on a free transfer so we're stuck with him. Sancho probably goes on a free although his wages may preclude that. It's pretty clear that Pellistri has no future at Old Trafford. And now we have Forson whom I haven't seen much of but those who have rave about him so he might be going nowhere.

It's no easy to see how Amad fits into United's plans if he can't even get limited minutes. He was not an ETH buy and everyone here knows how attached ETH is to buys no matter how shite their performances are. Odds are that the cane will be wrapped around Amad's neck and we get at least our transfer fee back for him. Part of what's holding ETH back from playing Amad, it appears, are the addons payable to Atalanta that would cost United roughly another 20m if they actually played Amad.

I suggest we relish the few minutes left for Amad in a United shirt between now and the end of the season. It won't be many.

next_number_seven

That's a fair perspective. But here is the problem -- Garnacho has secured the RW spot as his to lose, in my armchair judgment, and unless we sell Rashford, which seems very unlikely, we've got Rashford at LW and Garnacho at RW. Realistically, Amad is not going to displace either. And even more realistically, we're not going to be able to get rid of Antony even on a free transfer so we're stuck with him. Sancho probably goes on a free although his wages may preclude that. It's pretty clear that Pellistri has no future at Old Trafford. And now we have Forson whom I haven't seen much of but those who have rave about him so he might be going nowhere.

It's no easy to see how Amad fits into United's plans if he can't even get limited minutes. He was not an ETH buy and everyone here knows how attached ETH is to buys no matter how shite their performances are. Odds are that the cane will be wrapped around Amad's neck and we get at least our transfer fee back for him. Part of what's holding ETH back from playing Amad, it appears, are the addons payable to Atalanta that would cost United roughly another 20m if they actually played Amad.

I suggest we relish the few minutes left for Amad in a United shirt between now and the end of the season. It won't be many.
We're short wide players, he should get plenty of minutes.

Gordon Godot

I wasnt aware of situation with add ons. But if we are both right and ETH is that stubborn to persevere with Antony, despite the garbage performances, then both of them should be gone. We also need cover for both wide positions, and Amad could potentially offer something in the Bruno mould. If Amad is gone before Antony I will be really disappointed

RuudTom83

I think the team's current form (which has been a huge improvement) makes Amad's inclusion more difficult.

McTom will be the 1st sub...being one of the top scorers and someone who needs to be kept involved as cover for Casemiro/Mainoo.

Antony will be the 2nd...manager trusts him and he isn't a total lost cause just yet (even if 99% of fans want him binned off)

So Amad is looking at the 3rd sub position...but the kid has done nothing in a United shirt and has been injured for the entire season. So he can't really complain, he just needs to keep his head focused and work hard.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think the team's current form (which has been a huge improvement) makes Amad's inclusion more difficult.

McTom will be the 1st sub...being one of the top scorers and someone and needs to be kept involved as cover for Casemiro/Mainoo.

Antony will be the 2nd...manager trusts him and he isn't a total lost cause just yet (even if 99% of fans want him binned him off)

So Amad is looking at the 3rd sub position...but the kid has done nothing in a United shirt and has been injured for the entire season. So he can't really complain, he just needs to keep his head focused and work hard.
Yup. And he doesn’t exactly look devastated with the situation he finds himself in.

Gordon S

Yup. And he doesn’t exactly look devastated with the situation he finds himself in.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean? Kobbie scored a great late winner in a 7 goal drama. He would have to be a full bloodied psychopath to not want to celebrate with his teammates. It is a stretch to use it as evidence as him being happy to just watch games from the bench.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not sure what this is supposed to mean? Kobbie scored a great late winner in a 7 goal drama. He would have to be a full bloodied psychopath to not want to celebrate with his teammates. It is a stretch to use it as evidence as him being happy to just watch games from the bench.
Who says he is happy to watch games from the bench? I’d be worried if he was. We want a team full of players desperate to get on the pitch, not happy to sit around doing feck all other than take a fat salary.

The photo shows someone well integrated into the group, buzzing off what his similarly aged team mate just did. It bodes well for his future as part of the group of young players in that photograph. Assuming he can reach a similar level to them as a footballer. Hopefully he can. He has plenty of time to prove himself. Despite the hysterical moaning of many on this thread.

Lee565

Typical united, we managed to bump up his value with his loan move to Sunderland last season when it was looking like we were going to take a huge hit on the 40 million we spent on him but instead of selling him this summer for a good fee we end up keeping him and erasing all that value he had off the back of the Sunderland spell because the manager is more desperate to make Antony not look like 85 million down the drain, pretty much sums up the mess we have made in buying and selling players

Bwuk

I think he'll leave in the summer and we will regret it.

Obviously pending exits, this summer in terms of wingers we'll have

Rashford, Garnacho, Antony, Sancho, Pellistri & Amad in the first team squad.

I would imagine we will try to shift Antony/Sancho/Pellistri and bring someone else in, but that would still leave Amad fourth choice and unlikely to get any real game time behind Rashford/Garnacho/New Winger.

Glorio

Typical united, we managed to bump up his value with his loan move to Sunderland last season when it was looking like we were going to take a huge hit on the 40 million we spent on him but instead of selling him this summer for a good fee we end up keeping him and erasing all that value he had off the back of the Sunderland spell because the manager is more desperate to make Antony not look like 85 million down the drain, pretty much sums up the mess we have made in buying and selling players
We didn't even spend up to half of 40 mill but I get the point that the boy should play.
He had a short cameo and did very well, so unsure what EtH wants from him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I would imagine we will try to shift Antony/Sancho/Pellistri and bring someone else in, but that would still leave Amad fourth choice and unlikely to get any real game time behind Rashford/Garnacho/New Winger.
We will try to sell Sancho but it will be hard given his salary, Pellistri will be gone but we won't get much for him, and Antony I would expect to be untouchable for ETH but it doesn't really matter as we would not be able to sell him either.

Amad will be gone, he's clearly not rated / not disciplined enough and at his age he needs to start playing football.

Remember the geese

Perhaps a better approach would be to have Garnacho and Amad compete for a place on the right. We then could potentially sign a left sided forward to compete with Rashford. In this scenario, Amad isn't fourth choice. At the very worst, he'd be second choice to Garnacho.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

You say this as though having two very good players competing for every position isn’t something we should aspire to have? Any footballer who wants to play for big clubs like Manchester United will have to accept competition with at least one other very talented footballer for his place in the team. It comes with the territory. At least it should.

Bertie Wooster

I wasnt aware of situation with add ons. But if we are both right and ETH is that stubborn to persevere with Antony, despite the garbage performances, then both of them should be gone. We also need cover for both wide positions, and Amad could potentially offer something in the Bruno mould. If Amad is gone before Antony I will be really disappointed
Yeah, with us not even affording to bring in a striking option on loan due to FFP, then I imagine the add on options for Amad are an issue.

I don't know exactly what they are, but they potentially take the fee we paid up from around £17.5m to £35m - so doubling it - and I imagine some of that will be appearance related. So that's probably also influencing the decision behind bringing on the likes of Antony and even Forson for late cameos instead of Amad.

Hopefully it won't prevent us picking him should ETH really think he merits it and can make a big difference, but for the late cameos that Forson has been used for then it's probably been a factor (along with trying to encourage Forson to sign a new contract?)

lex talionis

None of us has access to the transfer agreement but it seems pretty obvious that the add ons play a huge role in ETH keeping Amad on the bench.

gajender

None of us has access to the transfer agreement but it seems pretty obvious that the add ons play a huge role in ETH keeping Amad on the bench.
That's clearly nonsense stop making stuff up please , just for a moment even if we entertain this stupid notion United could have easily sent him on loan problem solved till Summer but United didn't he will get his chance soon .

Last edited:

lex talionis

That's clearly nonsense stop making stuff up please , just for a moment even if we entertain this stupid notion United could have easily sent him on loan problem solved till Summer but United didn't he will get his chance soon .
Just yelling “nonsense” doesn’t carry an argument. Fact is, Amad isn’t getting playing time even against a League Two side. Fact is, his contact has add ons that undoubtedly include fees per appearance, which is not at all unusual. And we know for a fact that there are no add on fees for Antony payable to for Ajax.

True, we don’t know the real truth as to why ETH has shut out Amad while giving Antony minutes that otherwise would go to Amad. On the caf, the standard excuse that gets wheeled out, a real beauty, is the “shit in training” excuse. Perhaps Amad is shit in training and thus is denied playing time. But Antony is shit in playing time.

gajender

Just yelling “nonsense” doesn’t carry an argument. Fact is, Amad isn’t getting playing time even against a League Two side. Fact is, his contact has add ons that undoubtedly include fees per appearance, which is not at all unusual. And we know for a fact that there are no add on fees for Antony payable to for Ajax.

True, we don’t know the real truth as to why ETH has shut out Amad while giving Antony minutes that otherwise would go to Amad. On the caf, the standard excuse that gets wheeled out, a real beauty, is the “shit in training” excuse. Perhaps Amad is shit in training and thus is denied playing time. But Antony is shit in playing time.
So you have completely ignored the argument I have made why your point is nonsensical and now going on different tangent altogether well done .

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

In this instance him calling you out as talking nonsense does constitute an argument as your original point was completely made up.