5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Re the bolded, Rooney absolutely got the ground running, no? Didn't he score a hat trick on his debut against fenerbahce or galatasaray or whoever in the CL? He also absolutely hit the ground running at Everton.
Obviously there are exceptions, but more often than not Rooney took a while to get going whenever he came back from injury. From memory even Fergie once said that Rooney was somebody that you had to play into form.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm not sure anyone is being definitive on him. I just think most are judging him on what they've seen so far, which is all we have to go on, while others seem desperate for him to be given starts based on absolutely nothing. Let him keep being given minutes as a sub - very few young players are introduced into the first team with starts straight away. Most get chances to impress in the cups or as subs, so I don't see why Amad should be any different.

Re the bolded, Rooney absolutely got the ground running, no? Didn't he score a hat trick on his debut against fenerbahce or galatasaray or whoever in the CL? He also absolutely hit the ground running at Everton.
Set minutes per game is nothing like sporadic time that gives no assurances or platform to build confidence and form from. To this point in time, there's nothing to suggest there's a solid construct in place for Amad, which means the conditions he finds himself in are, quite frankly, dire and likely to lead to nerves, uncertainty, difficulty getting into the game and an overeagerness to impress that actually takes away from the natural game a player has.

Contrasted to those who get - or have gotten - so many full games of absolutely dire performance with next to no threat of even losing out in the short term, and the imbalance and angst for the others should be clear or at least a factor.

Rooney, under the conditions Amad is in, would be declared not fit to play at the club - he was a notoriously slow starter after time out via injury, perhaps the worst of the lot.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So why start him yesterday, when we knew he would deliver zero attacking threat. He is a major reason for our lack of attacking threat. How many starts this season versus Diallo?
Because there are other parameters we aren't aware of. Just consider what you said, if Antony who is as poor as we know, can't get a start in that game then the problem is with the other (non existent) options

Gordon Godot

Because there are other parameters we aren't aware of. Just consider what you said, if Antony who is as poor as we know, can't get a start in that game then the problem is with the other (non existent) options
Gosh, other parameters, please do tell us. We know ETH has favourites, a number of Ajax fans flagged that. We have a terrible team structure as seen versus Fulham but ETH doesnt change that. So you are putting blind faith in ETH to make the right calls. Given he was desperate to sign Antony I have zero faith in him.

Dan_F

Antony actually played pretty well last night I thought. He should have scored but he was good on the ball and slightly more creative than his usual self. I agree the fuse is pretty thin with him right now but calling a spade a spade that wasn’t a shocking display at all.
Yeah, I mean he played better than Rashford and Garnacho. Hit the bar, put in a shift defensively, which is needed with this set up. Obviously he’s five years older than Garnacho and the price tag will always mean that he’s up against it, but generally he wasn’t that bad.

Zed is not dead

Garnacho gained game time last season through decisive 20-minutes cameos

Amad, as every other young players, need to seize those chances, however small, to prove they can have an impact.

So far, he didn’t do much other than playing it safe, which isn’t going to convince a manager to play him in an offensive role.

Now this doesn’t mean anything about his qualities but perhaps about his mentality, to me he doesn’t look like a hungry player on the pitch, fighting for his place

Gordon Godot

Garnacho gained game time last season through decisive 20-minutes cameos

Amad, as every other young players, need to seize those chances, however small, to prove they can have an impact.

So far, he didn’t do much other than playing it safe, which isn’t going to convince a manager to play him in an offensive role.

Now this doesn’t mean anything about his qualities but perhaps about his mentality, to me he doesn’t look like a hungry player on the pitch, fighting for his place
I'm sorry, I dont buy this. Garnacho was a young player with no first team experience. Why does Antony keep getting starts? Also Diallo showed in a physically tough league he can deliver for Sunderland.

Zed is not dead

I'm sorry, I dont buy this. Garnacho was a young player with no first team experience. Why does Antony keep getting starts? Also Diallo showed in a physically tough league he can deliver for Sunderland.
Garnacho was a young player with no first team experience yet he tried everything to make immediate impact with the limited cameos he had.

I didn’t see Amad trying to do anything to earn his spot in his last two cameos.

Antony has nothing to do whatsoever with the point I’m making, especially since it was his first game in almost a month, and a week after Ten Hag preferred to play Forson and Bruno ahead of him

gormless

I'm not sure anyone is being definitive on him. I just think most are judging him on what they've seen so far, which is all we have to go on, while others seem desperate for him to be given starts based on absolutely nothing. Let him keep being given minutes as a sub - very few young players are introduced into the first team with starts straight away. Most get chances to impress in the cups or as subs, so I don't see why Amad should be any different.

whilst he got a hat trick on his debut he the didn’t score for a month from memory. His next goal was against Arsenal in the 49 and out game

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seems to me that some posters are more concerned about "being right" than actually seeing players succeed, see it in every thread for every young player we have; Garnacho, Mainoo, Pellistri, Forson et al, maybe it's a consequence of us being desperate for youth players to make it but it comes across as a little pathetic when you're in a thread slating the feck out of someone who's had about 40 minutes of game time so far this season, especially one who spent the first half of the season injured.

Gordon Godot

Seems to me that some posters are more concerned about "being right" than actually seeing players succeed, see it in every thread for every young player we have; Garnacho, Mainoo, Pellistri, Forson et al, maybe it's a consequence of us being desperate for youth players to make it but it comes across as a little pathetic when you're in a thread slating the feck out of someone who's had about 40 minutes of game time so far this season, especially one who spent the first half of the season injured.
Exactly. We rarely give our young players time and chances. If they don't prove it then fine move them on. But at the moment we live in a halfway house, where we don't play them, keep them hanging around for too long and then sell for nothing.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think the main reason he hasn't featured all that much is that he seems to be a more natural fit in the ten position rather than wide.

Pickle85

Who's slating the feck out of him? All I see are honest opinions on his performances. I don't think anyone's been unreasonably harsh. As I said, I'd love to see him succeed as it's be great for the team but I just don't see it.

Raven

Why? Scott regularly comes on and has an impact in those sort of minutes and he's constantly labeled not good enough.
If you can't tell the difference between 27 year old Scott who's been in the first team squad since Mourinho was here and a 21 year old who's played about 400 minutes for us in his career, I don't know what to tell you.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Was Forson better than both Amad and Antony when he started the game before? And what suddenly changed that both of them leapfrogged him in this game?

Let's not pretend that this manager is not making it up as he goes. It's a random selection generator. Most of the subs are predetermined too, down to the minute in which players will be brought in. He is meticulous in his incompetence. You got to give him that.
I disagree that it’s random. He’s trying options many of which are not proving good enough and the injuries have prevented us having any form of consistency. Just when Rashford looks better, Hojland is injured so he has to move. Just as Varane looks better alongside Maguire, he gets injured. It’s relentless and is forcing us to change entire structures almost every week.

On your point, we don’t see what the manager does in training. Perhaps Forson was training really well and Amad still looked off it? I agree from the outside it does look strange he hasn’t been given more opportunities, but he still has to take them and I think Ten Hag has shown with players like Garnacho and Mainoo that if you play well he will persist with you.

ROFLUTION

I was happy with what I saw. He was slightly nervous. He works hard and defends well. I already know what he can do on the ball.
- Lost the ball in a critical area which could’ve lead to something.

- allowed a cross that lead to a chance

- Amrabat was tired so he needed someone to back him up. Not sure that fully happened.

still young and learning, and a huge talent, but defensively, I haven’t seen anyting to back up that he “defends well”. Could come as he matures and understands his tasks more. The tempo always takes some getting used to for new players.

AltiUn

Who's slating the feck out of him? All I see are honest opinions on his performances. I don't think anyone's been unreasonably harsh. As I said, I'd love to see him succeed as it's be great for the team but I just don't see it.
You very obviously wouldn't love for him to succeed because you've managed to rack up 26 posts since Saturday about how much you don't rate him.

Pickle85

You very obviously wouldn't love for him to succeed because you've managed to rack up 26 posts since Saturday about how much you don't rate him.
I genuinely would love for him to succeed as it's great for the team if he does. I've absolutely nothing against him as a player and hope he proves me wrong, like Onana is starting to. I've posted about his performances in his performance thread and I don't think I've been at all unreasonable in what I've said.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If you can't tell the difference between 27 year old Scott who's been in the first team squad since Mourinho was here and a 21 year old who's played about 400 minutes for us in his career, I don't know what to tell you.
Can avoid the actual point of question if you want, but let's say Garnacho when he broke through then?

i want thim to succeed here and I think he'll get more chances this season, but he should really be earning it on merit, rather than someone being shit or been given chances despite being shit. That's just lowering the standards in my opinion.

AltiUn

I genuinely would love for him to succeed as it's great for the team if he does. I've absolutely nothing against him as a player and hope he proves me wrong, like Onana is starting to. I've posted about his performances in his performance thread and I don't think I've been at all unreasonable in what I've said.
Whatever you say.

daba

If Erik is still here next season I think it makes sense for him to be sold. His stock should still be relatively high from his championship exploits last year. I’m sure a Brentford or Palace would be interested at the right price.

AltiUn

Constructive response...thanks for taking the time.
I mean, what do you want me to say? You can say you want him to succeed all you want, I don't believe you do at all, the fact that you've been obsessively posting about him since Saturday evidences that. To me it just looks like you've made your mind up on a player and are actively excited when he doesn't play well in his limited minutes so you can proudly strut about going "see, look how clever I am!". Just find it incredibly odd, personally. Each to their own.

Pickle85

I mean, what do you want me to say? You can say you want him to succeed all you want, I don't believe you do at all, the fact that you've been obsessively posting about him since Saturday evidences that. To me it just looks like you've made your mind up on a player and are actively excited when he doesn't play well in his limited minutes so you can proudly strut about going "see, look how clever I am!". Just find it incredibly odd, personally. Each to their own.
It's hardly obsessive posting...there's been some discussion on the topic and, weirdly, that tends to be what a forum is for. As for your 'proudly strut around' comment, I'm not sure what in my posts has given that impression. Again, I think I've been pretty balanced and objective but you seem to be taking it rather personally. Which I find incredibly odd, personally. Each to their own.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Erik is still here next season I think it makes sense for him to be sold. His stock should still be relatively high from his championship exploits last year. I’m sure a Brentford or Palace would be interested at the right price.
Would be an excellent Olise replacement.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Haven't you got the news?

Every young player of ours will be a nailed-on elite player.
If they don't have great performances, it's due to idiots being the manager, experienced coaches having favourites and is always down to not having enough game time.

If you have any differing opinion you will be put down like a traitor.
Now, goosestep in line, Comrade.

Pickle85

If they don't have great performances, it's due to idiots being the manager, experienced coaches having favourites and is always down to not having enough game time.

:lol: REASONABLE OPINIONS EXPRESSED WITHOUT EXAGGERATION WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

Aaaaand altogether now: "He can't possibly be as bad as Antony" etc.

Matt Varnish

When fringe players are given an oppotunity they have to seize it, he failed to do that last night.
He looked comletely lost, as though he had joined the club in the morning, not been training with the first team for months.
The jury still has to be out based on that performance, but lets not write him off just yet.
Give it a rest, seize 20 minutes at the end of a horrible team performance and the whole match was a mess.Lets be realistic, he only got the ball a handful of times and the whole team shape was a mess. The desire to write off our players on here whilst finding excuses for dross like Antony is unbelievable. Give the guy a few starts and see what he can do. He cannot offer less attacking threat than Antony.
Best to read the whole post before jumping in with both feet and misquoting someone

Gordon Godot

This is an awful thread with some stupid posts. We paid a ton of money for this guy and he played well in a tough league. Its not hard, give him a couple of starts (ideally not at City), and see how he does. What have we got to lose at this point? Dont sell him in the summer after a few sub appearances.

Raven

- Lost the ball in a critical area which could’ve lead to something.

- allowed a cross that lead to a chance

- Amrabat was tired so he needed someone to back him up. Not sure that fully happened.

still young and learning, and a huge talent, but defensively, I haven’t seen anyting to back up that he “defends well”. Could come as he matures and understands his tasks more. The tempo always takes some getting used to for new players.
:houllier::lol:

Raven

Can avoid the actual point of question if you want, but let's say Garnacho when he broke through then?

i want thim to succeed here and I think he'll get more chances this season, but he should really be earning it on merit, rather than someone being shit or been given chances despite being shit. That's just lowering the standards in my opinion.
What lowers the standards is allowing Rashford, Bruno, McTominay and Antony (not so much recently) stink out the place every week with zero repercussions.

I'm honestly speechless at the fact that you think giving a highly rated young player, coming off the back of a great season in the championship, a proper crack would lower standards.

Raven

Would be an excellent Olise replacement.
Been thinking this lately. Be hilarious if we ended up buying Olise for crazy money with Amad going the other way only for Amad to end up the better player. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happen either.

Raven

This is what you're calling reasonable? I see the issue here now...

alexanderplatz

I saw Diallo play for Sunderland in the fa cup at Fulham and he looked very lively, confident and always wanting the ball. He looked tricky as well and was a threat.
Was at the game last weekend and he looked unsure of himself and hesitant, almost under pressure. So just on the eye test he’s lacking a bit of confidence right now and I think could use some regular game time for a while.
Last night I thought he defended well, though there was one situation of his own making where he managed to get back in time and win it back. More than we see from others to be fair.
He doesn’t need to be a superstar but I do think he has shown enough to be given an opportunity to show what he has. Our ‘good trainers’ are turning up in games and putting little effort in or being found wanting defensively at least, makes sense to give a player who shows up on match day a go.
Yes I am aware putting a shift in shouldn’t be the reason you get to play but honestly we have so many shirkers the manager should be putting anyone with a bit of hunger on to the field

Gordon Godot

I saw Diallo play for Sunderland in the fa cup at Fulham and he looked very lively, confident and always wanting the ball. He looked tricky as well and was a threat.
Was at the game last weekend and he looked unsure of himself and hesitant, almost under pressure. So just on the eye test he’s lacking a bit of confidence right now and I think could use some regular game time for a while.
Last night I thought he defended well, though there was one situation of his own making where he managed to get back in time and win it back. More than we see from others to be fair.
He doesn’t need to be a superstar but I do think he has shown enough to be given an opportunity to show what he has. Our ‘good trainers’ are turning up in games and putting little effort in or being found wanting defensively at least, makes sense to give a player who shows up on match day a go.
Yes I am aware putting a shift in shouldn’t be the reason you get to play but honestly we have so many shirkers the manager should be putting anyone with a bit of hunger on to the field
This is it. When Rashford can turn up and stink the place out, then we are already playing with 10. Antony was a bit better yesterday than his appalling sub appearance at Wolves, but that's not hard and he still offer zero threat. People saying he needs to grab the game in a 10 minute cameo, we need to give him a proper chance. Nothing to lose here. Other than ETH playing ultra safe for self preservation, which I suspect is part of the problem here.

Njord

What are people afraid of should Amad take Anthony's minutes? That we will lose the goal threat from our RW? That he can't replicate Anthony's amazing chance creation and assists? Or that it will leave us open, conceding 20 shots per game?

I see no reason to write off a young player who has done well at youth level, and on loan in the Chamiponship, after three 10/15 min cameos. And I see no reason why we shouldn't allow him a couple of starts to prove himself.