Amadou Onana

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
That's a fair opinion and you see more of him than I do, I do however think it mostly his physical profile as well as age(21) and the fact that he clearly does have technical ability (however inconsistent that might be) that might be attracting us and as I mentioned we have been linked to a similar cm in Habib Diarra. Perhaps if this is actually coming from Ten Haag then he may feel he can mould him to what he wants as he would be second fiddle to Casemiro in the short term anyway.

Could I ask what in particular you feel he lacks at this point that makes him not good enough for a top club?
Consistency. Can be 8/10 and 2/10 in the same game. Can be 8/10 for two weeks and then 2/10 for 5 weeks. He has too many average or below average performances still and not enough consistency mentally in his game yet. I think that will come in time but needs to pick up if he wants to make it at a top club. He has the technical and physical qualities to be an elite player but he needs to improve his concentration and application of those talents.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Consistency. Can be 8/10 and 2/10 in the same game. Can be 8/10 for two weeks and then 2/10 for 5 weeks. He has too many average or below average performances still and not enough consistency mentally in his game yet. I think that will come in time but needs to pick up if he wants to make it at a top club. He has the technical and physical qualities to be an elite player but he needs to improve his concentration and application of those talents.
Ah I see thanks. That's probably what I expected given the age but it's still good to know.

I think the plan with a lot of players who profile like him is if they sign for big clubs they do so strictly as rotation options and are given specific tactical instructions when they do play whilst the flaws in their game are ironed out over time in training and games. But of course cost matters and you guys won't sell him cheap which is why if a club goes that route they should look to sign this type of player before they sign for a prem side.

Mainoldo

Yes I do rate Amrabat, think he'll be a great defensive option to have.
Amrabat i assume will be cheaper and has had better big game performances to go along with, he was great in the world cup and against West ham in the conference league.
See I don’t see much difference. Onana also played well at the World Cup for a poor Belgium team. He was the reason their tournament had an up turn.

ETHisaRed

Maybe a lazy comparison, but is he a little bit of a better version of Fellaini?!

mu4c_20le

I just don’t see Everton selling for cheap, they have no reason to. I think he’s got potential, but he looks so raw.
He plays at a much higher level. At his age, Amrabat was still in Eredivisie, and is still a question mark coming from serie a now.

croadyman

He plays at a much higher level. At his age, Amrabat was still in Eredivisie.
Yeah he does and if we had that Amrabat type player already then wouldn’t be against this guy but unfortunately we don't

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I just don’t see Everton selling for cheap, they have no reason to. I think he’s got potential, but he looks so raw.
I don't think he was raw as much, the players around him were disjointed and he was the only player showing consistency for them.

His world cup appearances with better quality was more pleasing. I also think Everton are a selling club.

IrishRedDevil

''It would take at least a bid of £50m to convince Everton to sell.''

They bought him last year for £33m.

Move on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The journo isn't the most reliable when it comes to United and the story would have to be corroborated by a journo close to United. But Amadou Onana would be a potential upgrade on Scott Mctominay imo. And that opinion is mostly based off what I've read about the player. It seems ten Hag wants to raise the physical level in midfield without compromising on the technical level. I think if we can add Onana and Ambrabat to the team, it would significantly raise the physical and technical level of the team.

The twitter handle below has been very positive about us signing Onana for a while now. And his write ups have been quite compelling as far I'm concerned.

El-Manos

He’s talented and suits the premier league but there might be cheaper options in the market

philippexyz

I wouldn't mind this signing. Tough, physically imposing(6'5) midfielder who's still pretty young(21) and probably has lots of room to improve. Didn't really watch much of him to evaluate him further. Heard he's pretty decent on the ball, as well.

Should be a more talented, upgraded version of McTominay. Destroyer with passable ability on the ball. Potential understudy to Casemiro.

croadyman

The journo isn't the most reliable when it comes to United and the story would have to be corroborated by a journo close to United. But Amadou Onana would be a potential upgrade on Scott Mctominay imo. And that opinion is mostly based off what I've read about the player. It seems ten Hag wants to raise the physical level in midfield without compromising on the technical level. I think if we can add Onana and Ambrabat to the team, it would significantly raise the physical and technical level of the team.

The twitter handle below has been very positive about us signing for a while now. And his write ups have been quite compelling as far I'm concerned.

Now you see if we could get both that's an entirely different situation to discuss

mav_9me

I had a feeling we were going for him, sadly .

I didn't want us to take players like Fellaini or Mctominay anymore, but there you go. Let's hope we don't get him. Amrabat is both cheaper and better than this pal .
Onana is much better than those two technically. Underrated technique because he looks awkward, is lanky etc. But he is fine technically.

My thing with him is, the cost, where's he going to play, doubt he can deputize for Casemiro. So what's the plan?

mu4c_20le

He has the physical attributes to boss the midfield, I remember him giving Casemiro a warm welcome to the PL last season.

croadyman

He has the physical attributes to boss the midfield, I remember him giving Casemiro a warm welcome to the PL last season.
Yeah but like I say we still need that guy who can pass and progress it in Amrabat too

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Watched him very closely when we (Chelsea) were linked with him very early this summer. Looks like a monster physically and is pretty solid technically for a huge guy. But still looks very raw from a tactical discipline and positioning point of view.

Don’t think he’s polished enough for one of the big sides like Chelsea or United yet. Feels like Everton (a traditionally midtable side) is his correct current level.

the_cliff

If we've enquired about Onana I think it means Mctominay is on his way.

Santos J

I had a feeling we were going for him, sadly .

I didn't want us to take players like Fellaini or Mctominay anymore, but there you go. Let's hope we don't get him. Amrabat is both cheaper and better than this pal .
Such a lazy comparison just because he's tall. He's nothing like.

mav_9me

Watched him very closely when we (Chelsea) were linked with him very early this summer. Looks like a monster physically and is pretty solid technically for a huge guy. But still looks very raw from a tactical discipline and positioning point of view.

Don’t think he’s polished enough for one of the big sides like Chelsea or United yet. Feels like Everton (a traditionally midtable side) is his correct current level.
That's exactly my concern.

Having said that if we can get him for a similar price as McT sale, then that upgrade is worth it.

arthurka

I think this guy could be a fantastic signing for us. He is a massive upgrade on Fred and McT.