Amadou Onana

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Never watched him but the Liverpool fans on their Reddit who've watched his highlights don't rate him at all
I think he would actually be a good fit for them. Especially after watching yesterdays game.

croadyman

I would be more open to him instead of Amrabat if he could match the passing stats,however looking at fbref it's no contest on that score

croadyman

Completely agree.

And according to the Guardian piece posted above, West Ham bidding again for Mctominay could well see a bid being accepted. Then I can see us possibly signing both Onana and Amrabat.
That's what I really hope happens but horrible feeling we can't sell Scott and we are faced with having to choose one which is frustrating

the_cliff

I would be more open to him instead of Amrabat if he could match the passing stats,however looking at fbref it's no contest on that score
I do think Amrabat at the current point in time is better technically but you do have to put into consideration Onana playing for Everton under Sean Dyche/Lampard. They aren't exactly a team set up in keeping possession...

mu4c_20le

Should also be taken into consideration that those numbers are in a slower league

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Yeah the difference is huge but him playing for Everton also has a lot to do with that.

the_cliff

Should also be taken into consideration that those numbers are in a slower league
Yeah good point, the worry I have for Amrabat is adapting to the pace of the premier league, I have a feeling he'll adapt like DVB and it's the reason why I'd much prefer Onana, he's a safer option.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I do think Amrabat at the current point in time is better technically but you do have to put into consideration Onana playing for Everton under Sean Dyche/Lampard. They aren't exactly a team set up in keeping possession...
Good point.

I think we do need a controller type in midfield and Amrabat will provide that option. But it would also be good to sign someone like Onana who can be moulded into a even better midfielder.

Roboc7

I’d quite like this signing I think. He’d be an absolute monster in the middle for us. Reminds me a bit of AWB with his tackling with him having such long legs. Harsh on Amrabat if we signed Onana instead though. Amrabat has waited all summer for us
Yeah he is a real presence which is something we lack. Been impressed whenever I’ve seen him but it’s only handful of games.

We have to remember that as well as DVB and Mctominay being deadwood/surplus to requirements, Casemiro and Eriksen both turn 32 this season. We are going to need to sign multiple midfielders over next couple of seasons at a time when prices are crazy.

It does feel like Amrabat is being kept waiting as he is our cheap option and he’ll have to keep his fingers crossed Mctominay doesn’t get sold.

SaboTaj

I would prefer Onana over Amrabat, just because of Onana’s potential. Wouldn’t mind either though at this point.

Consistency might be an issue with Onana but I remember his performance against Arsenal last season (Everton won that game i think) - he was magnificent all around the pitch. There’s definitely a player there in him and Ten Hag could be the right coach to help him fulfil his potential.

El Jefe

The Aaron Wan Bissaka of a midfielder.
The links to him made me worries but this video was very impressive and I can actually see why we'd be interested in him after watching this.

Obviously its a video of all his good stuff but it was a lot better than what I thought it would look like.

I've been in many threads saying how unathletic and physically imposing this team is for a top side and EtH must have viewed things similarly. Mount is a pressing machine and Højlund's running power is also clear. Soon teams won't be able to bully us physically anymore.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I partly agree with silentwitness on this, the fee for him would be about 70mil and is in IMO too much for where he currently is. Really we need to be getting this type of cm before he gets to a prem club which is why either Amrabat or Habib Diarra make more sense at this point.

croadyman

He would allow us to manage Casemiro much like a Todibo/Tapsoba does with Varane

AneRu

Completely agree.

And according to the Guardian piece posted above, West Ham bidding again for Mctominay could well see a bid being accepted. Then I can see us possibly signing both Onana and Amrabat.
For all intents and purposes I think ETH has moved on from Amrabat to Onana, different profiles but maybe he values Onana's physicality over Amrabat's deeper build up skills which he knows Shaw and Martinez provide anyway. A Fellaini size with technique would be difficult for teams to handle and will be handy off the ball.

We must be prepared for Everton absolutely rinsing us, at least £60m. Maybe that explains our inclination towards selling youth players we would normally keep, we are fund raising for a big purchase.

Abraxas

Selling for 50 million as reported in The Guardian seems optimistic.

Everton invested big bucks to get him. Surely they'd want to double that, at least. Teams generally don't want to make 20 million on a signing they speculate on. They want huge profit margins to justify the many times you buy a player and they don't reach expectation or will never reach the level of attracting big bids.

croadyman

For all intents and purposes I think ETH has moved on from Amrabat to Onana, different profiles but maybe he values Onana's physicality over Amrabat's deeper build up skills which he knows Shaw and Martinez provide anyway. A Fellaini size with technique would be difficult for teams to handle and will be handy off the ball.

We must be prepared for Everton absolutely rinsing us, at least £60m. Maybe that explains our inclination towards selling youth players we would normally keep, we are fund raising for a big purchase.
Fecks me off Erik is forced to choose between the two of them. Would say this doesn't happen at other clubs but then City & Chelsea are anomalies

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Well could get him too if we could actually sell McTominay,so frustrating that Heaton got injured scuppered any sale of Henderson too
Amrabat and Onana would be like close to 90m. So we’d defo need to get money for Mctominay. With Maguire leaving though we need another CB. Can’t see us getting 2 more CM and a CB. I think it will be 1 CM and 1 CB. Amrabat is probably the most likely just because he’s the cheapest and we’d basically get him from the Maguire money.

Amsterdam Devil

I thought he was great some games last season. I remember he really stood out when Everton beat Arsenal 1-0 last season, I remember thinking what a great midfielder he could be. But in other games he was weak and couldn’t make the difference for his team. At 21 he is far from the finished article.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I must admit I was impressed by him last season whenever I watched Everton, I’m not sure if it was a case of him being less turd than the other players but he always stood out.

I’m not quite sure if he’s good enough for us though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yeah he is a real presence which is something we lack. Been impressed whenever I’ve seen him but it’s only handful of games.

We have to remember that as well as DVB and Mctominay being deadwood/surplus to requirements, Casemiro and Eriksen both turn 32 this season. We are going to need to sign multiple midfielders over next couple of seasons at a time when prices are crazy.

It does feel like Amrabat is being kept waiting as he is our cheap option and he’ll have to keep his fingers crossed Mctominay doesn’t get sold.
That’s true, that’s the only problem when we go for midfielders at the age of 30. It’s like the main position you need fresh legs in so we need to target younger players or mid 20s. We need a mixture of youth and experience. I’d take Amrabat this season and go back in for Onana next season when Everton get relegated.

croadyman

I must admit I was impressed by him last season whenever I watched Everton, I’m not sure if it was a case of him being less turd than the other players but he always stood out.

I’m not quite sure if he’s good enough for us though.
Think he could be with Erik's coaching,however without Amrabat I worry about the lack of quality passing and keeping possession

Teja

Is he better than McT? It seems silly to sell McT for 30m and pay Everton's 50m asking price for the guy.

croadyman

That’s true, that’s the only problem when we go for midfielders at the age of 30. It’s like the main position you need fresh legs in so we need to target younger players or mid 20s. We need a mixture of youth and experience. I’d take Amrabat this season and go back in for Onana next season when Everton get relegated.
Problem is if he has a good season for them then price could absolutely rocket

Rolaholic

Is he better than McT? It seems silly to sell McT for 30m and pay Everton's 50m asking price for the guy.
He's definitely better and 5 years younger, unfortunately you have to pay a premium for young talent these days

SATA

Looks like we are abandoning Amrabat and going for this guy instead. Maybe it’ll be a deadline day signing this

Abraxas

It wouldn't be silly if this guy is good enough which you would hope he's better than McTominay if they've scouted this guy all year. 20 million net outlay to get a much younger talent the manager wants would be very good business for us on the face of it.

I think it is more like 60-65 with add ons though.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Given his age and him already being better than McT I think that would be good business but Everton will probably want more than that.

Alemar

We must be prepared for Everton absolutely rinsing us, at least £60m.
We play a behind closed doors friendly with Everton tomorrow. Probably something will be discussed there

Roboc7

Yeah normally you’d be talking about replacing ageing midfielders like those two but we’ve only recently signed them.

Everton do look like could be in trouble but if he has a good season 60m would look cheap judging by current madness.

Just so much uncertainty about who will leave and who may come in as a lot of moving parts.

Chief123

We’ve become so used to the poor standards of Mctominay and Fred, we find any player who is an improvement on them as a good signing.

I’m not saying Onana is a bad signing but Mctominay certainly shouldn’t come up in conversation as any kind of baseline. I’d rather play our GK Andre Onana in midfield than Mctominay.

bosskeano

Absolutely not, the perspective of many feeling that he wouldn't add to the team. I'd also take him over Amrabat.
if the price is within say 10m....you have to go with Onana b/c of age, salary and he's proven himself in the premiership