American Cops Doing What They Do Best

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I just realised at the start of the video they blatantly shoot across what looks like a busy street. No concern for collateral at all. Absolute scum of the earth.
As opposed to allowing a potential assailant shoot them as they politely wait for traffic to pass until they're allowed to shoot.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Wow that’s crazy. Why can’t they use rubber bullets? They’ll go down, but will probably live.

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
As opposed to allowing a potential assailant shoot them as they politely wait for traffic to pass until they're allowed to shoot.
You genuinely seem like a good poster and likeable guy (as much as you can tell over the internet anyway) but I think you are taking this as everybody attacking the US and consequently being blinded by your will to defend it.

I like the US, and can identify with a lot of the ideology of the country as an whole. However, the shooting in this thread was outrageously bad, and to try and make excuses for the police in this instance casts you in a bad light fella.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
An unarmed man got assassinated by cops and this doesn't upset you? It happens all to often. Scumbag cops thinking they're above the law and sure why shouldn't they. Kill an innocent, worst thing that happens is suspension with pay.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
An unarmed man got assassinated by cops and this doesn't upset you? It happens all to often. Scumbag cops thinking they're above the law and sure why shouldn't they. Kill an innocent, worst thing that happens is suspension with pay.
Of course I find it upsetting, although I don't know all the facts, so I'll have reserve judgement as to what exactly happened and why.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You genuinely seem like a good poster and likeable guy (as much as you can tell over the internet anyway) but I think you are taking this as everybody attacking the US and consequently being blinded by your will to defend it.

I like the US, and can identify with a lot of the ideology of the country as an whole. However, the shooting in this thread was outrageously bad, and to try and make excuses for the police in this instance casts you in a bad light fella.
As a brown fella who has recently been pulled over by US cops for bizarre reasons, I should probably be a bit more contemptuous, but I'm not. Cops have a difficult job to do in the US. The bad ones should be rooted out of course.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Usually I'd defend the police in situations like this, when we don't know the facts, but that video is shocking. He clearly wasn't armed (and was in very close proximity to the police so could clearly be seen), also if he had had a gun and was prepared to use it, why was he wasting his time throwing stones?

He had his arms raised and was surrendering when they fired at him.

If I could find any I would make some points to play devils advocate, but I can't, it's the execution of an unarmed man, whats next pepper spray for jwalkers?

The degree of fear and paranoia which seems to occupy so many Americans is mental.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't know the fachts in this case Pops. I'll have to read up on it more before sticking my neck out any further.

Eyepopper

I don't know the fachts in this case Pops. I'll have to read up on it more before sticking my neck out any further.
Based on that video there I'm not sure what justification there can be for them firing at him.

I'm not sure what other facts are needed really. Shooting someone dead is fair enough if someone is in danger (either the policeman or another member of the public) - in the Ferguson case, and the case of the 12 year old with the airsoft pistol I think both got what was coming to them (not saying they deserved it but if you play with matches don't complain if you get burned) - but its VERY clear from the video that there wasn't any immediate danger, he was surrendering, he was unarmed, there were three of them within range to overpower him, but they decided to open up on him (a static target) at close range. If they had giving him a good kicking I'd defend them to the end of the earth, shot him in the leg I would have said it was excessive but what happened is totally fecking mental.

My brother has been a cop for 20 years and has carried a gun for 15. He has had boiling water thrown over him, been attacked with slash hooks, had his teeth knocked out, been outnumbered and overpowered - I could go on - do you know how many people he has killed? None. How many times he's drawn his gun? Once - in response to someone pointing a shotgun at him through a car window. How many shots he's fired in the line of duty? None.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Obviously there are good and bad police but between the violence and the stupidly pointless policing of drugs it does feel like they are just government goons (I realise these are two entirely different points). The Guardia Civil in Spain are horrendous. They got away with beating a man to death last year in Ibiza and almost killed a neighbour of mine, he got lucky just to be put in a coma by them. Both had lost their head but posed little threat.

Or wait 'til they are actually under a threat that isn't a rock and a guy running off maybe?

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Did they know he wasn't a threat or are we just assuming it because of the recent controversial cases ?
How is someone running away ever a threat to them though?

If he had pointed a gun at them, then ran off then he would perhaps (and it is still only perhaps) have posed a threat to others but there would still be no urgent need to shoot and risk other's lives anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How is someone running away ever a threat to them though?

If he had pointed a gun at them, then ran off then he would perhaps (and it is still only perhaps) have posed a threat to others but there would still be no urgent need to shoot and risk other's lives anyway.
Not saying its what happened here, but theoretically, the cops don't know if a suspect is armed or not and have the right to shoot him if he resists arrest. If he's running away, he could still conceivably be armed.

Eyepopper

Not saying its what happened here, but theoretically, the cops don't know if a suspect is armed or not and have the right to shoot him if he resists arrest. If he's running away, he could still conceivably be armed.
So basically cops can shot anyone they want, in any circumstance, on the grounds that they might have a gun?

It'll free up court time I guess.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Even if they are technically allowed to shoot someone under these circumstances (don't know the law so will have to take your word for it), wouldn't that make it even more insane?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So basically cops can shot anyone they want, in any circumstance, on the grounds that they might have a gun?

It'll free up court time I guess.
They are in complete legal control in that if they tell a suspect to get on the ground, stay in the car (as in another recent case), or any other instruction - they have to do it. If they aren't 100% sure the suspect is unarmed, he could conceivably pull a gun/knife/etc out. That's why in most cases, the cops know they are acting with the law on their side. If that's unacceptable, the law needs to be changed.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Even if they are technically allowed to shoot someone under these circumstances (don't know the law so will have to take your word for it), wouldn't that make it even more insane?
Can't disagree with that. These cases are more incendiary because of the racial subtext of white cops shooting black suspects.

Eyepopper

They are in complete legal control in that if they tell a suspect to get on the ground, stay in the car (as in another recent case), or any other instruction - they have to do it. If they aren't 100% sure the suspect is unarmed, he could conceivably pull a gun/knife/etc out. That's why in most cases, the cops know they are acting with the law on their side. If that's unacceptable, the law needs to be changed.
That is completely fecking insane.

Here's how it works here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_John_Carthy#Calls_for_an_inquiry

Guy barricades himself into a house with a shotgun, ignores calls to put the gun down, fires at cops, is eventually shot dead by the cops.

Outcome - public outcry, full scale independent investigation with the FBI asked to come in and help, government committee established to investigate police procedure.

That guy had a gun, a history of mental illness and had fired shots at police - and shooting him dead was seen as excessive.

Jagga7

Wow, that is brutal. Just hearing the gun shots makes my stomach sink. Such reckless actions from stupid police persons.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Can't justify shooting and killing someone for throwing a brick at cops and the grandfather case is even worse because the man posed absolutely zero threat to anyone.

Had the same thing happened to a white person, we'd be seeing massive outrage everywhere. And the cops in question would have a really hard time getting away with it.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It absolutely needs to be changed. Although ideally in parallel with legislation that makes it much much harder to buy or carry a gun.

Even with a non-concealed weapon there's no need for any police force to go round carrying out summary executions. Just need police with better training and more respect for human life.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Things need to change, but man cops in the US have a tough job.

Everyone running around with guns would put me on edge with an itchy trigger finger too. if I was a cop in some parts of the states I would pretty much fear for my life every day

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I posted this in a separate thread a while back, but it applies here also:

Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios

Here's the original article:

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/2...al-of-police-undergoes-use-of-force-scenarios

It was a story we first brought you last night at 9, high-profile community activist Jarrett Maupin and FOX 10's Troy Hayden joined deputies with MCSO, for a force-on-force training drill.

Both Troy Hayden and Maupin got an opportunity to experience a real-world scenario about how quickly law enforcement officers have to act when confronted suspect.

That story had a lot of people talking, including other law enforcment agencies around the country. Many of them tweeting the story to their followers.

But there was much more than you didn't hear, Reverand Maupin joined FOX 10 in studio to talk about the experience.

ORIGINAL STORY BELOW:

PHOENIX (KSAZ) -- We've seen protests all across the country after police officers have been accused of shooting people who aren't armed.

But what would happen if one of those protesters looked at what it's like to wear a badge, and be put in a life or death situation.

Jarrett Maupin has been very vocal during the recent protests, leading marches on the Phoenix Police headquarters after officers shot an unarmed man who reportedly fought with them.

He agreed to go through a force on force training with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and went through three scenarios where you have to decide to shoot, or not to shoot.

>>You can see the full body cam footage from Maupin's simulation, and how police debriefed him on what happened:http://bit.ly/1yHhFzV

Scenario one is a call of a man casing cars in a parking lot. Maupin approached the man and started asking questions. The suspect in the drill shot Maupin, who was asking him what kind of car he drove. It happens that fast.

FOX 10 asked him when he thought it was time for him to address the scenario with the use of force. "When he came to the back of the vehicle and started hiding, I could sense something was wrong," said Jarrett Maupin.

Scenario two is a call of two men fighting. "What's going on today gentlemen, what are you doing?" he said. He fired at the suspect in the scenario.

FOX 10 asked him why he shot the suspect. "Hey, he rushed me... I shot because he was in that zone, I didn't see him armed, he came clearly to do some harm to my person," said Maupin. "It's hard to make that call; it shakes you up."

Scenario three was a call about a possible burglar walking down the street. Maupin gets him on the ground, but the suspect is not complying. "I need you to keep your hands up sir, I need to check that's in the waistband," he said.

There were no shots fired, but the suspect did have a knife in his waistband.

FOX 10's Troy Hayden went through the scenarios too, without seeing what Maupin did.

It was the same results for both of us; things happen so fast. FOX 10 asked Maupin what his biggest take-away from the exercise will be. "I didn't understand how important compliance was, but after going through this; yes my attitude has changed, this happens in 10-15 seconds. People need to comply for their own sake," said Maupin.

FOX 10 would like to thank the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office for helping us with this story.
Found this really interesting to be honest.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The Police do seem to be one of the few remaining large sets of people who it's ok to judge as an entirety based on the actions of a minority.
Yes but that's because they're the police. They're supposed to be there to ensure the safety of the public. If you have a "minority" of them going around shooting people, and the police as an entity try to defend these actions rather than remove said minority, then that does reflect a pretty major fecking problem with the police as a whole. Any one of them could decide to do something similar knowing there would be no consequences...which in turn will attract nutters to the possibility of being police officers.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm not buying that for one minute noodle.

Because the command level may try to defend the rogue officers here you think it's legitimate to paint an entire nation of police officers (across a myriad of different forces and jurisdictions) as trigger happy nutters ready to shoot anybody on a whim?

US Police, on the whole, do an incredibly difficult and dangerous job and do it well.

Your justification here for painting them all as lunatics is either remarkably simplistic or just plain disingenuous.

Are there problems? Obviously, but that doesn't make it right to tar them all with the same brush.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Nothing supprise me in America any more. Until something is done to disarm the majority of the population people are going to continue to be as paranoid as feck

Tarrou

It looked as if all three cops shot the guy (right?), so that makes me think they are just doing as they're trained to do. If just one guy fired, you could make a case that it was just a trigger happy cop who made an error in judgement. They all shoot despite the fact the guy was facing them with his hands in the air. They could easily have handled that without killing him, but it seems like that thought didn't come into consideration.

I think one of the main problems is the Police know there is very little chance of them being prosecuted. We see case after case on the news where the judge rules in favour of the cop or cops. No matter how absurd their behavior. They think they are above the law.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It looked as if all three cops shot the guy (right?), so that makes me think they are just doing as they're trained to do. If just one guy fired, you could make a case that it was just a trigger happy cop who made an error in judgement. They all shoot despite the fact the guy was facing them with his hands in the air. They could easily have handled that without killing him, but it seems like that thought didn't come into consideration.

I think one of the main problems is the Police know there is very little chance of them being prosecuted. We see case after case on the news where the judge rules in favour of the cop or cops. No matter how absurd their behavior. They think they are above the law.
That's true, mainly because in most instances, the law is on the side of "law enforcement officers" or cops. Its not the cops that are the problem, nor is it the suspects they kill. Its how the law is tilted heavily in favor of cops that allows them the confidence to open fire.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's true, mainly because in most instances, the law is on the side of "law enforcement officers" or cops. Its not the cops that are the problem, nor is it the suspects they kill. Its how the law is tilted heavily in favor of cops that allows them the confidence to open fire.
I don't see why internal disciplinary actions can't bridge that gap though. They shouldn't just be afraid of breaking the law, they should be afraid of doing a bad job and getting sanctioned by their employer as a result. As a doctor you can have really severe sanctions applied (including losing your job, or even license to practice) because of actions that didn't break any law.

It's a cop out deciding that anything goes, so long as it's legally defensible.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't see why internal disciplinary actions can't bridge that gap though. They shouldn't just be afraid of breaking the law, they should be afraid of doing a bad job and getting sanctioned by their employer as a result. As a doctor you can have really severe sanctions applied (including losing your job, or even license to practice) because of actions that didn't break any law.

It's a cop out deciding that anything goes, so long as it's legally defensible.
There definitely needs to be a better system of sanctioning bad cops as well as something that challenges the locker room culture of cops not squealing on other cops.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The dynamic in the US is a bit different due to the amount of guns around. Many suspects are armed or at a minimum have access to weapons, which completely changes the psychology from the cops perspective. If a suspect doesn't follow whatever they are told to do - the cops do get aggressive.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The dynamic in the US is a bit different due to the amount of guns around. Many suspects are armed or at a minimum have access to weapons, which completely changed the psychology from the cops perspective.
That's what I was going to say, in Europe there is not as much guns, so the Police is less stressed, I'm maybe exaggerating but in the US, every police control can end up with a gun fight.