Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Didn't LVG try something similar?

I seem to remember that Herrera made some mistakes defensively or gave away soft free kicks and the experiment was abandoned.

He has looked good thus far, but I'm not completely convinced yet
I only remember him being our deepest midfielder once away to Chelsea where he did a good job considering. I wouldn't mind him being tried there again.

Kaos

A still think a midfield 3 of Pogba, Herrera and Schneiderlin is our best bet. Plenty of movement off the ball and adequate protection for our back 4.

Mark Pawelek

Watch the opening 25 minutes of the game again and try to claim it wasn't the case.
Elsewhere people want to give players several seasons to adjust to playing in a new league or new club, etc. - provided they like that player. Yet when Herrera changes from #8 to #6 we can't give him a match.

Not as if they did anything with their play. I think they got 1 cross in and no shots.

acnumber9

Elsewhere people want to give players several seasons to adjust to playing in a new league or new club, etc. - provided they like that player. Yet when Herrera changes from #8 to #6 we can't give him a match.
In what way has that got anything to do with what I said?

Redlyn

Watch the opening 25 minutes of the game again and try to claim it wasn't the case.
Its not unusual for a team to take a while to grow into some games nevermind an away game, the first game of the season. As long as we didn't concede many chances and eventually found our feet its not such an issue.

acnumber9

Its not unusual for a team to take a while to grow into some games nevermind an away game, the first game of the season. As long as we didn't concede many chances and eventually found our feet its not such an issue.
I'm not saying it's a big deal. It isn't. It was initially my reply to statements that he'd played really well in the first half. It's now some kind of crime to say otherwise.

podurban2

Why are we discussing the opening 20 minutes of the first game of the season under a new manager again?

Man Utd 2:0 Southampton

BlakeUtd

sorry I did'nt know where else to post this but Herrera just said "Antonio Valencia is on par with Dani Alves as the best RB in the world" :houllier:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
sorry I did'nt know where else to post this but Herrera just said "Antonio Valencia is on par with Dani Alves as the best RB in the world" :houllier:
Link?

Suppose Valencia is a real hard worker and a really popular player in the dressing room. One teammate bigging up another, no matter how inaccurate it is!

Alves, especially in his prime, was a monster. Basically a 2-in-1 RB and RM for Barca. He's slightly declining now though.

Not sure who the best RB in the world actually is tbf.

BlakeUtd

Link?

Suppose Valencia is a real hard worker and a really popular player in the dressing room. One teammate bigging up another, no matter how inaccurate it is!

Alves, especially in his prime, was a monster. Basically a 2-in-1 RB and RM for Barca. He's slightly declining now though.

Not sure who the best RB in the world actually is tbf.
HERRERA: VALENCIA IS WORLD'S BEST RIGHT-BACK

I mean I get bigging up a team mate but come onnn hahah. He works hard but (no offence to Val) he might not be in the top 10. Maybe this season Mou might push him thereabouts but probably not into the top 5. Ander is just super happy at the club and loves being part of a potentially great team hence :lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I mean I get bigging up a team mate but come onnn hahah. He works hard but (no offence to Val) he might not be in the top 10. Maybe this season Mou might push him thereabouts but probably not into the top 5. Ander is just super happy at the club and loves being part of a potentially great team hence :lol:
Yeah, Herrera is a very likable bloke. His reactions whenever we score, especially when he's on the bench :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Stats wise I don't think he's far off now really. Obviously Alves used to be clearly the best in the world, but he's regressed quite a bit.

Who else is really in that bracket now?

Carvajal, Coleman, Valencia, Bellerin, Sagna, Lahm.. I am sure I am forgetting many. There isn't a stand out anymore though. Same with LB too really, there's lots of good ones but I think Shaw is well on the way to being the worlds best. He just needs to add some more assists and goals.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Think he is being a good friend and bigging up a teammate. Although Valencia seems to be full on confidence again and nobody can fault the job he is doing for the team.

Mike09

Might not in a top 10 or even top 5? I don't think I agree with Herrera because Lahm is still playing but surely none else are any better than him at the moment apart from Alves and Lahm. The likes of Carvajal, Bellerin, Sagna, and Juanfran aren't much better or worse than Valencia. Barcelona will be so happy right now if they can take Valencia as their right back.

Gazza

Don't see how Herrera can have an important role in the team if we're playing with two center mids as Jose said we would. Assuming one is Pogba, the other needs more defensive solidity. Then he's probably at least, what, third in line for the No 10 spot? So hard to see where the league starts come but I guess he'll be starting in the cups.

Varun

Staff
Might not in a top 10 or even top 5? I don't think I agree with Herrera because Lahm is still playing but surely none else are any better than him at the moment apart from Alves and Lahm. The likes of Carvajal, Bellerin, Sagna, and Juanfran aren't much better or worse than Valencia. Barcelona will be so happy right now if they can take Valencia as their right back.
How are carvajal, bellerin and juanfran not much better? That's without even getting into the likes of Sciglio, Florenzi etc.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
A still think a midfield 3 of Pogba, Herrera and Schneiderlin is our best bet. Plenty of movement off the ball and adequate protection for our back 4.
I used to think so too.

But Herrera and Morgan played against West Ham last season and were truly awful. I remember we played a midfield 3 and Rooney outperformed both.

They both need to step up their game. Schneiderlin especially.

Brightonian

:houllier: I'll give you Sagna and Juanfran (whose age is starting to get to him) but Carvajal and Bellerin are both significantly better, and there are others. Florenzi, de Sciglio, Aurier, Piszczek, Coleman...

We can be happy with Valencia so far this season, but best in the world is very wide of the mark.

Mike09

How are carvajal, bellerin and juanfran not much better? That's without even getting into the likes of Sciglio, Florenzi etc.
How are Carvajal, Bellerin and Juanfran are much better than Valencia? Just like Valencia, Juanfran was a winger and converted to right back. Have you watch Juanfran play? Would you consider him to be a world class right back? I want to know how do you rate Juanfran because he's clearly ahead of Bellerin and Carvajal for Spain's right back order. The funny thing is that Bellerin couldn't even start ahead of Juanfran as a right back in Euro 2016. Carvajal couldn't even make Spain's squad and he was being rotated with Danilo in right back position.

Sciglio, Florentine and who else? I never understand how people overrated more names of non proof right back who has done nothing great, have we forgotten about Darmian who was considered to be Italy best right back before he joined us and now he's worse than Valencia. The fact that I think Valencia is not much better or worse than most right back out there like Juanfran, Carvajal and Bellerin means to me there are not many exceptional right back out there apart from Lahm and Alves. The only thing that these right back are much better than Valencia is that they are still young and have potential to be better right back than Valencia. But if we are talking about the current ability, I don't see much different.

Kag

Wrong thread, but De Sciglio is rotten. Seamus Coleman is shite, too.

Herrera isn't too far away, especially in an attacking sense. Plus, our players are in a good fettle and simply bigging each other up. Let it be.

Mike09

:houllier: I'll give you Sagna and Juanfran (whose age is starting to get to him) but Carvajal and Bellerin are both significantly better, and there are others. Florenzi, de Sciglio, Aurier, Piszczek, Coleman...

We can be happy with Valencia so far this season, but best in the world is very wide of the mark.
Age is just about the players have more potential to be a better right back later on. For current level, I don't see much different. I also dare to say that Valencia can be considered to be in a category of PFA team of the year for right back position this season. The competition is tight with Bellerin, Walker, Clyne, Coleman, Sagna but their level aren't much different than Valencia imo, don't you agree?

Varun

Staff
How are Carvajal, Bellerin and Juanfran are much better than Valencia? Just like Valencia, Juanfran was a winger and converted to right back. Have you watch Juanfran play? Would you consider him to be a world class right back? I want to know how do you rate Juanfran because he's clearly ahead of Bellerin and Carvajal for Spain's right back order. The funny thing is that Bellerin couldn't even start ahead of Juanfran as a right back in Euro 2016. Carvajal couldn't even make Spain's squad and he was being rotated with Danilo in right back position.

Sciglio, Florentine and who else? I never understand how people overrated more names of non proof right back who has done nothing great, have we forgotten about Darmian who was considered to be Italy best right back before he joined us and now he's worse than Valencia. The fact that I think Valencia is not much better or worse than most right back out there like Juanfran, Carvajal and Bellerin means to me there are not many exceptional right back out there apart from Lahm and Alves. The only thing that these right back are much better than Valencia is that they are still young and have potential to be better right back than Valencia. But if we are talking about the current ability, I don't see much different.
Don't ask idiotic questions like "Have you seen Juanfran play" if you want a response to your post. Would I be commenting on him without having seen him play?

Now, I'm not sure what the point of your 1st paragraph is. Can you clarify? Carvajal missed the Euros because he was injured btw.

You're right in saying there aren't many exceptional RBs around but it doesnt take an exceptional RB to be better than Valencia which is why Herrera's comments are simply wrong. Juanfran, Carvajal, Lahm and Alves are easily better. Bellerin too though not by the same margin. The likes of Sciglio and Florenzi havent done enough to be called better which is why I named them separately, they are around Valencia's level with none of them having done enough on a consistent basis to be considered better than the other. Only Utd fans could even think Valencia is close to the best RB in the world though. The turnaround is also funny given the same set wanted a new 1st choice RB till 2 games back.

Mike09

Don't ask idiotic questions like "Have you seen Juanfran play" if you want a response to your post. Would I be commenting on him without having seen him play?

Now, I'm not sure what the point of your 1st paragraph is. Can you clarify? Carvajal missed the Euros because he was injured btw.

You're right in saying there aren't many exceptional RBs around but it doesnt take an exceptional RB to be better than Valencia which is why Herrera's comments are simply wrong. Juanfran, Carvajal, Lahm and Alves are easily better. Bellerin too though not by the same margin. The likes of Sciglio and Florenzi havent done enough to be called better which is why I named them separately, they are around Valencia's level with none of them having done enough on a consistent basis to be considered better than the other. Only Utd fans could even think Valencia is close to the best RB in the world though. The turnaround is also funny given the same set wanted a new 1st choice RB till 2 games back.
Nope I don't want a response to my post because all I can see right now is agree to disagree. Unfortunately for you, I'm one of the United fans who has been sticking with my own words that we don't need a new 1st choice right back since the pre season and end of last season. Mainly because I don't see anyone out there are actually much better than the current Valencia apart from Alves and Lahm. Funny thing is I have seen so many people out there like you who thinks that we change our mind, highly doubt that you even pay attention on who changed their mind and who sticked their mind. I'm 100% sure so many United fans are still expecting a new right back like Fabinho.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
Nope I don't want a response to my post because all I can see right now is agree to disagree. Unfortunately for you, I'm one of the United fans who has been sticking with my own words that we don't need a new 1st choice right back since the pre season and end of last season. Mainly because I don't see anyone out there are actually much better than the current Valencia apart from Alves and Lahm. Funny thing is I have seen so many people out there like you who thinks that we change our mind, highly doubt that you even pay attention on who changed their mind and who sticked their mind. I'm 100% sure so many United fans are still expecting a new right back like Fabinho.
Clearly.

What makes you think they we will be save in our right back and left back? We have been missing proper full back in our backfour for 2 seasons in a row.

May be I am just underestimating our current right back or may be you are overrating them. From our right back choice so far Fosu-Mensah is the only one deserve to be our starting eleven. But IMO he will play like Alaba's role which is playing both in midfield and defense so there is no guarantee he will stay as our right back for so long despite of the talent he has for being versatility.
Player like Valencia isn't a natural right back and he doesn't defend like right back. To me he's right midfield or winger who offer balance in both offence and defense. Right back is his backup choice.
Darmian is to me just hasn't show any quality to be our starting eleven right back. He's slow, inconsistent and worst in term of going forward compared to our current right back options. I wouldn't mind to see him as a backup but not first choice.
Varela is probably the worst one in term of defending especially in one on one situation. He can still improve as he hasn't reach his peak yet. But I have to admit that his crossing is deadly. I won't mind to try him as a right midfield or winger.
Either we are going to stick with Fosu-Mensah as a right back or sign a new one.

As for left back. Ever since Evra left, we have been playing a non proper left back for 2 seasons in a row. Are we going to take another risk for 3rd season? I like Shaw-CBJ but as Shaw has been injured so many times, we might need a better backup and to me CBJ hasn't show enough for consistency.
I think one of our biggest problem this season in our defense was we haven't settle our back four. Smalling and Blind have a good season together so far but we have been missing a proper fullback in our back four.
We have been missing Luke Shaw for two seasons in a row and we replaced him with the likes of Rojo who is not a proper full back at all and when CBJ is about to step up he also end up in the list of our injury. Can we trust both Shaw and CBJ fitness next season? If I am the manager I probably won't take this risk again for third season in a row and it's time for us to get a proper left back who can push Shaw. I will go for Cresswell or Azpilicueta.
And once again, ever since 2013/2014 we have been missing Rafael 2012/2013. Valencia and Young aren't a fullback for starting eleven. Darmian looked awful. Varela looked awful in one on one situation. None of these players are proper good quality right back for our starting eleven. Should we go for Mensah as our right back next season?
I am not really afraid with our centre back option. What we need is "World Class" to upgrade Blind but there is none available. As for youngster, I think we can say it's not a big issue when we have plenty option like RoShaun Williams and Tuanzebe or even TFM. Developing them is much better than spending 50m on overpriced and unproven John Stones and Laporte.

Next season:
Azpilicueta (TFM/Darmian) - Smalling (RoShaun Williams/TFM) - Blind (Rojo) - Shaw (Azpilicueta/CBJ)

Mike09

Hmm.. sorry mate but I think you need to re read my post again. I'm 100% sure I said that I stick with Valencia as our right back during "at the end" of last season and "pre season" not during last season or before pre season started.

So why did you even use those two posts? Those two posts were before the pre season even started and not during at the end of last season.
I can see that you are clearly misunderstood it, I wanted Valencia as our right back this season but I didn't expect Jose to pick him as our right back because I thought he prefers a right back specialist or natural full back, that's why I named Azpillicueta and Darmian. I also expected Jose prefers a right back who likes to defend like Ivanovic and that's why I named Mensah as a right back option. I was expecting Jose to use Valencia as a right midfielder just like how he used Ramirez in a big games. But during pre season match, Jose actually likes Valencia as a right back.

Posted on 29th July
4 players are the main priority. After that the market is open for everyone. Some players might be sold and new players are coming to replace them. So a new right back is possible.
But what's up with Valencia? Do you think the likes of Coleman, Clyne, Walker, Sagna, Simpson can do much better job than Valencia does at the moment? In fact, both our right and left will be a scary quartet for any opposition team. Imagine we have 3 quickest player out of these four (Valencia, Mkhitaryan, Shaw, Martial) bombarding their full backs.
Posted on 23rd July
Named any right back at the moment who is considered to be United quality? How many? Are they available?

Valencia is still a good right back option. In EPL, the likes of Sagna, Walker, Coleman, Clyne are currently not any better than Valencia. They still need to fight 50:50 chance for their place with Valencia as a right back. Only Bellerin is better. The likes of Zabaleta and Ivanovic who were considered to be the best right back in the league in recent seasons didn't have a good season at all last season.
I can post them more if you want.

Varun

Staff
Hmm.. sorry mate but I think you need to re read my post again. I'm 100% sure I said that I stick with Valencia as our right back during "at the end" of last season and "pre season" not during last season or before pre season started.

So why did you even use those two posts? Those two posts were before the pre season even started and not during at the end of last season.
I can see that you are clearly misunderstood it, I wanted Valencia as our right back this season but I didn't expect Jose to pick him as our right back because I thought he prefers a right back specialist or natural full back, that's why I named Azpillicueta and Darmian. I also expected Jose prefers a right back who likes to defend like Ivanovic and that's why I named Mensah as a right back option. I was expecting Jose to use Valencia as a right midfielder just like how he used Ramirez in a big games. But during pre season match, Jose actually likes Valencia as a right back.

Posted on 29th July

Posted on 23rd July

I can post them more if you want.
I posted it to highlight how your opinion has done a 180 simply because Jose chose to keep him and not based on him actually proving you wrong unless 2 PL games against Bournemouth and Soton or the few pre season games in China is all it takes. Ofcourse I noticed the dates when those posts were made, its right next to the post itself but that wasn't the point. Its not even wrong to change your mind btw, its just weird to see people hype up Valencia like you did earlier so soon. I'm delighted at the change in him and Fellaini and hope they keep them up but I'm not going to argue for Fellaini as one of the best CMs in the world just as I wouldnt for Valencia as one of the best RBs. They need to do a lot more over a much longer period of time before they can be considered so. Herrera is his teammate, he can say stupid things even if he doesnt believe it to hype up a friend. Not sure why posters here need to do the same.

Anyways, this is the Herrera thread and we're derailing it. I wouldnt even have dug up the posts had you not added the edit. I had left it without a reply after your original response. Agree to disagree or whatever.

Mike09

I posted it to highlight how your opinion has done a 180 simply because Jose chose to keep him and not based on him actually proving you wrong unless 2 PL games against Bournemouth and Soton or the few pre season games in China is all it takes. Ofcourse I noticed the dates when those posts were made, its right next to the post itself but that wasn't the point. Its not even wrong to change your mind btw, its just weird to see people hype up Valencia like you did earlier so soon. I'm delighted at the change in him and Fellaini and hope they keep them up but I'm not going to argue for Fellaini as one of the best CMs in the world just as I wouldnt for Valencia as one of the best RBs. They need to do a lot more over a much longer period of time before they can be considered so. Herrera is his teammate, he can say stupid things even if he doesnt believe it to hype up a friend. Not sure why posters here need to do the same.

Anyways, this is the Herrera thread and we're derailing it. I wouldnt even have dug up the posts had you not added the edit. I had left it without a reply after your original response. Agree to disagree or whatever.
I already said this from the previous post that I sticked with Valencia as our right back since at the end of last season and pre season. Which mean I haven't change my opinion at all since then. Those two posts that you used were different date. At the end of last season Valencia looked a completely different player, since then personally I wanted him as a right back but realistically I thought Jose wanted a specialist right back, that's why I didn't expect him to be our right back in Jose's starting eleven. I like to think realistic instead of talking something based on my personal feeling.

kr0nix

He didn't have a great season, but there are plenty of examples in this video highlighting his good technique and eye for a pass. I'm a big fan of his, hope he can take advantage of Fellaini's absence to show what he can do.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's making such a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.