Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prath92

Maybe its because his attacking game has been on a decline since he came here but this could also be as a result of added defensive responsibility so its hard to fault him with that when you study his stats. Matching or bettering Kante is no joke and he deserves praise for that imo.
His best scoring season was in 14/15 at United. would say it's now similar to at Bilbao

MJJ

Ander is the best example of how far a strong mentality can take you - without his desire and force of will to impose himself on the game, he'd be marginally better than your average midfielder. There's a strong spine developing at United with players of that ilk - Zlatan, Pogba, Ander, Carrick, Valencia without meaning to be harsh on some of the other players. Under Fergie this mentality was both pervasive and infectious, and it looks like it's coming back, slowly but strongly. Exciting times to be a United fan.

EDIT: In retrospect, it's a bit harsh to describe Ander as marginally above average in terms of talent. He's one of the best jack-of-all-trades midfielders in the Premier League, does a bit of everything to a good, if not world class standard. He'd be an asset to any team in the Premier League.
:lol:

MJJ

You don't think Carrick and Valencia have these qualities?
Nope, valencia shat himself under the pressure of wearing the number 7. So much so that he had to give it back for his performances to improve while a long-term criticism of carrick has been that he under-performs in bigger games or when he is pressed. Remember west ham last year?

Dobbs

One of the best defensive midfielders in the world presently. Very impressed by his transformation.
He and the rest need to be competing against the best before we can make that assertion.

It's only this season that he's cemented his club place and got into the national team. When/if we get back into the ECL and we're up against the top teams then we'll see.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nope, valencia shat himself under the pressure of wearing the number 7. So much so that he had to give it back for his performances to improve while a long-term criticism of carrick has been that he under-performs in bigger games or when he is pressed. Remember west ham last year?
The Carrick stuff is just people looking for character flaws to explain why, shock horror, a player has an occasional bad game. He's put in plenty of top performances in big games and when pressed. If he wasn't capable of doing that we wouldn't have won half as many trophies as we have with him in our team.

m1y2

He @Escobar is actually right, Ander isn't really a DM, that'd be Carrick in our team.

Herrera is more of a box to box who presses everywhere and also high up the pitch. You normally wouldn't see DM constantly pressing as high as the opposition goalkeeper.

Carrick is the one who sit in front of the defense, Herrera roams everywhere. The difference between him and Pogba is that the latter is tasked with the creative burden of the team and has a lot less restriction with his positional discipline and can wonder high up the pitch very often while the former in Herrera is more tasked with recycling and intercepting the ball and get our flow going. He also roams all over the pitch and press as high as the opposition's goalkeeper.

But Herrera is definite not a DM but more of a box to box with an inclination to more defensive duties.
that's not true, DM = defensive midfielder = midfielder with defensive work, Ander is even more defensively sound than Carrick - the number of won tackles and interceptions is the prove, the workrate behind it all etc.. Carrick is hardly a DM, he's deep laying playmaker or a no6, he just starts deeper on the pitch but in the end it's just terminology, we all know what the palyers do on the pitch as the roles are pretty clear for everyone after a few games we've seen these all together.

Ander in my opinion can play anywhere in midfield and anyrole, he showed he can be great as no8 or b2b in which he might have best foundations to excel but he also had monster game as a no6, like the one against Liverpool or under LVG against Chelsea when he failed to score in the end.. as a no10 he palyed at times for Bilbao and was also very good and for us only appeared there a few times but in fecked up set up by again LVG, so with players like Mhiky Zlatan or Pogba would be a complete different story, and right now he's given the more restricted role but for the sake of balance and he's done a great job, would't change him for anyone because if asked he can paly anywhere and different roles..

I'd love to see him as a no10 more personally but with Pogba in the team who has all the ability and creativity himself even though he's more hollywood player, it's certainly out of question..

kr0nix

Valencia may have returned the #7 shirt, but that shouldn't negate everything else he's done at United. He has a tremendous work ethic and determination to succeed, which is why he remains a key member of the starting XI over the years while more talented players have come and gone. Watch him this season and you'll see his desire to dominate his flank right from kick off. He ALWAYS gets forward to support the play when in possession, and never shirks his defensive duties while out of possession. As a result we hardly ever look vulnerable on our right hand side, whereas on the left we have had Shaw, Blind and Darmian struggle for various reasons, often requiring support from a forward. He's a leader.

As for Carrick, I think the fact that he was a mainstay in Fergie's title winning sides speaks for itself. Since Fergie left we've gone and bought Fellaini, Blind, Herrera, Schneiderlin and Pogba, yet we keep having to play Carrick at 34 years of age because we win significantly fewer games without him in the side. It's Carrick for whom finding a like-for-like replacement is a moot question. People talk about this or that game, namely the two Champions League Finals against Barcelona, in which he wasn't so good, but if you look at the overall picture you'll see that he's been a genuine leader in midfield. At times he's had to shoulder the burden of being the ONLY midfielder of genuine quality for us.

Ultimately I was going to discuss a point regarding mentality. It's not about running around a lot, gesticulating, or making thunderous tackles. I think it's a sort of boldness, with the belief that any game is yours to lose. Fergie signed many players of this ilk. Phil Jones, for example, drew interest after he was seen encouraging and rallying his teammates in a game that they were losing heavily. It seems obvious but not a lot of players possess these qualities.

Oneunited26

Maybe its because his attacking game has been on a decline since he came here but this could also be as a result of added defensive responsibility so its hard to fault him with that when you study his stats. Matching or bettering Kante is no joke and he deserves praise for that imo.
The most important part with herrera, him along with carrick are running that midfield, carrick's positional play, herrera's engine and passing ability that gives pogba the freedom to roam and link up with Miki and zlaten, 3 of our world class signings Jose got in the summer. I don't really mind if hererra's attacking play has declined, pogba, miki and zlaten give us plenty of potency, not too mention either martial, lingard, rashford will also add to this. Its all about tactics, herrera and carrick are making us a very slick controlling unit to channel the aggression pogba, zlaten and Miki offer when going forward

itso 7

The most important part with herrera, him along with carrick are running that midfield, carrick's positional play, herrera's engine and passing ability that gives pogba the freedom to roam and link up with Miki and zlaten, 3 of our world class signings Jose got in the summer. I don't really mind if hererra's attacking play has declined, pogba, miki and zlaten give us plenty of potency, not too mention either martial, lingard, rashford will also add to this. Its all about tactics, herrera and carrick are making us a very slick controlling unit to channel the aggression pogba, zlaten and Miki offer when going forward
I am definitely not complaining because he is performing a vital role which allows Carrick and Pogba to do what they do best for the team. His bite covers for any mobility challenges that Carrick might have and his pressing aids in making us a solid unit. On the ball he is very good too which helps in.the build up.

izec

A midfield of Kante and Herrera would be amazing in intercepting and recycling balls. Like a hoover in midfield winning and intercepting like madmens. The energy levels of them :drool:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
There's a stat about United winning the ball back in the opposition half more than any other team this season which is surprising given how well teams like Liverpool and Spurs press. It's pretty clear the main man behind this is undoubtedly Herrera

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Seeing all these stats showing how Herrera has made more interceptions and tackles than Kante "the workhorse" in 300 less minutes is quite telling especially considering how talked and bigged up Kante get for his workhorse like performances while Herrera seems to fly under the radar with the media.

Just goes to show how some players are underrated despite doing a lot more than other.

So I'd like to ask what makes Kante a better player than Herrera given that what usually defines his strength such as interceptions, tackles and all those workhorses related skills seems to be not as impressive as Herrera this season, and the latter is undoubtedly an offensively better player than Kante.

I for one knows that Chelsea sitting top right now would be an argument used in favor of Kante but such things highlight collective strength of teams rather than individual. But individually from what I've seen and certainly from the stats(mind you, I'm using them in context here, not at face value) Kante isn't a better player than Herrera.

So what exactly make Kante better. Stats(whether used in context or not) and my eyes aren't showing me such like people would claim.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Seeing all these stats showing how Herrera has made more interceptions and tackles than Kante "the workhorse" in 300 less minutes is quite telling especially considering how talked and bigged up Kante get for his workhorse like performances while Herrera seems to fly under the radar with the media.

Just goes to show how some players are underrated despite doing a lot more than other.

So I'd like to ask what makes Kante a better player than Herrera given that what usually defines his strength such as interceptions, tackles and all those workhorses related skills seems to be not as impressive as Herrera this season, and the latter is undoubtedly an offensively better player than Kante.

I for one knows that Chelsea sitting top right now would be an argument used in favor of Kante but such things highlight collective strength of teams rather than individual. But individually from what I've seen and certainly from the stats(mind you, I'm using them in context here, not at face value) Kante isn't a better player than Herrera.

So what exactly make Kante better. Stats(whether used in context or not) and my eyes aren't showing me such like people would claim.
Right here is the problem with using stats as a sole reason to judge players.
Is Henderson better than both? The stats say he is.

Boycott

Kante has done it for longer.

Lets also not forget only around February onwards did he and the others like Huth/Morgan/Schmeichel get the plaudits for their performance. This was during their spree of 1-0 wins where defence was the key factor. Prior to that the goals of Mahrez and Vardy were the first thing people noticed. Their stats dried up but Kante was still a machine.

Kante has since gone to Chelsea and is emulating his performances. He has played 54 league matches in England and only 2 clubs have beaten a team with Kante in it. Arsenal and Liverpool.

since Kante came to England the two teams have picked up a combined 67 points in 55 games without him but a whopping 120 points in 53 games when he has featured.
That's quite incredible.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Kante hasn't been that special this season and I've watched plenty of Chelsea's games. Their defensive solidity really is mainly because of the 3-4-3. Before that they lost to Liverpool and Arsenal with Kante as well.

Bwuk

Kante is better than Herrera for me.

I love Herreras passion and creativity at times, but I don't think he's put in some of performances Kante has.

Not even the same type of player, Kante wins the ball and passes it on, Herrera is more creative.

Arka_BleedingRed

Kante is better than Herrera for me.

I love Herreras passion and creativity at times, but I don't think he's put in some of performances Kante has.

Not even the same type of player, Kante wins the ball and passes it on, Herrera is more creative.
Ander has had many influential performances for us, Kante is just hyped more because he did it with an underdog team. The truth is that sort of performances is always expected from a player of Manchester United, and as a result the performances gets understated.

Herrera is much more rounded than Kante. He is a better dribbler, has more interceptions, is more creative, better crosser, more versatile. His biggest plus point? He loves United with all his heart and passion. No way Kante is better than him in a United Forum.

Man Utd 2:1 Middlesbrough

The United

I think he is much better at 8. He does barely a decent job as a 6. He almost never passes to his left in this game which is weird.

His lack of passing range will prevent him from being a good holding midfielder for us imo.

Then again, I have been spoiled with the likes of scholes, carrick in that role.

TheSweeper

I think he is much better at 8. He does barely a decent job as a 6. He almost never passes to his left in this game which is weird.

His lack of passing range will prevent him from being a good holding midfielder for us imo.

Then again, I have been spoiled with the likes of scholes, carrick in that role.
He has a lack of spatial awareness to play that role.

El Jefe

I really like him but passing wise he was fecking diabolical today. He was a coward at times and was passing the responsibility of his job to find attackers in space to Bailly and Valencia all game.

And what was wrong with his shooting today?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He cannot play deep like Carrick. Just doesn't have the discipline or vision. His vision further up the pitch is good but it takes a different player to do what Carrick does which is why Carrick has so many fanboys .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought it was one of his worse games of the season but still basically a 7/10 and good overall. The only thing that has been getting annoying are his 25 yard volleys that go way over every time. He just doesn't look composed when taking them and just smashes it without focusing on the shot. Love him though.

Devil may care

He was ok today but had to keep restraining himself from dashing into the press, I just think he's wasted as a #6 as it negates his best qualities and highlights some of his weaknesses.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not as good when he sits deeper, but he was decent. Those shots he takes are damn awful, he really needs to stop.

Sylar

Was thinking about it in the other thread, but having Fellaini play (moreso having Carrick not play) means that it affects others on the pitch.

Having him deep meant he couldnt dictate the high pressing in the first half (which we saw against Spurs as an example). Also he should have tracked the Boro player during the goal, which I think Carrick does a better job at given thats what Carrick is in terms of positional play.

And yeah, really hope he stops with those ridiculous left footed volleys. It kills our momentum on attacks. Not his best game, but he was still decent.

prath92

He was relatively poor but I chalk that down to him playing nonstop for months now.

ti vu

He let Lidebitter run scotfree into the box for their goal
I am not saying he did not, but seeing you put your neck out for Smalling who was all over the place in the build up of this conceding goal, while casually claimed this on Herrera without context, I feel the need to replay the context.

At the moment, we played 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield with Martial played higher up as second forward and off the defensive duty.

Boro build up started on our right with Mata pressed out and the ball was passed to this deep playmaker of Boro that Herrera pressed on to half way of the width of the pitch. Mkhi was partial at fault for not pressing sooner or dropped deep. When Herrera dropped the pressing and getting back into position Mkhi was starting to press which was too late as that Boro play maker already spread the ball out wide. Herrere had to getting back all the way, and the scorer was not his mark to begin with. The scorer was all the time had a fair distance away from Herrera, so not much Herrera could have done.

So back to Smalling, it's his fault to drop deeper and created more ground for Herrera to cover. Had he helped keep the high defensive line, there was a chance Herrera could catch up. Then it was Smalling's fault for leaving a gap to Negredo when Negredo was with him to begin with. With Smalling pace, many people would expect him to be brave and gamble with the high line as he's favorite to beat Negredo if it were a cross going behind the defensive. What happened was the cross was placed around our initial high line (!) for Negredo. At the time of the shot, Herrera got back to our edge of the box (around our initial defensive high line)! Had Smalling been not as a coward, there was a chance he could have cleared the ball vs Negredo or at least put him off enough for Herrera to catch up to the situation.

I repeat again, the scorer was not Herrera's mark. It may be a team error, but a CB in Smalling's position and reputation (captain of the team) should have done much better.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Doesn't have the skill set to play 6 to the level we need but a very good player to have but I think we can still improve on Herrera I'm happy we have him. The least of our worries just now. We need left back area and a replacement for Carrick as our main priorities. Hopefully Shaw fills the left back role.

Camilo

He was pretty poor yesterday - I think we got away with one.. His passing was really poor at times, and against a team that really didn't put up too much fight, he looked harried.

A proper footballing 6 will be needed come the summer, plus someone to compete with Herrera and Pogba for starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.