Anderson | 2013/14 Performances (on loan at Fiorentina)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think most United fans like Ando - he's a likeable feller and all. Whether he's done enough to warrant his salary over the years isn't really my concern, so I'm not bothered about that side of things. And up till this point we have been so short in numbers that keeping him on the books, even as an emergency option, has largely made sense.

Thing is, though, that Moyes is looking to bring in further CMs - at the very least one and probably two (that's what I think, anyway). And with that there just isn't room for Ando. He's behind both Giggs and Jones (both of whom are less than proper CMs) in the pecking order at the moment - and rightly so. We have Fletcher in the picture as a possible squad man, we have Powell in the picture as someone Moyes might want in the squad next season. And we will undoubtedly buy at least one more CM. We'll suddenly be fine in numbers - and, well, that's the end of Ando's United career. Anything else would be surprising.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Anderson is 5th or 6th choice CM. Even with Carrick out I don't expect him to start a league game with us any time soon. He'll be sold next summer.

Salfordlad70

It's hard to believe he has figured for the Brazilian national team.He will be moved on and hopefully for all concerned in January.He needs a new club asap, and as we are nailed on to recruit in the January and summer windows, we need him off the wage bill, because he has fallen so out of favour.

I kinda like him, yet i am furious with him, because his potential has never been reached and he is to blame.Poor fitness and lack of desire has led to this young man stealing a very good living for too long.He's as good as gone!

Kag

You're right EC but then again I remember Anderson of last season and he really didn't show any signs of improvement in terms of mentality, play etc etc ... Maybe this season he could become a top class player or a very efficient and useful Man Utd player, I just doubt it based on last season. I could be wrong tbh.
Other than a terrible game against Southampton, Anderson played well in the vast majority of his games last season.

I think there's a bit of revisionism going on here. His more recent problems have been fitness rather than form. He's a good player that has been decimated by injury and I do feel for the guy. His weight is a different issue altogether. I'm not condoning it, but I very much doubt that it's to blame for his bad knees and dodgy muscles.

Some people, not you, tend to talk as if he's some kind of incompetent clown. He really isn't. I'm still convinced that if you could guarantee his fitness for 20 straight league games, plonked him in the Fulham central midfield, he would put in performances that the much-lauded Moussa Dembele couldn't. Unfortunately, Anderson has never had the fitness levels, nor the luxury of consistent game time at a rotation-orientated United to really pull this off. For this reason, I hope he stays in England when he leaves, can get a run in the side, and show the Premier League the footballer he is. In terms of talent and range of passing, he still has a lot more than the vast majority of current Premier League midfielders.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Barely played under Moyes and no announcements about an injury so I assume he's as good as gone.

Amazing how that so called best transfer window ever has resulted in a mercenary, a man with dodgy knees, someone who is stupidly talented & inconsistent and Anderson who can't be described by words.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You guys aren't happy unless you are rinsing one of our players... this is the top thread at the moment no less. Embarrassing...

Loon

:lol:
I had hoped Moyes could improve his mental/physical fitness as he appears to have done with Rooney, but I now think it's a lost cause. He still looks as if he's carrying excess pounds and I don't know if he has the attitude or commitment of somebody who wants to fight for their place in the squad or to get into the international shake-up.

I think Moyes is more than likely looking at a player Anderson's salary could be used to recruit now.

Danillaco

I'll be sad to see him go. But his situation and development was a shame...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A
You guys aren't happy unless you are rinsing one of our players... this is the top thread at the moment no less. Embarrassing...
A few are are over the top with their criticism, for sure. Not sure you can bracket everyone together though.

sajeev

He is still better than Fellaini in actually doing something with ball, and on his day better than Cleverley. However, it is time he goes.

NotoriousISSY

Saying he's useless and a waste of space is utter nonsense.
If he was a Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or City player we'd all be pissing ourselves at him and them.

There was a time when a bit of patience was acceptable but the man is well past the point of hope.

Its harsh to say he's useless and bordering on a waste of space... But it's not far from the truth in the context of things. Unless of course you're one of those people who's instantly offended by anything negative towards the club or a player.

Ole'sbodyguard

It's probably time to move Anderson on. This is his 7th season with the club and the last five have been very similar and very little, if any progress, has been made.

Moyes seems to have no inclination to use him and he's a pointless squad player as he is never reliably fit.

Pity. He was hugely talented and made a big impact first season. Underlying memory of him is the player he could have been.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If he was a Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or City player we'd all be pissing ourselves at him and them.

There was a time when a bit of patience was acceptable but the man is well past the point of hope.

Its harsh to say he's useless and bordering on a waste of space... But it's not far from the truth in the context of things. Unless of course you're one of those people who's instantly offended by anything negative towards the club or a player.
The thing with Ando is that he hasn't consistently done...anything. Including playing like a useless waste of space. So, in that sense I don't think anyone has much reason to piss themselves laughing. He has remained on the fringe for many years, always with some more or less plausible reason behind it - injuries, lack of a pre-season, being a natural AM in a CM position...you name it. He has had a very disappointing United career for a number of reasons - but I don't think he's a laughable figure: His talent was there for everyone to see when we bought him - and he has always shown glimpses of it during his spell at the club.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I think he deserves a little more respect from a lot of fans. If you don't rate him, that's fine, if you want him sold, that's fine but I don't think some people appreciate just how good a squad member he has been. Now obviously he didn't turn out the way we wanted him to. Yes, it was a lot of money (not his fault). But we as fans piled and piled the pressure on him from the beginning, wanting him to be the new Scholes and all that.

That first season, he made close to 40 appearances, playing a key role in us winning the Champions League, for a young kid to come over to a foreign country, with so much pressure on him from the price tag and the fans hopes, he was, in my opinion, fantastic in that first season. From then, yes it has been very stop start, moments of promise followed by weeks not noticing him but in terms of what he has offered the squad during his time, I think he has been a decent player. Forget about what he is on a week, that's not up to him, if you got given thousands to sit on the bench for United, would you do it? Yes, so don't blame him for that.

Now I agree, I think his time is up, when a player comes in (and only when), then it's time for him to move on but when he does, I'm not going to slate him, he has been a part of a very successful period and I don't think that should be forgotten in place of people hating him because they want the best CM's in the world.

The way we are treating current players reeks of other clubs and isn't the United way.
Well put.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think he deserves a little more respect from a lot of fans. If you don't rate him, that's fine, if you want him sold, that's fine but I don't think some people appreciate just how good a squad member he has been. Now obviously he didn't turn out the way we wanted him to. Yes, it was a lot of money (not his fault). But we as fans piled and piled the pressure on him from the beginning, wanting him to be the new Scholes and all that.

That first season, he made close to 40 appearances, playing a key role in us winning the Champions League, for a young kid to come over to a foreign country, with so much pressure on him from the price tag and the fans hopes, he was, in my opinion, fantastic in that first season. From then, yes it has been very stop start, moments of promise followed by weeks not noticing him but in terms of what he has offered the squad during his time, I think he has been a decent player. Forget about what he is on a week, that's not up to him, if you got given thousands to sit on the bench for United, would you do it? Yes, so don't blame him for that.

Now I agree, I think his time is up, when a player comes in (and only when), then it's time for him to move on but when he does, I'm not going to slate him, he has been a part of a very successful period and I don't think that should be forgotten in place of people hating him because they want the best CM's in the world.

The way we are treating current players reeks of other clubs and isn't the United way.
This is a good post.

Ando's a likeable fella & probably a decent bloke to have around the squad. As you mentioned, it's just not worked out for whatever reason. Injuries, not the most dedicated trainer (by all accounts) etc, but he's not really done anything to be slated like some fans are. What he earns, how much he plays & what we paid for him isn't his doing.

Sadly, as likeable as he is, it's time for him to move on.

Some fond memories though.

Aboutreika18

I think people are just annoyed that he didn't push on from his initial potential. A lot of it is down to his own lack of discipline when it comes to looking after his fitness.

amolbhatia50k

It's miles from the truth, not if you're easily offended, but simply sensible.

CantonaVeron

I think he has a chance over the next few weeks to pull things round, with Carrick injured there is a hole there to fill and I think Anderson can do it. He had a good spell last year for 5 or 6 games then injury struck a run in the side when we need him most could be the making of him. Hopefully he at least gets that chance to prove himself.

NotoriousISSY

It's miles from the truth, not if you're easily offended, but simply sensible.
Anderson is a god. He is a model professional who has always taken care of himself where possible. In fact I take back everything he said, he isn't wasting a squad place at all...Moyes is clueless for not playing him more often.

Ekeke

I think people are just annoyed that he didn't push on from his initial potential. A lot of it is down to his own lack of discipline when it comes to looking after his fitness.
He was also expensive and most likely the reason we didnt sign a new CM for many years when we were clearly weak there. This is all compounded by Hargreaves being the same for a couple years until we could finally get rid of him. But we still didnt spend after he went to City, again most likely to give Anderson every chance possible to be a good player for us. And that hasn't happened either. So unfortunately it was a waste of time and resources.

I dont think theres any doubt that if he was playing for City or Liverpool, our fans would have a wry smile every time they heard his name. Luckily we've been successful in his time here despite him not even coming close to being a good CM for us over the years so it could have been worse. Imagine he was one of our luxury signings and given every oppertunity, while the team failed to win anything. Then there would have been far more pressure on him

manutddjw

Having watched alot of the behind the scenes footage that this club puts out, I can't help but like Anderson and find him amusing. But at this point I really don't care whether he stays or goes anymore and am long past hoping he will ever become a great player for us.

My big issue is that with Sir Alex leaving, he was essentialy given a clean slate to prove himself and cement his place in our team. One thing you can't say about Moyes is that he hasn't given every player on this team an opportunity to prove themselves so far, and unsuprisingly Anderson has remained the same. You'd think with a new manager and the World Cup in Brazil this year, he'd be working his socks off to try and win a place in the Brazilian team which is seen as the holy grail for Brazilian footballer, but he hasn't.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He was also expensive and most likely the reason we didnt sign a new CM for many years when we were clearly weak there. This is all compounded by Hargreaves being the same for a couple years until we could finally get rid of him. But we still didnt spend after he went to City, again most likely to give Anderson every chance possible to be a good player for us. And that hasn't happened either. So unfortunately it was a waste of time and resources.

I dont think theres any doubt that if he was playing for City or Liverpool, our fans would have a wry smile every time they heard his name. Luckily we've been successful in his time here despite him not even coming close to being a good CM for us over the years so it could have been worse. Imagine he was one of our luxury signings and given every oppertunity, while the team failed to win anything. Then there would have been far more pressure on him
Obviously - yes. But this wasn't the case, so it seems unfair to hold a hypothetical scenario against the lad. Our CM situation was remarkable for years under Fergie - but he largely got away with it. If we had struggled severely in terms of results I've no doubt that he would've focused on CM to a far greater extent. And then Ando's situation might've been very different too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

That's it.

Even Ashley Young when he comes back into the side tries giving it all for the team. Anderson doesn't look he's bothered at all. That performance against WBA was pathetic.

amolbhatia50k

Anderson is a god. He is a model professional who has always taken care of himself where possible. In fact I take back everything he said, he isn't wasting a squad place at all...Moyes is clueless for not playing him more often.
Good stuff. If you're wrong, its better to be positive I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.