Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
thats what I meant by "right" balls....The "out of nothing" factor so to speak. If we're just going on the strict definition of "right", then someone like Hargreaves is the best passer
creativity

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Well it's a matter of opinion but out of Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Hargreaves Fletcher and Gibson, I'd only rely on Scholes, and maybe Fletch, now, to find the right balls more consistently than Ando. And he's still the youngest out of all of them - by a while. What do you lot want? Beckham-like Goals?
I don't care if he doesn't score a goal for the next two seasons, what I do want is for him to work on his passing more than anything. As a midfielder it is alot more important to me. Have we ever seen Anderson dictate a game with his passing?

Contrast to what everybody says about him on here, it's his biggest deficit, and what Scholes said about his balooned passes is not so far fetched. He doesn't look like a natural passer, I have a feeing he shouldn't be used as a midfielder at all and should be played further up the pitch in the final third but let us wait and see.

I think his most highest rated games for us, is when he passes to the closest man and plays it safe like he did against Chelsea. This is all good but is it what you want from him as a midfielder?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
thats what I meant by "right" balls....The "out of nothing" factor so to speak. If we're just going on the strict definition of "right", then someone like Hargreaves is the best passer
Don't dare say that when we have Scholesy in our team, that's an insult!

I see what you meant now though, my bad.

Godfather

Opinions indeed, but I'm surprised by that Mockney. I think out of all of them Anderson's the one who's most likely to give the ball away, but I also think he's the most likely (inc. Scholes, I think) to play the killer ball.

It's a real asset.
You clearly forgot about Gibson then

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't care if he doesn't score a goal for the next two seasons, what I do want is for him to work on his passing more than anything. As a midfielder it is alot more important to me. Have we ever seen Anderson dictate a game with his passing?

Contrast to what everybody says about him on here, it's his biggest deficit, and what Scholes said about his balooned passes is not so far fetched. He doesn't look like a natural passer, I have a feeing he shouldn't be used as a midfielder at all and should be played further up the pitch in the final third but let us wait and see.

I think his most highest rated games for us, is when he passes to the closest man and plays it safe like he did against Chelsea. This is all good but is it what you want from him as a midfielder?
United 4-0 Arsenal Fa Cup, for instance ..a game where he totally dominated an Arsenal team containing Fabregas.

Anderson has it in him to dominate games, but he has to be given the right platform to do so, playing him alongside Scholes/Gibson isn't going to help at all or putting the likes of Park on the wing.

Brwned

You clearly forgot about Gibson then
Nah I'm not so sure.

Gibson's passing accuracy is statistically better than Anderson, and I've thought that Gibson's shown himself to be quite decent at not giving the ball away, he just hasn't done a lot more than that in a passing sense very often (in that he probably plays the simple pass too often, but then Fletcher was the same right up until midway through last season IMO).

Addis

Beckham, in toward Schmeichel, it's come for Dwigh
His technique can be simply sublime.

I can't understand how anyone can say he looks awkward with the ball. Apart from his long range passes, playing it short the vast majority of the time it's weighted to perfection and accurate too. Very scholes like in that he expects his team mates to be able to control a fast, pinged pass along the floor. Elegant movement and great agility to be able to work his way out of tight spaces with the ball at his feet.

The type of player you hate playing against in 5 a side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

I can't understand how anyone can say he looks awkward with the ball. Apart from his long range passes, playing it short the vast majority of the time it's weighted to perfection and accurate too. Very scholes like in that he expects his team mates to be able to control a fast, pinged pass along the floor. Elegant movement and great agility to be able to work his way out of tight spaces with the ball at his feet.
Such a crucial ability to have to be a top midfielder, Carrick and Gibson don't posess this.

Brwned

It's hard to describe, and I don't use it as a criticism FWIW, it's just that a lot of his passing looks very forced compared to a lot of other more natural passers.

Mozza'd said that left-footed players just have a different technique to how they approach the game and I tend to think it's just me not being used to that type of technique more than anything.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
When Obertan made his debut, at one point Anderson just ran over to him, said give me the ball, then crossed to Rooney to score. He did it with confidence. Once consistency comes into his game we will have a hell of a player on our hands. I also reckon Owen needs Anderson in the team more than anyone else.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
United 4-0 Arsenal Fa Cup, for instance ..a game where he totally dominated an Arsenal team containing Fabregas.

Anderson has it in him to dominate games, but he has to be given the right platform to do so, playing him alongside Scholes/Gibson isn't going to help at all or putting the likes of Park on the wing.
Indeed. "Dominating games with his passing" is a weird thing to say. It relies on a player to sit and spread balls. Anderson has dominated many games. I'd say Liverpool away 07/08, Arsenal away 07/08 and CL 08/09 semi and Chelsea away this season are all good high profile example of this....But he hasn't dominated them with just passing, because he moves all around the pitch, like he did today when he came on. If you're looking for a "dominates with passing player" you're looking at someone like Carrick, and he hasn't been doing it for 2 seasons now.

As for Gibson...to even compare his progress to Andersons is to ignore everything Ando has done and concentrate soley on some nice goals. Ando is far ahead of Gibson in the progress stakes IMO

Boss

That's the thing though? Did he dominate the game? Nani was our best performer but I think Anderson took all the plaudits if I remember clearly. His best moments were holding off people, what he did with Toure was sublime. A nutmeg on Fabregas and a good header to Rooney.

Was his performance in that match known for his great range of passing though? Out of interest, if I remember correctly he was playing in a much more advanced position in that game, was he not?

Boss

Indeed. "Dominating games with his passing" is a weird thing to say. It relies on a player to sit and spread balls. Anderson has dominated many games. I'd say Liverpool away 07/08, Arsenal away 07/08 and CL 08/09 semi and Chelsea away this season are all good high profile example of this....But he hasn't dominated them with just passing, because he moves all around the pitch, like he did today when he came on. If you're looking for a "dominates with passing player" you're looking at someone like Carrick, and he hasn't been doing it for 2 seasons now.

As for Gibson...to even compare his progress to Andersons is to ignore everything Ando has done and concentrate soley on some nice goals. Ando is far ahead of Gibson in the progress stakes IMO
Mate Arsenal away 07/08 has to be his most overrated performance. It was the game that originally kicked off the whole Anderson > Fabregas. He held up the ball well at times, I give him that but he didn't do much else in the game and was hooked off early whilst Fabregas was probably the man of the match for Arsenal.

It just embodies alot of his performances where he supposedly destroyed the other teams midfield, they are overhyped alot.

Mockney

And Gibson has played well against Arsenal when?...Or Fletcher at 21?...Or Carrick?. You've ignored the other rather hastily remembered examples too

Boss

And Gibson has played well against Arsenal when?...Or Fletcher at 21?...Or Carrick?
Fair enough, but let's not pretend he's there yet. The key is to find a balance with Anderson, let's not underrate what he does for us and let's not go over the top by saying he dominated in games he clearly didn't.

Brwned

I don't think it's clear he didn't dominate those games you think he didn't.

People perceive dominating the game in very different ways.

Mockney

Fair enough, but let's not pretend he's there yet. The key is to find a balance with Anderson, let's not underrate what he does for us and let's not go over the top by saying he dominated in games he clearly didn't.
But he has in certain games. When he was 19, 20 against top opposition. I'm not claiming he's there yet, but his potential is greater than most 21 year old CMs...I just don't get the critisism he gets on here. He's one of the good guys IMO

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's hard to describe, and I don't use it as a criticism FWIW, it's just that a lot of his passing looks very forced compared to a lot of other more natural passers.

Mozza'd said that left-footed players just have a different technique to how they approach the game and I tend to think it's just me not being used to that type of technique more than anything.
No you're right in your assumption that he has a 'unorthodox technique'. Nothing to do with left-footed, it's just unique to Anderson and it's what allows him to pull off some spectacular passes i.e. one to Tevez against Blackburn in the Carling cup but there is also a flaw with his technique as it can be quite inconsistent. He just has to master it and it'll come with experience and a prolonged run of games.

Maradona, Puskas for instance had flawless technique.. so nothing to do with left footers.

Dominating games from midfield can be arguably be done in three ways, 'destroying (Makalele style)', '(goalscoring and assisting Kaka/Gerrard style)' and most importantly 'running a game - Zidane/Scholes/Pirlo'.

The best midfielders are usually the ones who can run a game, consists of great passing technique, mobility and ability on the ball, composure to take people on when under pressure and creativity and vision. They get the ball off defenders or defensive midfielders and construct and conduct moves, artists.

Someone who could do all three would be the complete midfielder. I think Anderson has the potential to run games.. he has a long way to go but I think if we played him with the right players he has it in him.

Gibson would fall into the assist/Goalscoring player.. I don't think he has the energy/Mobilty to run a game.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Liverpool had something like 69% possession in that game and dozens of shots on goal compared to one or two from us. They owned midfield. It was our back four that dominated in that game.

Mockney

The best midfielders are usually the ones who can run a game, consists of great passing technique, mobility and ability on the ball, composure to take people on when under pressure and creativity and vision. They get the ball off defenders or defensive midfielders and construct and conduct moves, artists.

Someone who could do all three would be the complete midfielder. I think Anderson has the potential to run games.. he has a long way to go but I think if we played him with the right players he has it in him.
I agree completely. Which is why I stick up for him far more than any of the other "flops" people like to lambast (Berba, Nani etc)...Because it's still within him to do it, and he is progressing that way.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That's the thing though? Did he dominate the game? Nani was our best performer but I think Anderson took all the plaudits if I remember clearly. His best moments were holding off people, what he did with Toure was sublime. A nutmeg on Fabregas and a good header to Rooney.

Was his performance in that match known for his great range of passing though? Out of interest, if I remember correctly he was playing in a much more advanced position in that game, was he not?
There was a vid on youtube showcasing every touch he had from that game, I don't know if its still available but I assure you he was immense that game and Nani whilst he was very good, Anderson was more influential in terms of getting us playing our football.

Mockney

Liverpool had something like 69% possession in that game and dozens of shots on goal compared to one or two from us. They owned midfield. It was our back four that dominated in that game.
At Anfield you'd expect that (though I'd contest the actual number)...We dominated against Arsenal at OT in 06/07 and they were still the better team (even this year in fact). We dominated possession against Birmingham just last week and didn't deserve to win. Possession stats don't tell the story. Ando was instrumental that day IMO

johnmufc

The only reason Anderson got his chance today was because Fergie was taking off his best midfielder to rest him for City. He did the same giving Diouf and Owen a chance by taking off his best strikers.

Anderson did well today but he's overrated by the majority of our supporters.
He was embarrassing against Leeds and I can't remember him ever stringing more than 1 decent performance together. He is young but he's been in the first team set-up for 3 years now, so we should be expecting some consistency from him. His complete lack of a goal threat remains, as does his defensive naivety, but he has added a bit of incisiveness with his creating of chances and passing. Plus his energy and enthusiasm is always a big positive.

Boss

There was a vid on youtube showcasing every touch he had from that game, I don't know if its still available but I assure you he was immense that game and Nani whilst he was very good, Anderson was more influential in terms of getting us playing our football.
Take it back, my apologies, he was even better than I thought in this game. It seemed he was playing in a more attacking role though where he could run at people etc which still makes me believe we are using him in the wrong way.

He can not dictate a game in the center of midfield so we should try utilize him in a more advanced position. Problem is when Ferguson used him as a left winger this season he had a 'mare.

Dailymotion - Anderson vs Arsenal by antooz - a Sports & Extreme video

twitter thread suggester
The 'Andersen's performance against Fabrgas is way overhyped' has become a much bigger myth than the original statement.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The only reason Anderson got his chance today was because Fergie was taking off his best midfielder to rest him for City. He did the same giving Diouf and Owen a chance by taking off his best strikers.

He was embarrassing against Leeds and I can't remember him ever stringing more than 1 decent performance together. He is young but he's been in the first team set-up for 3 years now, so we should be expecting some consistency from him. His complete lack of a goal threat remains, as does his defensive naivety, but he has added a bit of incisiveness with his creating of chances and passing. Plus his energy and enthusiasm is always a big positive.
He was one of our best players in that game.

Mainoldo

He was our better midfielder against Leeds and i don't know what taking off Micheal Carrick has to do with criticising Anderson? I would have also left out 'taking off his best midfielder' He was non exsistant... Which made Anderson's cameo seem so great!!

Mainoldo

The 'Andersen's performance against Fabrgas is way overhyped' has become a much bigger myth than the original statement.
The people that take it too serious are the ones at fault... A lot of people were over exaggerating although he did own him!!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Take it back, my apologies, he was even better than I thought in this game. It seemed he was playing in a more attacking role though where he could run at people etc which still makes me believe we are using him in the wrong way.

He can not dictate a game in the center of midfield so we should try utilize him in a more advanced position. Problem is when Ferguson used him as a left winger this season he had a 'mare.

No worries, thanks for finding it!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not in the 2-2 draw though, which is where I believe it all started. Fabregas outshone him in everyway.
Only late in the match, if I remember correctly. I wouldn't say Anderson dominated him, but he at least held his own (if not was slightly on top) for the first 55 minutes or so. Around that point Anderson started to fall away (as he always did back then), and Fabregas really did start dominating the match for the final half an hour or so.

Godfather

Nah I'm not so sure.

Gibson's passing accuracy is statistically better than Anderson, and I've thought that Gibson's shown himself to be quite decent at not giving the ball away, he just hasn't done a lot more than that in a passing sense very often (in that he probably plays the simple pass too often, but then Fletcher was the same right up until midway through last season IMO).
Well he fecked up almost every single simple pass in his last game for us as well so I'm not so sure about that

Mockney

yes he can. That video shows one example of it straight off

Not in the 2-2 draw though, which is where I believe it all started. Fabregas outshone him in everyway.
Of course (about the exaggeration, not the Fab outshining him in everyway bit). It's exaggerated to feck. But all good and bad things are in football. But then that exaggeration is used as an argument "against" by people with a grudge against him...Despite the fact he was fantastic in those two games. Basically it goes something like this " "Yeah he was good, but not as good as the myth suggests, therefore he's shit"...Well no one's claiming he should be voted player of the year for it, but the damning of the exaggeration becomes so pastiched that his best performances end up becoming used against him in arguments why he's not that great just because people are so fecking anal about shit, thus making his best performances unusable in arguments for him, because his detractors will just say ":lol:...oh that game...ha, so overatated, what a cliche, you're an idiot for thinking that"...And so the only games his supporters are "allowed" to use as examples to fight his corner, are his shit ones..Fair?...No.

johnmufc

He had a good game when we beat Arsenal 4-0 in the FA Cup, but Fletcher and Carrick were even better - Fletcher scoring the 2 goals and Carrick assisting one of Fletcher's and Nani's goal.

He also had a good game in the 3-1 win at the Emirates but that was an outstanding team performance more than anything.

Is it a coincidence that in both of those games he played in a 3 man midfield with Carrick and Fletcher? I think that's the only way we'll get the best out of Anderson - on a consistent level anyway.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791

Wow, that was exceptional. Forgot how good he really can be and he seems to be an excellent runner with ball - he does it occasionally but he is played in a defensive role now a days and can't showcase his attacking qualities and they are for all to see when he is played in a more advanced role.

Status
Not open for further replies.