Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
You can't be serious. Come back when he's dominating minefields for 90 minutes and playing top teams off the park. That is the benchmark for what is expected at this club. All this is is, yet another, promising cameo.
Pocco 3 points is 3 poinds regardless of opponents. Even Sir Alex highlighted the change after his introduction.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think Fergie knows his players better than we do. Coming on around the hour mark against a team who have worked their balls off for an hour isn't the same as starting games. We've seen him start games before and play shite. He's had injury problems and the manager is obviously trying to manage him in order to get the best out of him. I say leave him to it. I imagine he will start on Wednesday and if he plays as well again the. The manager is going to find it hard not to play him.
Up until he came on we weren't great and this was at home to QPR....We've also seen him start games well. In the old days, our mentality was get the game won early......but over the years we've lost that.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Ando came up big today, but let's be honest: We won the game off of two corner kicks, which Ando had nothing to do with.

Still, I love what he brought off the bench today. Now what I want to see is if he can put in that kind of performance for 90+ minutes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ando came up big today, but let's be honest: We won the game off of two corner kicks, which Ando had nothing to do with.

Still, I love what he brought off the bench today. Now what I want to see is if he can put in that kind of performance for 90+ minutes.
Rafael cleared off the line with minutes to go. The goal Anderson set up could have been crucial. Besides, the drive and energy he introduced surely must have given the players a lift. Football is played in the mind, big time.

JohnLocke

Seems Ando can't win. Comes on as a sub and plays great, but since it was a cameo it doesn't matter.

Anyway, great performance today and hopefully get some more minutes on Wednesday.

yamo123x

What Ando gives us is positivity, he is always looking forward and can carry the ball forward. Something carrick scholes giggs fletcher and co cannot do.

If only he could get his fitness levels and shooting sorted out.

If we are playing a diamond I'd play him with carrick and kagawa/ cleverly.

Rossa

Who was the fool who argued that Anderson didn't have pace? His quick burst of pace to get free of two QPR players and then that sublime pass to Hernandez was world class. I wish he could do that on a more regular basis. I'm a bit fed up with the "he must do this for 90 minutes to be good enough" crap, as there are almost no players who perform for 90 minutes. All players drift in and out of games. When Ando runs, he runs at full pelt, and that must surely exhaust him more than it will Carrick's 80% runs.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I'm pretty sure Ando stops running when he gets to a certain range of the opposition box because he's dire in front of goal though, you see it sometimes when people run beyond him, he just stops outside the box.

acnumber9

Seems Ando can't win. Comes on as a sub and plays great, but since it was a cameo it doesn't matter.

Anyway, great performance today and hopefully get some more minutes on Wednesday.
Who said it doesn't matter? People are calling for a sense of perspective on the performance and what it means.

acnumber9

I'm pretty sure Ando stops running when he gets to a certain range of the opposition box because he's dire in front of goal though, you see it sometimes when people run beyond him, he just stops outside the box.
He doesn't run toward his own goal much either. That's something that will need to change.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
He doesn't run toward his own goal much either. That's something that will need to change.
He does though, but I know what your getting at. He's a forward thinker, he sits outside our area waiting for a break, and in all honesty, when it breaks for him we tend to drive up the pitch. Obviously the flip is that we have one less body in the box to defend, but we're Man Utd, we shouldn't care about one more body in the box tbh.

JohnLocke

Who said it doesn't matter? People are calling for a sense of perspective on the performance and what it means.
Pocco said to come back when he's dominating world class midfield for 90 mins. Although I didn't read much before that.

A sense of perspective on the performance is that it was decided he should be a sub and come on after 60ish mins, and when he did he played very well. What it means is that he came on as a sub and played very well.

What we all hope is that it can be followed up with good performances over a whole match.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
This season we all know(or the vast majority) he's been our best central midfielder when given a chance but keeps getting over looked for alternative players. Today for me was the icing in the cake, Scholes & Fletcher. I honestly can't think of a worse current pairing in the PL. Well actually QPR (bottom team in the league) proved that at OT for 60+mins today.

Anderson is exactly what our team is missing but it appears SAF is looking at the the wings and forwards for the reasons behind our slow, predictable play.

Hopefully he will realise its the centre mid where the problem is occurring.

Claymore

He's got to be started now surely? That little burst and assist was more than most of our mids have offered all season. I always wanted us to keep him despite the injuries and thought it was amazing so many wanted to get rid.

kps88

He's got to be started now surely? That little burst and assist was more than most of our mids have offered all season. I always wanted us to keep him despite the injuries and thought it was amazing so many wanted to get rid.
Lost count of the amount of times we've said this after he impresses only to see him remain on the bench.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I just hope Fergies doing what I think he's doing and bringing on his fitness at a sensible pace to give him every chance of being an important player to us from Christmas onwards.

The Neviller

I just hope Fergies doing what I think he's doing and bringing on his fitness at a sensible pace to give him every chance of being an important player to us from Christmas onwards.
It looks obvious to me that that's what he's doing. If he can get fully fit, build up his stamina and stay fit, I think he'll be very important to us from that period you've suggested, and I think Fergie knows it too. The belief that this is what he's doing is what makes me understand him not being thrown in to start every week.

Brightonian

Same. I only wish we had a similarly reassuring reason why he's not playing Cleverley, who hardly seems the sort to need so much rest. Maybe because he played the Olympics?

The Neviller

Same. I only wish we had a similarly reassuring reason why he's not playing Cleverley, who hardly seems the sort to need so much rest. Maybe because he played the Olympics?
Maybe. Plus he missed a feckload of game last season with niggly little injuries after he had his major injury. Maybe they aren't all cleared up, maybe he's being carefully managed too. I think it's clear Fergie rates both, or neither would still be here.

buckooo1978

in what was a fairly lethargic display he was like a hummingbird darting from flower to flower....

or in less bullshit terms he was hungry and energetic - well played Ando

he and Cleverley provide a dynamism we don't get with our other midfielders

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Pocco said to come back when he's dominating world class midfield for 90 mins. Although I didn't read much before that.

A sense of perspective on the performance is that it was decided he should be a sub and come on after 60ish mins, and when he did he played very well. What it means is that he came on as a sub and played very well.

What we all hope is that it can be followed up with good performances over a whole match.
I did, because someone said Anderson is proving his critics wrong once again. I don't think anybody doubts that Anderson could have an impact coming on against a bottom of the league team for the final 30 mins. It seems that as soon as Anderson does something good people want to jump at the chance to say they've been proven right. As others have said, a bit of perspective is needed.

acnumber9

What you've said in your last two paragraphs is all anybody else is saying. I haven't seen a single person say anything close to his performance not mattering.

acnumber9

This season we all know(or the vast majority) he's been our best central midfielder when given a chance but keeps getting over looked for alternative players. Today for me was the icing in the cake, Scholes & Fletcher. I honestly can't think of a worse current pairing in the PL. Well actually QPR (bottom team in the league) proved that at OT for 60+mins today.

Anderson is exactly what our team is missing but it appears SAF is looking at the the wings and forwards for the reasons behind our slow, predictable play.

Bollocks. If QPR's midfield pairing was better why did we dominate possession?

Devil may care

It's interesting that we seem to be more wary of overplaying Anderson and Cleverley than we do Fletcher who has been out so long with a serious illness. At any rate those comments from SAF hopefully turn into a start for Anderson on Wednesday in the way Hernandez performance against Villa as a sub led to a start.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I think Saf knows where the problem lies in all fairness!

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I love this guy. His game is by no means perfect but he does stuff that our other midfielders can't. Some of his driving runs are brilliant and he has that ability to perform at a high level when at his best. Hopefully get regular games without injuries soon

I'm always right

Because possession is about more than 2 people in midfield, and dominating is about more than just possession.

Whichever way you look at it, Scholes / Fletcher in a 2 is a truly awful midfield for Manchester United in 2012, it's unreal.

I'm always right

Not having that.

Watch the Braga away game again and you'll see the vast amount of defensive work he got through. In the games where it is needed, Anderson isn't shy of putting a defensive shift in.

All 3 United

Yes & what did we do with that possession. We were 0-1 down against QPR at home with that pairing and didn't even look like scoring until the changes.

Practically every poster on here could have guessed we would have lots of possession and do nothing with it due to the central
midfield pairing.

Zen86

Yes & what did we do with that possession. We were 0-1 down against QPR at home with that pairing and didn't even look like scoring until the changes.

Practically every poster on here could have guessed we would have lots of possession and do nothing with it due to the central
midfield pairing.
Incredible revisionism. You make it sound like we got battered before the change, when in reality we came fractionally close numerous times until they hit us on the break. QPR defended very well and if not for a few very good blocks, we would've scored the opener and probably gone on to win by more.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Anderson brings energy and directness to the game which others are lacking at this moment in time.

All 3 United

Incredible revisionism. You make it sound like we got battered before the change, when in reality we came fractionally close numerous times until they hit us on the break. QPR defended very well and if not for a few very good blocks, we would've scored the opener and probably gone on to win by more.
No I didn't say we got battered, we did exactly what most predicted, passed the ball aimlessly about the middle of the park with no real forward runs or momentum. Eventually being picked off by a mediocre attack, not just on one occasion for the goal but also on a few others, including the marginally offside goal in the first half.

Lets not kid ourselves QPR were bloody awful but IMHO we would not have won that game without bringing on Anderson and Hernandez.

Personally I would prefer to go 3 up with our best 1st 11 and then look at resting key players after.

Zen86

We probably wouldn't have won no, all the more so with us being 1-0 down at the time. Lets just not pretend that we created nothing yesterday until the change, as that really isn't the case.

All 3 United

We probably wouldn't have won no, all the more so with us being 1-0 down at the time. Lets just not pretend that we created nothing yesterday until the change, as that really isn't the case.
Fair enough, i accept we did create some chances but nothing like you'd expect a Man Utd team against the bottom of the league team with no manager.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
To be fair we were clueless, and hardly created much until Anderson came on and injected some much needed directness and urgency. Noods Zombie thread is very apt for yesterdays performance.

I'm always right

We created a couple of half chances at home against the team who currently prop up the Premier League. Revisionism is saying we came "fractionally close"... when was this?

In short, we were completely clueless, just as Sult's said.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Amazing how he's gone from being a player written off to someone who it's a travesty isn't in our first XI so quickly, and yet all the attention is on whether or not he starts and not the fact that he's becoming a very good midfielder. Has the tools to become one of the best in the league.

With his injury track record it's clear that SAF is trying to protect him. We have a squad that allows us that luxury. He's also an excellent option to have on the bench - much like Hernandez in that sense.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Amazing how he's gone from being a player written off to someone who it's a travesty isn't in our first XI so quickly, and yet all the attention is on whether or not he starts and not the fact that he's becoming a very good midfielder. Has the tools to become one of the best in the league.

With his injury track record it's clear that SAF is trying to protect him. We have a squad that allows us that luxury. He's also an excellent option to have on the bench - much like Hernandez in that sense.
he is the best of a pretty mediocre bunch at present.

I'm always right

the fact that he's becoming a very good midfielder. Has the tools to become one of the best in the league.
Yeah I think this is the most important thing to concentrate on, anyone who has watched him closely this season must surely see the improvement. Yeah of course he will still have a crap or average game or 2 every now and then, as do even Rooney and RVP, but overall I think it's been obvious this season that Anderson is becoming a very very good all-round midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.