Television Andor (Star Wars series) - Disney+

mu4c_20le

I thought the last episode was great, really good bonding there. It's starting to pick up for sure.

Sylar

Next week's ep should be really good. Said it before but I'm glad we're seeing stuff from the empires perspective. More build and fleshing out of characters on the dark side of things

I can see why people would struggle with the latest one as a one off

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think I like it the most out of all Star Wars TV series so far.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really good episode - the tension & pacing were great. Visuals were very impressive too.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There were some absolutely brilliant visuals. That journal at the end feels like a Chekhov’s gun for Andor now.

At least I think…I misuse terms like that and macguffins, tropes, and Mary Sues etc. sometimes.

mu4c_20le

Finally some pew pew action and people getting owned by lasers. Now it feels like Star Wars.

harms

Staff
There were some absolutely brilliant visuals. That journal at the end feels like a Chekhov’s gun for Andor now.

At least I think…I misuse terms like that and macguffins, tropes, and Mary Sues etc. sometimes.
You think he'll shoot someone with it in the end? :p

Chekhov's original concept was a bit different, it was about the strict necessity of introduced objects/ideas in a theater play where even the most inconspicuous object that seemingly doesn't have any purpose finds it in the end (or otherwise it shouldn't be there). Manifesto that is passed onto him following a dying will of his fallen friend (even if their friendship was quite brief) sets up a very direct story arc from the get-go, so it's not a random and seemingly pointless object that is going to somehow play a part in a story.

In LOTR (spoilers!! :lol:) the ring isn't a Chekhov's gun but a vial that Galadriel gives him kinda is — we don't know its purpose but eventually it saves them against Shelob. Although usually it's an even less on-the-nose thing.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
You think he'll shoot someone with it in the end? :p

Chekhov's original concept was a bit different, it was about the strict necessity of introduced objects/ideas in a theater play where even the most inconspicuous object that seemingly doesn't have any purpose finds it in the end (or otherwise it shouldn't be there). Manifesto that is passed onto him following a dying will of his fallen friend (even if their friendship was quite brief) sets up a very direct story arc from the get-go, so it's not a random and seemingly pointless object that is going to somehow play a part in a story.

In LOTR (spoilers!! :lol:) the ring isn't a Chekhov's gun but a vial that Galadriel gives him kinda is — we don't know its purpose but eventually it saves them against Shelob. Although usually it's an even less on-the-nose thing.
Thanks for the explainer.

I was thinking more about from when it was introduced earlier when the weird little guy was talking Andor’s ear off about it, and it eventually maybe now leading to a change of heart down the road.

Has the term “Chekhov’s gun” changed slightly over time? When I try to look into it, I seem to get slightly varying results.

harms

Staff
Thanks for the explainer.

I was thinking more about from when it was introduced earlier when the weird little guy was talking Andor’s ear off about it, and it eventually maybe now leading to a change of heart down the road.

Has the term “Chekhov’s gun” changed slightly over time? When I try to look into it, I seem to get slightly varying results.
Yeah, as it's often the case with specific concepts that get integrated into popular culture their original meaning often gets distilled if not disappears completely. Like Schrödinger's cat.

It's clearly going to help him find his true path as an ideological rebel instead of a rebel for hire unless they pull up some M. Night Shyamalan-esque twist but it's highly unlikely.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's a shame this show isn't getting as much attention as the other Star Wars shows as this is comfortably the best one. The pacing is a little slow, I feel like the weekly format doesn't overly work for it. Releasing it in 3 episode chunks may have been a better move.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I like everything about it individually and yet I can't help think it's quite boring and a bit of a chore. Maybe I'm just spoiled for choice at the moment.

Spoony

The People's President
I enjoyed the last 20 mins. Aesthetically...it's fantastic but I must admit that's its not really gripped me.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I can't help but love this show. It's got a strong blade runner vibe at times and its so refreshing to get a proper inside look into being an Imperial officer.

We've got a 3 episode story coming up which presumably is set in a prison and I guess will result in Andor escaping. You can tell looking at who's directed and wrote the episodes and how the structure is formed. A star wars prison will be interesting and I guess this will also end up being the final motivation for Andor to join the rebellion.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Even when it’s slow, I want more of it. Quite the feat with lore that has been milked dry in the past.

The brilliant ensemble cast helps a lot, but it also just has a cool ‘vibe’ in general.

Sylar

I think being away from the skywalkers has been a great thing (even though this leads to the movie which leads to ep3)
refreshing to get a proper inside look into being an Imperial officer.
I think this has been a really pleasant thing theyve provided us with. Its not 'one dimensional villains'

Zen86

Watched the first 6 episodes over the last couple of evenings. This is by far the best SW series to date. Pretty much everything else they’ve released has been very… Disney. This has me hooked.

Hamnat

Just watched the latest episode and it continues to deliver. I thought after the big heist episode there would be a sort of narrative comedown here. But, I dont think that happened at all even without action scenes. I was gripped by the tension this whole episode. The clandestine meetings, the setups and networking at Mon Mothma's party.

Even the Imperial infighting is interesting and tension filled.

stevoc

I watched the first 3 episodes and thought it was a bit meh. Will I think any different if I watch episodes 4,5 & 6? Does it get any better?

Spoony

The People's President
I watched the first 3 episodes and thought it was a bit meh. Will I think any different if I watch episodes 4,5 & 6? Does it get any better?
No. That said the writers said the last third will be more exciting. But up to now it's been lacklustre and really difficult to get into. I find the high ratings really bizarre.

stevoc

No. That said the writers said the last third will be more exciting. But up to now it's been lacklustre and really difficult to get into. I find the high ratings really bizarre.
Yes a lot better.
Eh I really liked Rogue One and wanted to like this. Think I'll give it another episode or two but my expectations are low.

Spoony

The People's President
Eh I really liked Rogue One and wanted to like this. Think I'll give it another episode or two but my expectations are low.

To be fair, it looks great and I still think it could pick up but it's not exactly Mandolorian.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
To be fair, it looks great and I still think it could pick up but it's not exactly Mandolorian.
No, it's much better imo. It's not your standard Star Wars show with light sabers, gimmicks or silly writing. I love Star Wars and have watched all the live action content that Disney have vomited out and this feels the most adult, serious and in depth Star Wars show to date. I always preferred the idea of the rebellion over the concept of the Jedi so this is like my perfect show. I can understand if some find it boring as the action has been tied to the end of each story arc rather than dispersed throughout each episode.

stevoc

Yeah visually it's great. Its the story that's a bit light, up until Ep 3 anyway.

harms

Staff
Mando was a bit too repetitive with its 90's story per episode structure, everything had to be settled within those 30 minutes. Same goes for Bobba Fett. Obi Wan just wasn't very good at all.

Here you can finally breath in and enjoy the atmosphere. It's sacrilegious to compare it to Better Call Saul and I certainly don't say that it's even close to that level but the change of the tempo is kinda similar.

Spoony

The People's President
Immensely enjoyed Mando, especially the nod to Kurosawa. As for this I'm not sure you can breathe and enjoy this series,I'm struggling even as a person who likes SW. I actually liked that it wasn't too Star Warsy but I've found the storyline a snoozefest. However I loved the tie fighters over the British greenery...bizarre yet amazing at the same time. I'm hoping the last few episodes suck me in...not that I'm particularly waiting in anticipation. And BCS - wash your mouth out man!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Immensely enjoyed Mando, especially the nod to Kurosawa. As for this I'm not sure you can breathe and enjoy this series,I'm struggling even as a person who likes SW. I actually liked that it wasn't too Star Warsy but I've found the storyline a snoozefest. However I loved the tie fighters over the British greenery...bizarre yet amazing at the same time. I'm hoping the last few episodes suck me in...not that I'm particularly waiting in anticipation. And BCS - wash your mouth out man!
Decent show for one watch but Cassian is a bit depressive character indeed, Mando doesn't talk much and Fett looks like a half senile barely fitting the armor, not to mention looking too tired to have any thrilling delivery.

Someday Star Wars definitely could use some cool / adventurous character like Solo from New Hope or let's say Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice type.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's better than the Mandalorian, possibly in every single way. The Mandalorian was 21st century Xena Warrior Princess, except not half as fun.

It's a bit slow, but sometimes that's good. I've enjoyed it, cautiously. The episode before last was brilliant.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It definitely picked up and I’m enjoying it but it’s not as good as made out in here.

I rewatched Rogue One today, which is better than I remember, and the Andor character seems a bit different to the series so I’d like to see how that changes and plays out

nimic

something nice
Scout
I like slow but this is just for you, Nimic, and your mates.
There's a level of slow even I won't tolerate, and that level is Too Old to Die Young. Miles Teller is actually great in it, but feck me it's slow. Scenes often begin and end with excruciatingly slow camera pans. I literally skipped through at least half of each episode.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I rewatched Rogue One today, which is better than I remember, and the Andor character seems a bit different to the series so I’d like to see how that changes and plays out
I actually like this. Too often characters which show up in prequels are essentially the exact same, fully formed character that we already knew. See: Han Solo.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I actually like this. Too often characters which show up in prequels are essentially the exact same, fully formed character that we already knew. See: Han Solo.
I’d say he’s a bit less polished, more gritty and raw in Andor. I think there’s also an element of kitschiness in the Rogue One character that isn’t there in the Andor one, which makes it a little less real and somewhat hard to reconcile (I don’t know how you get less gritty with more espionage) but I can forgive that given it’s a Star Wars film and that’s basically what you should expect from them in certain parts.